2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

For me in a nutshell :

Looks - Macgregor.. more tradition looking blade.. X's are progressive weighting and it shows in the shape of the muscle

Distance - I hit the X-proto longer by 5-7 yards, both sets are consistent distance wise

Forgiveness - Both are easy to hit but the Xproto are a little more forgiving for a blade

Feel - 1020(cally) vs 1025(mac)... the protos win, they are softer. The gunmetal mac are closer then the chrome..but cally still has the edge.

now if the x-proto grind did not work for you...well macs can be custom ordered with all kinds of options.. advantage mac.

Thanks so much for your insights! I'd like to add a few more follow-up questions:

1. How does the finish (chrome) on both compare?

2. How does the sole width and grind compare in both? What do you think has less bounce?

3. How does the offset compare?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate your input.

1. pretty close..cally are a shade duller satin, both show some wear on face, my cally showed a little more. Callys are softer

2. I'm a picker! blade to blade although I never measured bounce seems/looks comparable

3. not much offset on either.. callys are smaller in size which I like, not to say the macs are huge, they are not

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can carefully bend them or apply say masking tape to where the lie machine touches the club but I had mine bent and they do wear where the machine was attached.

What about cleaning the clubs? I am one that carries a pocket steel brush and cleans clubs right after a shot. I guess my real question is that I love the look of the gunmetal, but is it going to scratch and look terrible after a year?? I have never had a gunmetal finish so I don't how it will hold up over time.

You can carefully bend them or apply say masking tape to where the lie machine touches the club but I had mine bent and they do wear where the machine was attached.

What about cleaning the clubs? I am one that carries a pocket steel brush and cleans clubs right after a shot. I guess my real question is that I love the look of the gunmetal, but is it going to scratch and look terrible after a year?? I have never had a gunmetal finish so I don't how it will hold up over time.

If you love your irons, NEVER use a steel brush on them. Always use a plastic brush.

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this is frustrating. I haven't been able to find a set of Pro-C's with Nippon 1150 in any of the listed dealers in my area. One dealer only builds clubs, which isn't for me...I want the build quality and ferrules etc from the factory like my demo 7 iron. I don't like to order sight unseen. Wish more product could get on shelves.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

You might want to get a set built. I have 2 sets of Pro C's. I love them, but have had the ferrules slip up on two of the irons. I hate it when that happens. The factory didn't epoxy the ferrules appropriately. When that happens, I just pull them apart and rebuild them properly. What a pain.

But, that said, they're easily my favorite irons. Order some for Edwin Watts.

You might want to get a set built. I have 2 sets of Pro C's. I love them, but have had the ferrules slip up on two of the irons. I hate it when that happens. The factory didn't epoxy the ferrules appropriately.

Interesting...my demo 7 iron is absolutely perfect. I've hit so many balls with it that I'd expect it to show some wear, but it's not wearing at all. I have a lead on a set, and am going to have them by next week I hope.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Semper Fi-- noticed that you have the 52 and 58 DW wedges with Nippon 1150...did you have to do a special order on these? I'd probably like that setup as well. Any comments on the wedges?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Hey guys, this includes females, I have the MT pro CM & 2 DW wedges. Great clubs. Also trying to get a MT 460 shaft combo that works for me. Anyway since the new Mac stuff is so good I decided to try one of the new Grace putters, so I grabbed the DCT Sunset model, I was wanting to try it just really to say I did. That was a mistake, I played a round with it and had one of my best putting rounds ever, even the guys I was playing with were commenting on my putting that day. So thinking it might have been a fluke, I played another round with it, almost the same results. I feel in love with it, I never thought anything would knock my Odyssey out of my bag, and it was custom fit. Guys check out their Bobby Grace putter line, it is every bit as good as the irons. It is the best putter I have ever played, and I have played a few of them.

Semper Fi-- noticed that you have the 52 and 58 DW wedges with Nippon 1150...did you have to do a special order on these? I'd probably like that setup as well. Any comments on the wedges?

I did have to special order them. I ordered them from Edwin Watts and specified that I wanted the Nippons in the wedges too. They said will do, and I assumed there would be some kind of upcharge for them in the wedges, but there wasn't. Just standard price, so worked out well.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is a note from the UK. I sent an email to Reid a couple of weeks ago, he sent it on for handling to his customer services within 20 minutes, who in turn responded to me within another 40 minutes! I asked to try a MT Pro M with a 1150 stiff shaft.

Today, I received a box via ParcelfArce in the UK (having had to pay THEM an £8 handling fee ontop of the customs charge, Gggrrrrrr) and when I opened it, there was a MT Pro-M with a S300 shaft AND a MT Pro-C with a 1150 stiff shaft.

What beautiful pair of clubs and I can't wait to get to the range. Having received them, I have even gotten over being scr*wed by ParcelfArce.

On another note, I just noticed this item on US eBay:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...hlink:middle:us

Looks like some lowlife is trying to cash in on Macgregors generosity. Maybe we should bid it up to $1,000,000 to teach him a lesson ??

I already have a set of 1025CM's, a set of M675's and hopefully, soon, a set of MT Pro-CMs.

Reid, great service and great clubs, even for us on the other side of the pond.

You might want to get a set built. I have 2 sets of Pro C's. I love them, but have had the ferrules slip up on two of the irons. I hate it when that happens. The factory didn't epoxy the ferrules appropriately.

Interesting...my demo 7 iron is absolutely perfect. I've hit so many balls with it that I'd expect it to show some wear, but it's not wearing at all. I have a lead on a set, and am going to have them by next week I hope.

"Interesting" .... Since you have a total of one demo MacGregor club, while I have 3 sets of eight clubs and 4 wedges (have since bought another set, I really do like these clubs), I will go ahead and stick with my observations over your singular experience.

Question for anyone with the new MAC's in Gunmetal...my club (ProCM) keep getting a white residue or scratch when they rub against each other. It appears like a chemical reaction the clubs have to each other. No damage and it doesn't effect play, but my Cleveland wedges don't do this. Anybody else experiencing this or no how to avoid it?

Also, my ferrules have come loose on several clubs.

Besides these two minor things I love these clubs!

Question for anyone with the new MAC's in Gunmetal...my club (ProCM) keep getting a white residue or scratch when they rub against each other. It appears like a chemical reaction the clubs have to each other. No damage and it doesn't effect play, but my Cleveland wedges don't do this. Anybody else experiencing this or no how to avoid it?

Also, my ferrules have come loose on several clubs.

Besides these two minor things I love these clubs!

Several of the ferrules have come loose on my Gunmetal Pro-M's. And I also get those white marks. I also get white residue on the faces from hitting range balls, some of which is very difficult to remove. So far the finish seems to be ok. Not as good as Feel Golf, but the Feel clubs are not forged so the process for the finish is different I'm sure. I'm very satisfied with the clubs and recommend them highly.

I was just afforded the luxury of going to the MacGregor factory and getting fitted for the MT 460 driver. I had been playing that club for the majority of this year; but I made an adjustment to the club that combined with an inexplicable change in my swing, made it virtually unplayable. After making one attempt to fix the club I called customer service at Mac and after talking with Todd Matherly, was invited to a fitting session.

I drove over to the factory and after meeting with Todd we proceeded to hit some clubs. Todd set me up on trackman and I went thru six drivers with two lofts and four different shafts. We finally settled on an 11.5 loft with graffaloy pro launch blue 65 stiff. That might sound extreme; but I was looking for maximum carry and that seemed to be the ticket, based on my launch numbers. I normally have a swing speed of 103mph with a max on a good day of 110mph. On the day I was at the factory I was only able to come up with 97mph (wouldn't you just know!) after being sick all week with some flu/cold bug. I brought a demo MT 7 iron w/flighted rifle 6.0 to warm up with before hitting the driver and fortunately I hit the ball consistently straight all thru the process. I only embarrassed myself when I tried to hit one of their MT 7 irons with project x 6.0, I just couldn't get it off the ground or very high. But my MT 7 iron was magic. I may have to get a set of those later on.

Thanks to Karen and Todd at MacGregor for all their time and patience and allowing me the chance to come over for a visit. I am looking forward to getting my club Wednesday next week.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

• 1 month later...