2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I remember when 2MT was posting about videotaping his swing this past winter, watching it, and yelling at himself "Wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!!"

I'm not sure this was the right approach to an off-season.

i have this whole unarticulated (i made that word up but it makes sense) opinion about how we completely misunderstand golf because we don't think of it just as a sport. literally nothing matters but what the ball does. And our eyes are really remarkable at making balls do things. like in baseball we see ball hit ball. in basketball you look at the bottom of the back of the rim and draino. but in golf instead we think about our right elbow internal rotation. So now my practice involves actually seeing the ball and reacting to it

I don’t know who it was, or with which player, but there was a coach who would yell random shot shapes at the player when they would get to the top of their backswing, and the player would then try to create said shot.

Sounded pretty cool to me as a reactive training methodology.

Let me know if you want me to come over and yell at you. Will work for certain whiskey varietals.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but I want to say it was DL2 when he was teaching DL3.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Any opinions on Jones bags? looking for something to carry a half set in - something like the Utility Rover.

I just ordered an Original for just that purpose. Should arrive Wednesday.

I know DC has a Jones bag for half set as well.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I have a Golfnow deal for Bulle Rock this Saturday at 11am $47 per person,anybody interested ?

That sounds fantastic, of course I have the cable guy coming out that am.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i have this whole unarticulated (i made that word up but it makes sense) opinion about how we completely misunderstand golf because we don't think of it just as a sport. literally nothing matters but what the ball does. And our eyes are really remarkable at making balls do things. like in baseball we see ball hit ball. in basketball you look at the bottom of the back of the rim and draino. but in golf instead we think about our right elbow internal rotation. So now my practice involves actually seeing the ball and reacting to it

Couldnt disagree more. Both basketball and baseball have a ton of nuanced skills and swing/shooting mechanics that people practice. Basketball isnt just pick up the ball and shoot, otherwise I would have made it a lot longer as a starter. Or ask Markelle Fultz how "you look at the bottom of the back and draino" is working out for him. Just cant disagree with this enough. Even the most successful hitters in the last 3-5 years have started to study and use Trackman.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I know DC has a Jones bag for half set as well.

torn between the utility rover and a classic.

If you're going for just a bag for half set use - the classic/original is all you need. Its perfect for what its built for.

Looking for any insights on visiting Pebble Beach and possibly playing TPC Harding this Christmas.

Take the time to go to the Tap Room and have the coconut cake with a Guiness. You can thank me later.

Also, remember that Pebble is a public track and you are allowed to walk the cart paths. If you walk halfway up 18 there are usually chairs set out where you can watch people at the end of the day. Good spot for a beer and a cigar - see my avatar.

Couldnt disagree more. Both basketball and baseball have a ton of nuanced skills and swing/shooting mechanics that people practice. Basketball isnt just pick up the ball and shoot, otherwise I would have made it a lot longer as a starter. Or ask Markelle Fultz how "you look at the bottom of the back and draino" is working out for him. Just cant disagree with this enough. Even the most successful hitters in the last 3-5 years have started to study and use Trackman.

It's both of these things, and much more.

City is a perfect example. He works on his game, and is actually making sustained progress over time. And that's at a level where it's really hard to keep getting even fractionally better. He does it all. He works on mechanics and takes lessons from time to time. He works on developing shots with different clubs, and varying ball flights. He works on fundamental skills like low point, path, and face. He does free form practice. He does practice where he can score and evaluate himself.

Bags. . .

I like those Sun Mountain. Last time I was looking for a bag, I looked at those and the Ogio's. I like the brands that are dedicated bag brands. But, I think Ping puts a lot of thought into their bags and I went with their 14-way cart bag for push carting.

For a Sunday bag, I looked at the Jones, too, but went with the Ping Moonlite. It's not as sexy as the Jones, but its even more minimal, a pound lighter, has two shoulder straps (not a big selling point when you're carrying 7, but sometimes I use it, like if I'm hoofing in from the 15th hole when it gets dark). It has a waterproof side where you lay it on the ground and a well-placed valuables pocket. I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

More on that fun stuff later.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Its interesting that in the last few years more and more companies are selling dedicated bags like that. Titleist has one. Ping. Scott Cameron had a pencil bag as part of their Club Cameron packs this year - actually was real good quality.

Its interesting that in the last few years more and more companies are selling dedicated bags like that. Titleist has one. Ping. Scott Cameron had a pencil bag as part of their Club Cameron packs this year - actually was real good quality.

It is, but I have no idea who they're for. . .a handful of golf geeks playing funsie rounds?

Those kinds of people are in this thread, and this website, but there aren't too many of them.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Pretty good article by Jay Busbee on The Match.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tiger-vs-phil-mess-heres-golf-can-make-better-171501712.html

I love his idea of micing up the Tuesday Phil money games, or putting one of those on Black Friday. Nerf and I watched Phil & Jeff Overton play Hunter Mahan and DJ on a Tuesday when they played the US Open at Congo - that had to be a fun listen if it were miced up and televised.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Looking for any insights on visiting Pebble Beach and possibly playing TPC Harding this Christmas.

Take the time to go to the Tap Room and have the coconut cake with a Guiness. You can thank me later.

Also, remember that Pebble is a public track and you are allowed to walk the cart paths. If you walk halfway up 18 there are usually chairs set out where you can watch people at the end of the day. Good spot for a beer and a cigar - see my avatar.

Thanks for the tip regarding the coconut cake - the wife will be thrilled.

Did not know that you could actually walk the cart paths and will definitely try that for at least a couple of holes.

Glad to get an email yesterday that Directv is refunding everyone's money that paid for the match.

So long as they insist on having 6-8 announcers in two different booths - and commercials - I'm never paying for one of those again. If you want to have a true, mic'd up, cursing allowed pay per view. I'm in. But given how much control the Tour had over this, I think we'll never see this.

Are we talking about the organic, artisan, gluten-free, sustainable, free-range, handcrafted carry bags that are becoming all the rage among social media golfers? To each their own, but I'm not snapping off $400-$1,000 for one of those things. They're just customizable, luxury Sunday bags. You can spend $100 or less for a PING Moonlite, and get a lighter, more functional bag.

Agreed! I sat outside at the bench, for several hours, had an amazing cheeseburger there and watched people play into 18. Make sure to drive 17 mile drive. Walk up to the first time as well. Amazing views everywhere on the peninsula.

Thanks. What annoys me is that a client of mine and his girlfriend stayed at the lodge and went out and played around of golf. They both couldn’t tell you the difference between a wedge and a driver!!

He was nice enough to bring me a shirt from the pro shop.

Are we talking about the organic, artisan, gluten-free, sustainable, free-range, handcrafted carry bags that are becoming all the rage among social media golfers? To each their own, but I'm not snapping off $400-$1,000 for one of those things. They're just customizable, luxury Sunday bags. You can spend $100 or less for a PING Moonlite, and get a lighter, more functional bag.

If I could have afforded an Elliot bag, I would have had him make me one. I had a chance to meet him @ 6 years ago down at Kiawah and he made me a couple of custom headcovers. Bags are freaking beautiful.

I play with 6-7 clubs during offseason a good bit, when I'm just trying to motor around.

It's quicker to carry than push, and it's way easier to schlep around a bag with 6-7 clubs than a full set, at least for my wispy self.

I only have one bag, and it's a stand bag. It's plenty light enough just dumping out some clubs, that I have no need for a lighter bag dedicated to carrying a partial set.

It has the added benefit of forcing you to work on smooching little halfers in when you're at tweener yardages.

Other than playing the 7' 6's this year, I've never had the desire to play a round of golf with half of a set of clubs. I get it's a thing, it's just not for me.

As I said earlier, even though I do it. . .it's barely even a thing.

I do it in the winter mainly because it's faster and easier. Those minutes are precious when you're rolling up in your car at 3:30 and you have 80 minutes till sunset. Toss a few sticks in and go. I lay my bag on the green, take it anywhere, use cut-throughs some times that I can't do with a push cart. It's just a very efficient way to golf.

I do enjoy hitting different shots with a limited set, but I think the efficacy of that in improvement is minimal.

I don't know why Fabb does it on a Sunday round when we're out playing for cash.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I do it in the winter mainly because it's faster and easier. Those minutes are precious when you're rolling up in your car at 3:30 and you have 80 minutes till sunset. Toss a few sticks in and go. I lay my bag on the green, take it anywhere, use cut-throughs some times that I can't do with a push cart. It's just a very efficient way to golf.

Its all of this. Especially on days when its push carts on path - carrying a half set makes it much faster. Especially if I know I'm going to go out and only play 6 holes or so.

I'm still waiting on someone to figure out a $15 version with supplies purchased @ Home Depot.

My TM Flextech got delivered last night- holy crap, this is a well thought out bag. It's about 4.7 lbs, has a ton of pockets and a built in carabiner for towels. Of course, TM openly admits they took the best parts of the Hoofer and tried to improve it. I'm trying to get out more for quick 9 hole loops with ~10 clubs and get some winter exercise as well. Flat base works well in the initial Clicgear fit-up.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Yup. My favorite thing to do in winter is to throw 2 or 3 beers in the bag on a weekend afternoon and hit the dog track just down the street for 9 (or 12 or 15) with 6 or 7 clubs. Even better when its 38*-40* as I have the course to myself. I'll probably get in 10-12 of those rounds between now and March.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Yup. My favorite thing to do in winter is to throw 2 or 3 beers in the bag on a weekend afternoon and hit the dog track just down the street for 9 (or 12 or 15) with 6 or 7 clubs. Even better when its 38*-40* as I have the course to myself. I'll probably get in 10-12 of those rounds between now and March.

DON'T TALK ABOUT BRAMBLETON LIKE THAT