Bay Area May 11-14

Malones19

Headed to the bay area for a Conference starting on the 14th, but will be flying in saturday morning.

Looking to at the following possible schedule

May 11 - 1pm or later at Pacific Grove

May 12 - Pasatiempo GC

May 13 - Sharp Park GC

I have played Pebble before so I don't need to drop $500, but would be open to suggestions or if anyone wants to join for a round I am more than happy to play a round and have a beer.

Never played Spyglass before, not sure I want to drop $400, but is it worth the twilight rate of $250? Or should I do a 36 day at Blackhorse/bayonet?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eventually Sharp Park will be wonderful again, I haven't played it in years, great layout. If your a Mackenzie fan then play it, you'll have a blast.

If you're trying to stay on a budget stay with Pacific Grove.

I don't need perfect conditions to appreciate the layout, so I will take a chance at Sharp Park.

Not necessarily on a budget if something is a must play and I haven't played. I got some feelers out to a couple of connected friends to see if there are any other options available, but I was late to the game so i am not expecting much.

Last time, I was in town I played Past and Pebble and as much as I want to play Pebble again. I remember being blown away by Pasa!

Regardless of greenfee, Spy isn't worth it compared to Pasa, Bayonet/Blackhorse, Poppy.

If the weather is nice and you want to fill your boots:

Pasa

Bayonet/Blackhorse

Back 9 at PG/Poppy

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Bay area ... where? Most of the above courses are a good hour or two drive with good traffic conditions from "the Bay Area". If staying in S F try Harding Park Fun course great staff or The Presidio

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

So my flight landed at 10:30am, by the time a get my rental car/luggage I am guessing I am on the road at 12pm

I can do Sharp Park on arrival then drive to Monterey or drive to Monterey and play Pacific Grove or Bayonet.

Saturday or Sunday will be Pasatiempo - they have a golf now time around 11am for $170.

Sunday can be an early round in Monterey then I need to head into the city and check in my hotel in Union Square area.

What are some restaurants that are must visits in the bay area?

Thanks for the help everyone. if anyone is in the area an wants to play DM me, I am 35 and 5 hdcp.

Bay area ... where? Most of the above courses are a good hour or two drive with good traffic conditions from "the Bay Area". If staying in S F try Harding Park Fun course great staff or The Presidio

I was struggling with staying in the Bay area or going down to Monterey for the first few days.

Conference is in Union Square area, but arriving early to golf.

Have played Harding Park on a previous trip and enjoyed.

I was struggling with staying in the Bay area or going down to Monterey for the first few days.

Conference is in Union Square area, but arriving early to golf.

Have played Harding Park on a previous trip and enjoyed.

Try the Presidio, one of the oldest courses on the west coast

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Please, please, please do not park your car anywhere in The City with your clubs in the car. We have a terrible auto burglary problem and clubs and luggage in a rental car are prime targets.

You can absolutely play Sharp on your arrival day. It is less than 15 minutes from SFO to Pacifica. You shouldn’t have a problem with your bags in the trunk at Sharp while you play.

Black Horse & Bayonet are a cool 36 to play in one day.

Please, please, please do not park your car anywhere in The City with your clubs in the car. We have a terrible auto burglary problem and clubs and luggage in a rental car are prime targets.

You can absolutely play Sharp on your arrival day. It is less than 15 minutes from SFO to Pacifica. You shouldn't have a problem with your bags in the trunk at Sharp while you play.

I will make sure luggage and clubs always make it to my hotel room.

36 option at Black Horse & Bayonet are sounding more appealing and then leaving Pasatiempo for Sunday on my way back to the city.

Regardless of greenfee, Spy isn't worth it compared to Pasa, Bayonet/Blackhorse, Poppy.

If the weather is nice and you want to fill your boots:

Pasa

Bayonet/Blackhorse

Back 9 at PG/Poppy

Eh, duffer! I have to respectfully disagree, Spyglass is phenomenal. It is a must play ,you must have it mixed up with Spanish Bay.

Different opinions indeed, makes the world go around and all that :)

I think it's a pretty repetitive slog once you are past the first 5 holes.

It would be a nice addition to the RTJ Trail in Alabama, which is the level it's at.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You can absolutely play Sharp on your arrival day. It is less than 15 minutes from SFO to Pacifica. You shouldn't have a problem with your bags in the trunk at Sharp while you play.

I will make sure luggage and clubs always make it to my hotel room.

36 option at Black Horse & Bayonet are sounding more appealing and then leaving Pasatiempo for Sunday on my way back to the city.

Sounds good - definitely think Pasa is best as your afternoon round on the way down or on the way back up, so you can have two nights in the same spot in Monterey/Pacific Grove.

On my own or with the GF I'm a big fan of the laid back PG. With the fellas it's Monterey so there are more drinks options.

There are lots of decent small hotel/motels in PG within walking distance of town centre. I'd recommend Passionfish for dinner. Their duck confit was the best duck I'd had in ages back in Feb, just fell off the bone.

F.T.

I would skip Sharp Park, the layout is okay, but the conditions are pretty poor. Half the fairways are brown, the other half, the grass in the fairway is high enough to obscure your ball. Plenty of other good suggestions in this thread. Maybe check out Half Moon Bay and then take the 1 down to Santa Cruz?

I have to second this comment. Sharp Park, regardless of who designed it, is probably going to disappoint you considering the other courses you are planning to play. Even if you can get a round in during the week, it is not well kept or interesting and can get pretty marshy on some of the back nine holes near the ocean. I only played it once, and I lived right near by if that tells you anything. I am pretty sure there aren't any ocean views either but I can't really remember as it's been a few years. You can easily take 101 to 92 and then head south on 1 to get to the HMB course from the airport. I think the course is near or affiliated with the Ritz Calrton in HMB.

Poppy is in great shape. After May there will no no carts allowed off the path to prep for a tourney in July. Pasatiempo punched a few weeks ago and is good now but should be great next week. Bayonet Blackhorse is always great. San Juan Oaks is a really well designed course, not too busy because of location I assume and the rates are pretty dam good. Great range too. Winds can be brutal in the afternoon. Wente in Livermore is fun. The rough can be absurd and the greens are like putting glass at times.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. gambit- thanks for the course condition update as well.

I have Pasa booked and will probably do Bayonet/Blackhourse combo or Poppy Hills.

Looks like Spyglass is booked this weekend for a NCGA event.

R u an NCGA member? If not, and you're going to play Bayonet/Blackhorse and Poppy, it would definitely be worth it for you to get one. The rate drop for Poppy alone is worth it and you'll get pro shop discounts too.

I am not a NCGA member, coming from Canada.

What are the NCGA rates for the courses?

I see golfnow has Poppy at 130 (rack rate looks to be 260) and Bayonet/Blackhorse can be had for less than $150 for 36 vs $195 36 hole offer on their website.

To join NCGA now would cost between ~69 - 110 depending on the club that you join.

NCGA rates would be $80 or $100, reply would be $60 for Bayonet/ Blackhorse. Poppy Hills would be $80 Mon. - Thurs, Friday and Sunday $100, Saturday $110

Poppy now is great, waste areas like Pinehurst. Great layout in forest setting.

Half Moon Bay is enjoyable; old course has a better layout, more challenging, Ocean course is links like but fairly easy track because everything runs up and down next to each other.

Pasa is a great track.

Would skip Sharp, name notwithstanding.

As for dinner in SF, Farallon (great seafood); Alfred's (old style steakhouse with red leather booths).

Ended up driving straight to Pacific Grove after seeing and playing 18, then Bayonet and Pasatiempo. Had the afternoon after my conference in the city and caught a twilight round at Harding Park.

Love PG and scenery would play again. Bayonet was great probably should have done 36 this day.

Pasatiempo was amassing as expected and in awesome shape. The couple I played with had a caddy (Corey McElyea??) former top AM and aspiring pro which was nice to have in the group.

Harding was in great shape since they had a NCAA event the week before.