2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Received my demo Pro-C 7 iron last week, and have hit it enough times (grass range and some in-play use) to feel good about posting some comments here. The demo I received (thanks, Reid) was standard length and lie with DGS300. The standard length of the Pro-C 5 iron is 38", which is my preferred length, and the lie is close to what I usually play (Pro-C 5-iron lie is 61.5*).

I like the Golf Pride DD2 grip (I usually use Tour Velvets) though I'd prefer having the MacGregor logo on the underside, if at all. The DD2 grip is busy enough as it is with the two-color (red/black) scheme.

Looks overall -- Mac is 9.99999/10 in this regard. All other clubs are homely in comparison.

Looks at address. Below is a pic of the Pro-C (on the right) compared to 7 irons from my Adams Idea Pro Forged (sorry about the pic...the Adams is not a closed face, but the face IS rusting badly) and Bridgestone J33 Combo.

IdeaProJ33Mac.jpg

The Mac's topline is slightly thicker than the others, but you'd never look down at it and think it is thick. The Mac is shorter heel-to-toe than the Adams (which is very long heel-to-toe...longer than just about any forged players CB out there), and about equivalent to the J33.

Nice square toe on the Mac...I've heard that in the shorter irons it gets rounder, but still not Mizuno-ish. The Adams toe shape is my favorite...beautiful all the way through the wedges.

Trajectory of the Mac is lower than the Idea Pro (which has Black Gold stiff) and about equivalent to the J33 (same shaft as the Mac).

Playability of the Mac (getting out of bad lies, punches, draws, fades) is better than the Adams and about equal to the J33.

Feel on the Mac is softer/more muted than the J33. The Adams has some sort of plastic coating in the cavity (and smooth steps in the Black Gold shaft) that softens feeling more than most irons in the category.

Leading edge of the Mac is relatively straight..comparable to the other two. Works fine for me, but more playing is needed on different surfaces.

Forgiveness...of these three clubs, the Adams has the highest MOI because of the size of the face heel-to-toe, and the J33 and the Pro-C are about the same. My misses bias toward the heel, so I'm fine with any of these. None are G10s or X-20s (or even X-20 Tours), but for guys used to playing with forged player CB's forgiveness is in the same ballpark for the Mac.

Summary - I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a set of these...I'll go through a fitting to get the right setup for me. I really like this club. I had tested some at Haggin Oaks golf expo, and at the time I was focused on something like the AP2 or X-20 Tour, but I've gone in a different direction after hitting 100+ balls with the Pro-C.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few notes:

I received my demo 7 iron in the Pro M but sadly it was shafted with a Dynamic Lite X100 instead of Dynamic Gold X100 which is my normal shaft although I have considered going to X300. I think I may stay with X100. I have not tried the demo yet but will soon. I am not sure how the Dynamic Lite X100 will play as it has a different step pattern, weight, and mid kick instead of high bend point. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has who have tried the nippon shaft. What do you think of it? It is supposed to be lighter and mid kick. Lighter might be better but mid kick I do not think is for me as I hit a very high shot and can bring rain. The nippon is supposed to be dual weighted with a unique stiff tip and butt section. Please chime in.

A few notes:

I received my demo 7 iron in the Pro M but sadly it was shafted with a Dynamic Lite X100 instead of Dynamic Gold X100 which is my normal shaft although I have considered going to X300. I think I may stay with X100. I have not tried the demo yet but will soon. I am not sure how the Dynamic Lite X100 will play as it has a different step pattern, weight, and mid kick instead of high bend point. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has who have tried the nippon shaft. What do you think of it? It is supposed to be lighter and mid kick. Lighter might be better but mid kick I do not think is for me as I hit a very high shot and can bring rain. The nippon is supposed to be dual weighted with a unique stiff tip and butt section. Please chime in.

I have tried the Nippon 1150 stiff shaft and I really love it! It is very smooth and I really like the way the "kick" in this shaft feels. Very smooth, but explosive.

Now... I might add one little issue some people seem to have with the Nippon shafts. They do seem to flight the ball a little higher. I do not feel it is a balooned flight, just higher. However, I also seem to be able to hit the needed knock down from time to time. so... overall, I think this shaft is a winner.

The irons are beautiful and MacGregor has done a wonderful job getting the clubs to market and attempting to get their good name back on the streets.

I back them 110% I will be purchasing a set of the PRO-C's this week and with the Nippon shafts.

Well, I think Mr. Norman is onto something here. Received my demo pro-c today. Beautifully crafted iron. Upon bending to my specs I was amazed how soft they are. Just chipped in the back yard--seems very soft. I'm very excited to hit full shots. We'll see. By the way, it took 10 days from my e-mail until I got the club.

For anybody who has bought a set of DW custom grinds, could you tell me about what that would run me. I have heard 2000, but would like to know for sure. Also can you tell any difference with the gunmetal clubs compared to just chrome.

Roughly $250 a club. Exotic shaft (e.g. KB Tour) may add to the cost.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I'm sure some short iron pics have been posted here, but can anyone say if the short irons (9, PW) look "round" or are they similar in toe shape to the 7 iron? Thanks.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Picked up my sticks yesterday.

Wonderful customer service.

Beautiful clubs.

Gives me a feeling of "I am not worthy".

This damned rain is killing me and driving me bananas.

I took the day off today so I could just get a ridiculously long range session/lession in.

The gods are against me.

These clubs may have peers, but there are none better.

It's as simple as that.

New to GolfWRX...came here after searching the web for a review on these MAC's a few weeks back.

Needless to say, after 10 years of playing a set of Titleist DCI 962's I findly found new irons that look good and feel even better. Ordered the PRO-CM in Gunmetal today!!! Tried the Ping S58, several Mizuno's, and the Cobra forged, but these come pretty close to the feel of my Hogan blades that I grew up playing with. Before ordering I wanted to hit some of the PRO-M's (and they were sold out), so the shop gave my number to the MAC rep. He called me the next morning and invited me to come hit his set of Gunmetal PRO-CM's at a private club to make my decision. Great look, great feel, great service...EOM.

I finally got to get a serious training session in today with my clubs.

I had an hour and a half lesson with my pro, and he was in awe of my clubs. He kept taking a different club out of the bag, putting it down on the ground and just kept repeating: "These are the prettiest damned things I have seen in the last 10-15 years. Let's see how you hit this one."

I was hitting my 9, 7, 6 and 5 like they were made for me (oh yeah, they were). I was consistently hitting the 7 iron 175 yards. If you can be in love with inanimate objects, count me in.

Customer service has been second to none.

Oh yeah, the wedges. I got those in gunmetal, and the grind on them fits my swing perfectly. I wasn't digging with them, but taking a nice healthy divot, and the ball was just dropping in special delivery style.

I was afraid my pro was going to steal my wedges. He was all about them, and he is a Cleveland player.

I was hitting bombs with the driver.

Only club I had a little trouble hitting was the 2 hybrid, and that was because I was blocking it a bit. I have the DVS 90 gram S shaft in it, and I was afraid to hook it (my typical long iron shot), so I was overcompensating and blocking it a bit. I corrected it, and was hitting the 2 hybrid as long as any 4 wood I have ever hit.

These are going to be bagged for an awful long time.

I said above that these clubs have peers, but that there are none better.

I'm now not convinced that these clubs have peers.

I've run out of adjectives to describe just how awesome these are.

I have decided I like the new DW Pro wedges alot better after reshafting them with Rifle Spinner shafts. It's alot easier to stop the ball and I back up full and 3/4 shots more frequently since making the change a week and a half ago. That may not seem like a revelation, but I don't generally take a big divot as I sweep the ball off the grass instead of hitting down on it. I do hit the ball high and land it softly, but backspin has never really been my thing until now. I also noticed that the swing weight is lighter making them a much better match to my irons.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Took them out for a spin the other day, now I have no problem getting rid of my MP-33's.

Tour issue Aeroburner TP 10.5* Diamana D+ 70x
SLDR 15* & 19* Diamana blueboard 83x
Adams Red 20* Ozik x
Macgregor Pro-C 4 Iron X100
Macgregor Pro-M 5-PW X100
Callaway Forged Copper 54 & 60*
Scotty Cameron Classic black Newport 2 34"

After all the debate about the 2008 season from Macgregor, I have been able to get you guys a sneak preview of some of their new offerings. Macgregor is going back to a forged line up, Don White designs that are 1025 forged carbon steel. They expect to be available this upcoming december/january.

where can I buy these in the Raleigh, NC area? It seems Dicks, Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith are not carrrying the MT series. I didn't ask the salespeople. But, glancing through the sets - I can't find the MT's. Golf Galaxy has two Mac sets. It didn't seem to be a current line. mactechs?

Where can I find my retailer in Europe??? The website turns me back to the americas website and consecuently to this area.

There is a Custom Club Fitter in the U.K. www.tru-golf.co.uk. They are located at:

Roker Park Golf Course

Holly Lane

Worplesdon

Guilford

Surrey

GU3 3PB

phone: 01483 236677

email: [email protected]

You should also be able to order through an online dealer in the States, such as edwin watts golf (edwinwattsgolf.com) and have it shipped. With the weak dollar you will probably save money.

I would also believe that since Today's Golfer and Golf Monthly recently tested and/or featured some MacGregor clubs, they will be in more shops in the U.K. in near future.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

I posted this in its own thread, but at the suggestion of another member, I'm posting it here as well:

Ok, after the very generous offer Reid Gorman made for the free demo club, I feel like at least ought to give a review of the experience I had dealing with Macgregor. In a word, amazing.

While I'm pretty happy with my i10s, I'm been thinking about going back to a good forged blade. My ball-striking (though not necessarily my scoring) has improved with age, and getting to where I feel like a blade is something I can handle. Also, the looks of these new MT Pro-M blades has really had me thinking that I might be interested. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in any store around my area. So this offer from Reid was perfect! So I emailed Reid on Friday and got a response from Todd Matherly, a customer service representative, on Monday. Todd asked me my specs and what iron I was interested in. Friday, I had the 7 irons. Yup, “irons” plural. I asked for a MT Pro-M, but happened to mention I’d love to compare the M to the C. So Todd sent both. They arrived spot on to my specs. 3/4” over length, 2 degrees up, 3 extra wraps under the grip. I also went with the DG x-100 shaft. First impression of the customer service: perfect.

(Just for background info: I’m a pretty good ball-striker who plays to about a 4 handicap right now. I hit the ball long and fairly high. My 7 iron typically flies 165. I hit the ball quite solid, my misses are usually pushes and pulls rather than mishits. I play Ping i10s with the x-flex AWT shafts. I find the i10s to be quite forgiving and they give me a nice high ballflight)

First impressions: damn, these are good looking clubs. The M may be my new favorite looking blade. Before I would always say I thought the KZG ZO was the best looking blade, but these take the cake. The brushed satin finish is perfect and the red and black grips make for a nice looking total package. Just a perfect looking blade. The C looks pretty much identical from the top, the only difference appears to be the cavity in the back. Also, the cavity in the C has cool little milling grooves that look very nice. All in all, these are fantastic looking clubs. Medium-ish topline, little to no offset, not a lot of bounce. Definitely look like players clubs. (note to Macgregor, you really should get pictures of these from the playing position on your website. I don’t know about others, but really the main view of a club I’m looking for is how does it look when I’m looking down at the thing, these look great from that view, take advantage of that!)

Performance: I’ve now had a lengthy range session where I alternated between my current 7 iron and these 2 7 irons, as well as playing 18 holes where I dropped balls in 7 iron range on a lot of holes just to get to hit these. Going in, I definitely expected to hit these lower than my i10s. On paper, they should definitely fly lower. Their overall weight is noticeably heavier than my i10’s, the DG X-100’s should launch lower than the AWTs, and I would expect these to just fly lower based on their "players club" look. Amazingly, they don’t. They actually fly noticeably higher than my i10’s, but not in a ballooning kind of way. Just a high, flat trajectory. I'm actually concerned now that my i10's are launching a little low and then spinning up too much, something I never would have noticed if I hadn't hit these! Distance wise, the C was pretty much the same as my i10 7 iron. The M, however, actually flew about 3-5 yards further when struck well (I've always thought that nothing was longer than a solidly struck blade). Amazing considering the 1 degree weaker loft. Both also seemed to spin more than my i10s, but that may have been because of the new grooves. Working the ball was a breeze with both the M and C. My i10's tend to want to just fly straight, and definitely prefer a draw over a cut (they're actually almost impossible to hit a big cut with). They are also not real easy to knockdown. The Macgregors could do anything. High, low, draw, fade. I hit all kinds of shots on the course today. On a 148 yard par 3 into a 15 mph wind and with a pin cut far right over a bunker, I hit a beautiful little lower slider into about 10 feet. On a par 5, I had 205 straight downwind to a front pin where my only chance to get it close was to hit a very high approach. I hit a huge, high cut with the M that ended up pin high on the fringe to the right. I was really having fun with these. Really fun clubs if you're someone who hits the ball pretty solid.

Feel: I forgot how good a well struck forged blade can feel. The M just feels so good when struck well. It’s like the ball stick to the face for a second, compresses, then explodes off. The C doesn’t feel quite as good. It feels great, and better than my i10’s, and probably as good as most other forged clubs I've hit, but a super solid shot with the C just doesn’t feel as perfect as the M. The M is in a league of its own. Up there with the one set of Miuras I've hit. I can honestly say I've never hit a club that felt as good as the M feels when flushed.

Overall: I didn’t notice much of a difference in forgiveness between the M and C, so I would go for the M in a heartbeat. They feel a little better, are a little longer when struck well, and damn do they look good. If I had the cash (and wasn't in the process of buying my first house!), I would be ordering a set of M’s in a heartbeat. (Actually, who am I kidding, I'm already scheming a way to buy a set without my wife finding out!) They are just that good. Macgregor and Reid and Todd and all those guys should be very proud.

This post has been edited by patrickw25

Well everybody has been speaking about customer service, and you are right. I loved the idea of the demo give away, and after all the good things I have heard on here, I decided to send an e-mail to Reid. I had some bad luck in the past with club builders, So I asked if I could come down to Macgregor and get fitted by them. Much to my surprise they told me to come on down. I just spent the day at Macgregor golf, took a quick tour and spent close to two hours hitting all the equipment. I put in my order and they should all be here by friday in time for me to go play some golf in Florida next week. I will give a better review with I get a round in with the new sticks.

By the way it only takes 26 min to build a set of clubs. Sorry I didn't take a camera, I didn't feel Like I should push it. I was just happy to get to go down there.

The Mac Pro C's are great clubs. They look great and they feel very good, although at the moment I'm 100 percent back to my MP60s for the following reason. My custom order set (Non DWs) with Nippon 1150s came in at a hair or two lighter than D0 swing weight ( about a C9.9 to be exact) (atleast the 7 and 5 iron I weighed). After swinging clubs that are D2 for years I just couldn't adjust to my Pro Cs. It was extremely disappointing to say the least. I took my mizuno's with me last week on my 6 day Golf trip and hit them better than I ever have. Even realized that they will probably remain in the bag atleast another year. Luckily Mac thinks that my set needs to be adjusted and they are making arrangements to take them back to tweek.

Now if only they will offer that grind that Norman is playing.... :)

:clapping: (LOL!)

Did you see the green and white MacGregor Staff bag his caddie was carrying??? VERY NICE!!!!!!!! Can't wait for THAT to come out.

Right now, I'd be glad to get my Sunset putter that I ordered on March 1st!!!! (Are you listening Reid??? :drinks: )

Right now, I'd be glad to get my Sunset putter that I ordered on March 1st!!!! (Are you listening Reid??? :friends: )

I have a Sarasota on order as well. The explanation from one officer at a dealer is that MacGregor rejected the initial shipment of putter heads for minor quality issues. I for one am glad that they would have such tight Quality Control and impressed that unlike some other OEMs, they would sacrifice some early sales to maintain high standards.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Right now, I'd be glad to get my Sunset putter that I ordered on March 1st!!!! (Are you listening Reid??? :friends: )

I have a Sarasota on order as well. The explanation from one officer at a dealer is that MacGregor rejected the initial shipment of putter heads for minor quality issues. I for one am glad that they would have such tight Quality Control and impressed that unlike some other OEMs, they would sacrifice some early sales to maintain high standards.

I FULLY AGREE!