2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me where I can find the review of MT-PRO driver and FW?

There are reviews of the Driver throughout this thread. The MT 460 is a superior club head. I was hitting the Burner TP. The MT is much more consistent for me. The driver is truly workable. It isn't a driver for someone who slices, as it won't correct for you like a regular Burner, or Adams, or any other closed faced. In regards to length it is as long as the my Burner TP, new Tour Burners, Cobra LV4, and any other.

I will say that the face is shallower than the Burner TP and the Admas Pro. It does require adjusting your tee height if you have been using tall faced drivers.

I the Aldila DVS does not work for me in drivers. I like them in fairway woods, but the kick point in the driver shaft is too low. I shafted with a UST V2 and haven't looked back.

I have a quick question: are the Pro-Ms and Pro-Cs a one-piece forging or two-piece?

One piece forging. Similar to Fourteen Irons. It has not officlaly been announced from MacGregor, but if take a close look at Fourteen which are forged by Endo Thailand, you can add two and two together for yourself.

Endo mechanisms for club manufacturering are the same in all of their factories. The method is there. Some will say that quality control is higher at the Japan plant. It is possibly more prestigious, higher quality control is rather subjective.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

My biggest problem as of late has been hitting with my Mac's at the driving range.

Everyone wants to hit them!!!!

I am still being nice about it, but yesterday, I was having a very good range session (still dialing in distances), and was all over putting my 9 iron 140-145 (the 150 flag was playing a little short), when some guy playing a set of Titleist Tour blades (nice clubs btw, had never seen them before):

"Hey buddy, those look really nice. Mind if I hit one?"

"Not at all, go for it. Mine are 1/2 long, but standard lie."

He kept raving about the 7 iron, and then asked to hit my DW wedges.

I thought I just might have to fight this guy to get my two clubs back. Actually, a really cool guy that has 2 young kids and says he isn't practicing enough to be playing pure blades, and that the cavity on my Pro-C's may have just enough forgiveness for him.

I don't let anyone hit my woods though, because I know I am asking for a skymark, which would drive me bananas.

Just a quick note to give major props to Reid for an incredibly rapid e-mail reply and follow-up response to a customer service e-mail I sent him recently.

Absolutely first rate.

GHIN Index: 18.0
PING G30 10.5 R
Cobra F7 14.5
Cobra F6 Baffler 19
Mashie+ m4
MacGregor M565 5-GW Rifle 4.5 R flex
Callaway MD2 52.9, 56.11 wedges
Rife Aussie Mallet 34"
Maxfli U/6 Tour Soft

There are reviews of the Driver throughout this thread. The MT 460 is a superior club head. I was hitting the Burner TP. The MT is much more consistent for me. The driver is truly workable. It isn't a driver for someone who slices, as it won't correct for you like a regular Burner, or Adams, or any other closed faced. In regards to length it is as long as the my Burner TP, new Tour Burners, Cobra LV4, and any other.

I will say that the face is shallower than the Burner TP and the Admas Pro. It does require adjusting your tee height if you have been using tall faced drivers.

I the Aldila DVS does not work for me in drivers. I like them in fairway woods, but the kick point in the driver shaft is too low. I shafted with a UST V2 and haven't looked back.

I have a quick question: are the Pro-Ms and Pro-Cs a one-piece forging or two-piece?

One piece forging. Similar to Fourteen Irons. It has not officlaly been announced from MacGregor, but if take a close look at Fourteen which are forged by Endo Thailand, you can add two and two together for yourself.

Endo mechanisms for club manufacturering are the same in all of their factories. The method is there. Some will say that quality control is higher at the Japan plant. It is possibly more prestigious, higher quality control is rather subjective.

Actually they are a 2 piece forging. Material is welded to the back and the muscle is then milled.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

One piece forging. Similar to Fourteen Irons.

Actually they are a 2 piece forging. Material is welded to the back and the muscle is then milled.

Hmmm ... looks convincing. Have I been misled?

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

One piece forging. Similar to Fourteen Irons.

Hmmm ... looks convincing. Have I been misled?

This was a pic someone here posted in the domestic forum from the Haggin Oaks demo day. I dont know if both the Pro M and Pro C are made the same way or not. Maybe Reid Gorman can chime in?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Just a quick note to give major props to Reid for an incredibly rapid e-mail reply and follow-up response to a customer service e-mail I sent him recently.

Absolutely first rate.

Moved and seconded here. I sent Reid an email Friday around lunchtime to inquire about the free demo iron offer. A couple of hours later I got a response from Kira in their customer service department telling me it was en route. I hope the club is as good as the service!

I'm getting a MT iron, BTW, based on their recommendation.

I put a full Mac bag together, and now it is complete.

My DCT Sanibel came in today.

I was rolling in putts on the practice green like a champion.

I compared it to my former favorite, an Odyssey Triforce #2 (still a very good putter), but on toe/heel hits, the DCT was getting the same distance. There is certainly something to this technology.

Well I'm sure that several people have mentioned this before and I didn't really want to go through all 30 pages of responses, so here it goes... I called MacGregor Golf customer service b/c I wanted to reshaft my old PCB tour irons, as I got to talking to the CS rep he gave me a price quote, given the type of shaft i wanted, and said that it wouldn't be any problem. Then I asked about their new irons and how i wanted to test them but couldn't find a place that sold them locally. so he goes on to say that they will send me a seven iron to test and i was like cool!!!! i then asked, when should i send it back? he replied, its mine to keep, i was like WHAT!!!! ya its just a seven iron, but still something they just give to test out and keep, he even said if i decide to purchase a set or MT irons, just pass the free iron along to someone else for them to test out. anyways i asked to try the cavities and blade, they came in, i took them out on a round, felt great and wanting to purchase a set for myself. so the moral of the story is that these are some of the best clubs i've hit and are spectacular (this is my opinion) and am drawn back to the MacGregor line of products. So if the president of the company is still reading this posting, GREAT JOB!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I took the pic and handled each head.... two piece all the way through.

And the pic on the far right shows the CNC milling to get a rough final shape.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I took the pic and handled each head.... two piece all the way through.

And the pic on the far right shows the CNC milling to get a rough final shape.

Why not a one piece forging? Doesn't Mizuno one piece forge? How were the irons made in the past by MacGregor, Powerbilt, Wilson, Spalding, Ram, and Hogan made?

Do they send free demos overseas?

I live in the Philippines and am contemplating whether to get Callaway X-Prototypes or Macgregor Pro-M's.

Has anyone tried both side-by-side?

For me in a nutshell :

Looks - Macgregor.. more tradition looking blade.. X's are progressive weighting and it shows in the shape of the muscle

Distance - I hit the X-proto longer by 5-7 yards, both sets are consistent distance wise

Forgiveness - Both are easy to hit but the Xproto are a little more forgiving for a blade

Feel - 1020(cally) vs 1025(mac)... the protos win, they are softer. The gunmetal mac are closer then the chrome..but cally still has the edge.

now if the x-proto grind did not work for you...well macs can be custom ordered with all kinds of options.. advantage mac.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

For me in a nutshell :

Looks - Macgregor.. more tradition looking blade.. X's are progressive weighting and it shows in the shape of the muscle

Distance - I hit the X-proto longer by 5-7 yards, both sets are consistent distance wise

Forgiveness - Both are easy to hit but the Xproto are a little more forgiving for a blade

Feel - 1020(cally) vs 1025(mac)... the protos win, they are softer. The gunmetal mac are closer then the chrome..but cally still has the edge.

now if the x-proto grind did not work for you...well macs can be custom ordered with all kinds of options.. advantage mac.

Thanks so much for your insights! I'd like to add a few more follow-up questions:

1. How does the finish (chrome) on both compare?

2. How does the sole width and grind compare in both? What do you think has less bounce?

3. How does the offset compare?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate your input.

Been paying attention to this post since......well, whenever it began. Finally had to pick up some Pro-CM's to try, despite the fact that my handicap is far too high to really use them correctly. When I do hit them flush, they're much better than my old 1025CM's. I'll attribute it to the smooth Nippon shafts. Someday I'll play them full time. Till then, I'll take one or two with me to the range each time. Great practice aid, though. Compared to the Pro-C 4 iron, my Titleist 804's all feel like hybrids.

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?