2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Winter Family (Jan or Feb) Florida trip

ddetts

Midwesterner here, and looking to setup a family for trip this winter. Planning to go in January or February but could also push to March if flight/lodging prices dictate. I'm the only golfer, and to be upfront and honest the golf isn't very important. If there's convenient/close/cheaper golf nearby I may try to sneak a round or two in but not necessarily concerned with that. So hopefully nobody minds that I'm actually seeking advice more on vacation than golf. Just hoping some locals can help me out here.

Looking at setting up a family trip 5-7 days depending on what hotel/rental ends up costing. Places we are considering are Sanibel/Captiva/Ft. Myers area, Clearwater Beach/St. Pete/Tampa area, and Ft. Lauderdale area. Certainly open to suggestions from locals if there are less touristy/lower traffic beach areas.

Would like to be close to (walking distance) or on the beach and in an area where temps are good enough to swim in Jan/Feb. Trying to keep the vacation on the cheaper side, so not looking at luxury resorts or high end rentals. We looked at Amelia Island, but according to climate doesn't look like that's a good option if we want to be in the water Jan/Feb.

If anyone has any leads or suggestions on reasonable/good places to stay I would appreciate it.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarasota;Siesta Key/

Great weather in March. Probably the best time to go tbh. And if you want to golf, there's a ton.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I live in Naples. Great golf community, beaches, and restaurants. All of SWFL (Fort Myers- Marco) is family friendly. Beaches and towns are very welcoming, Golf is first class.

Thanks - we stayed in Marco about a decade ago (thanks to relatives that owned a condo on the beach) and it was very nice. Just seemed pretty expensive - if we'd had to pay for hotel or rental and dining was all pretty upscale. Perhaps That's just the case every where up and down the coast though.

Ft. Myers beach area is on our short list, as flying into RSW is easy and pretty cheap from here.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Sarasota;Siesta Key/

Great weather in March. Probably the best time to go tbh. And if you want to golf, there's a ton.

Siesta Key looks very nice, thanks for the recommendation as we hadn't considered that. Appears to be some good rental options.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I live in Naples. Great golf community, beaches, and restaurants. All of SWFL (Fort Myers- Marco) is family friendly. Beaches and towns are very welcoming, Golf is first class.

Thanks - we stayed in Marco about a decade ago (thanks to relatives that owned a condo on the beach) and it was very nice. Just seemed pretty expensive - if we'd had to pay for hotel or rental and dining was all pretty upscale. Perhaps That's just the case every where up and down the coast though.

Ft. Myers beach area is on our short list, as flying into RSW is easy and pretty cheap from here.

Yea, I would stay out of Marco. Tons more to see and do up the road.

It would be a good idea to make up your mind soon. The good condo rentals disappear quickly. I have friends from the north who locked in for Jan-Mar months ago. If you find a good rental, go for it. You’d never think thousands of units could fill up so quickly, but the good ones do.

I'm already starting to see pretty limited availability in Feb/Mar, so we might have to settle for January.

How is the ocean temperature in January?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

It would be a good idea to make up your mind soon. The good condo rentals disappear quickly. I have friends from the north who locked in for Jan-Mar months ago. If you find a good rental, go for it. You’d never think thousands of units could fill up so quickly, but the good ones do.

I'm already starting to see pretty limited availability in Feb/Mar, so we might have to settle for January.

Couldn't give you exact numbers without Googling it. But I can say its cold. There will be undoubtedly a few brave solos in there. I suppose its all relative to what you're used to.

Couldn't give you exact numbers without Googling it. But I can say its cold. There will be undoubtedly a few brave solos in there. I suppose its all relative to what you're used to.

Bummer, so even on the gulf side it's pretty chilly in Jan? Might have to rethink plans now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Bummer, so even on the gulf side it's pretty chilly in Jan? Might have to rethink plans now.

It's cold all over FL in January during the fronts that sweep through, but even between the fronts, it's still 65-75 and the night temps in the 55 range make the waters very cold.

You'll see people swimming but it's only the Russian tourists and some sparingly from the American NE on vacation who dont mind the cold.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

It's cold all over FL in January during the fronts that sweep through, but even between the fronts, it's still 65-75 and the night temps in the 55 range make the waters very cold.

You'll see people swimming but it's only the Russian tourists and some sparingly from the American NE on vacation who dont mind the cold.

Thanks for the insight - it's been some time for me since I was on the gulf coast of FL and I believe the last time was during like the 2nd week of February. Water was pretty nice then, I guess I just mistakenly assumed there wouldn't be that much variance. Glad I know now!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks for the insight - it's been some time for me since I was on the gulf coast of FL and I believe the last time was during like the 2nd week of February. Water was pretty nice then, I guess I just mistakenly assumed there wouldn't be that much variance. Glad I know now!

Depends on your preference I guess. I've lived in FL all my life and I don't touch any body of water unless it's over 85 degrees.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Depends on your preference I guess. I've lived in FL all my life and I don't touch any body of water unless it's over 85 degrees.

I suppose it all depends on what you've become acclimated to. I recall one of the first times I went to Phoenix in early March to get away from winter and golf. The first day we had an afternoon tee time and it was only like 60 degrees after they got some rain. We showed up in shorts & short sleeve shirts while the locals all had on jackets and mittens.

Still, thanks again for your input.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread - still haven't made plans but reading/seeing all this news about red tide and how long they think it may last really has me rethinking Florida gulf coast.

Locals - is it pretty bad? The major want in this trip is to be able to enjoy the beach.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Resurrecting this thread - still haven't made plans but reading/seeing all this news about red tide and how long they think it may last really has me rethinking Florida gulf coast.

Locals - is it pretty bad? The major want in this trip is to be able to enjoy the beach.

Yes, Currently its very bad. Marco through Sarasota. IDK about north of that. When are you planning on coming again?

Middle - end of January. And that stretch (basically Clearwater beach down to Marco) is where we were scoping out a rental.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

it's not going to be bad during that time of the year. relax.

if any at all.

Alright, everything I was reading was saying they didn't know how long it would last, this is the worst it's ever been, etc and so that pt a little fear into me.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

they say that every year. you're coming when temperature of water is going to be in 60-70s

i'd avoid that part of florida in january if you want to go to the beach. go to miami or keywest. it's cold in january.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Climate that time of year is best in Naples. Even Clearwater is noticeably cooler (5-7*) some days. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Naples which was a good deal, we thought. They provided a shuttle to the beach, included waters, towels. We went to the Naples Zoo and the botanical gardens. Every meal we had was awesome; the food was great there. We also went to an indoor play area for kids (my son was five or six) which was impressive. Can’t remember the name of it.

Clearwater was a tad cooler and less expensive and we thought the beaches were better, wider, whiter, softer. Naples was more upscale, seriously more upscale. Tiburon is right there but I didn’t get to golf. If I had the cash I would stay at the Ritz and play Tiburon.

One other thing: we took a drive into Tampa from Clearwater and went to the aquarium. Best aquarium I’ve ever been to.

Best of luck.

Edit: It was the Hilton, not HI.

Alright, thanks all for the responses might be time to reconsider booking a place to stay around Naples.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Alright, thanks all for the responses might be time to reconsider booking a place to stay around Naples.

Let me know if you ultimately book a place down here. Maybe we can meet up for a round while you're down.

I would absolutely love to get a round or two in while I'm down there! It will be a tough sell with my wife, as neither she or the 2 kids really golf so it would be me "not spending time with my family" on a family vacation in her eyes. However, that may be a battle I'm willing to wage!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Let me know if you ultimately book a place down here. Maybe we can meet up for a round while you're down.

I would absolutely love to get a round or two in while I'm down there! It will be a tough sell with my wife, as neither she or the 2 kids really golf so it would be me "not spending time with my family" on a family vacation in her eyes. However, that may be a battle I'm willing to wage!

Yea, I hear that. Tough sell. Maybe quick round early in am.. who knows. You'll have a great time regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody knows about this. I take my wife for the occasional big people only weekend. Nice spa and pool. Right on #10 fairway of the Flamingo Island Course. Condo instead of hotel room. 15 minutes to Marco or downtown Naples. Lots of new food options have grown up right there in the last 2 years.

https://www.greenlinksnaples.com/