2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

25 minutes ago, terry55 said:

@Popeye I am not trying to be argumentative but simply ask about some things I see in your numbers and reconcile what you reported.

I don't see how you babied the STi2 first shot, from what I see, you babied the TS-1 and TS-2.  They both had low ball speeds of 110, much lower than the ST12 low ball speed of 113.  The yardage dispersion looks to come from ball speed.  All balls moving at 120 carried 175. You said this in your post "None of these clubs should really outperform another's in perfect contact. It's more about being consistent" which is correct in my mind and what the ball speed/ carry distance did in fact show.

As for dispersion, the TS-3 shots were Right and Left. You were pulling the STi2 and the TS-2 and quite a bit more left and right with the TS-1. You were actually tighter with the TS-2 albeit more left. So I am not assuming L/R dispersion is a TS-3 benefit, as it really can't be.

I am just guessing here but could it be what you are seeing/saying is that the MPF on the TS-3 was so good that of all of the difference in ball speed based on strike location, the TS-3 produced the most consistent ball speed? Of the four clubs, the TS-3 showed the tightest ball speed differences. I am guessing your swing speed was fairly close and that it was your strike location that varied. The TS-3, in your experience, did more to erase slight mishits than all the other clubs.

So the bottom line to my question is this:  what is making you so excited about the TS-3?  Did I guess correctly or is there more?

Thank you as always. 

I had one 'flyer' to the right. For 4 shots in a row I'm more than happy with that dispersion. 

This is what I base a lot of my decision on rather than numbers. 

20230209_124612.jpg

• Like 1

@Popeye  "Maybe it's not for you" Ouch!  Dispersion is everything to me. Golf is played by controlling dispersion. A flyer to the right and three shots down the middle at the same distance is good golf.  When we are standing 165y out with water in the front and a bunker guarding the back of a narrow green, my averages are not going to par that hole, my dispersion will decide that. No debate here on dispersion, absolutely none.

Perhaps in trying to understand what you posted, my phrasing or sentence structure imparted some unintended disrespect and if so I apologize.  I value polite dialogue and exchange of thoughts, so if I didn't present it as such then I will search for better ways to express. 

As always,thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cs83208 said:

Thank you for continuing these comparisons. I've tried a couple times to post questions on the GW site and can never get a real answer other than 'specs are posted' or 'there's no way to compare'. I have Maltby wedges (TSW DRM Forged) and putter (Pure-Track Tour Milled PTM-5 Mallet w/ SS shaft) added last season and really am impressed with them. Replacing a whole iron set is another story, especially without seeing or trying in person.

Anyways, I'll ask my real questions here and maybe you'd be kind enough to provide some opinions. I have PXG 0211 DC irons (w/ Mitsubishi MMT R flex) +2 degrees to make them more 'standard' lofts. I've just always wanted forged irons, and I've been looking at the TS2 for a long time, but waited until the TS3 came out in case it was better suited. I'm guessing the PXG is going to be quite a bit bigger than both (TS2 & TS3) all around (length, height, sole, top line), and that's ok, I'm just not looking to get myself into some kind of club that has no forgiveness or distance advantage in comparison, just because it's forged. The close comparison to the KE4 Max makes me more comfortable since I would think that's a 'game improvement' iron as well. I also saw some good comments on the TT Score LT shaft, which is good since I'm sure whatever Pak they offer will start with that, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the premium for graphite.

Any thoughts on if I'd be crazy to make the PXG 0211 DC switch to TS3 or TS2 would be great? I just worry about ordering clubs that are meant for someone in a better skill set. P.S. I'm not terrible, been playing a long time, but I might make more bogeys than pars still, so I'm not looking for 'player's' category anything.

Since you have de-lofted the 0211 irons 2° you would fall in line with the KE4 Max irons loft for loft. But a sizeable difference would be the larger offset in the long irons of the 0211. 

The KE4 Max and the TS3 should appear smaller when held side to side. Not that they are tiny but I believe the 0211 if fairly large. 

The TT score LT is a fantastic all around iron shaft and is inexpensive but it's not a cheap shaft. They work very well in a huge range of applications. 

For a minimal investment buying a single KE4 Max head and TT score shaft to tinker and compare with is your best bet. Aside from that is just a guess. 

I really don't think you will gain anything in distance and forgiveness... but you shouldn't lose any. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Popeye64
  • Like 1

@cs83208 TT Score LT is a very solid shaft.  When it was a major OEM offering it was the Memphis 10 shaft.  Tick lighter than the DG120/KBS Tour/Nippon Modus full weight shafts,  and a higher launching kick point in the profile.  I use it to test all new heads, plus I play it in all my irons. I do like the feel of the DG120 R the best, but I am cheap so I play the Score LT.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 8:20 PM, cs83208 said:

Thank you for continuing these comparisons. I've tried a couple times to post questions on the GW site and can never get a real answer other than 'specs are posted' or 'there's no way to compare'. I have Maltby wedges (TSW DRM Forged) and putter (Pure-Track Tour Milled PTM-5 Mallet w/ SS shaft) added last season and really am impressed with them. Replacing a whole iron set is another story, especially without seeing or trying in person.

Anyways, I'll ask my real questions here and maybe you'd be kind enough to provide some opinions. I have PXG 0211 DC irons (w/ Mitsubishi MMT R flex) +2 degrees to make them more 'standard' lofts. I've just always wanted forged irons, and I've been looking at the TS2 for a long time, but waited until the TS3 came out in case it was better suited. I'm guessing the PXG is going to be quite a bit bigger than both (TS2 & TS3) all around (length, height, sole, top line), and that's ok, I'm just not looking to get myself into some kind of club that has no forgiveness or distance advantage in comparison, just because it's forged. The close comparison to the KE4 Max makes me more comfortable since I would think that's a 'game improvement' iron as well. I also saw some good comments on the TT Score LT shaft, which is good since I'm sure whatever Pak they offer will start with that, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the premium for graphite.

Any thoughts on if I'd be crazy to make the PXG 0211 DC switch to TS3 or TS2 would be great? I just worry about ordering clubs that are meant for someone in a better skill set. P.S. I'm not terrible, been playing a long time, but I might make more bogeys than pars still, so I'm not looking for 'player's' category anything.

I went from Ping GMax (incredibly forgiving) shovels to TS1s 2 year’s ago and haven’t looked back.  I felt the same and had the same “fear” as you.  I went to a club builder/shop for grips and while waiting he said go back to the Sim and hit while he was working with another customer.  I had read Maltby’s books, etc so was familiar with Golfworks and MPF.  So for 30 minutes I hit a few of his 7 irons.  I picked up the TS1 just to see what would happen and was pleasantly surprised. Later I asked him to build me a TS1 7 iron and after a month or so, built out the rest.  Handicap is down from 12 to 9.4.  I did not lose distance, but I think that has more to do with the shaft fitting.  The only thing I feel I lost for forgiveness is a toe side miss causes a couple more yards loss of distance.  The feel of hitting a flush TS1 shot is addictive (I need to do this much more often!) and I think the smaller head improved striking somehow.  MPF on the GMax is over 900 and the TS1 just over 700.  If I had my choice I’d have a TS1 with a TS2 sole.  I’ve rambled, but to me anything over 700 appears forgiving outside of a bad miss.  Edit: Also playing a TSW and Max Milled.  

Edited by NCDuffer
  • Like 1

Just had a chance to hit the TS3 and a TS1-IM. Kris and The Crew at Golfworks are building the TS3 with AMT Black S300 any day now. The TS1-IM is absolutely stunning to look at but from a player who enjoys PTM, TS3, KE4 MAX it's just a bit intimidating. Currently bagging the new driver, KE4 hybrids and Max Milled wedges and its all good stuff. If ya don't believe me feel free to take a look at BST and see what wares I have for sale. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

Just had a chance to hit the TS3 and a TS1-IM. Kris and The Crew at Golfworks are building the TS3 with AMT Black S300 any day now. The TS1-IM is absolutely stunning to look at but from a player who enjoys PTM, TS3, KE4 MAX it's just a bit intimidating. Currently bagging the new driver, KE4 hybrids and Max Milled wedges and its all good stuff. If ya don't believe me feel free to take a look at BST and see what wares I have for sale. 

How do you like the new driver?  What does it remind you of in comparison so we can get an idea?  Was the IM just intimidating visually and does that carry over into the actual playability?  

Sorry for all the questions.  I have a hard time pulling triggers because of indecision with regards to golf equipment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

How do you like the new driver?  What does it remind you of in comparison so we can get an idea?  Was the IM just intimidating visually and does that carry over into the actual playability?  

Sorry for all the questions.  I have a hard time pulling triggers because of indecision with regards to golf equipment.

Boy do I wish I was plagued with that. Anyway, the driver doesn't really remind me of anything but it is better than its predecessor especially in the looks dept. It is nearly as good as my TSR2 but I chalk that up to a shaft issue as launch numbers are close but not quite as good as TSR2. The Titleist is a 10 with an Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65-04. I just don't like the idea of putting a $300+ shaft in a Maltby so asked for a Mitsu C6 red to see if we can get launch up a bit. They're within 7 yds of each other currently amd forgiveness is similar. Regarding the irons I fall in and out of love with TE and DBM but these TS1-IM look even better. Issue is what the hell do I need three sets of Maltby irons for anyway. So, no go on TS1-IM. if you're better than average you'll have no issues with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mako J said:

Are you able to elaborate on this? How about the sound? 

thanks!

Sorry I ain't got much here. It's not offensive at all. I just never got along with the first gen and never could get the launch conditions I wanted. It's louder than Paradym or Stealth but on par with Titleist. I like the new fin placement as I thought the gills were silly. I also HATE white on golfclubs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, RSLP said:

@Popeye64 How are the launch characteristics in comparison to the STi2?  Both from your monitor and visually what you saw when you were in the wild with them.

I lost the data photo some how on the KE4. But on course the TS3 certainly seemed to have a higher launch. I carried a set of huge trees on one shot that I was sure I couldn't do. 

When I get back in a long weeks or so, those two heads will have some serious head to head shootouts. 

• Like 2

I see the (TS3) specs are now posted, took a look.  What I immediately noticed was that CG.  Good lord, that's low (.691).  

But, something else I saw, the TS4 have a page.  With specs (not available for order, of course).  Pasting the image below.

To be clear, the below is all TS4 information....

Features:

• True Forged from 1025C Carbon Steel using the most advanced 5 step forging process available
  • Forged from 1025C Carbon Steel
  • Co-Forged Internal tungsten weighting (#3 thru #8) provides precise vertical and horizontal cg locations to produce tour preferred trajectory and distance control.
  • Unparalleled playability and feel for a true forged muscle back design
  • Super Game Improvement (PF701+) design.
  • CNC Milled leading edge and sole for precise bounce and sole radius' throughout the set
  • CNC milled face ensures face flatness for more consistency
  • CNC milled Multi-Groove technology places more CNC milled square grooves on the face for improved consistency, trajectory and spin
  • Durable Pearl Nickel Chrome anti-glare finish protects the club head and enhances feel
  • Minimal, progressive offsets and preferred top line widths provide a traditional look at address.
  • Progressive sole angle (bounce), modern tour leading edge grind and 4 way radius sole provides the optimum turf interaction from a variety of turf conditions.
  • Universal hosel accepts both .370" parallel tip and .355" taper tip iron shafts.
  • Recommended Ferrule - 74PI for .370" shafts, 91TI for .355" shafts
  • Conforms to the Rules of Golf

image.png.216113534f10d0a3b7293ff5dc13d8dd.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Couple more TS4 images...

image.png.69c3408028422fd0372a471993b6a6dd.png

image.png.a7af517738c0250ded9fe956e7741f48.png

image.png.542306492379e93734609e3d9f7a1f67.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I could see a TS3 4i & 5i, combined with 6-PW in the TS4.  Could be fun.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, RSLP said:

@cs83208 TT Score LT is a very solid shaft.  When it was a major OEM offering it was the Memphis 10 shaft.  Tick lighter than the DG120/KBS Tour/Nippon Modus full weight shafts,  and a higher launching kick point in the profile.  I use it to test all new heads, plus I play it in all my irons. I do like the feel of the DG120 R the best, but I am cheap so I play the Score LT.

TT also sold it direct as the Dynalite 109, it was their lightweight steel shaft before they rolled out the DG105. Lots of different manufacturers used it as a stock shaft, Callaway and Nike used it extensively. It's a very good shaft with a very wide range of players that it can fit by being uniflex with a parallel tip. Heck, it can even be trimmed to xstiff at standard length, might not get a three or four iron to that stiffness though, not sure if there is enough overall length. They have that typical TT feel and like a aggressive transition, so if a player doesn't like that then they should look elsewhere. Other than that, fantastic shaft that punches way above its weight. 

Only reason I'd look at switching is to go into a graphite shaft, which I've been thinking about a lot lately. I want to get the TS4 with the Maltby MPF iron shafts, I have one in my driving iron and love the feel. It's like a poor man's Tensai Blue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving all the posts on the new TS3 but I have a wedge question. 

I've been hitting indoors on Trackman twice a week this winter with a Titleist AVX RCT ball so my spin numbers are accurate. On my current wedges, Cleveland RTX4, I'm averaging around 7,000 rpm with both my 54° and 60° and I've always had low spin with them. With my TS1 GW I'm averaging around 8,800 rpm and topping out over 10k. The RTX4 wedges are three seasons old but don't look worn. Do you think I'd get more spin from new DBM/Max Milled setup? I'd play the DBM in the 54° and the Max Milled in the 60° as I only want full face on the lob. 

My course has very good greens that typically roll about a 10 and my wedges always release out and I have issues holding the green at time. 

20 minutes ago, iamlowsound said:

Loving all the posts on the new TS3 but I have a wedge question. 

I've been hitting indoors on Trackman twice a week this winter with a Titleist AVX RCT ball so my spin numbers are accurate. On my current wedges, Cleveland RTX4, I'm averaging around 7,000 rpm with both my 54° and 60° and I've always had low spin with them. With my TS1 GW I'm averaging around 8,800 rpm and topping out over 10k. The RTX4 wedges are three seasons old but don't look worn. Do you think I'd get more spin from new DBM/Max Milled setup? I'd play the DBM in the 54° and the Max Milled in the 60° as I only want full face on the lob. 

My course has very good greens that typically roll about a 10 and my wedges always release out and I have issues holding the green at time. 

We don't realize how quickly we lose optimum spin with our wedges. After a season that 10k spinner is now 8k. There is nothing wrong with that as we adjust to it spinning less over the course of the season. 

I've know some top level amateurs who play with 10 year old wedges and stick it to tap in range all day long. They simply know exactly what those wedges are gonna do.

We tend to get a little too hung up on optimal spin. I myself never go past two seasons with a wedge. And when I do switch I'll have a few spares of the one I'm using. So even if they go out of cycle I'll have a fresh head. 

I'll switch irons out weekly but I keep the same wedges. 

• Like 1