NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Thanks for the Peninsula Golf recommendation...life-long Bay Area resident here and I had never heard of it. I don't go down to the Peninsula much anymore.

Β 

Just heard that MacGregor will be at a Demo Day at Boundary Oak in Walnut Creek next Sunday. Will give the Macs a good look then, if I don't get down to San Mateo before then.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ESΒ  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of the wedges as they seem to have more of a rounded shape than I like. That may be an area I would check into a custom grind if the set makes the cut...

Β 

Is this the case with the wedges...rounder toe than the irons (though the short irons pictured near the start of the thread look a bit rounder than the mid-long irons).

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ESΒ  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I do have a quick rant on Macgregor and to you Reid.

Β 

After speaking to your rep (inside) and discussing my carrying your line of equipment and seeing a very good and enticing program I took the cautious approach and decided to hold off on carrying your equipment. My hesitation was mainly based on lack of marketing on your part. I was informed by your rep that Mac did not restrict me from selling on eBay, but would hold me to MAP pricing - which was fine. Now however I see eBay sellers (Where I purchased a set of M's for less than what would have been my cost) selling for "buy it now" prices less than or very close to what each set was going to cost me! My cautious approach has seemed to save me ~$10k!

Β 

In summary Reid while I believe you have a very solid product you need representation from the local green grass PGA members. While Taylor Made regularly craps on their small accounts (a product I will never carry again - BTW) Macgregor cannot afford this practice if they are to be successful.

Β 

Macgregor - Great product, great sales line, poor execution.

Can you find another club manufacturer that doesn't have the same problem with ebay sales? Look at Titleist, which has a very strong online sales policy, it's no different. I just don't know how much Reid and Mac. can do to stop it, because it will happen regardless of what they do.

Β 

Β 

Β 

After speaking to your rep (inside) and discussing my carrying your line of equipment and seeing a very good and enticing program I took the cautious approach and decided to hold off on carrying your equipment. My hesitation was mainly based on lack of marketing on your part. I was informed by your rep that Mac did not restrict me from selling on eBay, but would hold me to MAP pricing - which was fine. Now however I see eBay sellers (Where I purchased a set of M's for less than what would have been my cost) selling for "buy it now" prices less than or very close to what each set was going to cost me! My cautious approach has seemed to save me ~$10k!

Β 

In summary Reid while I believe you have a very solid product you need representation from the local green grass PGA members. While Taylor Made regularly craps on their small accounts (a product I will never carry again - BTW) Macgregor cannot afford this practice if they are to be successful.

Β 

Serious question: How can a seller on ebay be selling brand new product at the same price or less than what a golf shop pays wholesale? Are these stolen clubs or do some accounts get mega-savings on wholesale prices?

Β 

Any number of ways, you have wholesale distributors that may have bought allot of sets in bulk to get a greater discount than a smaller store would be able to, and then they turn around and sell them to themselves through one of their own online stores through eBay at a lesser markup working mainly on volume.

Β 

Then again, they could of been stolen, or a set some one won.

Β 

There really are too many ways that this could happen, and there's sometimes nothing MacGregor can really do to prevent that, heck, you see PINGs selling on eBay for less than they retail for brand new, and as many here have griped about,l PING has one of the most strict MAP policies.

max - Exactly - there is not one manufacturer that doesn't have this issue.

Β 

RNF - If you own a small shop I would not think you would be competing for the golfer who would buy off eBay in the first place. Just make sure you don't sell those "M"s you bought off eBay as "new".

In fairness, I wouldn't say TM craps on small accounts, you simply have to come up with the 50,000.00 minimum order. Hey look . . . you just saved another 50K!

Β 

Let's say you do have a legitimate gripe, the fact that you are a shop owner and would air this question publicly tells me that Macgregor is better off without your money. There are some unwritten rules between manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers, and you have just broken a major one.

Keep it up and you'll be lucky to get a line of Intergra or Rams on your shelves.

Β 

Can you find another club manufacturer that doesn't have the same problem with ebay sales? Look at Titleist, which has a very strong online sales policy, it's no different. I just don't know how much Reid and Mac. can do to stop it, because it will happen regardless of what they do.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5Β  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

I believe the 1150 Stiff would be equal to the 5.5 rifle and

there is no good reason not to get the combos.

Β 

After spending a bit of time with both the Pro C and Pro M 9 iron today, I actually preferred the C over the M. I was considering with going with a mixed set, but I didn't see any shortcomings with the cavity back v the MB. Of course, it is personal opinion, but I preferred the feel and flight of the C over the M. In the short irons, forgiveness isn't really a factor for me, as I can as easily mis hit a blade as I can a CB :rolleyes:

Β 

Thanks for the replies...I know, there is no good reason. As to the combo set...it's just that the Ms are so pretty, it'd be a shame not to have at least a couple in the bag.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

So let me get this straight. Because there are a couple of guys on ebay who (I would assume) stole a couple of sets and threw them on Ebay for under cost, Mac should then turn around and tell their retailers it's ok to undercut all of their other accounts and do the same? What exactly were they supposed to tell you?

Β 

Also find me a manufacturer that doesn't have a problem with Ebay.

You do not need to purchase 3-pw. I have been told 5-pw was ok for a customer inquiry I had, but not certain if they will go to a 6-pw. The best thing is to contact your local store with the specific model and irons you want and they can get the specifics from their custom department. MacGregor has been an easy company to work with and the early feedback from those playing the club has been very positive.

EBAY EBAY EBAY!!!!! They drive me and other retailers crazy! I have been told "some" manufacturers buy from some of these auctions, find out which of their accounts they sold the clubs to and then discontinue selling to them. If this is the case, I wish more would do it and do it more often.

Also, don't assume the cheap stuff on ebay is the real thing - Why would an authorized retailer risk losing his account by selling a product at a cheap price so someone, he may not know, can save a few bucks on an auction site or online store? This would lead me to believe the clubs are counterfeit or stolen. I would not want to give my money to someone whose integrity is in question. In 2001 the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition estimated 1/3 of all branded goods sold on internet auction sites was counterfeit (Golf World Business Feb 2001). My guess is that percentage has increased.

EBAY EBAY EBAY!!!!! They drive me and other retailers crazy! I have been told "some" manufacturers buy from some of these auctions, find out which of their accounts they sold the clubs to and then discontinue selling to them. If this is the case, I wish more would do it and do it more often.

Also, don't assume the cheap stuff on ebay is the real thing - Why would an authorized retailer risk losing his account by selling a product at a cheap price so someone, he may not know, can save a few bucks on an auction site or online store? This would lead me to believe the clubs are counterfeit or stolen. I would not want to give my money to someone whose integrity is in question. In 2001 the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition estimated 1/3 of all branded goods sold on internet auction sites was counterfeit (Golf World Business Feb 2001). My guess is that percentage has increased.

Β 

Welcome to the joys of the free market.

Β 

Some times it's a matter of a company getting the buy offs from a store that closed, they bought out their stock at a steep discount and are unloading them on eBay.

Β 

I actually love eBay some times, it shows the true value of clubs, at least what people buying them feel is their value.

Β 

On the other hand, if retail stores offered better services and services maybe people would feel so inclined to shop online so much.

Β 

Instead of complaining that competition is killing you, offer the customers a service they feel is worth the extra 100 or so, I know that I can buy everything on eBay, but more often than not I'll go to Golferswarehouse because Dave there offers great service and knows what he's talking about.

Β 

None the less, instead of fighting it, find a way to make your customers loyal, once they feel that you're looking out for their best intrest, they'd rather spend their money with you.

Just a note on the outstanding customer service from MacGregor and Reid. I ordered a set of MT Pro CM's and there was going to be a little delay in getting them because of the shafts I ordered, so when I called talked to one of the inside sales guys about how long it would take, he had to check with production and called me back the same day with my answer. It was going to be several weeks because of the shaft company's inability to get them the shafts. I dropped a note to Reid about the delay last Sat. because we had emailed each other before, but not about my order. NOW here is where I get very impressed and honored to be dealing with MacGregor, on Easter Sunday I get an email from Reid asking me for a little info, which I send him. ON Monday I get a call from Reid who talks about all the testing they have done with shafts and what they found to work best with their equipment, so based on his guidance I changed to a different shaft. While we were on the phone I went ahead and added to my order two DW wedges, and I will be ordering the driver from them also just going to hit it first to decide loft and shaft [ Reid suggested also ].

Β 

Guys and Girls I did not need the wedges, I just bought 2 new wedges 5 weeks ago. He could have had anybody call me and it would have been just fine with me, But if the President of MacGregor Golf can go out of his way, way out of his way to help me the way he did then MacGregor Golf has earned my business and support. Plus after talking to Reid about the company, folks they know what they are doing and where they are going and how to get their. They are making the best irons of anyone in the industry, performance and looks. If you have thought about buying any MacGregor stuff at all please do it. Let's all do what we can to make this company as successful as possible. This is not your ordinary Golf Company, this is an extraordinary company.

Β 

To finish the story, Reid said he was taking my order to the production manager and they would call me. Guess what, 2 hours later she called and informed me they would ship out Tuesday. BUY MacGregor

Just a note on the outstanding customer service from MacGregor and Reid. I ordered a set of MT Pro CM's and there was going to be a little delay in getting them because of the shafts I ordered, so when I called talked to one of the inside sales guys about how long it would take, he had to check with production and called me back the same day with my answer. It was going to be several weeks because of the shaft company's inability to get them the shafts. I dropped a note to Reid about the delay last Sat. because we had emailed each other before, but not about my order. NOW here is where I get very impressed and honored to be dealing with MacGregor, on Easter Sunday I get an email from Reid asking me for a little info, which I send him. ON Monday I get a call from Reid who talks about all the testing they have done with shafts and what they found to work best with their equipment, so based on his guidance I changed to a different shaft. While we were on the phone I went ahead and added to my order two DW wedges, and I will be ordering the driver from them also just going to hit it first to decide loft and shaft [ Reid suggested also ].

Β 

Guys and Girls I did not need the wedges, I just bought 2 new wedges 5 weeks ago. He could have had anybody call me and it would have been just fine with me, But if the President of MacGregor Golf can go out of his way, way out of his way to help me the way he did then MacGregor Golf has earned my business and support. Plus after talking to Reid about the company, folks they know what they are doing and where they are going and how to get their. They are making the best irons of anyone in the industry, performance and looks. If you have thought about buying any MacGregor stuff at all please do it. Let's all do what we can to make this company as successful as possible. This is not your ordinary Golf Company, this is an extraordinary company.

Β 

To finish the story, Reid said he was taking my order to the production manager and they would call me. Guess what, 2 hours later she called and informed me they would ship out Tuesday. BUY MacGregor

Β 

Β 

I absoultely agree... BUY MACGREGOR! I have had all the same amount of attention from this company and they deserve all of our support. I will be carrying a full bag of Mac clubs this year. May take me a few months to get all the cash together... but I will be playing MacGregor.

jdsbose,

Wow, thats an incridible story! Talk about totally focused on great customer care. So, what shafts did you end up going with? I got S300s in mine and really think they feel great in the Pro Cs. I'm also going with atleast one new wedge, which I totally do not need also. I have 2 new CG 10s which are barely broken in, but I need to see more Mac in the bag. And those DW Wedges are great looking.

Β 

The word is getting out about MacGregor and their new products. BTW- yesterday I told my best golfing buddy, who usually plays what I play about my new MTs. He was like "oh, why do you do this to me...."

MacGregor is making great strides for a comeback. I've seen all the equipment in stores near me so it's nice to know they're getting their stuff out there.

Β 

I'd be really interested to know what shafts you went with and what Reid said were the best in those heads.

PINGΒ G400 Max 10.5Β° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18Β° (F-), Alta CB S
PINGΒ G430 hybrid 22Β° (F-), Alta CB S
PINGΒ i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54Β°-W (bent 52Β°), 58Β°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Β 

Β 

Β 

So, what was Reid's shaft recommendation? I am very close to ordering a set and would be interested in what Reid said. Thanks.

Β 

Β 

Β 

So, what was Reid's shaft recommendation? I am very close to ordering a set and would be interested in what Reid said. Thanks.

Β 

Β 

I have not heard this officially from Reid, but my sense is they (MacGregor) would be recommending the Nippon 1150 shafts? That is what I am ordering. I have heard great things about that shaft and I am very excited to try it out. I find the True Temper shafts to be a little harsh, for me.

Here is an exercise in restraint. These irons have been sitting at my house since Friday, most of them in the box. I knew I was way too busy Fri - Mon to even get close to a range or course, so finally, after long last, time to get to the range and ....... But first, the pics as requested.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Here is an exercise in restraint. These irons have been sitting at my house since Friday, most of them in the box. I knew I was way too busy Fri - Mon to even get close to a range or course, so finally, after long last, time to get to the range and ....... But first, the pics as requested.

Β 

Show more restraint than I could, then again right now I have no choice due to Massachusetts weather (where is that global warming I've been promised?)

Β 

Those really are some beautiful clubs you go there, I love the combo setup with MacGregor how they designed the C and M's to be interchangeable.

Β 

Congrats on the new toys, enjoy them!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

WOW is all I can say. DMAN, those are some beautiful irons! Kudos to Macgregor and Don White!

Just ridiculous. Can you give us some insight on what you had done? Looks like the heel is definitely more squared off. Maybe a slight leading edge grind ala Aaron Baddely...

PINGΒ G400 Max 10.5Β° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18Β° (F-), Alta CB S
PINGΒ G430 hybrid 22Β° (F-), Alta CB S
PINGΒ i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54Β°-W (bent 52Β°), 58Β°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Β 

Β 

Β 

Nippon, that is what he went with also after all they tested.

I had the pleasure of hitting Demo man's custom Don White combo set today, and all I can say is they are awesome to look at, and sweet to hit. I think I may be contacting Reid soon.

ps nice putter by the way

Zach

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Just ridiculous. Can you give us some insight on what you had done? Looks like the heel is definitely more squared off. Maybe a slight leading edge grind ala Aaron Baddely...

Β 

Pro CM

Sharp Heel

Thin Top line

Standard Toe

Straight Leading edge

Killed Leading edge blend

Standard camber on the sole shape

Β 

My reasoning behind them is I purposely wanted a more demanding iron so as to make me concentrate more. But there are features that offer help for what I am trying to do. A sharp heel with a straight leading edge helps present a more square looking sole which in turn helps me align the shot better. The penalty though will be less forgiveness on downhill lies. A get a little relief though with a little camber on the sole. I tend to pick at the ball and not take much of a divot so I went with a killed leading edge.

Β 

Certainly the 3 - 5 iron are no gimme irons to hit, they are as small as the MR-23s I used to play a lot. Misses will go nowhere obviously, but the feel at impact on a center hit is just awesome. The feedback on these irons is superb. No doubt, I am going to have to step up my practicing to make these irons perform. But I will keep the X-forged around just in case I take a few weeks off and forget how to hit a ball. :)

Demo,

Those are great looking. I especially like the sharp heel and thin top line. Good luck with them. Did you go with DG or Nippon?

Β 

Neither. I had Tour Concept S3s put in by DW. I have been playing TCs for a year now on the Cally X-Forged and I can't imagine playing any other shaft, for my swing, it's a far superior shaft than PX, DG, or Nippon.

Β 

I also went with an all black ferrule instead of the black/red ones MacG is using. I don't know why but when I was demo'g the MacGs in Orlando, the red stripes on the ferrule were like a magnet for my eyes. They look good, but highly distracting.