2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

12 minutes ago, Colej said:

I can hit the max pretty damn good until I get to the scoring irons, then I go to h3ll 😂 

Hiw does the Max 5i compare to that of the TS2 or the KE4 Tour+?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

45 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Hiw does the Max 5i compare to that of the TS2 or the KE4 Tour+?

I’ve hit both and the max are very good in the mid irons. It’s when they get down to the scoring irons and the sole design doesn’t agree with me for some reason. I also need a flatter lie in my irons and let me tell you it was dang near impossible to adjust the max heads. Impact wasn’t that harsh though, with the max. 

that being said I’ve been hitting the TS2 6 iron extremely well. I don’t think I’m leaving anything out there by not playing the max in the mid irons, based on my game. My recommendation would be try the max in the mid irons for sure. Then depending on your sole design/bounce needs in the short irons, make your decision based on that.

The Ke4 tour will be more along the lines of the TS2. They’re very similar in my opinion. The lofts will be different of course. 

Edited by Colej
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’ve hit both and the max are very good in the mid irons. It’s when they get down to the scoring irons and the sole design doesn’t agree with me for some reason. I also need a flatter lie in my irons and let me tell you it was dang near impossible to adjust the max heads. Impact wasn’t that harsh though, with the max. 

that being said I’ve been hitting the TS2 6 iron extremely well. I don’t think I’m leaving anything out there by not playing the max in the mid irons, based on my game. My recommendation would be try the max in the mid irons for sure. Then depending on your sole design/bounce needs in the short irons, make your decision based on that.

The Ke4 tour will be more along the lines of the TS2. They’re very similar in my opinion. The lofts will be different of course. 

I don't own a 5 iron anymore (hybrid in each of my sets, Tour+ and M890) and have an Xcaliber Hy shaft trimmed for a 4h. Might make an interesting experiment to use it to build up a 5 iron for no other reason than to try it. I was going to try it with a friends G410 iron head but sold it here last week. Maybe I'll order a Max head(and get GW to weaken the loft) when they finally become available in Canada.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

36 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

I don't own a 5 iron anymore (hybrid in each of my sets, Tour+ and M890) and have an Xcaliber Hy shaft trimmed for a 4h. Might make an interesting experiment to use it to build up a 5 iron for no other reason than to try it. I was going to try it with a friends G410 iron head but sold it here last week. Maybe I'll order a Max head(and get GW to weaken the loft) when they finally become available in Canada.

If you go strictly by lofts you could go 6 TS2 then STi2 4 hybrid. No need for a 5 iron. 

19 hours ago, AutomationGolfer said:

If I were looking for something similar to the Wilson Staff Launch pads or Cleveland Halos, would the KE4 max be similar? Or at that point would I be looking more at the 890 irons?

The KE4 Max would not match up well with those. 

Both of the irons you mentioned are at the extreme level for forgiveness. With extremely long sole widths. 

Back a few years ago Maltby had a design that was similar to those as in the hollow body construction. 

In the irons available today the M890 would be the iron that should be compatible in terms of forgiveness across the face. The M890s also have a very generous sole width. I've built them for Senior players and women. Both have had great results. Extremely turf friendly and launch the ball well.  Nearly impossible to hit a fat shot. 

In the pictures there is an M890 and a Ke4 Max. It's readily apparent how much more forgiveness is built into the M890. As well as you can see from the top the 890 has a much larger face and a lot of offset. 

If you need Max forgiveness go with the M890. I've built 6 full sets and as many partial sets. As in 6, 8, PW and a hybrid 4 or 5. It keeps it simple for older players or beginners. 

20220802_084718.jpg

20220802_084642.jpg

• Like 3

@kleydejong - I have been playing a MAX milled 58* for a couple of weeks now and like it a lot. On a whim, and because they are inexpensive, I bought a TSW DRM which arrived today. I really like the clean look of the TSW as well. It also feels somewhat lighter to me than the MAX milled (both are 35.25" long and have Kuro Kage shafts). 

My main reason for getting the MAX milled is that I read some really good reviews of the club and it only has 8* of bounce which is important because the bunkers at my home course have very little sand in them and at times are close to hard pan. I will get to try the TSW on Thursday in practice and perhaps a live round in my Friday 9-hole league. 

• Like 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

On 7/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Colej said:

If you go strictly by lofts you could go 6 TS2 then STi2 4 hybrid. No need for a 5 iron. 

If I was going to experiment using my Xcal HY shaft I could get the Max 6 iron head, tip my hybrid shaft an extra .5" (or leave it as is, essentially soft stepping a club), put a 2g or 4g weight in it depending if I want to go 38.5" or 38"(match length progression of my set). Might be a decent and cheap experiment for no useful reason at all other than club building entertainment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bad9 said:

If I was going to experiment using my Xcal HY shaft I could get the Max 6 iron head, tip my hybrid shaft an extra .5" (or leave it as is, essentially soft stepping a club), put a 2g or 4g weight in it depending if I want to go 38.5" or 38"(match length progression of my set). Might be a decent and cheap experiment for no useful reason at all other than club building entertainment.

I would think that the hybrid shaft should launch higher then the RT75. Soft stepping it may not be necessary? Feel wise you may like it better? It’s gonna be a try and see type thing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Therty said:

Got my dad a KE4 Max Pak with the Kuro Kage Graphite shafts. Ridiculous price. I think they’ll be a great upgrade from his 1997 Taylormade Ti Bubble 2 irons 😂

Did the same for my dad, he's coming from Callaway X22's in reg flex.  Got him the Kuro pack with A flex and he loves them.  

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, Popeye64 said:

The KE4 Max would not match up well with those. 

Both of the irons you mentioned are at the extreme level for forgiveness. With extremely long sole widths. 

Back a few years ago Maltby had a design that was similar to those as in the hollow body construction. 

In the irons available today the M890 would be the iron that should be compatible in terms of forgiveness across the face. The M890s also have a very generous sole width. I've built them for Senior players and women. Both have had great results. Extremely turf friendly and launch the ball well.  Nearly impossible to hit a fat shot. 

In the pictures there is an M890 and a Ke4 Max. It's readily apparent how much more forgiveness is built into the M890. As well as you can see from the top the 890 has a much larger face and a lot of offset. 

If you need Max forgiveness go with the M890. I've built 6 full sets and as many partial sets. As in 6, 8, PW and a hybrid 4 or 5. It keeps it simple for older players or beginners. 

20220802_084718.jpg

20220802_084642.jpg

Built a set of 890's for my daughter , great for the occasional / once a month player. If she ever decided to practice and play more often I'd get get into the Sti2's

• Like 2

TS2 Playing Report

Built a set @ +1" with the Maltby MPF Pro shafts ( A flex)

Coming from the STi2 , differences emerge.

- Ball flight

Slightly lower , less affected by winds (less spin?)

- Distance

Much longer ; Have a 5 hybrid in the bag ,and the 6i is about the same length.

Progression is good , still working on taking a little off to fill gaps.

Integrating the pitching and gap wedges in to cover distances is the current struggle, but even the pros deal with that.

-Forgiveness

Very good ; good turf interaction , doesn't dig with my suspect swing .

Toe strikes ( my miss) lose abt 10% but don't seem to go as far off line.

Hardpan and paths require a pretty steep approach , again not a surprise.

All in all great clubs and great value.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, terry55 said:

Is this the direction of the new TS4?

image.png.62095e3da82c361a9185761847a8a3f2.png

image.png.3a8aa746684697a41a4d83842619d42d.png

Britt has said there is Titanium inside and it is a true forged blade but the technology is brand new. This is a Japanese company teamed with the ENDO forging house in Thailand (according to MyGolfSpy   https://mygolfspy.com/know-your-japanese-brands-proto-concept/ )

These clubs are in the $400 each price range.  I am just guessing here but Britt stays on top of industry direction. The TS-1 is a great alternative to the P790.  It is just possible the TS-4 is a great alternative to this design direction of mixing metals into a forging process.  I am sure the TS-4 is not coming from ENDO but wherever Britt sources his forgings from.  I am also sure it is not a copycat of this club, but probably in the same design and manufacture direction. 

Britt said this

"Do not know the costs yet, but I can tell you costs have increased and there is technology in the TS4.  There is internal tungsten as well as another material.  It is not injected and it is not a hollow two piece construction.  "These will be solid, but will have internal tungsten weighting low and towards to the toe"

For reference, here is the TS-4 concept design.

1640224925-364595-73fe2cd9-8356-4bcd-9b4

Just a closing thought;  I feel we are fortunate to have Maltby designed clubs and also Britt working through the design to production process. We are getting top level latest designed clubs at totally reachable costs. So thanks Britt.

If you have followed Maltby releases of new technology over the years it seems to be lock step with other  companies releases (OEM). Where the technology seems similar yet slightly different execution. Some releases are just ahead of other companies and sometimes it's behind. 

But we all know intellectual property gets shared or stolen, quickly over seas from one company to another. Then it's a race to market. So the factory that does the Maltby Forging may be telling Britt... hey this is what we can do. We have a new technique. Then the design follows suit with the new construction techniques. 

It's very likely the new TS4 will be similar to the iron shown above. The TS4 design has been in the works for quite a long time. I want to say they are well past a year in development. 

If fairly unique that Britt allows us a look into the process, as much as he can.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

If you have followed Maltby releases of new technology over the years it seems to be lock step with other  companies releases (OEM). Where the technology seems similar yet slightly different execution. Some releases are just ahead of other companies and sometimes it's behind. 

But we all know intellectual property gets shared or stolen, quickly over seas from one company to another. Then it's a race to market. So the factory that does the Maltby Forging may be telling Britt... hey this is what we can do. We have a new technique. Then the design follows suit with the new construction techniques. 

It's very likely the new TS4 will be similar to the iron shown above. The TS4 design has been in the works for quite a long time. I want to say they are well past a year in development. 

If fairly unique that Britt allows us a look into the process, as much as he can.  

I hope I didn't imply Maltby was copying a design. I was thinking there was a technique developed, probably independently or maybe from some common thoughts, that Britt saw during a trip and began an early look into.  I think the ProtoC irons got out first since they are a joint venture company with Endo forging.  Endo would have less issues dedicating staff and research material to the development. The TS4 will not be far behind, maybe six months, but with a different design and cutting edge processes. 

But I think that is what you said Popeye. I just didn't want anyone thinking I was suggesting Maltby copied someone else intentionally.

Edited by terry55
  • Like 1

Just now, terry55 said:

I hope I didn't imply Maltby was copying a design. I was thinking there was a technique developed, probably independently or maybe from some common thoughts, that Britt saw during a trip and began an early look into.  I think the ProtoC irons got out first since they are a joint venture company with Endo forging.  Endo would have less issues dedicating staff and research material to the development. The TS4 will not be far behind, maybe six months, but with a different design and cutting edge processes. 

No i didnt think you implied that. 

Another thing is that these factories build heads for more than one company. So a technique may have been developed that is being used by more than one company having product made in that factory. But Malby is not at the Endo Factory. 

Same thing for shafts. Shaft companies have product made side by side with the competition. The Maltby house brands of shafts are made in some of the best shaft factories. 

Sometimes Maltby has to wait thier turn at the foundry for production runs. Having stuff made in the Chinese factories has really been quite educational. 

I agree it’s always interesting to hear what club designers are thinking, what the goal is with a particular club and how they met the challenge. I do miss the interesting and innovative out of the box stuff Ralph designed. The Sand Putter, the Slippery Frog chipper, the Lob Slider and many I’m not recalling at the moment.

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I've not seen this photo before posted anywhere and found it in a Google search. 

Notice how deep the cavity appears. Similar to the TE in a way. It's just that it has more mass near the toe.

If the angle holds true that's a fairly wide sole. Tough to really tell. 

But that's definitely the TS3. Not sure how early of a prototype it is. 1651849443-306697-ts3.jpg.34a0b81b9115195b8e48d3397b5f7f40.jpg

• Like 4

Taking a closer look at the TS3 TS4 photos you can readily see the personality differences.

The TS3 looks to be very turf friendly. And from that other photo a deep cavity. It may be closer to the TE in design goals than I originally thought. 

The TS4 has far less rocker on the sole. The sole is also a lot narrower. It's screaming players design. 

I know Britt has been talking about how playable the design will be but the TS4 might not be too friendly to a steep swinger. It's definitely leaning more MMB-17 than any of the newer designs. 

I'm sure it's a club that will perform well and be very responsive. But I just see massive divots in the future in my hands. 

20220806_221348.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I've not seen this photo before posted anywhere and found it in a Google search. 

Notice how deep the cavity appears. Similar to the TE in a way. It's just that it has more mass near the toe.

If the angle holds true that's a fairly wide sole. Tough to really tell. 

But that's definitely the TS3. Not sure how early of a prototype it is. 1651849443-306697-ts3.jpg.34a0b81b9115195b8e48d3397b5f7f40.jpg

I asked Britt about the sole, he said it is VERY similar to the TS2 sole, with a few tweaks. 

I play a split set of TS1 - TS2, and slightly prefer the TS2 sole. I can not wait for the TS3. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 10:21 PM, Popeye64 said:

Taking a closer look at the TS3 TS4 photos you can readily see the personality differences.

The TS3 looks to be very turf friendly. And from that other photo a deep cavity. It may be closer to the TE in design goals than I originally thought. 

The TS4 has far less rocker on the sole. The sole is also a lot narrower. It's screaming players design. 

I know Britt has been talking about how playable the design will be but the TS4 might not be too friendly to a steep swinger. It's definitely leaning more MMB-17 than any of the newer designs. 

I'm sure it's a club that will perform well and be very responsive. But I just see massive divots in the future in my hands. 

20220806_221348.jpg

The TS4 really looks sexy. And while cavity backs don't really get my blood flowing, the TS3 is no slouch in terms of looks.

Ironically, if I were to go with either of the above, it very well might be the TS3. I just don't know that the TS4 would be all that different than my current gamers (Snake Eyes 600B). I'll definitely have them build out a TS1-IM, TS3, and TS4 for testing. And I'd be ecstatic if the TS4 had some "it" factor that I've not prepared for. But odds are my next set will be either the TS3 or TS1 ("old" or IM model). 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2022 at 11:01 PM, T.B. said:

I worked part time at golf works during that time when those products were being made.  Great stuff.  Living close to GW let’s me stop by from time to time.  Get most of my shafts and grip and building supplies from them.   Going to be replacing irons this winter and definitely looking at the maltby line 

That would be a fun job. 

2 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Or even the TS1-IM. I was ready to pull the trigger on new irons this year (TS1). And as tough as it's been not to, I'm 98% committed to holding out for the new Maltby offerings coming in the next year.

thats what I think I’m going to do.  Finish the year off with my Srixon stuff and then this winter test and build a set of irons and wedges.  I’ve hit the maltby woods in the past but not the newer woods and hybrids.  What’s everyone’s opinion on them.  Read some reviews saying they spin a little to much.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:16 AM, T.B. said:

thats what I think I’m going to do.  Finish the year off with my Srixon stuff and then this winter test and build a set of irons and wedges.  I’ve hit the maltby woods in the past but not the newer woods and hybrids.  What’s everyone’s opinion on them.  Read some reviews saying they spin a little to much.  

The TC Tour driver is actually a very nice driver head. The way they depict the adapter settings can be a bit confusing though. I believe Britt said there will be a TC Tour Pro driver head coming. 

TC Tour fairways are rock solid. For the price they’d hard to beat. I’ve handed my 4 wood to people before and they’re shocked how good it is.

Tried to like the TC Tour hybrids but actually tried the STi2 hybrid and it’s better for me, for some goofy reason. I think it’s the sole design (of the STi2) that better fits my game. 🤔 

I’ll also add the ISO-T driver head, from what I hear, is super low spin. Like fall out of the sky low spin. You can pick them up cheap on eBay and I thought about picking up a 9* and build it at a slightly longer length, for scramble purposes only.