MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Much as some people want to burn them all, carts are a part of golf at this point. I'm fine with that.

There's not much more infuriating than cart paths closely encroaching lines of play, or being placed at the edge of hazard/ob/junk, though. Seeing a ball miss a target fairly narrowly, only to bounce off a path and end up much further away is maddening. Or even worse, seeing the path cause a ball that would stay in play otherwise to bounce of of play. Yeah, "just don't hit it there" applies, but it's still really annoying.

HBD had the worst cart path encounter of all time at Woodmore on #11. Hit his second down the left center of the fairway, hit the rounded corner of the cart path that cuts across the fairway, and shot into the woods. It was as big of a bullshit break as I've seen on a golf course.

But because HBD is A-OK, he just took an extra pull off the vape (rip) and let it go.

The only thing I don't like about carts is the type of golf courses that they enable to be built. Even then though, I could be swayed that it's a net positive for the game because a poorly laid out housing course is better than no course at all.

In my ideal world, golf carts would be like the electric scooters at the grocery store: there for those in need of them.

> @aiyyer said:

> Yes the requirements would make courses more inclusive but will also significantly change the way courses are designed. Obviously there are creative ways of addressing accessibility of golf courses but as in most cases where liability and legal concerns become issues, designers will take the path of resistance and the design of golf courses will eventually be watered down. Cart path slopes Will be regulated and will probably never see a course like Little Bennett designed again.

Architects (normal ones, not golf course archi's) historically don't seem to like accessibility requirements. It has led to some pretty horrible design. I get why people don't like it, but I get why it's important to Greg's friends, too.

Still, how detrimental a design choice do we want to make to accommodate, what. . .a fraction of a percent of golf rounds? Even Bandon has a system in place for people who need to take carts.

> @aiyyer said:

> The issue with Dye courses, father or son, is how “Manufactured”their courses are. Reading about how the Straits Course at whistling Straits was created and the landscape altered is pretty astounding. **Don’t think the current younger generation of course designers would espouse this theory.**

>

This is probably not true.

You and DC sound like you're saying the people who appreciate these places are of the mindset "these golf courses naturally arose from the land, designed by the hand of god, not the hand of man."

That's simply not true.

The appreciation of a place like Sweeten's (I haven't been) is not antithetical or incompatible with artificiality/manufacture, and lots of dirt moving. It's just not. No one thinks that these places are great just because they found 18 natural golf holes on the landscape and plopped down tees and greens. Mounding, sloping, drainage, building up tees. . .this goes on all of the "new age" designs.

Doak talks all the time about how much land he moves, how much he appreciates the guys with the bulldozers and earthmovers and grading equipment. They do a TON OF WORK to make courses have features that SEEM natural or reflect old school features. That's not even a thing that people think these courses are more "natural" than an Augusta or Pinehurst, or whatever.

They build holes and courses around dramatic features of the land, but end up providing a different aesthetic and different game play.

It's possible they're able to do a little less work because they don't have different cuts of grass, and the bunkers can be a little rougher. But, if you read some of Doak's writing, the amount of work that goes into making bunkers look like they arise naturally is extensive.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Carts are a part of golf. Walking is a choice now. Strategically placed carts can help quite a bit for the walkers, but people should not be discouraged from carting or walking - its their free time and their prerogative. Courses shouldn't fall into "walking courses" or "carting courses" - they are unnecessary labels.

> @"top.h" said:

> Carts are a part of golf. Walking is a choice now. Strategically placed carts can help quite a bit for the walkers, but people should not be discouraged from carting or walking - its their free time and their prerogative. Courses shouldn't fall into "walking courses" or "carting courses" - they are unnecessary labels.

We're not talking about a millennial's gender.

There are absolutely carting courses and walking courses. Most courses are pretty good for both. There are some that are way on the spectrum for one or the other.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I wonder if there's not a better material to make cart paths out of. What do you think, McDonald Golf?

xym2xtmwgs76.png

[heavy breathing] "......NO!....."

Down in pinehurst they have all that sand, so that's what they use, but is there something better than asphalt that wouldn't affect golf shots so dramatically (good or bad?)

They've got this flexible rubbery stuff around trees in DC so the roots don't crack the concrete on sidewalks.

Kingsbarns was definitely "manufactured" but I didn't care how much dirt they moved when I was playing it. It was still a bada$$ golf course on a gorgeous piece of land. It didn't matter to me that it wasn't there for 150 years.

I don't have much of an opinion on carts vs walking. I prefer to walk when I can. I just dislike when people take photos of a golf course and you see a big fat cart path taking up a big chunk of the picture. Nobody wants to see pictures of cart paths.

Cart paths, as they generally exist right now, affect play.

That's unconscionable to me. I don't know how we let it get to this point. I would like to think the first time a place put in a cart path, they said, "all right, but it absolutely can not affect a hole played in a reasonable fashion."

Someone please give me one reason why a cart path was built down the right side of this hole where balls can bounce into the creek, instead of travelling around the other side, which is basically blocked off by trees and would have no effect on the play of the hole. . .

nac4aggarjlb.jpg

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Yes.

Cases like that, where there was clearly a better choice are bewildering.

When I think about it purely from a playing golf perspective, it seems like you'd prefer to always have the path on the side the hole bends towards. Unless you hit a real wonky shot, more balls would hit the path and stay in play that way, right?

BTW, OnCore is doing a pretty good promotion on the elixirs. 2 dozen for $50 plus shipping.

https://promo.oncoregolf.com/dozenduo/?utm_source=ngf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=elixr_edeals

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> BTW, OnCore is doing a pretty good promotion on the elixirs. 2 dozen for $50 plus shipping.

>

> https://promo.oncoregolf.com/dozenduo/?utm_source=ngf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=elixr_edeals

They have 84 year old Gary Player and 82 year old Al Geiberger as brand ambassadors? OnCore is going hard after that old money.

> @therealsneek said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > BTW, OnCore is doing a pretty good promotion on the elixirs. 2 dozen for $50 plus shipping.

> >

> > https://promo.oncoregolf.com/dozenduo/?utm_source=ngf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=elixr_edeals

>

> They have 84 year old Gary Player and 82 year old Al Geiberger as brand ambassadors? OnCore is going hard after that old money.

>

It's well known that golfers who grew up watching Gary player and al geiberger make up the largest segment of direct-to-consumer internet golf ball purchasers.

> @baddomes said:

> Yeah I was looking for confirmation that the stabee was the one who cut in line. Is that confirmed? If so.......y'know.......that's fine.

I was too, but just assumed that is how it should have played out.

If you're cutting in line AND stabbing people, that's where I draw the line.

• Like 1

i'm doing winter way different this year. i'm playing a lot less. I'm practicing hardly at all. When I do practice it's going to be all practical stuff. Short game. Wedge distances. Shaping shots. Contact practice. When i play it's going to be mostly 9 hole solo rounds. i'm excited to work out hard all winter and more importantly stretch a lot every day. i'm looking forward to next year quite a bit.

> @2moreTerps said:

> i'm doing winter way different this year. i'm playing a lot less. I'm practicing hardly at all. When I do practice it's going to be all practical stuff. Short game. Wedge distances. Shaping shots. Contact practice. When i play it's going to be mostly 9 hole solo rounds. i'm excited to work out hard all winter and more importantly stretch a lot every day. i'm looking forward to next year quite a bit.

WTF is this? We are talking chicken sammiches, take this golf talk to another thread. I could sense CJ's blood pressures rising after reading THDC's post. The only way to trigger CJ worse would be to discuss the negative health effects of CBD/THC.

> @bayrat88 said:

> > @2moreTerps said:

> > i'm doing winter way different this year. i'm playing a lot less. I'm practicing hardly at all. When I do practice it's going to be all practical stuff. Short game. Wedge distances. Shaping shots. Contact practice. When i play it's going to be mostly 9 hole solo rounds. i'm excited to work out hard all winter and more importantly stretch a lot every day. i'm looking forward to next year quite a bit.

>

> WTF is this? We are talking chicken sammiches, take this golf talk to another thread. I could sense CJ's blood pressures rising after reading THDC's post. The only way to trigger CJ worse would be to discuss the negative health effects of CBD/THC.

I had to go take a tube rip so I wouldn't respond back angrily.

It's like someone saying "What's the big deal about playing Augusta National? It's only a golf course!"

7gaect98g8jp.png

Gotta be honest I was expecting way better after all this hype. Its a fine sandwich but I have no idea WTF the fuss was all about. Its a spicy chicken sandwich. I was hoping never to try it just out of spite but someone in our office brought them in. FWIW the KFC Nashville crispy colonel absolutely punks the Popeyes sandwich. Go try it.

Also - at KFC, I just walked up to the counter and ordered like a human being.

Do people that actually wait in line for this thing know that other restaurants sell spicy chicken sandwiches?

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash