2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Zoysia Greens!

driveandputtmachine

I was a member for roughly a year of a course that ended up in bankruptcy, GHIN dues not being paid and countless other issues forced my hand and I left the club. Well they seem to have my email in their membership database still and I get all kinds of updates about the state of the club. Last night I went back and was reading through the emails and they are converting their bent grass greens to some variety of dwarf Zoysia.

So from the outside I guess it makes sense, Atlanta has very few bent grass golf courses anymore, the heat is just too rough on them in the summer. Bermuda didn't make sense there because of the amount of shade on many of the greens. For anyone that doesn't know the longer grass of bermuda that is used for fairways does better in the shade than Champion or Tiff or mini Bermuda(just not enough blade length I am told) however Bermuda is just not a good choice no matter what for shade.

So has anyone putted on a variety of dwarf Zoysia? Is it any good? My current course is head and shoulders above this one, so I am not going back, but the Zoysia piqued my interest into whether it was a financial decision. You know some farm wants to get people using Zoysia, so they gave the course a good deal on it with the understanding of having other courses come and check it out or something similar.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a member for roughly a year of a course that ended up in bankruptcy, GHIN dues not being paid and countless other issues forced my hand and I left the club. Well they seem to have my email in their membership database still and I get all kinds of updates about the state of the club. Last night I went back and was reading through the emails and they are converting their bent grass greens to some variety of dwarf Zoysia.

So from the outside I guess it makes sense, Atlanta has very few bent grass golf courses anymore, the heat is just too rough on them in the summer. Bermuda didn't make sense there because of the amount of shade on many of the greens. For anyone that doesn't know the longer grass of bermuda that is used for fairways does better in the shade than Champion or Tiff or mini Bermuda(just not enough blade length I am told) however Bermuda is just not a good choice no matter what for shade.

So has anyone putted on a variety of dwarf Zoysia? Is it any good? My current course is head and shoulders above this one, so I am not going back, but the Zoysia piqued my interest into whether it was a financial decision. You know some farm wants to get people using Zoysia, so they gave the course a good deal on it with the understanding of having other courses come and check it out or something similar.

I no longer get the emails from Crooked Creek but I drove by on my way home from Crystal Falls and saw the 11th green to be just dirt. Then a couple days ago I read they closed the course for three months to change the greens to Zoysia. It also said they were going to do some updates in the clubhouse. I am also curious on what others will say about putting on Zoysia greens. Like you I will not be returning. By the end of the year I will be moving to Ocala, FL and living at Trilogy at Ocala Preserve. I am having a home built there and should be ready in November.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Here's the latest I have.......

Crooked Creek Renovation Update

6/8/2018

We have lot going on this week at Crooked Creek Club and continue to move forward full steam ahead with both golf course and clubhouse renovations projects. As with any large-scale renovation project there are always unique sets of challenges that are not anticipated but we are very happy with the progress we have made so far. Below are a few of the projects that we have been working on this week.

New Golf Course Equipment Package

Pieces of our new equipment package started arriving this week. This is the first of several deliveries that will continue to arrive thru next week. Here are a couple of pictures of one of our new rough units and one of (two) new new buffalo blowers!

IMG_0695.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

Toro Irrigation Clock Installation

Six of our new Toro Irrigation Clocks arrived this week and installation has started. The remaining clocks will arrive and be installed early next week. This will give us full control of our irrigation system and the ability to set watering programs that will be necessary as we start the greens grassing process. Below is a picture one of our new clocks.

IMG_1503.jpeg

Pump House Renovation

The computer that controls the pumphouse was installed this week. This completes our renovation of the pump house. We were able to power the system up for testing and the system is now running at 100%. We were even able to test a few green, fairway, and surround heads. See pictures below. What a beautiful sight! Once the remainder of our irrigation control clocks are installed we will systematically start testing every head on property starting with green heads first. Once we are confident that our green heads are operating correctly, we will be in great position to begin our grass resurfacing project.

IMG_0696.JPGIMG_0697.JPG

New Outdoor Furniture

We placed an order for our new outdoor furniture this week. These “deep seating” sectionals will allow us to create inviting, casual, seating areas for our members to enjoy. We are anticipating a three to four-week turnaround with installation by the end of June. Below is a sample of the furniture. Firepits will replace the glass table you see in the picture below.

IMG_1494.jpeg

New Televisions

The first of several new televisions were purchased and installed this week. The next time you visit the club you will see a new 40’ Samsung television installed in the Trophy Room as well as a new 55’ Samsung television installed over the fireplace in the Champions Room. We also placed orders for two new weather proof outdoor televisions that will be installed in comfortable viewing areas for our members to enjoy.

IMG_0691.JPGIMG_0693.JPG

New Bag Stands

20 new bag stands were ordered this week for the driving range. Below is a rendering of our design. Each stand comes with a cup and accessory holder. These are attractive, highly durable, and functional bag stands that will set our practice facility apart from other private clubs in the area.

CCC-Bag-Stand.jpg

New Kitchen Equipment

Although not a highly visual or sexy investment, there were several pieces of equipment in our kitchen that needed to be replaced or upgraded for us to continue to produce the type of product and experience our members have become accustomed to receiving from our F&B team. This week we made an order for some much-needed kitchen equipment. This included a new ice machine, commercial toaster, new char broiler, and new refrigerator table.

As you can see, progress has been very good. Stayed tuned for weekly renovation updates and feel free to check out our website which now includes a new tab covering the renovation progress that will include a flip book detailing the renovation, press releases concerning the renovation, social media outlets you can follow to keep up with the renovation real-time, and plenty of pictures.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

DALZ 1308 is the newest hybrid ultra dwarf zoysia. It’s pretty BA from what I have researched. Shade tolerant, good sodium tolerance, thrives on low fertility levels. That’s not available until 2019 though. It’s almost perfect for greens though because it’s naturally a short and compact plant with a fine leaf blade, high shoot density, and shorter internodes. It’s ridiculously high in lignin, hemicellulose, and fiber which means the leaf blade is stiff and more resistant to wear. Bigern mentioned the firmness of the greens, it’s because zoysia tends to have particularly dense rhizomes, and a high tiller density that makes the turf more resistant to ball-marks. It’s good stuff man don’t be scared off by it, new ultradwarfs when properly managed are just as good if not better than any bent grass. I know Jordan’s new Club is putting in Zoysia (what vairiety I forgot, I’ve got Zein and I think they’re doing the same from their site visits). Trinity Forest in Texas has Zoysia, their own strain called Trinity Zoysia.

6/8/2018

We have lot going on this week at Crooked Creek Club and continue to move forward full steam ahead with both golf course and clubhouse renovations projects. As with any large-scale renovation project there are always unique sets of challenges that are not anticipated but we are very happy with the progress we have made so far. Below are a few of the projects that we have been working on this week.

I wonder where all the money for the renovation is coming from? They have lost so many members their revenue stream has to be really hurting and one potential buyer already walked away. Plus they have to be taking a hit in revenue for the remaining members as all they can charge for is social membership. Any bets that once all the work is done, we receive an email to come visit them, play a round of golf, and be pitched to rejoin.

Callaway Chrome Soft

6/8/2018

I wonder where all the money for the renovation is coming from? They have lost so many members their revenue stream has to be really hurting and one potential buyer already walked away. Plus they have to be taking a hit in revenue for the remaining members as all they can charge for is social membership. Any bets that once all the work is done, we receive an email to come visit them, play a round of golf, and be pitched to rejoin.

It’s a bold move imo. Could pay off, but if they don’t get the membership they need, could go right back to the bank.

Bet the club Corp vultures are circling overhead.

6/8/2018

It’s a bold move imo. Could pay off, but if they don’t get the membership they need, could go right back to the bank.

Bet the club Corp vultures are circling overhead.

Ha ha. That would be great for me, I work off Winward Pkwy!

Agronomy Operations

June 16th, 2018

This week we completed the green preparation process. Here are some pictures of the last few steps. We are now ready to grass the surfaces with work scheduled to start next Thursday.

Applying the 80% sand / 20% soil amendments. This process ensures that

the new sprigs will grow into the existing soils.

This is 7 Green following the topdressing process. This green now needs to be raked and the edges tied in existing collars

Here is a photo of the cart path area behind 9 Green. There are several areas around the course where the current turf and the cart path do not line up. This causes a “bumpy” drive onto the turf. We are tilling these areas to fill in the transition and to promote healthy turf growth. Most of these areas will be planted with a shade tolerant turfgrass so that it can thrive in that environment.

Tilling areas like this around the golf course will make for a

perfect seedbed for shade tolerant turf.

All of the new irrigation clocks have been installed and operating. The pump station is up and running as well. We are currently programming the clocks to set for a “grow-in” program on the greens.

New Equipment has been arriving all week. We are very excited about this!

The Primo Zoysia that was planted on lower practice chipping green is growing in at an amazing rate. The most important factor in growing new turf is the root development. As you can see in this photo, the roots are thriving and healthy. Yes, that’s Eddie Rich holding the sod. It took him and 1 other guy to pull it out of the ground.

I will be posting daily updates and descriptive videos on our social media platforms;

The little research I did on it the zoysia appears to not be as fine bladed as the ultra-dwarf bermudas. Leads me to think the ball will sit up higher on the grass and play a little slower and softer than bermuda greens.

This picture lead me to that conclusion. It could be that this particular sward is not cut to green height but it appears to be quite shaggy in appearance.

dalz-1308-agrilife-today.jpg

Versus bent

bent-grass.jpg?v=1499509276573

Courses around me are on the "new" northern edge of bermuda greens. One club a county to the north of me has converted. Several courses in Nashville have converted. Zoysia fairways here have historically greened up earlier, stayed green later and IMO provided better conditions to play on while dormant. Hopefully the same holds true for zoysia greens where they are installed.

Driveandputtmachine - Do you know who is ponying up the $1.3 million for the renovation? I thought Crooked Creek had been taken back by the bank from the previous owner (along with Milton CC that was ultimately sold to the city). I wouldn't think it would be Billy Casper Golf, as they are almost exclusively a third-party management operator.

Driveandputtmachine - Do you know who is ponying up the $1.3 million for the renovation? I thought Crooked Creek had been taken back by the bank from the previous owner (along with Milton CC that was ultimately sold to the city). I wouldn't think it would be Billy Casper Golf, as they are almost exclusively a third-party management operator.

Everything I can find says Billy Casper, but I doubt its them for the reasons you stated already.

Everything I can find says Billy Casper, but I doubt its them for the reasons you stated already.

I also doubt it is Bill Casper Golf that is supplying the money. The one thing I can think of is the bank is putting the money into it, fixing the issues that caused Triumph Golf to walk away, getting it into sell able condition. The choice could be put money into the course to get money back or put no money in and get no money back as it cannot be sold to build homes.

Callaway Chrome Soft

DALZ 1308 is the newest hybrid ultra dwarf zoysia. It’s pretty BA from what I have researched. Shade tolerant, good sodium tolerance, thrives on low fertility levels. That’s not available until 2019 though. It’s almost perfect for greens though because it’s naturally a short and compact plant with a fine leaf blade, high shoot density, and shorter internodes. It’s ridiculously high in lignin, hemicellulose, and fiber which means the leaf blade is stiff and more resistant to wear. Bigern mentioned the firmness of the greens, it’s because zoysia tends to have particularly dense rhizomes, and a high tiller density that makes the turf more resistant to ball-marks. It’s good stuff man don’t be scared off by it, new ultradwarfs when properly managed are just as good if not better than any bent grass. I know Jordan’s new Club is putting in Zoysia (what vairiety I forgot, I’ve got Zein and I think they’re doing the same from their site visits). Trinity Forest in Texas has Zoysia, their own strain called Trinity Zoysia.

Trinity has zoysia fairways, not zoysia green though.

DALZ 1308 is the newest hybrid ultra dwarf zoysia. It's pretty BA from what I have researched. Shade tolerant, good sodium tolerance, thrives on low fertility levels. That's not available until 2019 though. It's almost perfect for greens though because it's naturally a short and compact plant with a fine leaf blade, high shoot density, and shorter internodes. It's ridiculously high in lignin, hemicellulose, and fiber which means the leaf blade is stiff and more resistant to wear. Bigern mentioned the firmness of the greens, it's because zoysia tends to have particularly dense rhizomes, and a high tiller density that makes the turf more resistant to ball-marks. It's good stuff man don't be scared off by it, new ultradwarfs when properly managed are just as good if not better than any bent grass. I know Jordan's new Club is putting in Zoysia (what vairiety I forgot, I've got Zein and I think they're doing the same from their site visits). Trinity Forest in Texas has Zoysia, their own strain called Trinity Zoysia.

True but even the sup Kasey Kaugh? (Used to be at CC Orlando, and was at East Lake before if I remember correctly) and the designers have regretted not putting in zoysia wall to wall.

DALZ 1308 is the newest hybrid ultra dwarf zoysia. It's pretty BA from what I have researched. Shade tolerant, good sodium tolerance, thrives on low fertility levels. That's not available until 2019 though. It's almost perfect for greens though because it's naturally a short and compact plant with a fine leaf blade, high shoot density, and shorter internodes. It's ridiculously high in lignin, hemicellulose, and fiber which means the leaf blade is stiff and more resistant to wear. Bigern mentioned the firmness of the greens, it's because zoysia tends to have particularly dense rhizomes, and a high tiller density that makes the turf more resistant to ball-marks. It's good stuff man don't be scared off by it, new ultradwarfs when properly managed are just as good if not better than any bent grass. I know Jordan's new Club is putting in Zoysia (what vairiety I forgot, I've got Zein and I think they're doing the same from their site visits). Trinity Forest in Texas has Zoysia, their own strain called Trinity Zoysia.

True but even the sup Kasey Kaugh? (Used to be at CC Orlando, and was at East Lake before if I remember correctly) and the designers have regretted not putting in zoysia wall to wall.

I thought the thread was about zoysia greens and you were talking about greens and then said Trinity has zoysia..so I assumed you meant that they had zoysia greens...I mean, why wouldn't I assume that?

Kasey was never at East Lake either by the way.

I thought the thread was about zoysia greens and you were talking about greens and then said Trinity has zoysia..so I assumed you meant that they had zoysia greens...I mean, why wouldn't I assume that?

Kasey was never at East Lake either by the way.

Totally right hack, just messaged kase he came up at AAC not east lake.

You can assume what you want but I never said they had Zoysia greens.

• 4 months later...