Epon vs Miura

oukk

[quote name='ramizuno13' post='805535' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:37 PM'][/color] [quote name='18th Legion' post='805499' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:07 AM']Hey all -

[size=4][b]Epon is Endo![/b][/size] It is the retail division of Endo.[/quote]
You just come out of the dark?! You make the statement like no one here knew that. Talk about old news! And it is not the "Retail" division as you claim. It is the manufacturing side for their own line of irons. Not retail! MANUFACTURER!

A lot of great JP irons out there. But I've got to give it to PRGR. If I was told to buy what I like the TR 900's would be bagged!!!
[/quote]

Sorry my mistake. I could have sworn I read a post where someone thought Endo was different. Maybe confused with another thread. It is considered part of the Retail Industry as though combined, they are selling their own brand. Endo is pure manufacturing as they produce their Epon Brand and others. The Epon Brand Division then, buys the manufactured club from Endo and sells to a distributor. By Buy, I mean, it is off Endo's books and onto Epon's with an actual profit. That is just how it is run. My apologies if the use of the word "Retail" threw you into a fit.

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='18th Legion' post='806814' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:41 AM'][quote name='ramizuno13' post='805535' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:37 PM'][/color] [quote name='18th Legion' post='805499' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:07 AM']Hey all -

[size=4][b]Epon is Endo![/b][/size] It is the retail division of Endo.[/quote]
You just come out of the dark?! You make the statement like no one here knew that. Talk about old news! And it is not the "Retail" division as you claim. It is the manufacturing side for their own line of irons. Not retail! MANUFACTURER!

A lot of great JP irons out there. But I've got to give it to PRGR. If I was told to buy what I like the TR 900's would be bagged!!!
[/quote]

Sorry my mistake. I could have sworn I read a post where someone thought Endo was different. Maybe confused with another thread. It is considered part of the Retail Industry as though combined, they are selling their own brand. Endo is pure manufacturing as they produce their Epon Brand and others. The Epon Brand Division then, buys the manufactured club from Endo and sells to a distributor. By Buy, I mean, it is off Endo's books and onto Epon's with an actual profit. That is just how it is run. My apologies if the use of the word "Retail" threw you into a fit.
[/quote]
Didn't throw me into a fit. But this sort of mis-information can lead to wasteful threads. And by the looks of your sig, you are in the biz. Hence every word you say is taken with higher authority. Part of being in the biz is being responsible to the consumer.
And by the way. Epon(Endo) is the distributor also. SOP for a JP company. Really should have a look into that before spouting sarcasm! ;)
You must also know that "retail" is sales to end-user only. Distribution and wholesale are not and as such are not lumped into the same catagory from a layman's prespective. Your analgoy makes it sound like companies like Titleist, Mizuno, etc. are retailers. And they are most centainly not.

[color="#ff0000"]
Who am I?
A wholesaler who used to be a retailer. Changing one customer at a time.[/color] ;)

• 1 month later...

What about the Gold´s Factory irons. The only one I know about (in production) that even has a copper underlayer for increased feel. The flatback especielly - at least in pictures - also looks incedibly beautiful.

flatbackiron_img.jpg

I know Honma also used to have copper underlay back in the days, and Titleist had it in the 660´s I think. But being a leftie no has been available for me ;) . Btw is that still true or is there anyone with such a construction for me too??

Miura gets my vote. From the tournament blades that I just sold to my current set of Miura forged On-Off 247 tours. Softest clubs I have hit with such a sweet thin topline. I don't think anything can beat the On Offs, but that is what I tought about the tournament blades. Oh to be a club Ho.

Who cares about the spin welded hosels? They still feel oh so good and perform like a premium set should. And with the right paintfill (see avatar) are as pretty a club as there will ever be.

[quote name='sd2902' post='863010' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:43 AM']Vega irons and wedges

not tried muira but against
titleist and ping they win hands down

look a lot like tit704 cbs at address but much better feel

and the wedges look similar to my old vokeys but play much sharper

i am using project x in them the old project with satin finnish[/quote]

The Vega's look very sweet but pretty damned expensive! I got a set of MB's used when no one knew what they were and they've just been sitting in a corner collecting dust. I think I'll have them re-shafted with TT-TC's and toss them into play rotation. Right now they've got TX-90's but they feel like an X-flex.

Does the Vega folks put out Yururi's raw offerings? They look incredibly similar.

[quote name='1-PUTT-WONDER' post='863276' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:19 AM'][quote name='sd2902' post='863010' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:43 AM']Vega irons and wedges

not tried muira but against
titleist and ping they win hands down

look a lot like tit704 cbs at address but much better feel

and the wedges look similar to my old vokeys but play much sharper

i am using project x in them the old project with satin finnish[/quote]

The Vega's look very sweet but pretty damned expensive! I got a set of MB's used when no one knew what they were and they've just been sitting in a corner collecting dust. I think I'll have them re-shafted with TT-TC's and toss them into play rotation. Right now they've got TX-90's but they feel like an X-flex.

Does the Vega folks put out Yururi's raw offerings? They look incredibly similar.
[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, Vega is Kyoei's in house design arm. I am also pretty sure that the Yururis are forged at Kyoei. Tourspec stated that these were the same irons.

i absolutely adore my miura tournament blades...they just knocked out my srixon 701 tours...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

• 3 weeks later...
Epon- Tour Spec ( brand name for their company)

Miura- good only when you have Millions to spend on tour product for PGA Players

Kyoei- AKA Vega The best I have seen out out Japan in yrs. So Good KZG Copied they "Forging Process" for their own web page. Take a look at that! and then go to www.kyoeigolf.co.jp

What do you mean Epon=Tour Spec? I know that Tour Spec sells Epon online in a big way but are you saying they own the brand Epon. Epon is a retail brand of Endo Manufacturing, right?

As far as I know, Kyoei has been forging KZG blades and CB irons for years. I did not realize that KZG owns any forging foundry. Besides KZG and Vega, I think Kyoei also forges the new Yururi blades

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who has owned, or at least played with most of the top JDM brands, I feel that I am reasonably well qualified to comment on this thread! There seems to be some confusion with regard to Epon/Endo and their relationship. Endo is the manufacturing company with forging plants in Japan, Thailand and China, they produce high end forgings for many OEM's. The Epon brand is their own retail offering and is exclusively forged in their Japanese plant using only the best raw materials and the top craftsmen.

Miura is much smaller than Endo, but he is a master craftsman and still oversees production and particularly finishing/grinding of his products in their Japanese plant, Miura has recently opened an additional forging facility in Thailand to deal with the demand from the US and Europe one supposes!

My own personal preference is for Miura, there is something so special about them, no other club plays the same, and even though I prefer my epon wedges to my miura wedges, there is nothing on earth that can touch my MB5003 blades, they are the softest, sweetest clubs that I have ever used in over 30 years of playing this game. For me, the shaft is very important, Miura's seem to be at there best when fitted with Nippon NS Pro Tour 1150's, the combination is silky smooth!

Which is best - neither, both, plus many other great brands, its what you feel comfortable with - for me there is nothing that feels as good as a Miura, I curently own two sets, MB5003 blades and CB1006 players cavity backs, plus Epon AF301, Tourstage X - Blade CB and PRGR T900,(Plus Adams, Hogan, Callaway, Cobra and a couple of other sets all of which are gathering dust in the garage!) yes I am a collector/ho/madman why!

Does anyone know where Fourteen forges their irons?

Starting to like my Forged TB1000s. First time I've played blades in 8 years. I actually scored my best 2 rounds of the year (I've played about 18-20xs so far this year) with them. The feel is different from other forgings. I can find others softer (original Xblades and MR23s come to mind), but they also seem a lot more durable.

I might not even break the Pro100s out of the box they came in.

• 4 months later...

I have demoed both brands irons side by side. I truly think both make irons of premium quality. Buy either brand, and you will have no regret......I eventually bought the Epon AF-301 with Shimada shafts.

The AF-301 irons look beautiful and impact feel is just pure bliss, good feedback, soft , and buttery.............simply cannot be equalled. These irons make golf practice at driving range sheer happyiness and joy. :man_in_love:

• 2 months later...

Miura hosels are made slightly smaller and require some drilling for perfect fit. Any qualified clubmakers with a proper drill and titanium drill bit (expensive) should have no problem with Miura heads at all. I will have to disagree with the comment that Miura could not afford the tooling; that assumption is unfounded. Miura produces quite a number of OEMs including Taylor Made and custom sets for top PGA professionals, it should be financially sound. Also, about the tolerances, I have talked to several club makers, not a single one, including a club maker who is an Epon distributor in my country, dare to claim that Epon heads are more weight accurate than Miura. Actually, it is the opposite. Also, the reason Miura's designs have not changed much is because the golf iron head technology has reached its plateau. To make it more forgiving, you have to sacrifice feels. To enhance feels, you have to sacrifice forgiveness. I do not see any iron heads, Miura, Epon, Mizuno, or Callaway, that can really breakthrough this basic law. Irons heads with proper shafts, good alignment at address, and good feel when swung and at impact will help enhance your performance. Although feel is subjective, most people would say that Miura provides a very soft yet very solid feel. Epon also provides very solid feel, but the ball seems to leave the face faster with a clicking feel.

• 2 months later...
Also, the reason Miura's designs have not changed much is because the golf iron head technology has reached its plateau. To make it more forgiving, you have to sacrifice feels. To enhance feels, you have to sacrifice forgiveness. I do not see any iron heads, Miura, Epon, Mizuno, or Callaway, that can really breakthrough this basic law. Irons heads with proper shafts, good alignment at address, and good feel when swung and at impact will help enhance your performance. Although feel is subjective, most people would say that Miura provides a very soft yet very solid feel. Epon also provides very solid feel, but the ball seems to leave the face faster with a clicking feel.

A great summary - imho.

If you want more technology (forgiveness) in certain models of the iron head (501, 701), but less of a soft feel (although it will be excellent), try Epon.

If you want soft yet dense, and solid - try CB 202s, if you want solid and soft, try CB 301's, both from Miura.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Epon's website lists TourSpecGolf as its only US distributor. I live in the Southeast and want to demo Epon 301's prior to purchase. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get my hands on a demo club?

If you want to try Epon's out and you live in the southeast check out Victory Custom Golf out of South Carolina.

http://www.victorycustomgolf.com/namebrand/epon.aspx

Here is a pic of my custom Epon's shafted with KB's and white IoMic grips.