2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question to the Macgregor club owners out there!! I'm about to pick up a set of 5-PW from one of the sponsors on the board.

I'm going with the Gunmetal and originally planned on going 5-PW in the Musclebacks.

I'm now considering going with 5-6 Cavity and the rest muscleback. I just want to make sure that the cavity back is similar in shape to the blade and i'm not going to see too much difference as I like a pretty seamless iron set.

Any input would be greatly appreciated lads. Thanks!

Went to Edwinn Watts last week to check out the Macs and their is not much difference at address between the two. It looks pretty seamless going from the cavity 6 iron to the blade 7 iron. I ordered the 5,6 cavity and 7-pw blade in gun metal and hopefully they will get here this week. I will post some pictures when I get them. Also I ordered the Nippon shafts for them.

You definitely will not see a difference at all in the shape, or size. IMO the combo set would probably be the best choice out there going with a Pro C, Pro M combo because the heads are almost exactly the same heads. In fact, I'm almost positive that MacGregor says the are the same exact heads , except of the cavity back on the C's. I looked at each set next to each other and there really is no difference in the heads. If there is, even the best trained eye couldn't tell.

After months of reading this thread I finally got my Pro-Ms this morning.. only problem was they forgot to send them to custom fit!! noooo.. so I got a std set. Which they are going to be collecting from me. They came with DG S300 Superlights.. which i found a little odd.. I am in europe and this is the set up they are being sent from the US apparently... What I can say is that they are as amazing to look at in hand as they are in the pictures, really set up beautifully behind the ball.. very similar to the MP-33s at address... The craftsmanship of the sole is amazing, really has to be seen.. even thought they are super thin they are beautifully contoured... I carefully hit a couple of little chips across the carpet with the PW.. and even thought they were still in the plastic the feel is incredible.. very very similar to the feel a VOKEY wedge in my mind.. soft solid.. Will give them a full review once I have the correct set!! Took the opportunity to change my order to the gunmetal second time around.. :cheesy:

"The craftsmanship of the sole is amazing, really has to be seen.. even thought they are super thin they are beautifully contoured.."

That is one of the areas that make this line of irons stand out from other production irons. The sole grind really seems like they were designed by someone who knows how an iron interacts with the turf - which they were, Don White!

I just checked out the new MacGregor line as measured by GolfWorks and available on ralphmaltby.com. I noticed that almost all of the new line has a very high vertical center of gravity.

They are as follows (measured in inches):

MT - .893

MT Pro M - .859

MT Pro C - .850

MT OS - .927

I suspect that some of the VCoG's for the 2008 irons are erroneous. For example, ralphmaltby.com lists the VCoG for the Maltby MPC forged irons as 0.748". In contrast, the Golfworks master catalog lists the VCoG for the same MPC irons as 0.697". So I'm not sure what's up with the VCoG's for the MacGregor irons, but I can say they certainly don't play that way. I demo'd a 4-iron in the MT-C and MT-Mid and had no issues getting the ball airborne.

I just checked out the new MacGregor line as measured by GolfWorks and available on ralphmaltby.com. I noticed that almost all of the new line has a very high vertical center of gravity.

They are as follows (measured in inches):

MT - .893

MT Pro M - .859

MT Pro C - .850

MT OS - .927

I suspect that some of the VCoG's for the 2008 irons are erroneous. For example, ralphmaltby.com lists the VCoG for the Maltby MPC forged irons as 0.748". In contrast, the Golfworks master's catalog lists the VCoG for the same MPC irons as 0.697". So I'm not sure what's up with the VCoG's for the MacGregor irons, but I can say they certainly don't play that way. I demo'd a 4-iron in the MT-C and MT-Mid and had no issues getting the ball airborne.

I agree. Before I decided to order a set, I wanted to hit a 3 iron to make sure it would not be too much club for me. I had demo'd the 7 iron but that wasn't enough of a test for me. The 3 iron was very easy to elevate, with a nice boring trajectory. It exceeded my expectations.

Would love to see some playability comments. Have heard that these are among the most demanding player CB's out there, but have also heard some opinions that it isn't the case. I played Apex PC's with Apex 5 shafts back in the 80's, so I've played demanding irons...just a little nervous about these given that there are so many "playable" options out there.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Would love to see some playability comments. Have heard that these are among the most demanding player CB's out there, but have also heard some opinions that it isn't the case. I played Apex PC's with Apex 5 shafts back in the 80's, so I've played demanding irons...just a little nervous about these given that there are so many "playable" options out there.

That was my concern initially. I play MP 60's and they are equally, if not more forgiving, than the 60's. I'll go out on a limb and say that I think they are equally forgiving to the MP57's that I demo'd also. I was concerned when I first picked up the the 3 iron, because it does not have much visible offset and thought, "OK, this is where the party ends." To my surprise, the 3 iron might be one of the easiest long irons that I have hit in a players-level iron. A very good boring trajectory, but not too low. If a player reads the ratings from the Maltby Playability Rating, etc or has concerns about the high COG, they may not even try these. That would be a shame, because they are the real deal and certainly can be handled by someone with decent or better ballstriking ability. (If you can handle the Adams Idea Pro's, I believe you would have no problem with these and may even find them more forgiving.)

That was my concern initially. I play MP 60's and they are equally, if not more forgiving, than the 60's. I'll go out on a limb and say that I think they are equally forgiving to the MP57's that I demo'd also. I was concerned when I first picked up the the 3 iron, because it does not have much visible offset and thought, "OK, this is where the party ends." To my surprise, the 3 iron might be one of the easiest long irons that I have hit in a players-level iron. A very good boring trajectory, but not too low. If a player reads the ratings from the Maltby Playability Rating, etc or has concerns about the high COG, they may not even try these. That would be a shame, because they are the real deal and certainly can be handled by someone with decent or better ballstriking ability. (If you can handle the Adams Idea Pro's, I believe you would have no problem with these and may even find them more forgiving.)

It would be a shame for any good player, or aspiring player (myself) to not give these irons a shot. Personally, while I was hitting the MP 60 quite nicely, I had some issues with the 57. Sounds strange, but honestly, that is the truth. I found the Pro C's and the Pro M (in the 7 iron) easy to hit, just as easy as the DCI 981's they will be replacing, but with a load more feel--as if the ball wasn't even struck when you hit the sweet spot. The only other iron that I liked nearly as much as the Mac Pro C was the Cobra Pro CB.

And you know what the difference for me between the two is? Customer service. The local Mac rep (JT Holsman) has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with, and has sealed the deal for my irons/wedges based on his service/concern alone.

Altough, I'm still not sure which shaft I'm going to be playing in my irons or wedges (DG S300, Nippon 1150, or PX 6.0). Decisions, decisions.

Who's know the bouce and offset of each iron of MT-PRO M and C model? I'd like to compare with those from Titleist

Anyone? Thanks

I have not been able to find the offset numbers, even after emailing CS (never heard back). I have seen face progression for the irons, which seems to me to be the inverse of offset, so comparisons are not possible.

Reid, if you read this thread, any chance of getting offset numbers?

About to head out to dinner, but I thought I would give some quick playability comments now that I have put 5 rounds of golf on my custom DWs. Two rounds were in the Bay Area and three in La Quinta so there is plenty of variety in conditions.

The Pro CMs are the purest iron I have ever hit. When I took some swings at the PGA Show in Orlando I had not played for weeks and was off form. So when I saw how small they were I started wondering what have I got myself into...I might set my game back two years (my custom order had already been placed). When I got the irons a couple of weeks ago I was still wondering if I am making a big mistake going against the industry trends like R7 CGBs, Nike Slingshots and the like. But forward I went, swapped the Cally X Forged out of the bag and now 5 rounds later, I am very happy.

Are the irons demanding? Yes and No. Having the right shaft is going to make all the difference. If I had S300s in them, I probably wouldn't be as happy. But with the Tour Concepts which have better kick points for my swing, these irons are quite manageable - even the 3 iron. The irons are not forgiving, how could they be? They are too small. But so what. It just makes me focus more and really concentrate on tempo. The results are I have been playing my best golf in a long time (of course, hitting great tee shots helps too).

I am keeping the 3 iron in the bag instead of going with a hybrid, but putting a hybrid in the bag instead of a 5W. I am going to be quite happy for a long time.

Hey Gang, today I went to what is Las Vegas’ largest outside Demo Day held at Silverstone Golf Clubin the north of Las Vegas. If you are in Vegas on Sunday, April 6th, you need to make it out that way. Most companies were represented, and I must admit, I was most excited to try out the new MacGregor line up for the first time.

A side note: Las Vegas may have some great golf courses, but they have horrible golf shops. Selection is limited, as in no MacGregor . . . yet.

Back to my experience. As a recreational player, I often feel intimidated by the reps that are also club pros, scratch players, and so on. So much so, I sometimes walk away without really getting the feel for a particular club and therefore haven’t learned anything I wanted to know.

I started at one end of the line and worked my way down. Finally, my eyes saw and hands felt the MacGregor MTs. I wanted to confirm what I already suspected, that these were going to be my new Irons. What I didn’t know was exactly . . . why?

Meet Rayl Evans. He is MacGregor’s Rep for the Southwest U.S. and Latin America. He talks, walks, and hits the clubs many years younger than his age. Meeting Rayl confirmed what many of us have wanted MacGregor to be. A true died-in-the-wool golf company. A company ran by golfers, built by golfers, and brought to you by golfers.

Rayl was a MacGregor Rep for I believe he said nine or ten years. He left MacGregor for a time when the direction of the equipment (see Barry Schneider) started to look like high tech JDM stuff. Well, Rayl is back. His belief in this equipment is like many of ours. These new clubs are exactly as described – modern classics. All the high-tech advances are worked into the club.

I had the opportunity to chat with Rayl and talk a little about MacGregor and the Golf Industry as a whole. I would hazard to guess that he has forgotten more about golf than many of us have ever learned.

While some of you are upset that MacGregor isn’t going to go into some of the “Big Box” outlets, take the time to understand why. Take a look at what MacGregor is building.

• How many companies will do custom grinds for consumers?
  • How many companies are protecting smaller shops and Green Grass accounts?
  • How many companies are putting this kind of quality into their equipment?

Those of you who have held a Pro-M or Pro-C know. This is quality, accurate forging. You can see how the back of the Pro-C is milled, not just stamped. Again, not just the front of the iron, the back of the iron!

I am one of those people who like to know why I am drawn to certain things. Cars, guitars, clothes, and golf equipment. I like to take pride in my buying decisions. I have to like the product, it has to work for me, but I also want to like the company. What they stand for and what their mission is. Between Reid’s comments on this thread, the fact that I am a fan of Greg Norman, and Rayl’s energy and belief in what they are doing – I am convinced. It doesn’t hurt either that the MT is the smoothest and easiest Forged Iron I have ever hit. Yes I know, two piece to the Purest out there, but it is still forged.

For those mid to high handicaps, who want to get better, who doesn’t want every miss-hit masked, who doesn’t want to permanently groove their swing with a large offset, these are the ticket.

Since this subject has come up, I asked Rayl, what he thought of the Maltby Playability Factor. He boiled it down to two easy to understand words. “So what?” Does it really matter, if it looks good, feels good, and works well?

Now I am one to appreciate any and all of those who dedicate their time to research and measurement and so on. I may not always agree, but I respect what they are doing and defend their right to do it. I must say though, there was as much truth in those two words as I have heard in a long while. It is interesting information, but we can over think things before we ever get to the testing and trial stage.

I was also very amazed at the distance and accuracy I got from the MT Driver (Aldila DVS shaft). With its traditional head shape, I didn’t expect it. The sound was great, the feel, as well as the result.

I would be remiss if I also didn’t thank Rayl for what turned out to be a personal lesson. I think he just save me about a thousand dollars. In a short time he nailed some very basic and easy to understand things I was doing incorrect. It would have taken a half dozen lessons to get to that point.

In closing, I just have to reiterate. For those of who are tired of the short product cycles and the “throw it against the wall and see if it sticks” product of the larger OEMs, I strongly encourage all of you to take a look at MacGregor. These guys are in it for the long haul. Sure it will take some time to get the word out. But they are not interested in growth for the sake of growth. When you meet someone like Rayl, he can help you answer the question of “Why” . . . he did for me.

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

Well I played yesterday with these for the first time on course and they performed beautifully. ;)

The ball feels like it explodes off of the face. The sound and feel is incredible. I prefer both over my MP-33s. Conditions were wet and 45-50 degrees throughout the day. WINDY. Therefore I cannot comment on the distance of these clubs. I want hitting them anywhere near my 33s, but it was probably due to the conditions as I was hitting driver and 3 wood a good 10-15 yards less than normal due to cold/wind. Verified w/ skycaddie.

These clubs were a breeze to work with. Trajectory was easy to control. I generally work the ball left to right or straight and rarely hit a draw but for what I did I really had no problems at all. But I still cannot get over the trajectory control I had with these irons. Much much better than anything I ever did with my 33s, and this was my first round of the year.

I play with these guys all the time (its my league) And two of them after the round told me that it was a pleasure to watch me hit the variety of high and low shots that I hit. I had to give cred to the clubs. I always had a hell of a time keeping the 33s down. (Same shafts, S300)

I also feel like I had a much better temp with these throughout the round.

All in all, highly recommended. I have the Pro Ms with S300 +1.25" and 3 up.

I rarely hit a draw unless I 100% have to, generally because I am no good at it and lack confidence. But I was on 17 yesterday, left to right wind, long and narrow green. I took the 4i out and was looking at it, and said, damn i can draw this ball and hold it into the wind no problem. For whatever reason I look at these clubs and have immediate confidence to hit any shot. I actually hit the draw and it went right over the flag, although when I hit the wind shifted and the ball went 15 yards over the green, I still hit the shot I wanted. Just a but unlucky with the shift. I like the 3 but like my hybrid more so I'm leaving the 3i out.

I think these clubs inspire confidence standing over the ball.

Guys, it has been said before that the C and M is essentially identical, save for the cavity obviously. I'm fairly certain it was one of the MacGregor gentlemen themselves who said this. The irons are built to be a combo/mix...

the soles are where you will see the big difference...Much thinnner in the M....From address, they appear nearly identical....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

How's THIS for customer service........

I ordered a Bobby Grace Sunset putter and a MacGregor MT hybrid during a MacGregor demo day a few weeks ago here in Houston. The golf club I ordered them from asked to have the clubs drop shipped to my house. Well, the hybrid was shipped to the club that held the demo day, so they called the local rep (Marion) and told him about the mistake. Marion goes out to the club, picks up the hybrid, calls me at home and tells me he is on his way to MY HOUSE with the club!! Thirty minutes later, he pulls up in the driveway with my new 17* hybrid. WHAT SERVICE!! :good: (BTW - the club is 15 minutes from my house and I would have gladly gone by to get the club.)

After shooting the bull for a minute, I ask him about the putter and he said they have been delayed a few more weeks and that should ship to my house. Then he reaches in his car a pulls out a Sunset to show me. WOW!!! Watch out Scotty Cameron!!! This putter looks amazing. The finish is much darker that what is shown on the website, more of a smokey gray and compliments the multicolored insert nicely......and the weight is perfect! But wait to you feel the grip!! I thought that MacGregor was going to put on a Winn grip (which I HATE!)....but the grip is a VERY TACKY new grip from Golf Pride. Can't wait!!!! :cheesy: