2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread seems to be dominated by the Pro-Cs and Pro-Ms, and rightly so.....BUT, I was wondering if there's any more experience with the MTs? I know there were a couple of posts about them, but I'm curious if anyone new has tried them, or those that have them can provide additional thoughts about them (the MTs, not the MT-mids)?

I was able to hit these at a recent Demo Day. The MT was the Iron of choice for me. It looked like a Players Iron, the Forged face gave it a similar feel, and it had loads of distance and forgiveness. It does not though cover up the feel of mis-hits. It isn't harsh, but you can feel it, which is a good thing . . . if you want to improve. I wanted to be able to hit the Pro Cs, but my swing and speed just isn't there.

The MTs are very much part of the trend of the multiple piece/material pocket cavity explosion. (See Srixon I-701, Titleist AP2, BS J36 PC (not 2pc), Ping S-57). In my opinion MacGregor and maybe BS accomplish this with a more traditional looking Iron.

I was playing TM LT2s, as soon as I receive the MTs, the LT2s will become a back-up set. My bag will eventually have MacGregor Irons and Wedges, the Driver, and as soon as I can test one, probably a Bobby Grace Sarasota putter. It has a task to kick out the Bettinardi BC-03, but where the Bettinardi takes alot of effort on lag putts, it is my understanding that the Bobby Grace putters are excellent on distance and preventing loss of distance on mis-hits.

When I eventually complete my new bag, I will offer a full report.

By the way, Rayl Evans will be at the Desert Mountain Demo Day in Phoenix April 30th. There will be several Brands there, so don't miss it if you are nearby!

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

I agree. The Mac MT's are the sleeper of the line. I felt more comfortable with the Pro-C's in the shorter irons but love the MT 5 iron. Sets up perfect and the larger head gives me more confidence. The feel is excellent as well.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I agree. The Mac MT's are the sleeper of the line. I felt more comfortable with the Pro-C's in the shorter irons but love the MT 5 iron. Sets up perfect and the larger head gives me more confidence. The feel is excellent as well.

Very nice club line up, very similar to what I will be going to. How does the yardage gap work between your 25* MT 5 Iron and the 31* Pro C 6 Iron? Didn't you find the MT 5 Iron to be longer than the Pro C 5 Iron, and then couple that with a six degree gap . . . interested to know how it worked.

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115

Very nice club line up, very similar to what I will be going to. How does the yardage gap work between your 25* MT 5 Iron and the 31* Pro C 6 Iron? Didn't you find the MT 5 Iron to be longer than the Pro C 5 Iron, and then couple that with a six degree gap . . . interested to know how it worked.

I had it bent 1 degree weak to close the gap a bit. It's still half a club longer than the Pro-C 5 but I just have more confidence with the slightly larger club head. The feel is excellent but a little hotter.

Never had a happier honeymoon with a set of irons.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I had it bent 1 degree weak to close the gap a bit. It's still half a club longer than the Pro-C 5 but I just have more confidence with the slightly larger club head. The feel is excellent but a little hotter.

Well, I've pretty much decided on picking up a set of the MTs.....now I just have to decide if I want the Nippon 1150s, the KB Tours, or the DGLs300s......decisions, decision.

Thanks. O.k. I have another question for you. In a recent Todays Golfer test (6 Irons) the MT Pro C came in at an average of 159 yds with a spin rate of 3088. The MTs came in at 152 yds with a spin rate of 5630.

TG uses flight scope and has four testers hit ten balls to get the average. Not perfect but over 1500 rpms of spin rate between the two is quite a bit even for allowing for error margin, and would reduce distance and pronounce fades.

Hitting the 5 Iron, what has been your experience in relation to spin? Thanks again.

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115

Thanks. O.k. I have another question for you. In a recent Todays Golfer test (6 Irons) the MT Pro C came in at an average of 159 yds with a spin rate of 3088. The MTs came in at 152 yds with a spin rate of 5630.

TG uses flight scope and has four testers hit ten balls to get the average. Not perfect but over 1500 rpms of spin rate between the two is quite a bit even for allowing for error margin, and would reduce distance and pronounce fades.

Hitting the 5 Iron, what has been your experience in relation to spin? Thanks again.

That's interesting since it's the first thing/person that I've seen that says the distances are even close (with the MT being the longer). I imagine the shaft difference (nippon 950 vs. 1150) probably played a major role in the spin department. I've searched that site and can't find the study you speak of - can you provide a link? What type of players were used for the test? ALso did they use the MT, the MT mid, or the MT OS?

This thread seems to be dominated by the Pro-Cs and Pro-Ms, and rightly so.....BUT, I was wondering if there's any more experience with the MTs? I know there were a couple of posts about them, but I'm curious if anyone new has tried them, or those that have them can provide additional thoughts about them (the MTs, not the MT-mids)?

I don't have any experience, yet, with the MT's ( the model for the mid cap).

I did, however, get a PM from Reid Gorman of MacGregor telling me that they now plan on offering the MT in gunmetal as well and that MacGregor hopes to have the gunmetal MT available by July.

a beautiful iron just got even more beautiful !!!!!

That's interesting since it's the first thing/person that I've seen that says the distances are even close (with the MT being the longer). I imagine the shaft difference (nippon 950 vs. 1150) probably played a major role in the spin department. I've searched that site and can't find the study you speak of - can you provide a link? What type of players were used for the test? ALso did they use the MT, the MT mid, or the MT OS?

I don't know where on their website it is to provide a link. It is in issue 241, which should be on U.S. newsstands now. The numbers I provided were from the MT Pro C and the MT. They did test the MT OS under Game Improvement category and it was the longest iron in the test at 173 yds with a spin rate of 3198.

Testers were Jon Watts-Golf Professional and Club Fitter, Carly Cummins-Instruction Editor 3 handicap, TG Tester-7 handicap, and Sean Ramsdale-Senior Equipment Editor/former Pro.

By the way, I saw someone mention that the MT is for Mid-Handicap. That was not MacGregor's intention. The MT is for Low to Mid, and the MT Mid is for . . . well . . . the Mid handicapper.

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115

I don't have any experience, yet, with the MT's ( the model for the mid cap).

I did, however, get a PM from Reid Gorman of MacGregor telling me that they now plan on offering the MT in gunmetal as well and that MacGregor hopes to have the gunmetal MT available by July.

a beautiful iron just got even more beautiful !!!!!

Sure wish I would have seen known this earlier yesterday...... :D I might have held off from picking up a set.....i think the gunmetals will be very nice.

Don't know if it makes you feel any better but I was leaning towards the gunmetal Pro-C. And believe me, they look nice. But after hitting a few balls I wanted to go back to the satin. Just felt it was easier to frame the ball. Can't go wrong with either as these are the best irons to come around in years.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

When custom ordering a set with weak lofts (PW 50*) do they just bend the regular heads and thereby mess up the original bounce, or do they make special heads with corresponding bounce angles for weak lofted heads?

Tiger_Stud,

Our PW is 47* We don't recommend more than 2 degrees movement on loft because it will impact the bounce. However, we do make a 50* MT-Pro Don White wedge that can be added to the bag :D .

Thanks, Reid Gorman

Don't know if it makes you feel any better but I was leaning towards the gunmetal Pro-C. And believe me, they look nice. But after hitting a few balls I wanted to go back to the satin. Just felt it was easier to frame the ball. Can't go wrong with either as these are the best irons to come around in years.

I know a lot of people are going the route of gunmetal because it is unique, but I think long term I would be happier with the satin chrome in my irons - so that is what I went with. Wedges, however, got the gunmetal.

As usual, I am torn between the satin chrome and full chrome in the irons, but will be getting the gunmetal on the wedges.

If I don't play well, it won't be due to the clubs, that is for sure.

When you pure these things (MT Pro M or C), it feels like you didn't hit the ball. They should put these sticks on rolls, because they are pure butta.

I just spoke to MacGregor Customer service who consulted with their "R and D" team and said if you order the Pro C's with Nippon 1150 shafts, the set is right around a D1 swing weight vs. a Dynamic Gold S300 set would be around D3. If this is truly the case I might look into getting a set with Nippons and probably keep my DG S's as a back up. Can anybody confirm if this is true, I just find it hard to believe. Would a slighly lighter shaft really have this much affect?

Not that I don't trust what they are telling me, but somebody on this board told me they had the Pro C's with the Nippon shaft and they were also a D3.

It's probably me you're referring to. I ordered mine through Discount Dan's and thought I specified D3. Maybe, maybe not. Got them in last week and they definitely felt lighter. I need to get them checked as I'm willing to bet the info you received was correct. If that's the case, I may have a club fitter near me add some tip weight to them rather than send them all the way back. if it's really off, then I may see if Mac will rebuild them.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I just saw these in person at a local retailer and they are incredible... only issue I have is...

I have to wait for the LEFTY version :D

But I am thankful that they are coming in lefty. The Pro-M's will be replacing my Mizuno MP32's as soon as I can get my hands on them.

The driver and fairways look amazing as well. Just nee them reversed for my game.

I just saw these in person at a local retailer and they are incredible... only issue I have is...

I have to wait for the LEFTY version :russian_roulette:

But I am thankful that they are coming in lefty. The Pro-M's will be replacing my Mizuno MP32's as soon as I can get my hands on them.

The driver and fairways look amazing as well. Just nee them reversed for my game.

Looks like we might be S.O.L. on the MacGregor southpaw offering front. Hopefully it's just a website oversight, but where the MT PRO-M and MT PRO-C were previously listed as "Yes" for Left Hand under the specs, it now reads, "No." More than a little disappointing, especially as both the irons and woods have been getting great reviews all around. hmmmm...

:hi:

I e-mailed Reid himself two days ago about the lefty versions of the MT Pro M and C. He said it looked like July sometime now, but assured me they WERE coming. Have faith brother! Stay away from the darkside and never trust a companies website. I don't think Reid would pull my leg on this. He's been VERY intune with things so far. I'm with you on the anticipation scale. These things are sick!

Seth

Because of their awesome service and grassroots campaign (for lack of a better term), I am pulling the trigger next week!!!

Tax return, baby!!!

I have to get fitted properly, and I know I am getting irons (Pro C or Pro CM), wedges, driver, fairway wood, and hybrid.

Don't know about putter, but it would be kind of sweet to put a full Mac bag together.

The irons, wedges and woods clearly need a prescription, because they are just flat out sick.