2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Epon vs Miura

oukk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On looks alone, I like Fourteen. They have a couple new cb's out that look great.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 1 month later...

I've owned the Miura CB-301 and CB-202 this season, as well as recently purchased Epon AF-301.

I prefer the satin finish of the Miura irons. They are very durable and clean. The Epon's stock finish is a satin/mirror finish, but you have a choice of finish if you want fully customized irons.

Both irons are soft, but the Miura provided me with more direct feedback. I've tried Miura's in different shafts, and the soft, but solid feel was consistent. I've had to cycle through different shafts to achieve a satisfactory feel from my AF-301's (tried Black Gold, Wishon Series 5, Dynamic Gold S200 and GS75 steel).

Miura's have less offset, if that matters to you. It's very important to me, and I had to adjust to the amount of offset in the AF-301's. It was not an adjustment I expected to make.

Feel: Miura
Appearance: Tie
Options: Epon (Better customization, i.e. sole engraving, finish options, etc.)
Playability: Miura
Durability: Miura

Personally, the Miura's were a better overall purchase for me, which proved itself on the course. The Epon's are a lesson learned, a rather expensive one in my case.

Brian

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

I am playing the Miura CB202's this year with TT Tour Concept ( satin finished ) shafts. What a combination.
The feel on this combo is excellent. I do have the comparison of this same set shafted with the Black Gold and that was NOT bad.... but the TC shaft seems to be really made for this head for me. I love these irons.
They have the great combination of feel and durability with just the right amount of feedback.

I have only seen the Epons in some photos so I have little to compare. I stand by the Miura irons.

I've hit almost all of the Miura line, a few of the new Fourteens (TC-1000, 550 and the older 770), and an Epon that was in the same class as a Miura CB202 and I'd have to say that may favourites were the TC-1000 and the Miura CB202. All great irons, but I would probably go with the Fourteen TC-1000s at this point because I found they launched a bit lower than the other offerings.

in my opnion, miura is alot better than epon. he is the best at forging. and is the most well known in japan that's why he can charge ¥300,000 for a set and people will buy it.

You may very well be right, Carl - but what kind of surprises me is that Miura is not that well respected in Asia, compared to the legendary status he has in the US and Europe - maybe because of the two piece fusion welded forgings he uses.......

I love the clean look and direct feel of the Miura irons, and also plan on buying a set of Epon irons for the upcoming summer season.......sighhh......6 months to go black%20eye.gif

Thanks,

Claus

[quote name='autisticlove' post='804871' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:53 AM']I've hit almost all of the Miura line, a few of the new Fourteens (TC-1000, 550 and the older 770), and an Epon that was in the same class as a Miura CB202 and I'd have to say that may favourites were the TC-1000 and the Miura CB202. All great irons, but I would probably go with the Fourteen TC-1000s at this point because I found they launched a bit lower than the other offerings.[/quote]

Only problem for me with the great Fourteen irons is their thick top line - even in the players edition of their irons, they have a pretty thick top line compared to the Miura Cb-202 irons. Didn't this top line made you think twice about the Fourteen irons (even though the Fourteen TC-1000 may be the softest feeling irons on the face of the earth, forged by Endo) ?

IMO, Epon has every right to claim they are the epitome of forgings.

They certainly are the best at making the tools and dyes - I hear Muira has Endo do their tooling, though I could be wrong.

Being the manufacturers for S-Yard, Yamaha, Mizuno (mx, jpx), Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone + Tourstage, Honma + Beres, Kasco, Prgr, Titelist, Nike... any others?!...would make them fairly proficient in sourcing the best materials aswell. The head of Endo (Kobayashi-san) uses the analogy of "keeping the best rice for themselves" when he describes their commitment and the quality of materials assigned to Epon (The area where Endo is from is famous for rice growing ...)
Not a knock on Muira at all. Very clean player's irons IMO. Superb quality. Just a notch down from Epon!
;)

I recently sold my Miura CB1006's which is the US equivalent of the CB202's in favor of the Epons.

So many manufacturers and designs exist because we all like something a bit different. Perception cannot be matched from person to person.

I demand a custom made/fit club. Epon has been phenomenal producing and delivering
my exact requests and specifications. The US oem's have failed miserably time and time again.

[u]For me[/u], for many reasons, the Epons are the best overall clubs on the Planet.

in my opnion, miura is alot better than epon. he is the best at forging. and is the most well known in japan that's why he can charge ¥300,000 for a set and people will buy it.

You may very well be right, Carl - but what kind of surprises me is that Miura is not that well respected in Asia, compared to the legendary status he has in the US and Europe - maybe because of the two piece fusion welded forgings he uses.......

I love the clean look and direct feel of the Miura irons, and also plan on buying a set of Epon irons for the upcoming summer season.......sighhh......6 months to go black%20eye.gif

Thanks,

Claus

claus,

in japan everyone knows the miura brand and only a few people knows about the epon brand.

this is NOT to take anything away from eopn. this was my personal opinion only...

I stopped by Morton Golf (sponsor) and they have Fourteen wedges. They look great, but I didn't know much about them at the time, so I didn't give them too much thought. Knowing now what I do about them they deserve some demo time. Great looking stuff and the Morton staff really likes them.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Hey all -

[size=4][b]Epon is Endo![/b][/size] It is the retail division of Endo.

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

Thanks,

Claus

claus,

in japan everyone knows the miura brand and only a few people knows about the epon brand.

this is NOT to take anything away from eopn. this was my personal opinion only...

Carl, I didn't say Miura wasn't very well known in Japan. Just stated the fact that his use of two piece forgings/spin fusion welded hosels has somewhat smeared his reputation a bit. And just for the record - you won't find many golfers in the world, who love Miura players CB irons more than I do.

I know the Epon brand is a niche brand only for the few golf club HO's who are into JDM gear........like you and me and some other guys in here ;)

[quote name='ali_g' post='805091' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:16 AM']IMO, Epon has every right to claim they are the epitome of forgings.

They certainly are the best at making the tools and dyes - I hear Muira has Endo do their tooling, though I could be wrong.

Being the manufacturers for S-Yard, Yamaha, [color="#ff0000"]Mizuno (mx, jpx)[/color], Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone + Tourstage, Honma + Beres, Kasco, Prgr, Titelist, Nike... any others?!...would make them fairly proficient in sourcing the best materials aswell. The head of Endo (Kobayashi-san) uses the analogy of "keeping the best rice for themselves" when he describes their commitment and the quality of materials assigned to Epon (The area where Endo is from is famous for rice growing ...)
Not a knock on Muira at all. Very clean player's irons IMO. Superb quality. Just a notch down from Epon!
;)[/quote]
[color="#ff0000"]Don't know how many times I've said this, but... No one make Miz forgings but Miz. NO ONE!!!!! People have got to quit being daft!

[/color] [quote name='18th Legion' post='805499' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:07 AM']Hey all -

[size=4][b]Epon is Endo![/b][/size] It is the retail division of Endo.[/quote]
You just come out of the dark?! You make the statement like no one here knew that. Talk about old news! And it is not the "Retail" division as you claim. It is the manufacturing side for their own line of irons. Not retail! MANUFACTURER!

A lot of great JP irons out there. But I've got to give it to PRGR. If I was told to buy what I like the TR 900's would be bagged!!!

[quote name='18th Legion' post='805499' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:07 PM']Hey all -

[size=4][b]Epon is Endo![/b][/size] It is the retail division of Endo.[/quote]

We know that very well (most of us anyway) - but as Endo also forges Titleist and Bridsgestone irons and several other irons - it's important to stress that Epon is the Premium Royal High End brand from Endo. Endo has tried to launch the Epon brand as the ultimate you can get in forged soft S20carbon steel feel and soft finish.

A lot of the Titleist irons, Endoi has forged, feel clicky and harsh in my view - due to reasons I can only guess.........maybe the finish is not made by Endo, but only the forgings, maybe the forgings is not made in the same high quality as Endo clearly is capable of......who knows......

Epon is the best Endo is capable of doing - design wise (although they are NOT for scratch players who prefer a blade razor sharp top line and ZERO offset) and forgings wise.

Never heard of a golf company called Fourteen until early September of this year. Was at the range hittin some balls and noticed some great looking ;) irons in fellas bag next to me. Asked him if I could try them out, wow was I in for a surprise! Not only they're great pleasure to the eyes but they also felt great. Only one problem, can't afford them!

TM M3 Tensei Blue
TM P790 2i & 3i Steelfiber
Titleist AP3 4 - 48' Project X LZ
Titleist SM4 52' & 56' DG
Scotty Cameron Select, Newport 2

Ok, I haven't hit any of the offerings from Epon. I have hit the Fourteen Proto blades and they were some of the best blades I've ever played. I've hit Miura MC 101's, a cavity offering and found all the references to butter feel and quality to be very true, a standard that is on another level. HOWEVER, I am expecting a package in a day or 2 that contains a set of Vega Blades. If I'm not mistaken these are from the same forging house that Carl ( the wedge guru) is using, Kyoei Forging House. I'm hoping that they are as pure as I expect them to be and will post a review. The other offering from Japan that I like and have in the bag, though not a Japanese company they are forged in Japan... Scratch. If you're asking what I think is the best product out of Japan, I would put this very, very high on the list, ahead of the Fourteens for sure which are hard to top.

[quote name='ClubHoUno' post='805075' date='Nov 28 2007, 03:12 AM'][quote name='autisticlove' post='804871' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:53 AM']I've hit almost all of the Miura line, a few of the new Fourteens (TC-1000, 550 and the older 770), and an Epon that was in the same class as a Miura CB202 and I'd have to say that may favourites were the TC-1000 and the Miura CB202. All great irons, but I would probably go with the Fourteen TC-1000s at this point because I found they launched a bit lower than the other offerings.[/quote]

Only problem for me with the great Fourteen irons is their thick top line - even in the players edition of their irons, they have a pretty thick top line compared to the Miura Cb-202 irons. Didn't this top line made you think twice about the Fourteen irons (even though the Fourteen TC-1000 may be the softest feeling irons on the face of the earth, forged by Endo) ?
[/quote]

To be honest, the thicker top line doesn't bother me at all. I've played blades forever, but they've got great feel and look smooth as well and I don't hit the ball with the top line ;). Fourteen's get my vote!

[quote]Don't know how many times I've said this, but... No one make Miz forgings but Miz. NO ONE!!!!! People have got to quit being daft![/quote]

Hey Ramizumo.....chill brotha...
I have seen them been made with my [b]own eyes[/b]. I was a guest of Endo when I visited their foundry in Thailand in June. I deliberately said the MX and JPX lines so people wouldn't get on their high horses. like you so quickly did..yes, yes, Mizuno makes their own MP series yadayaddayadda, but does not have the capabilities to make the sharp tooling as well as Endo does...Endo makes just about any quality forged iron that requires a complicated cavity. It is easier to say that the only forgings Endo doesn't make are TaylorMade...don't know why, and the big boss Kobayashi-san wouldn;t tell me....

Thanks,

Claus

claus,

Carl, I didn't say Miura wasn't very well known in Japan. Just stated the fact that his use of two piece forgings/spin fusion welded hosels has somewhat smeared his reputation a bit. And just for the record - you won't find many golfers in the world, who love Miura players CB irons more than I do.

I know the Epon brand is a niche brand only for the few golf club HO's who are into JDM gear........like you and me and some other guys in here ;)

club ho uno,

my bad.so sorry. but ya, that spin weld hosel is a shocker though. peace.

Guys here is my take. i agree with ali_g Endo is king. many recognize endo as the creme dela creme in forged offereings. they are the best in this aspect imho that is why all the best brands run to them to make their irons. Its taken decades for endo to gain this respect and following. now with this vast knowledge and resources at their disposal Endo comes out with their own home flagship brand. It certainly follows that what they will come up with will be something special and a cut above the rest.

it is also interesting to note that endo has a club design, research and development facility catered to just designing clubs. to add more they have their own testing facility. they employ over 100 cad engineers just for the design aspect of their oem clubs. these guys now what they are doing.

so you add the design know how and couple it with the manufacturing and forging expertise is that you come out with a superior product. It only makes sense that the home brand would be special.

now you cant please everybody and others may disagree but tis is just my take.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

I agree Spoon. Endo's expertise and experience ensures that Epon can arguably claim to be the very best there is. I certainly think so.

Endo gives the absolute best materials and tooling at their disposal for Epon - plus they do not put any time restrictions on their manufacturing processes. Every other brand they make for has certain time limitations for every step of manufacturing. Not Epon. I've been lucky enough to witness it first hand. Very impressive.

;)