2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Apparently, I had vice-versa'ed my memories. Doesn't it make more sense that Chandler would be more grossed out than Joey about sharing soap.

https://www.quora.com/In-Friends-what-does-Joey-mean-when-he-says-to-Chandler-Think-of-the-last-thing-I-wash-and-the-first-thing-you-wash

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @XHoop24 said:

> Part 1

> **Itinerary**

> Day 1 - Arrive at MKE at 8 PM, drive to Madison for the night

> Day 2 - Drive from Madison to SV, Mammoth at 9:30 AM, Sand Valley at 2:30, Sandbox at 7

> Day 3 - SV at 9, Mammoth at 2:30, drive to Ripon

> Day 4 - Lawsonia Links 9:40 and 2:30

> Day 5 - Erin Hills 10:30 (rained out), fly home

>

BTW, your plan was 36, 36, 36, 18 & Fly?

That seems excessive.

I had to map it out. Doens't look like too much driving to hit those places.

sktcsjd87txd.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Also, yes, I would fly on that plane. The risk of death is probably high compared to baseline airplane flying. But in no sense is it high compared to other things we do in life. We just think it's so much worse because "oooooh, scary plane crash."

> >

>

> Exactly. And a "computer" runs every single flight that you are on now. I think Tesla proved that their autopilot driving is statistically safer than non-autopiloted driving. People who think its nonsense and that they can stop quicker or react quicker than a computer are kidding themselves. I'm not saying its perfect by any means. But I would have no issues driving in one or driving next to one.

>

I think we still need a human side of things though. Planes have auto pilot and generally that’s what pilots use the whole time except for take off and landing and I’ve even heard some newer planes can actually do that. My brother just got a Tesla model 3 with the auto drive and I’ll be visiting him this weekend and for sure I will not be using the auto drive. I agree computers can react quicker than a human. My Audi has auto brake as it senses cars in front and it’s gone off a few times when I’ve been cut off. I could have hit the brakes myself but it was just quicker. I don’t trust auto drive.

• Like 1

> @TheCityGame said:

> Apparently, I had vice-versa'ed my memories. Doesn't it make more sense that Chandler would be more grossed out than Joey about sharing soap.

>

> https://www.quora.com/In-Friends-what-does-Joey-mean-when-he-says-to-Chandler-Think-of-the-last-thing-I-wash-and-the-first-thing-you-wash

>

>

Its possible you and I...and Kent....are the only ones who even get why this is funny.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Apparently, I had vice-versa'ed my memories. Doesn't it make more sense that Chandler would be more grossed out than Joey about sharing soap.

> >

> > https://www.quora.com/In-Friends-what-does-Joey-mean-when-he-says-to-Chandler-Think-of-the-last-thing-I-wash-and-the-first-thing-you-wash

> >

> >

>

> Its possible you and I...and Kent....are the only ones who even get why this is funny.

Never forget Gmen.

He's always good for a "like" on Old School references.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That Wisconsin driving may not look bad but at least the Kohler > EH drive was not fanstastic or overly quick.

> @gsrjc said:

> I think we still need a human side of things though. Planes have auto pilot and generally that’s what pilots use the whole time except for take off and landing and I’ve even heard some newer planes can actually do that.

So I got my Infiniti in 2013 but the one I got in 2005 was the first year that they had adaptive cruise control in it. And I know if I get cut off on the highway now, that thing definitely has better reaction time than I do - its almost immediately braking, and it defnitely can start before my foot hits the pedal. And thats just one tiny feature on a brand thats not really known for any sort of "autopilot" technology. I know a lot of cars now seem to market some kind of "lane assist" driving too which I've never seen in person but seems to be in more than one commercial.

To me its just incredible to think about. I think Jalopnik maybe featured a couple of guys who drove cross country on autopilot, including to the charging stations. I would never use it to sit back and read a book but if I had a commute that was in heavy traffic or otherwise mundane, I could see it being invaluable.

> @FAbb said:

> That's disgraceful. Xander deserves a GD Pulitzer for that piece.

>

> Any comparison between Dormie and SV, Hoop?

>

> Bummed to see you guys missed out on Erin Hills. Guess you'll just have to go back :)

Its been a while since I played Dormie, but the routing feels a bit more natural with SV. Dormie doesn't have a very good > @TheCityGame said:

> > @XHoop24 said:

> > Part 1

> > **Itinerary**

> > Day 1 - Arrive at MKE at 8 PM, drive to Madison for the night

> > Day 2 - Drive from Madison to SV, Mammoth at 9:30 AM, Sand Valley at 2:30, Sandbox at 7

> > Day 3 - SV at 9, Mammoth at 2:30, drive to Ripon

> > Day 4 - Lawsonia Links 9:40 and 2:30

> > Day 5 - Erin Hills 10:30 (rained out), fly home

> >

>

> BTW, your plan was 36, 36, 36, 18 & Fly?

>

> That seems excessive.

>

> I had to map it out. Doens't look like too much driving to hit those places.

>

> sktcsjd87txd.jpg

>

Good question, and the first two days walking at SV definitely pushed me to my limits. The 36 at Lawsonia was in a cart on fairways - so pretty easy golf to play. I wanted to play both SV courses twice, and this was the only day to do it on this trip. This is one of the few weekends a year I can play as much golf as possible, so I was all in on this schedule. That said, I will definitely adjust moving forward. If we had a third day at Sand Valley, with the walking, I would definitely move to 18 on at least one of the days, but won't be thinking about that for a few years. Doak is opening the third course at SV which is a par 68 and supposed to be around 6k from the tips. I see that as a really nice feature for a second round when you have massive walks that SV and MD both require. Good way to do a second 18 but reduce the overall mileage.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Hoop did you guys consider flying into Madison? Mrs DC wanted to go to SV in October and wondering if that option was too pricey, not a big enough airport - whatever. We flew into Milwaukee a couple years ago when we did Kohler/EH and it was fine but we also had a couple things we wanted to hit in the city too.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Hoop did you guys consider flying into Madison? Mrs DC wanted to go to SV in October and wondering if that option was too pricey, not a big enough airport - whatever. We flew into Milwaukee a couple years ago when we did Kohler/EH and it was fine but we also had a couple things we wanted to hit in the city too.

No - never considered it. Not sure if they have directs but would definitely shave off an hour or so from the drive. Got the direct from DCA to MKE on SW which was very reasonable so never looked into other options. If there is a direct to Madison would be a good option to at least consider.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

> @dcmidnight said:

> Hoop did you guys consider flying into Madison? Mrs DC wanted to go to SV in October and wondering if that option was too pricey, not a big enough airport - whatever.

With you being a big traveler, and golf trip taker, I can't possibly recommend strongly enough that you go to Bandon, DC. It's far. It's expensive (so is Pinehurst, and Streamsong, and Sand Valley, and Sea Island, and any number of other places). It's not as friendly, weather wise. Whatever. Just do it. It's a stone cold lock to vault to one of the top spots on the list of places you've been.

Sand Valley is definitely on my short list. Going to wait for the Doak shortie to be built.

Still planning on Scotland and/or Ireland in the not too distant future.

It's all just money and time.

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Adding to xhoop's excellent recap:

Instead of Erin Hills, we played 18 at Hartford Golf Club just down the road. It was less than 1/10th of the price, and we didn't have anything else going on, so we figured even if we got rained on (we did....delay for probably 90 minutes), it would be money well spent. we ended up playing 17 holes and thinking we had to rush to the airport, but our flight back was delayed by 2.5 hours. It was fine, kind of a nicely conditioned EPP, but nothing more than a time killer.

We went over to EH just to check it out, and it has a different vibe than Sand Valley. you can't get in the gate without a tee time (luckily they still had us on there even though we cancelled), whereas people who live near SV and not playing golf were hanging out at Craig's Porch eating tacos, drinking Spotted Cow, and watching golfers. I'm not saying it was stuffy, but it appeared they were trying to go for a country club look and feel, while SV was very much a resort.

Phone said 36,771 steps on the first day at SV.

I am currently inflicted with a bad case of the shanks. Had issues hitting any irons the entire trip. If I didn't shank it, it was significantly short, due to a tentative swing. I'm sure they will disappear as suddenly as they appeared, but due to that, I wasn't really able to get a good feel for any of the courses. It didn't really matter that the greens were receptive vs repellative (new word alert), I was smashing the hos. My driving was pretty good. One really good driver off the deck the second round at mammoth. Decided to try and make par with it, but couldn't get up and down.

Lots of solid center-line bunkering on Sand Valley. That course is no joke, man.

Wisconsin is in Canada.

Lawsonia is the Bethpage of Wisconsin. Dudes wearing red Wisc. Badgers Football hoodies. Couple guys wearing shorts on a high-40's day. Dumb jokes flying around. Forced excessive laughing. You know the type.

Everyone at every course was extremely nice. And the townie restaurants were even better. Everyone was super friendly. Everything is fried. Here's the first page of the menu at Adam's Rib (xhoop's ribs/hashbrowns dinner). Was curious about the cheeseburger salad. I got the weekend-only twice baked potato, and was envious of xhoop's hashbrowns. Homemade bread pudding for dessert was pretty sweet.

![](https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bAHKE4fsKVAA918Lx4WPO4C_ZkB3h6EPAy2ebCDvKpgp6d56irwc2HHu1ALm4TBjRNL-Zd-iFtemin_NXivJbO3i_d7G5QdGFYr6X5ORHMH4ed__7Aa40XkmNFTsH7dHMPygj4t8i4hP4DlCHaNcfc8lDJkbgkTMok4HTHjQebSvSramqZW3SCYrmv6r9h7xm2ST83x7a1TaZPgIbHAidzDfWkxdhCxs8Epn2RMtE7Zf5pTmj3fqBEF-NozrCQapEofKKwZlB_p6TSh85IKfw2offk8naOADeQlBShaGHJxEw4jRZLcH_WtJXhEzpXms7tjOuXVSt5byyOJw4WXy3paLxOjOtQ5NzssQyaileH6K7g0eAyZBC93xaJ9nBO4Ap5qYrOJgNqhGPVtduIGzsRgQKYJbPHTwnMnYafY18aDzJok9CqOPk26lIxy1J5sV0KSN68-EjwV3KXRAIpSoXKhujHOoD8q_O9hP3Rq3MFsxhGy12QpFwZuDHkmR5sME95Vf5CJ7tMrcmZcAtQuiCWDduPmLXe4fzVToHOIPd_mgNDjwRGBbYg1EKl3j0f36S9FNF3mcFFeiaD2O_PIH1AwU3fglneF-5YupHAKmtbBD3885HwxQWgRrJ4LyN42YrjzPmSC7Syx168Q7YKcbECkJA4bEWCKICHBhJSiRQvky18VMQ-lBF-pGvFV5nLjteCXNxPcbEDraF7Bqp2b0NAYKZQ=w715-h953-no-tmp.jpg "")

Spent two nights at the decidedly non-resort Stay Inn in Ripon, WI. Dude who runs it lives just off the "office", He said his monthly residents live on one side of the motel and we were on the other side. He was a gruff looking guy, but like everyone else, really nice.

I will be back to Sand Valley in a few years when they have the 3rd course and their version of the punchbowl/thisle du built. Would probably skip Lawsonia in favor of another night (maybe 2?) at the resort. The drive into SV is pretty easy. Could definitely fly to MKE in the morning, drive the 2.5, and get a round in on day 1 if you wanted to.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > I think we still need a human side of things though. Planes have auto pilot and generally that’s what pilots use the whole time except for take off and landing and I’ve even heard some newer planes can actually do that.

>

>

> So I got my Infiniti in 2013 but the one I got in 2005 was the first year that they had adaptive cruise control in it. And I know if I get cut off on the highway now, that thing definitely has better reaction time than I do - its almost immediately braking, and it defnitely can start before my foot hits the pedal. And thats just one tiny feature on a brand thats not really known for any sort of "autopilot" technology. I know a lot of cars now seem to market some kind of "lane assist" driving too which I've never seen in person but seems to be in more than one commercial.

>

> To me its just incredible to think about. I think Jalopnik maybe featured a couple of guys who drove cross country on autopilot, including to the charging stations. I would never use it to sit back and read a book but if I had a commute that was in heavy traffic or otherwise mundane, I could see it being invaluable.

>

yeah, my car has the "lane assist" and i've tried it a couple of times on straight away roads and it works for 45 seconds and then shuts off because it's not intended to be permanent. I will say the reaction of the car when it does drift isn't that quick. I tried to not grab the wheel a few times and it's scary. oh wow, i'll have to check out the Jalopnik and read about that.

Awesome recap Hoop! Mammoth and Sand Valley both look incredible.

The roommate and I took a mini vacation to Chicago two weekends ago. I convinced her that we should stop and play on the way up to help break up the drive. It ended up working out pretty perfectly as we never hit any traffic on our way into the city. We stopped in South Bend and played the Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame. It was a great deal for a Coore and Crenshaw design at only $59 in the afternoon. They are hosting the US Senior Open at the end of June and there were grandstands going up throughout the course. They had just switched the routing so we played the course in the same order that they will play it in the Senior Open. They actually made some significant changes. The holes that normally play as 16-17-18 are now holes 1-2-3. The holes that normally play as 4-5-6 are now holes 16-17-18. That's a short 3 with a crazy green, a reachable par 5, and a tough par 4 to finish.

I really liked the course. I would have loved to have a course like this so close to campus. It is probably a good thing for my GPA that I didn't though. It would be so easy to sneak over for a few holes during the day as there are 4 loops that bring you back to the clubhouse (1-6, 7-9, 10-15, & 16-18). I played it at 6700 yards and thought it was a good test. Reachable par 5's, a couple of long par 4's, a short 3, and a long 3. It was forgiving off of the tee but really challenged you on approaches. The greens were also very undulating. If they get those things running fast for the Senior Open there will definitely be some holes where being above the hole will be absolutely dead.

345 Yard Par 4 1st (usually hole 16)

u1kmena28hd2.jpeg

180 Yard Par 3 12th (usually hole 9)

cezp10ympe9k.jpeg

gyouyh0iz37p.jpeg

143 Yard Par 3 16th (usually hole 4)

qrty8bd3sf75.jpeg

64n2ksqyplxy.jpeg

• Like 1

The chef salad has ham, turkey, cheese and an egg. That's my idea of salad.

I can't even imagine getting fettuccini alfredo in a place like that. Well, really, getting fettuccini alfredo anywhere. And, I certainly wouldn't add SHIRMP for $6 more.

They "saute" the pasta IN the alfredo sauce? I mean, you can toss the pasta in the sauce. You can "saute" things in oil. I don't know how you saute pasta in alfredo sauce.

Domes, what do you think 36,771 steps is? 15 miles? More?

I heard someone going in saying "most golf courses are a 5 mile walk. Bethpage is 6".

My oncore ball Bethpage is a 6 mile walk.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> They "saute" the pasta IN the alfredo sauce? I mean, you can toss the pasta in the sauce. You can "saute" things in oil. I don't know how you saute pasta in alfredo sauce.

I have a lot of questions about this menu lol.

I'm eating light today. . .can I just get the sauteed mushrooms, a side of cottage cheese, and the large fresh garden salad?

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

How are the deep fried onion rings different from regular onion rings? I would ask are they just fried twice but having been up there - the answer to that joking-question is probably yes.

We went with the Fried Brewhouse Combo (jalepeno poppers, mushrooms, mozz sticks, chicken tenders). Big cup of ranch. Turns out dipping a mozz stick in ranch is excellent.

The Deep Fried Veggie Combo was mushrooms, cheese curds, cauliflower, mozz sticks, and jalepeno poppers.

I'm not a Rib fanatic, but I really thought the ribs there were some of the best I've had. Very tender and the right amount of sauce.

• Like 1

I know we're got some IT guys here, so I wanted to get your take on the Baltimore Ransomware situation.

[https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/](https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/ "https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/")

It's saying the city could pay them off for just 13 bitcoin (around $103,000). I get that its Baltimore, and that the ransomers may not deliver, but isn't that a drop in the bucket compared to what they are going to spend to fix this? And in any case, why would they not have automated backup systems just in case of fire or frying the server anyway?

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> I know we're got some IT guys here, so I wanted to get your take on the Baltimore Ransomware situation.

> [https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/](https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/ "https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/baltimore-ransomware-nightmare-could-last-weeks-more-with-big-consequences/")

>

> It's saying the city could pay them off for just 13 bitcoin (around $103,000). I get that its Baltimore, and that the ransomers may not deliver, but isn't that a drop in the bucket compared to what they are going to spend to fix this? **And in any case, why would they not have automated backup systems just in case of fire or frying the server anyway? **

I've read into some of these and it sounds like a complete cluster. No backup systems. Didnt pay attention to warnings. Virtually no IT budget compared to similar sized cities. Just top to bottom it sounds like a complete mess. They even mention they almost had the main city website turned off - which is hosted by AWS - and not because of ransomware but because the city was so far behind on paying its bill.

The problem is - you dont know if paying them off will actually work. What if you send them 13 bitcoin and they say oh thanks, well, we changed our mind, we want 50 more. More then likely they will take the time/money and start from scratch.