2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I haven't swung basically all month. Told myself I'm putting the clubs down until January. It's a good GD thing it's almost January, because this is driving me crazy. It's been effective tho. Really getting in a good routine exercising. And basically no amount of time I put in or take off this winter will make a lick of difference come spring.

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my personal phone with an iPhone (XR). That was my last non-Apple device, minus an older desktop windows/linux PC I keep as a server and in case I need to boot a Windows-only program (increasingly rare). 10 years ago I thought you had to be a moron to overpay for Apple stuff. I built my own PCs that had the same power for half the price. Now between work and my own stuff I have 6 Apple devices within my reach right now and thinking about a 7th (new iPad Pro).

Google has been driving me up the wall lately. And now I just logged in to gmail on my computer and saw they sent me a notification reminding me to install all their apps on my new phone. Again, 10 years ago I was all in on everything they did. Now the depth of their tracking is an annoyance at best and scary at worst. I just want to pay money and not have everything I do tracked, aggregated, and sold so I can get "free" services. I'm ditching Android. I'm ditching Chrome. I'm ditching Drive. GMail, Maps, and Search are the only things remaining. And I'm starting to use Search in Private mode (not "incognito mode" since I'm not in Chrome) for more than just things I want to hide from my wife.

I haven't swung basically all month. Told myself I'm putting the clubs down until January. It's a good GD thing it's almost January, because this is driving me crazy. It's been effective tho. Really getting in a good routine exercising. And basically no amount of time I put in or take off this winter will make a lick of difference come spring.

Mine are getting regripped and a new LA golf graphite shaft going into the bettinardi.

i definitely need to adjust to putting with flag in on shortish inside the cup putts. i am pretty sure i am subconsciously trying to avoid it from a line and speed standpoint.

Same, same.

Or I'll just have the flag out on those, and drive City bananas.

Leaving the flag in 100% does actually speed up

Play. My test case for this is the past Sunday when I played with a buddy, his 72 yo pops (who walked Hialeah like a boss), and a random we met along the way.

I took it out a few times without really thinking about it the other round..

Im just going to leave it in from now unless someone asks.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my personal phone with an iPhone (XR). That was my last non-Apple device, minus an older desktop windows/linux PC I keep as a server and in case I need to boot a Windows-only program (increasingly rare). 10 years ago I thought you had to be a moron to overpay for Apple stuff. I built my own PCs that had the same power for half the price. Now between work and my own stuff I have 6 Apple devices within my reach right now and thinking about a 7th (new iPad Pro).

I'm with you on everything except the phone. Apple has given the middle finger to everyone when it comes to developing their phones. Samsung/Google/whoever is still crushing Apple with what I would consider basic features in phones now. Expandable memory with micro SD cards. Fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone. Advanced camera features. High end unbreakable screens. Waterproof rating. 5G compatibility. Apple just says F-you, buy our phones or dont, we dont care about putting these features in, these are APPLE PHONES. They are constantly 3-4 release cycles behind Samsung or Google when it comes to putting this kind of stuff in. Heck I think they *just* added wireless charging?

Everything else I'm with you on. Wife and I have 2 Macbook Pros, 3 ipads and my wife has an iPhone...9 I think. My phone is the last hold out. I still have an S7 Edge but I'm picking up the new S10 5G when it comes out in February. Its not that their phones arent great - the obviously get well reviewed by all the tech blogs - but since I only upgrade my phone every few years, I'm waiting it out this time around.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Just logged in to see if the range was open today, was shocked the course is open/range is closed.

Isn't grass either "saturated" or not? Unsure how great "very saturated" is...

I'm with you on everything except the phone. Apple has given the middle finger to everyone when it comes to developing their phones. Samsung/Google/whoever is still crushing Apple with what I would consider basic features in phones now. Expandable memory with micro SD cards. Fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone. Advanced camera features. High end unbreakable screens. Waterproof rating. 5G compatibility. Apple just says F-you, buy our phones or dont, we dont care about putting these features in, these are APPLE PHONES. They are constantly 3-4 release cycles behind Samsung or Google when it comes to putting this kind of stuff in. Heck I think they *just* added wireless charging?

Everything else I'm with you on. Wife and I have 2 Macbook Pros, 3 ipads and my wife has an iPhone...9 I think. My phone is the last hold out. I still have an S7 Edge but I'm picking up the new S10 5G when it comes out in February. Its not that their phones arent great - the obviously get well reviewed by all the tech blogs - but since I only upgrade my phone every few years, I'm waiting it out this time around.

Hardware-wise, I agree that the Galaxy phones are every bit as good as the iPhone. It was really Android and Google tracking that was getting on my nerves.

I jumped on the Apple train a few years ago because I wanted a new laptop and the MacBook pro just blew everything out of the water in terms of form factor and build quality. I still think that's the case with laptops. It's semi silly, but I ended up with an iMac desktop because of the screen. I thought the screen was way better than anything that was on the market.

Played umd with Sull, hoop and domes today. I think, but I don't know for sure, that the pin kept one putt out.

I cancelled on them last night because of the shrimp, but I woke up today and felt better, ate a few crackers, checked the weather, and couldn't not play. I brought a change of underwear, socks, and a roll of tp, just in case.

Good match. ME&Sull. Domes birdied 7 to go 2 up then Sully birdied 8 from about 4 feet, then I birdied 9 to square the front. Good stretch. Give hoop about 6 inches of string and we lose the back by about 4, but he just couldn't buy a putt and we nipped them when they both farted on 17.

Way back when, wife had an iPhone. After about 18 months, it stopped connecting to wifi. We went to an Apple store. They were like "oh yeah, that's a known issue. There's no fix. You need to get a new phone." we've never bought an apple product since.

Also, work is all on pc's. And all our software is for pc's (literally. You can't run anything we wrote on macs.) so it doesn't make sense to have anything different.

All the privacy issues...too many opinions to go into here. I read this book this year "ten arguments for deleting your social media accounts right now." that's pretty interesting if any wants to look into those issues. I'm not fully convinced. I deleted Facebook, but that was mostly because I just found myself getting bothered too often because of politics (and more often the people I agree with who are relentlessly triggered) .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The most amazing thing happened before we started, but didn't actually turn out to anything eventful. City showed up when I thought he was going to bail because he was so sick from the shrimp poisoning. When we're talking to the starter, City starts telling him about his "gastrointestinal issues", so the starter tells him where all the portapotties are on the course. Then City opens his bag, pulls out a roll of TP and a fresh pair of boxers, and shows them to the starter to let him know he's covered for any bad situations.

That was the first round I logged since October 8. I played the 7s and Turkey Shoot in there, but that's it. It was sopping wet, but the weather was amazing. It's about as nice as you can ever expect it to be at the end of December. I mentioned it to someone during the round, but I've played relatively infrequently since ~March when I was on leave for the baby and playing a ton. I don't think I've played a round in fast and firm conditions since May. It really has been a miserably wet year.

Felt like I played well and shot a decent score (86) that could have been better. I was greenside in 1 on 7 and 17 and walked away +1 on those two holes. But not bad for a windy and soaked day. The Trackman session I did a few weeks ago definitely helped. Realizing I wasn't actually coming over the top was a big surprise, and I was able to swing it like I felt like I was over the top today. Really I'm just leaving the face open a bit. Misses were dead fades (start right, goes right) that stayed in play. But I also hit a couple of draws when I finally closed it down properly. On 8 I hit it to 4 feet and City goes "that actually looked like a golf swing." I was too happy with the result to understand that it probably wasn't much of a compliment on my standard of play.

I put the Prolaunch Blue 65R in the F8+ and it had some much better results for me. Higher ball flight with more carry for sure, and it seemed to perform well in the wind. On 10 the wind was right in to us and I was 30 yards past City/Domes/Hoop. I just calculated the odds of that happening and it's slightly less than winning the Powerball. I was typically 10-20 yards behind those guys, but in to the wind we pretty even. Over the summer I felt that my iron game was pretty good but my tee game was trash, but today it all felt even. Definitely a good sign.

So with the swing and the shaft, two good instant things from being on the trackman for two hours a few weeks ago. Definitely need to get back down there when the weather isn't this nice.

I also think the one length irons could be in my future. Definitely like the 5-iron I've been testing. Hit a great shot on 18 from the right fairway bunker to just short of the green. The only hang-up I've had is that I hit the 5-iron lower than my regular 5-iron, and I already hit it lower than I'd like. But with the prolaunch regular experiment, I feel less bad about playing some regular flex shafts that would bring the flight up a bit more.

Well... ladies and gentle dingii.

Went to Golfdom today, was planning on having the 990's reshafted. Decided to not do that and took a look around the store. Checked out the Titleist Player's stand bags. None of the Players 5 were available, and the Players 4's were priced... rather hefty. Ended up getting a 50 degree SM7, with 12 degrees of Bounce in the F Grind. Also picked up a Grey fitted Titleist Hat.

Then went to the D.S.G. at Dulles Town Center. Wanted to see how their selection was of those same bags. Found one Players 5 that was cheaper than what Golfdom was selling Players 4 bags. That made me chuckle a good bit.

Farted around a little bit more before I took a look at the hitting bay. Lo and behold there's some demo irons right next to it. So I grabbed the Titleist 718 AP2, Mizuno MP-18SC, TaylorMade P760, and the Titleist 718 CBs.

Wiped out the past strikes on their software and hit my own. Every one of them flew around the same, even if the shafts were NOWHERE near what I should play. Every average was 128 Carry distance for 132 total yardage. Even hit a few shots that I would likely try and play from low runners to hitting a high fade. I only did those with 2 of them, as I didn't want to do an hour demo session of everything hitting various shots.

Ended up hitting about 25 shots total, didn't buy a thing and left. Grabbed a late lunch and now back at home.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I think Sully set the record today for searching for a ball most beyond where his ball actually came to rest. He might have been looking at about 240 on a shot that went 180.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Looks like its getting to 60* on Tuesday...oh wait, thank god the course closes from Jan 1st-15th every year. Cant argue too much this year though, course probably needs the extra rest. Hopefully we can actually get a couple weeks with relatively no rain.

Just realized L.A. Confidential on Netflix. One of my favorites.

They've rotated in some good stuff the last few months. I got halfway through Season 2 of Fauda last night but overall a bunch of good shows on there right now.

Psyched to be visiting Pebble Beach tomorrow.
enjoy paying the toll just to get there. I think it’s like $27.

The toll ($10.25)was worth it!!! The 17 drive was pretty cool.

To be able to have lunch overlooking the iconic 18th hole and walk around was an absolute blast.

The ocean course at Half Moon Bay on the way also looked incredible.

Psyched to be visiting Pebble Beach tomorrow.
enjoy paying the toll just to get there. I think it’s like $27.

The toll ($10.25)was worth it!!! The 17 drive was pretty cool.

To be able to have lunch overlooking the iconic 18th hole and walk around was an absolute blast.

The ocean course at Half Moon Bay on the way also looked incredible.

sounds awesome, the price must have been reduced for off season. When we were out there 2 summers ago the cost was $30 and wife said “NO”. So I’m jealous...

So ogre and I played 18 yesterday at Herndon. Very nice course fir being a muni. Greens were slow, as expected due to all the rain along with the only some area of the course. Seemed to drain well.

For not playing in 2 months, hitting a 93 was pretty good, even with 2 lost balls. Of the 4 drivers I hit, 3 were perfect and up the middle with a slight fade. The 1st drive was a real bad slice into a pond.

Ogre hit really well and consistent. Decided to only hit Irons and he actually stuck to that game plan with a 3 iron off the tee. He shot a 97 with a birdie.

Overall it was a great day of golf for the last days of 2018.