2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reid Gorman resigned from MacGregor earlier this week, although there seems to be no official announcement from the company yet. As for the company and it's health, rumors abound. Lots of turnover in the sales dept in recent months and no new line announcments for 2009 has their workforce and account base very skittish. Such a shame as the company has some incredible people and assets (i.e. Don White etc)

Reid Gorman resigned from MacGregor earlier this week, although there seems to be no official announcement from the company yet. As for the company and it's health, rumors abound. Lots of turnover in the sales dept in recent months and no new line announcments for 2009 has their workforce and account base very skittish. Such a shame as the company has some incredible people and assets (i.e. Don White etc)

That is a shame. If Macgregor survives these tough financial times I hope the level of customer service that Reid brought with him will remain the same under the new regime.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

What is your source for this? Reid's future plans?

Talked to one of their reps, and while he did not confirm the above statement... he's heard the same thing this week from other various people associated with MacGregor. This goes along with his statement of the sales meeting being cancelled last month... and the normal weekly calls from management have all but disappeared the past weeks.

All has gone dark at company HQ and he can't seem to get answers from anyone... needless to say he's working on his resume.

Talked to one of their reps, and while he did not confirm the above statement... he's heard the same thing this week from other various people associated with MacGregor. This goes along with his statement of the sales meeting being cancelled last month... and the normal weekly calls from management have all but disappeared the past weeks.

All has gone dark at company HQ and he can't seem to get answers from anyone... needless to say he's working on his resume.

I am not sure how good this information is, but I was told today that Reid is still with the company. He is out of the office this week and due back next week. I was also told that the club line for 09 will be basically the same as this year with no major changes. The source of this information is customer service at MacGregor. I hope it is true and would like to see the succeed. Reid seems like a decent guy.

I am not sure how good this information is, but I was told today that Reid is still with the company. He is out of the office this week and due back next week. I was also told that the club line for 09 will be basically the same as this year with no major changes. The source of this information is customer service at MacGregor. I hope it is true and would like to see the succeed. Reid seems like a decent guy.

Could very well be the case... I was just passing along what the rep told me. Again, he did not confirm the rumor... just said he heard it from other people associated with MacGregor - combine that with the cancelled sales meeting and no news on 2009 products led him to think it might have legs.

Guess we'll find out next week....

There could be a massive overhaul in distribution structure going on too. It's fairly obvious that some massive attention is needed to their sales. But what and how?

With Greg Norman involved I have my doubts that they would be mailing it in right now.

Greg's no fool. With MacGregor's losses and the downward spiral of the world economy, my bet is Greg divests his interest and cuts his losses.

Customer servive reps on the phone would be my last sourse for information as they will tow the company line and are usually the least informed employees.

Cancelled sales meetings, no product announcements, reps not getting information usually point to a company about to close the doors or be sold.

While the free demo program was a great idea it was most likely born of slow sales and excess inventory. First signs that trouble was on the horizon most likely.

Would love to see Don White picked up by Tour Edge for the Extoics line. TEE has the wood technology but lack somehow with irons. Adams would not be a bad choice, either.

I emailed Reid at the beginning of September inquiring about the availability for the PRO-MC series in left handed for the 2009 season. He replied back a couple times with lots of information. Everything sounded well and in motion for the 2009 line. Hope everything is ok, I really want a set of those in the Gunmetal finish.

I talked to Reid Gorman Friday Oct 10th. He told me that he is no longer with MacGregor. Reid has moved on to start a new venture away from the golf equipment industry. He didn't say anything about MacGregors current condition, and I didnt think it was right to ask him.

Reid has poured the last couple of years of his life into MacGregor. Lets wish him luck.

I will call MacGregor and poke around a little. You would have to think the current economy will make things tougher than they were before. However MacGregor doesn't have the HUGE overhead that some of the other bigger companies do. We will see.

I talked to Reid Gorman Friday Oct 10th. He told me that he is no longer with MacGregor. Reid has moved on to start a new venture away from the golf equipment industry. He didn't say anything about MacGregors current condition, and I didnt think it was right to ask him.

Reid has poured the last couple of years of his life into MacGregor. Lets wish him luck.

I will call MacGregor and poke around a little. You would have to think the current economy will make things tougher than they were before. However MacGregor doesn't have the HUGE overhead that some of the other bigger companies do. We will see.

Smart move by Reid getting out of the golf industry all together.. I'm sure it is going to be a tough go for a few years and many companies will assume room temperature.

Reid is a great guy and will be successful at whatever he tries. I also knew him when he was with Callaway.

Yeah, EASYYY, let us know what you find out. It will be interesting to see if Macgregor is heading towards its demise. I wouldn't be surprised either way really. I mean, Lehman Brothers had been around since 1850 and it just went "poof." Gone in one week. Macgregor has been around since 1897 and it might do the same. I really, really hope not, though.

Yeah, EASYYY, let us know what you find out. It will be interesting to see if Macgregor is heading towards its demise. I wouldn't be surprised either way really. I mean, Lehman Brothers had been around since 1850 and it just went "poof." Gone in one week. Macgregor has been around since 1897 and it might do the same. I really, really hope not, though.

I don't know that you can really equate the 2. I can't imagine that MacGregor has that much money invested in this year. R&D for the MT stuff is about it, little to no advertising, no sponsorships. I see no reason why they can't survive in the US like Tour Edge or heck even Mizuno. I doubt any of Mizunos tour guys are really equating to many sales for them.

I wasn't really trying to equate the two on a business standpoint; it was more towards the idea that they both have been around for so long and then just disappear so quick in this ever changing, unstable economy. I really am pulling for Macgregor and hope that since they have become so "lean" they can get through it. I can't imagine Norman is just going to pack it in, yet.

• 3 months later...

After all the hype and discussions about Macgregor's new offerings last year who is actually playing these great looking sticks. When they first came out I was very impressed with the looks of these clubs but couldn't justify spending $800 on a new set since I had just purchased a set of Miura CB202's. With the crash in the price I just bought a new set of the MT Pro C/M's w/ the Nippon shaft and was equally impressed with how they played. After hitting them I wished I had purchased the MT Pro M instead of the combo. My Miura's could be the back up set to my new Macgregor's. The only reason I ask is because I have never seen another set in someones bag...is there anyone out there using these clubs?

I also just bought a set of the MT Pro CM's last week on ebay and they should be delivered today. My current set are AP2's so once it thaws out here and spring arrives there will be some extensive testing done to compare.

I do know that I had both the Pro C and Pro M demo 7 irons from Mac last summer, and they both performed similarly to the AP2, and that was without being to my specs in terms of lie angle.

As far as never seeing them in anyone's bag, that's probably a testament to the trouble it seems they had in actually generating sales other than from the very savvy golf equipment buyers that frequent sites like this. I know that at least in the Cincinnati, OH area, the Mac rep was very tough to track down and not many places at all carried their line of stuff.

I can't wait for mine to arrive this evening.

After all the hype and discussions about Macgregor's new offerings last year who is actually playing these great looking sticks. When they first came out I was very impressed with the looks of these clubs but couldn't justify spending $800 on a new set since I had just purchased a set of Miura CB202's. With the crash in the price I just bought a new set of the MT Pro C/M's w/ the Nippon shaft and was equally impressed with how they played. After hitting them I wished I had purchased the MT Pro M instead of the combo. My Miura's could be the back up set to my new Macgregor's. The only reason I ask is because I have never seen another set in someones bag...is there anyone out there using these clubs?

I use the black Pro M's and like them very much. I've been looking around for the wedges on sale, but haven't found any.

I use the black Pro M's and like them very much. I've been looking around for the wedges on sale, but haven't found any.

GolfWRX sponsor gppgolf.com has the chrome for $50. Tried to order the gunmetal last week but they must have been out of stock. The website had them but my order was canceled. Ordered the chrome instead.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I do know that I had both the Pro C and Pro M demo 7 irons from Mac last summer, and they both performed similarly to the AP2, and that was without being to my specs in terms of lie angle.

I can't wait for mine to arrive this evening.

did the Pro C and the AP2 feel about the same?

I was thinking about the ProC set myself as $300 on the web seems a good price

WOW! Today arrived my Bobby Grace, what a touch! I proved last month in a shop but they still have the regular price at 149€, so I decided to pick it up at golf warehouse. Can not wait to prove it at course these days! Great feeling and adress!

I'm still thinking about to change my set of irons, I have in mind the PRO M's or VR blades.

Anybody can tell me the differences between this two models please?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...