2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

14 hours ago, Mulliganizer said:

That's It... I want TS3s... But I suffer from short-armitis. Should I just buy the components and go to a fitter and have them make them, or can I figure it out?

Maltby has a static fitting sheet somewhere. You throw in some specific measurements and it tells you what lengths should work. Then you can custom request the lengths when you order. 

When you get them, take them to a shop and do a loft/lie check and they can then fine-tune your lie angles and just make sure your lofts are good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Mulliganizer said:

That's It... I want TS3s... But I suffer from short-armitis. Should I just buy the components and go to a fitter and have them make them, or can I figure it out?

34 minutes ago, AZstu324 said:

Maltby has a static fitting sheet somewhere. You throw in some specific measurements and it tells you what lengths should work. Then you can custom request the lengths when you order. 

When you get them, take them to a shop and do a loft/lie check and they can then fine-tune your lie angles and just make sure your lofts are good. 

Another option could be using the Ping static fit chart, as a starting point.  It *is* only a starting point, since your normal swing could add a tweak to the chart results (both Maltby and Ping).

Sincerely,

-fellow human t-rex golfer

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

I don’t know if maltby does have a fitting sheet…. 

are you saying to have the irons checked for accurate loft and lie angles (ie: they might come from Maltby off a bit??)

1 hour ago, high5golf said:

I don’t know if maltby does have a fitting sheet…. 

are you saying to have the irons checked for accurate loft and lie angles (ie: they might come from Maltby off a bit??)

All heads from every manufacturer come out of spec to some extent. Maltby heads from my experience are pretty tight in tolerance. The check is mainly to see if you need more upright or flat bases on your swing but it's good just to do a full check and get them adjusted if needed. 

16 minutes ago, snuzzo29 said:

Might be a dumb question, but is there any issues with reshafting taper tips into the universal bore? 

Nope.  Their hosel accepts both sizes.

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

47 minutes ago, snuzzo29 said:

I didn't know if there was a better way or a truck to cleaning the very bottom of the bore. The last head I pulled there was a little epoxy left after cleaning the hosel with a wire brush in a drill. 

I still used shims.  My TS4's had a little more play than I would like.  I've found that on all of these "universal" hosels from them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm inclined to use parallel shafts with the Maltby universal bore clubheads.  Just personal preference.  <shrug>

• Thanks 1

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm inclined to use parallel shafts with the Maltby universal bore clubheads.  Just personal preference.  <shrug>

I use whatever is available. My steelfiber fc80s at golfworks are parallel. I think the fc70s are taper. I like taper because it's one less cut and I can get them pre-prepped (lazy).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, snuzzo29 said:

I didn't know if there was a better way or a truck to cleaning the very bottom of the bore. The last head I pulled there was a little epoxy left after cleaning the hosel with a wire brush in a drill. 

Heat directly into the the bottom of the hosel should loosen it all up, so you can scrape out every last bit.  Best with a butane micro torch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 11:44 AM, AZstu324 said:

I'll add that these reviews also help out with the resale of these when it comes time to move on. I've been buying and reselling Maltby for a few years. I've never had a problem selling them but it usually takes a little while. After the KE4 MAX video, I sold that set the same week I listed them and the guy hadn't heard of Maltby until the video. The TS4's I listed and had 4 offers in the first few days. Ultimately I sold them to another forum member but still, the recognition and interest is growing! Maltby selling out of clubs isn't optimal for demand, but it also allows Maltby to get going on their new stuff sooner because the budget for R&D is being fulfilled a lot quicker. It's good for everyone! 

Prices go up too which is a bummer. I’m pulling the trigger on a test 7i (TS3) and now I’m worried if by the time I test and decide to order 4-G will they have raised the cost from $55 to $60… I believe Gabe’s review of TS1-IM led to price increase (let me

know if I am wrong)

Edited by high5golf

2 hours ago, high5golf said:

I believe Gabe’s review of TS1-IM led to price increase (let me

know if I am wrong)

The TS1-IM hasn't changed price since introduction, 59.99 from the start.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Another option could be using the Ping static fit chart, as a starting point.  It *is* only a starting point, since your normal swing could add a tweak to the chart results (both Maltby and Ping).

Sincerely,

-fellow human t-rex golfer

I'm just the opposite.  If I spend too much time in the rough I end up with grass stains on my knuckles.

• Haha 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

13 hours ago, Cameron Circle T said:

I still used shims.  My TS4's had a little more play than I would like.  I've found that on all of these "universal" hosels from them.  

12 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Agree that taper have a little too much play.  When possible I go with constant weight parallel tip, which is why I love Nippon 1050GH.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

2 minutes ago, 4dgolf said:

Anyone still using the ke4 tour fdi? I would love to add a Maltby utility iron to the bag but I’m feeling as though the ke4 may be a bit outdated at this point. Any address / in-hand pics from those who have one ?

I recently built a 23* 

I used the same shaft as my irons and it’s cut to 5 iron length. I use it as my longest iron to go with my 6-G TS4s. I’ve got a few rounds in with it and I love it. 

It does have a lower trajectory. I’m finding I can hit a reliable lazy fade or step on it and turn it over. As a result it’s filling the 4 and 5 irons gap perfectly. 

It’s easy to hit, sounds and feels great and has opened an extra spot in my bag. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mako J said:

I recently built a 23* 

I used the same shaft as my irons and it’s cut to 5 iron length. I use it as my longest iron to go with my 6-G TS4s. I’ve got a few rounds in with it and I love it. 

It does have a lower trajectory. I’m finding I can hit a reliable lazy fade or step on it and turn it over. As a result it’s filling the 4 and 5 irons gap perfectly. 

It’s easy to hit, sounds and feels great and has opened an extra spot in my bag. 

would you say the lower launch is a product of the head itself or your shaft choice ? 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 4dgolf said:

would you say the lower launch is a product of the head itself or your shaft choice ? 

It plays just like a thin faced, hollow iron, in a larger size.  It doesn't play like a regular hybrid.  Flight would be comparable to that of both TS1 iron designs in the same actual loft.  The differences are a longer face or "blade length" and wider sole on the FDI.

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 1

Anyone play the newer TS1 IM? Any better than the OG? The TS3 video was interesting.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

9 hours ago, 4dgolf said:

Anyone still using the ke4 tour fdi? I would love to add a Maltby utility iron to the bag but I’m feeling as though the ke4 may be a bit outdated at this point. Any address / in-hand pics from those who have one ?

What do you feel is outdated about it?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 5/31/2024 at 12:45 PM, mustang said:

When I had to call about something on my last order the lady from GW told me the had sold 750 assembled sets in one week.  That was way more than a typical month not so long ago.   She said it has been crazy.. "Those youtube video's really swamped us" was her quote!!  

I wonder how long it will last?P

I am taking my IST Pro #4 hybrid out for its first spin shortly!!

How was the hybrid?

10 hours ago, Minarets said:

Anyone play the newer TS1 IM? Any better than the OG? The TS3 video was interesting.  

I play it. Hit it against the TS3 and TE V4 which both were too low VCOG for me. I have no frame of reference against the original TS1 but I have been pleased with the performance of the TS1-IM. Probably the only other iron I have hit that rivals it (for me) is the Mizuno Pro 243. 

• Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

14 hours ago, 4dgolf said:

Just picked up a ke4 with hybrid shaft to use as a utility iron. Initial impressions is that it’s very easy to hit, not as much feedback, but nice feel and sound. Decent distance but nothing too crazy - got better numbers with a pxg utility iron but that could have been due to using new balls on that vs range balls. 

For the price it’s a helluva head