2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Driving Distance

Ian_123456

I'm 5' 7" - 135 pounds and carry it around 240, total distance being 260-270 in optimal summer conditions. Sure I have had some 300 yard drives but that is just because I hit one really high (carrying it farther), and it hit a hard pan and ran for 40 yards, but I would not say that I hit it 300 on a consistant basis, because I don't. I won't lie, but I found that if I can hit the fairway and have a 7-iron in out of the fairway versus a wedge in my hands in deep rough, I am in good shape. I spent a lot of this year working on acuracy, and with doing this my fundamentals got more solid, and I eventually gained distance.

I am going to work on my short game (especially sinking more putts ~10-15 foot range) and if I can sink say twice as many as those, I can go from my current 4 to a scratch by beginning to middle of next season. Not to mention chipping and pitching, distance control and acuracy from 70 yards and in is KEY in suceeding in Junior golf. Especially if you start playing on the AJGA, FC/WT, ect. (which I plan on doing this spring and all next Fall-Spring schedule), you will have to find fairways, because the more prestigeous the tours get the tougher and tighter the courses get.

Later, Bryan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i trust that you guys are accurate, because i have been approached by guys at my school, claiming that they reach the 300 mark all the time, then i go out and play with them and they are a good 15 yards behind me and i average around the 280 mark. I used to try and be a long ball hitter getting around 300, but thats not how i want to play anymore because i had to scramble a lot of times because i would be in bad situations. Now im just concerned about the fairways and how to stay in them. I am pretty short though with clubs.

im 5'9 160. half asian....:tongue: must be wear the power loss comes from, sike.

I agree with the 3 handicap. These guys who say they are hitting the ball around 300 regularly should check the yardage marker IMO. That means the you guys are hitting the ball father than 1/2 the guys on tour. I hit it 280 when I'm playing well(270 avg) w/tour equipment and 110MPH swing. Are you guys saying your swing speed is 130+ mph and you hit the club in the center every time and land it in the fairway?

9 handicap

I agree with the 3 handicap. These guys who say they are hitting the ball around  300 regularly should check the yardage marker IMO. That means the you guys are hitting the ball father than 1/2 the guys on tour.  I hit  it 280 when I'm playing well(270 avg) w/tour equipment and  110MPH swing. Are you guys saying your swing speed is 130+ mph and you hit the club in the center every time and land it in the fairway?

9 handicap

65609[/snapback]

Swing speed does not neccesarily corelate inot distance its actually all about how you load the shaft and the torque you create ... the common misconception is that swing speed = fleex in your driver when in fact load = flex... its the common a= b=c but a doesnt equal c... a being SS b deing load and c being flex....... distance isnt about size its about how much you can properly load and unload the shaft in tha most efficient way.... the more aggressive a release you have generally the futher the ball will go.... anyways here emy position at the top of the swing as of last may.........................and finish.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

I agree with the 3 handicap. These guys who say they are hitting the ball around  300 regularly should check the yardage marker IMO. That means the you guys are hitting the ball father than 1/2 the guys on tour.  I hit  it 280 when I'm playing well(270 avg) w/tour equipment and  110MPH swing. Are you guys saying your swing speed is 130+ mph and you hit the club in the center every time and land it in the fairway?

9 handicap

65609[/snapback]

Really you cant judge it on how tour players drive the ball, because a lot of them focus on keeping the ball where they want it, not how far. You see on tour everyone is so long with their irons, but only around 270 with their driver. Also they keep shorter drives becuase if they are swinging for 320, thats an extra 50 yards for the wind to push it, and just one little mistake gets larger and larger as you go on.

9 handicap

65609[/snapback]

Really you cant judge it on how tour players drive the ball, because a lot of them focus on keeping the ball where they want it, not how far. You see on tour everyone is so long with their irons, but only around 270 with their driver. Also they keep shorter drives becuase if they are swinging for 320, thats an extra 50 yards for the wind to push it, and just one little mistake gets larger and larger as you go on.

65802[/snapback]

Your soo right...the harder you swing the maller the mistake it takes to send the ball offline and generally if you swing smoother the ball will travel further. :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Out of interest for the 300 yard plus people what is the role on those drives, because I find it hard to believe someone could carry it 300 yards, unless they really really wack it..

65183[/snapback]

I helped out coaching a hs team this fall here in Illinois. My #1 player would carry the ball in the 300 yard range, but he was a rarity. I didn't see anybody hit it past him all season. He was long on all of his clubs, multiple times hitting par fives over 500 yards with a wedge. But it is all drive for show and putt for dough. At the state tournament his putter went ice cold and he couldn't do better than T14. Overall at about 6'3" 150lbs he is one of the longest drivers of the ball pound for pound i have ever seen. He had a quick swing with a ton of lag. He could really control it at this long distance, which may be even more rare.

5'7", 165, I fly it like 280. Any nor cal juniors out there, we should play.

66004[/snapback]

Yeh you can play all year...in good weather when we play here in PA now its getting cold and DARK FAST!

5'7", 165, I fly it like 280. Any nor cal juniors out there, we should play.

66004[/snapback]

Yeh you can play all year...in good weather when we play here in PA now its getting cold and DARK FAST!

66062[/snapback]

gosh what moron created day lights saving, because its not saving me any light. gets darker and colder an hour early. that just kills me

Nice thread going here. I believe that some of the kids today can drive it out over 300 yards. By looking at Goose's swing, I feel certain he can pound it out there. He has a big shoulder turn with minimum hip turn which is creating a huge amount of torque. By seeing just the top of his back swing and follow thru, I feel pretty confident that he can hit 300 yard bombs. Keep up the hard work and play well everyone and your dreams will happen.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

ive been hitting it well latley. i love hitting by people. im usually hitting it right around 280 yardsand keepin it in play. i like being able to go after it and bomb one what i need/want to. A few weeks ago in a tournament,

par 5, 551 yds flat no noteable elevation change. had 200yds in. i love doing that.

15years old 5'11 185

9 handicap

65609[/snapback]

6'0 180 (4.4 speed lol jk) numbers from titleist launch moniter: swing speed: 127 ball speed: 185

total yardage is so hard to gauge, every hole is different with the wind and how you hit it, uphill and downhill. All i know is that from playing ajga events around the country, i can only think of a few kids that could consistently pump it past me fwiw. One being the ajga player of the year.

You guys will think I am joking so im hesitating on telling you this but there is this kid from the same state as where i live and he is a phenom. It is wierd he doesnt play ajga events but was just named the state's best junior and mens player in the same year. Well i have seen his numbers on the launch moniter and his swing speed reaches over 140 mph. He is an absolute freak of nature. Everyone knows about him and has had big write ups in the paper this year. He just signed with texas A&M btw and has a very bright future. Its a thing of beauty to see him hit a golf ball. His average drive is probably in the 340 range and YES HE CAN OUTDRIVE all the profesionals, you can take that to the bank. Great humble kid and it helps to be 6'3 and about 175 pounds.

I average about 315 - 325.  I am 6' 1" 135 lbs and I am 15 years old.  I can really move the ball and my longest drive ever came in around 440 ish.  I take great pride in driving where I am long and straight and in putting.  Those are the best parts of my game so I should be well off after I fix the irons and wedges.  Oh and I get mabey 5 - 10 yards roll max on my drives.

65456[/snapback]

Are you joking? so you hit it further than Tiger , Jd, i dont think so i think you need to be a bit more honest with yourself my friend, i aint tryin to dis you or anythin but i find that really hard to believe especially when your only 15!!

I average about 315 - 325.  I am 6' 1" 135 lbs and I am 15 years old.   I can really move the ball and my longest drive ever came in around 440 ish.  I take great pride in driving where I am long and straight and in putting.  Those are the best parts of my game so I should be well off after I fix the irons and wedges.  Oh and I get mabey 5 - 10 yards roll max on my drives.

65456[/snapback]

Are you joking? so you hit it further than Tiger , Jd, i dont think so i think you need to be a bit more honest with yourself my friend, i aint tryin to dis you or anythin but i find that really hard to believe especially when your only 15!!

70047[/snapback]

We dont need to be criticizing people for what they say they hit the ball...for all we know it may be true.... I played in a ryder cup formant event this year that put the north or new jersey vs. the south counties of NJ. and i played their number one guys in the afternoon singles matches and he absolutely beat of the ball he was flying it 330 on average. he was a solid 20-30 yds past me all day. even though it was match play the official following out group kept our score and from 7200yds. we shot dueling 70's to halve the match. It was one of the most unbelievable experiences of my golfing life know that I had an 8 fooer downhil right to left on the 18th green par 5 620. to clinch the cup for my team. truely an experience i remember every day.

(I made the putt)

DaN "goose" :help: :tongue:

I average about 315 - 325.  I am 6' 1" 135 lbs and I am 15 years old.   I can really move the ball and my longest drive ever came in around 440 ish.  I take great pride in driving where I am long and straight and in putting.  Those are the best parts of my game so I should be well off after I fix the irons and wedges.  Oh and I get mabey 5 - 10 yards roll max on my drives.

65456[/snapback]

70047[/snapback]

Try playing in the Desert at about 2000 feet. Little roll but lots of carry my friend. Thin air really helps. to put in perspective,I play down on Sea Brook Island in South Carolina at my grandma's house and I average about 290-310 there. If I go at on I can get it out there a long ways. Average ss is in the 125- 130 range but I can get a little more if I want to.

P.S. The key is leverage not strength.