Jon Rahm - early bowed left wrist

Hackinator

When done independent of forearm roll at address I believe flexion opens the face, specifically to the target. Now I don't know anatomy or how it all works but my clubface goes slightly behind my hands and opens to the target and the reverse happens when I dorsiflex the L wrist.

My theory about why we think flexion closes the face is you need your wrist to be in the process of ulnar deviating to achieve flexion, which makes the clubhead stay behind longer and easier to swing out on the ball as opposed to across it, hence closed to path or draw flight. Opposite would be more dorsiflexion, club kicking out and swing across it to not hit it left of left

��‍♂️

So you believe flexion opens the face, while dorsiflexion closes it?

When I looked at that S Clement video earlier he mentioned DJ from 7:00 - 8:00 and showed that the clubface was wide open (with a strong grip leading the hands into impact). He then mentioned the majority of DJ's shots are fades.

What does the foot have anything to do with the club face?

Wrist flexion/extension closes/opens the face via shaft rotation and can be accomplished independent of shaft plane.

[media=]

[/media]

Basically when the club is 90* to the forearm you use flexion/extension to close/open the face and when it is in line with the forearm you use supination/pronation to close/open - in between you use a combo. The wrists work in opposites - flex lead/extend trail close - extend lead/flex trail open. Besides the above video Tyler has a section in his book on wrist movements and their affect on the clubface - he also has numerous additional videos in his pay site.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

If it's placing strain on your wrist you are likely not doing it right and it does not imply unattainable talent to execute. Majority of modern players are using ulnar deviation and lead wrist flexion to some degree. Shallows the club in transition compared to many amateurs that steepen instead.

I'm not talking about flat to slightly arched. Go to the range and try to get the almost 45 deg arch that DJ does. Combine that with cocking(ulnar deviation) and then to tell me it doesn't strain the wrist. I mean actually get it that arched not just feel like you are doing it.

If it's placing strain on your wrist you are likely not doing it right and it does not imply unattainable talent to execute. Majority of modern players are using ulnar deviation and lead wrist flexion to some degree. Shallows the club in transition compared to many amateurs that steepen instead.

I'm not talking about flat to slightly arched. Go to the range and try to get the almost 45 deg arch that DJ does. Combine that with cocking(ulnar deviation) and then to tell me it doesn't strain the wrist. I mean actually get it that arched not just feel like you are doing it.

This is fair. When I actively try to bow my wrist in the mirror it "feels" like DJ's wrist would look. Then, I look in the mirror and it's basically just flat. Of course, that tells me I have a big problem with ever having a flat wrist, lol.

This is fair. When I actively try to bow my wrist in the mirror it "feels" like DJ's wrist would look. Then, I look in the mirror and it's basically just flat. Of course, that tells me I have a big problem with ever having a flat wrist, lol.

Dj has a strong left hand and also a very strong right hand grip. Take his grip and then bow.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/746351-top-of-the-backswing-cupped-bowed-or-flat/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

When done independent of forearm roll at address I believe flexion opens the face, specifically to the target. Now I don't know anatomy or how it all works but my clubface goes slightly behind my hands and opens to the target and the reverse happens when I dorsiflex the L wrist.

My theory about why we think flexion closes the face is you need your wrist to be in the process of ulnar deviating to achieve flexion, which makes the clubhead stay behind longer and easier to swing out on the ball as opposed to across it, hence closed to path or draw flight. Opposite would be more dorsiflexion, club kicking out and swing across it to not hit it left of left

��‍♂️

So you believe flexion opens the face, while dorsiflexion closes it?

When I looked at that S Clement video earlier he mentioned DJ from 7:00 - 8:00 and showed that the clubface was wide open (with a strong grip leading the hands into impact). He then mentioned the majority of DJ's shots are fades.

What does the foot have anything to do with the club face?

Wrist flexion/extension closes/opens the face via shaft rotation and can be accomplished independent of shaft plane.

So if DJ is closing the face with that excessive amount of flexion at the top of his backswing , why are the majority of his strikes (if S Clement comments are correct) fades?

https://www.golfdige...tee-shots-count

DJ Comment in above link:

"made two adjustments to my game in 2016, and it turned out to be the best season I've had as a pro. Three wins; my first major; I led the tour in scoring and finished in the top 10 in 15 of 22 PGA Tour events. What did I change? It started with my driver. I now almost always play a fade. I'm still driving it plenty far."

1.) I set up slightly open with my feet, meaning they're aligned a little left of my target (photo above). This puts my body in a position where I can swing on a path that's along my toe line. In other words, out to in in relation to my target. My ball position stays the same, just off my left heel, and my grip pressure is about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being really tight.

2.) I get a lot of attention because I keep my left wrist bowed as I swing to the top, but this puts the clubface in great position for me to hit that power fade, provided I swing on that out-to-in path on the way down (pictured below). The face is closed in relation to my target, but it's slightly open to the path, and that's what makes it start left but curve back where I want it.

3. Because of my bowed wrist, I don't have to do anything but turn my body and let my arms swing through the ball (pictured below). The clubface and path do the rest.

So , DJ is saying he uses a bowed wrist to almost pre-set the clubface square to the club path at the top of his backswing , then all he does is use his pivot to drive his arms through, minimising any need to roll his forearms to square the clubface. Is that correct?

Im not understanding your question. You high lighted why already, its closed to the target and slightly open to the path. Ball starts left and curves right. Playing with a closed face means he can rotate/swing as hard as he wants with a slight out to in path and never worry about the ball going left. Totally different ball flight compared to the OTT slicer who comes across it with the face wide open

Perhaps you should mill this over

http://www.golfwrx.com/107406/understanding-the-new-ball-flight-laws/

Love this guy's swing. Just last night my boy was continuing to fight a fade at the range. His wrist was bent the other way at the top. I showed him this position at the top...instant, long draws. The "experts" say this move is anti-draw. Not for me. Go figure.

I like how Jon can accelerate the club so powerfully with a pretty short swing. Really delivers the clubhead at a high speed...

Im not understanding your question. You high lighted why already, its closed to the target and slightly open to the path. Ball starts left and curves right. Playing with a closed face means he can rotate/swing as hard as he wants with a slight out to in path and never worry about the ball going left. Totally different ball flight compared to the OTT slicer who comes across it with the face wide open

http://www.golfwrx.c...ll-flight-laws/

What I don't understand is the logic behind DJ's swing.

1. He has a moderately strong grip (which promotes a draw)

2. He has super flexible wrists and is palmar flexing more than the average golfer - which you say closes the clubface (so it must be excessively closed for DJ)

3. He has a slight out to in club path through impact that promotes a fade.

1 and 2 are so massively biased towards a draw but he still power fades ? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Jon Rahm has a neutral grip (I think) , and also palmar flexes his wrist at the top of the backswing and he says the following:

"To start the downswing, I want to push into the ground with my legs, which lets me turn hard and left with my hips and then the upper body. When I do this, it feels like the club is just being pulled into a great impact position. Again, I'm not trying to hit the ball with my hands. One thing to remember: You've got to keep turning—even after impact (below). I feel like I'm powering the club through the ball with my body rotation. In other words, don't stop until you can't turn anymore. For me, this produces a fade that feels really solid coming off the clubface. I guess you could say I just think aim left and swing hard left. Do that, and the ball gets out there a good way. Then just grab your wedge and go make birdie.

So it seems both DJ and Jon Rahm palmar flex their lead wrist and then pivot drive their arms through to hit fades.

No one keeps the face square to the path for the entire swing - that's a swing myth. Rahm has a weak left hand grip. DJ is flexed a lot at the top but by impact he is pretty close to flat (but considerably flexed compared to his setup).

Full version of this is on Tyler's pay site - goes to statement from Rahm about rotating, etc.

In addition to ball flight consider d-plane

Basically there are a lot of ways to match up swings to produce the ball flight desired.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Can you Arch your wrist 45 degrees without a club in your hand? Does it feel strained if the answer is yes and no then your simply holding the club very differently than DJ or your doing something else that he doesn’t do. I can hold this position all the way through impact there is no strain. It’s all in not flinging the hands at the ball. You have to pivot correctly.

2. He has super flexible wrists and is palmar flexing more than the average golfer - which you say closes the clubface (so it must be excessively closed for DJ)

1 and 2 are so massively biased towards a draw but he still power fades ? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Jon Rahm has a neutral grip (I think) , and also palmar flexes his wrist at the top of the backswing and he says the following:

"To start the downswing, I want to push into the ground with my legs, which lets me turn hard and left with my hips and then the upper body. When I do this, it feels like the club is just being pulled into a great impact position. Again, I'm not trying to hit the ball with my hands. One thing to remember: You've got to keep turning—even after impact (below). I feel like I'm powering the club through the ball with my body rotation. In other words, don't stop until you can't turn anymore. For me, this produces a fade that feels really solid coming off the clubface. I guess you could say I just think aim left and swing hard left. Do that, and the ball gets out there a good way. Then just grab your wedge and go make birdie.

So it seems both DJ and Jon Rahm palmar flex their lead wrist and then pivot drive their arms through to hit fades.

Bro, face effects the starting line of the ball.

Path effects shot shape.

It all depends on the ratios you’re creating.

The club face angle in relation to the line of the swing path is what determines side spin.

An out to in path with an open face will start right and fade. An out to in path with a closed face will start left and still fade.

Your wrists being bowed or cupped is mostly personal preference and you can add forearm roll to get the shaft wherever you want at the top of the backswing.

Can you Arch your wrist 45 degrees without a club in your hand? Does it feel strained if the answer is yes and no then your simply holding the club very differently than DJ or your doing something else that he doesn’t do. I can hold this position all the way through impact there is no strain. It’s all in not flinging the hands at the ball. You have to pivot correctly.

What's arching my wrist 45 deg without holding a club got to do with anything? Of course anybody can do that. I'm talking about actually swinging a club and cocking the wrist as well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong if you can demonstrate a full driver swing and post the video here. Don't blame me if you break your wrist. I would want to see a full 45 deg arch, not just slightly arched or flat. You are probably not arching anywhere near as much as you think.

What's arching my wrist 45 deg without holding a club got to do with anything? Of course anybody can do that. I'm talking about actually swinging a club and cocking the wrist as well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong if you can demonstrate a full driver swing and post the video here. Don't blame me if you break your wrist. I would want to see a full 45 deg arch, not just slightly arched or flat. You are probably not arching anywhere near as much as you think.

Dj and rahm both have little to no radial deviation. Of course you can't flex and radially deviate much

Dj and rahm both have little to no radial deviation. Of course you can't flex and radially deviate much

I would agree with Rahm but not DJ. The guys wrist must be double jointed. Most people wouldn't be able to even physically get 45 deg of arch at the top during an actual swing. If you can I would love to see it.

I realize that we are talking about different things. Not sure what your definition of cocking the wrist is. The point of the arched wrist is to insure the club face is in a closed position before you initiate the downswing. Much of the arched wrist will go away. through impact this would be releasing the club. For myself I employee this move when I’m struggling with fluffy shots that drift to the right. It is a way to make sure the ball wont go right. It can be overdone. It’s not that unusual of a move players have been doing it for a long long time. DJ is just more extreme but his move is very similar to Trevinos.

Bro, face effects the starting line of the ball.

Path effects shot shape.

It all depends on the ratios you're creating.

The club face angle in relation to the line of the swing path is what determines side spin.

An out to in path with an open face will start right and fade. An out to in path with a closed face will start left and still fade.

Your wrists being bowed or cupped is mostly personal preference and you can add forearm roll to get the shaft wherever you want at the top of the backswing.

A out to in path with a closed face will not always fade, it can start left and go more left or start left and stay on that line depends on the face to path divergence.

That's why I mentioned the ratios.

Parts gotta match.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Parts gotta match.

I’m seriously growing so tired of this saying. Of course parts need to match to a certain degree. That doesn’t mean you don’t implement something new. The whole point of implementing, changing your swing, is changing your swing so you’ll be better. Many parts will change and many parts will match different. Rahm’s early bowed wrist would match countless different parts as long as people can swing like that without injury.

Parts don’t even have to match that well. The hall of fame is filled with players who have swings filled with compensations. It’s filled with players who relied on timing because they aren’t robots who have perfectly matching parts.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I realize that we are talking about different things. Not sure what your definition of cocking the wrist is. The point of the arched wrist is to insure the club face is in a closed position before you initiate the downswing. Much of the arched wrist will go away. through impact this would be releasing the club. For myself I employee this move when I’m struggling with fluffy shots that drift to the right. It is a way to make sure the ball wont go right. It can be overdone. It’s not that unusual of a move players have been doing it for a long long time. DJ is just more extreme but his move is very similar to Trevinos.

Definitely a flat or slightly arched leading wrist can help square up an open face at impact. This thread is more about the extreme position that Rahm and DJ gets into.

What feels arched to me is just flat on video. I have to feel almost 90 deg arching to get anywhere where DJ is. I tried it a few swings and immediately felt some pain. Never going to try it again.

What confused me was the OP's comments (specifically the underlined)

--------------------------------------------

No need to manipulate hardly anything with hands, just turning the body through.

Previously my face was coming into impact open and required a closing action with the hands.

The new feeling is that the club face is already closed and I have to rotate my body and do nothing with the hands

-------------------------------------------

He inferred that the bowing of the wrists somehow cured him of an 'open face' at impact . I automatically thought he had a previous problem slicing the ball (maybe he can confirm that).

But when I looked up Golf digest comments by both DJ and Rahm , they were both attempting to fade the ball which implied they wanted an 'open face' (compared to clubhead path).

So exactly what is the logic promoting a bowed left wrist in the golf swing? Is it just a trial and error thing to see if it works or not for some subset of golfers?

No need to manipulate hardly anything with hands, just turning the body through.

Previously my face was coming into impact open and required a closing action with the hands.

The new feeling is that the club face is already closed and I have to rotate my body and do nothing with the hands

He inferred that the bowing of the wrists somehow cured him of an 'open face' at impact . I automatically thought he had a previous problem slicing the ball (maybe he can confirm that).

But when I looked up Golf digest comments by both DJ and Rahm , they were both attempting to fade the ball which implied they wanted an 'open face' (compared to clubhead path).

So exactly what is the logic promoting a bowed left wrist in the golf swing? Is it just a trial and error thing to see if it works or not for some subset of golfers?

A face that is in line with the spine angle that is square to the target line relieves the need to square it up by releasing angles and extending the arms just prior to impact. This would promote a more rotational body driven swing.

The logic of a bowed wrist is just their comfort with getting the face matched up with their spine angle. If you have a cupped wrist you probably will need to manipulate in order to square the face: that doesn't apply to all match-ups though: see Patrick Reed (open face, roll release).

It facilitates rotation. And combined with ulnar deviation (in addition to other things) gets golfers that coveted lag

Open face leads to stall flip

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

A face that is in line with the spine angle that is square to the target line relieves the need to square it up by releasing angles and extending the arms just prior to impact. This would promote a more rotational body driven swing.

The logic of a bowed wrist is just their comfort with getting the face matched up with their spine angle. If you have a cupped wrist you probably will need to manipulate in order to square the face: that doesn't apply to all match-ups though: see Patrick Reed (open face, roll release).

Do you mean like Monte Scheinblum's new drill he's working on from 07:30 - 11:00 below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t6JJ5Hlrs

It facilitates rotation. And combined with ulnar deviation (in addition to other things) gets golfers that coveted lag

What's coveted lag? Also how does ulnar deviation fit into that?

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

But when I looked up Golf digest comments by both DJ and Rahm , they were both attempting to fade the ball which implied they wanted an 'open face' (compared to clubhead path)

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

After watching the video I have the impression that those so called " other things" you mentioned might be fairly important for the golfer to know and be able to execute to make this work. there's lot's of golfers who ulnar deviate etc. but who also flip stall.

And you are correct. Just want to insure that ud and closed face are thought to be not cure all.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified