2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Here are some pics of my new custom grinds guys!! Sorry for the delay had to get a new nikon.

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more...

They are basically a copy of elkingtons 675 grind. They are a sharp heel, semi square toe, standard leading edge, flat sole. They are a D4 and the grind on the sole is an anti-dig grind. They are very thin soled irons with little to no bounce whatsoever. They feel amazing and produce a nice flat trajectory. Feel like butter on pure hits not hateful on mishits.

They are basically a copy of elkingtons 675 grind. They are a sharp heel, semi square toe, standard leading edge, flat sole. They are a D4 and the grind on the sole is an anti-dig grind. They are very thin soled irons with little to no bounce whatsoever. They feel amazing and produce a nice flat trajectory. Feel like butter on pure hits not hateful on mishits.

Beautiful! One question though, is that leading edge really 'standard' ie is that the same leading edge as an off-the rack set, or is it standard for the custom grind? That looks like it would make for some nice shots out of less than perfect lies.

It is a anti-dig leading edge and i requested it from Don.

Had a request for topline and face pics enjoy!

Hey

I skipped directly to the end of this thread so I don't know what the other posts say, but I went to my local golf shop yesterday and Holy Crap everything in the line, with the excption of the hybrid is awsome. The hybrid isn't bad, its just not appealing to my eye. MacGregor will be back on top soon. The line is classic yet has room for forgiveness. The really nice thing for me was I hit everything but the blade, and the players cavity back was really heavy in an era where everything is built super light. The driver I hit was the direct opposite of everything I need in a driver, it was an 11.5 with a regular shaft, but I adjusted so that I could hit it....WOW! No time to hit the wedges, but set up to them and they are tight heads that have a bit of a forward looking leading edge, looks more player like.

The irons are just stunning!

Has anyone have any real play time or tee time with the new Mac Driver? I am really interested to see if anyone has had the chance to play it and has enough time with it to comment?

Thanks

I am interested also. It comes with the DVS standard, has a reasonable MSRP and best of all (to me), has the cup face technology, which at least on my CB2 3 wood, is terrific.

I think MacGregor has a great product line which will only get better given time and money. What an asset in Don White. What is suspect, as far as I am concerned, is the success that MacGregor will have in getting the major stores (Dick's Sporting Goods) to bring in the line to the store. I am near Pittsburgh with Dick's headquarters in my back yard (10 minutes away), and a few of the guys I know have mnajor reservations about the ability to move the product. They too think its a good product but do not think it will sell. Unless something has changed, Dick's is not carrying the new MacGregor product line except for what they have left from last year. Plus, this stagnant economy is only getting worse and with the projected $3.50 per gallon gas price by spring and $4.00 by next year or earlier, things are only looking more grim. Everyone (most) are feeling it.

from my post on 14 feb:

"I have just acquired the new MT 460 driver in 10.5 loft w/Adila DVS 65S shaft. First impression is WOW!! The club has a great appearance at address, a relatively shallow face height, 1* open face angle, and no bias towards draw or fade. I took it to the range today and hit about 30 balls and it continues to impress in a every manner. As soon as I teed up the first ball I realized I was looking at an old friend...the profile of the head is extremely similar to the VIP Titanium driver from the mid nineties, which I played for 7 years. The new club is incredibly easy to hit. It took a few balls to decide how high to tee it up and where it wanted to be at address, and once that was accomplished...blastoff. My swing speed is 105 mph, and on good days I can get to 110. This was a good day. The ball jumps off the club face and flies in a very hot, boring trajectory and has more carry than you think you're going to get. I was carrying the ball past where I normally do with my previous driver (MACTEC 2 Draw 10.5 with the fujikura speeder shaft from the tour version). I even hit four Titleist balls from the tee of a par 5 that is right next to our range and I had to be carrying the ball 10 yards past where I normally land the ball. But the best thing of all was that no matter how hard I hit it, every ball went dead straight or with the slightest fade. Not one single draw...jeez there must really be a Santa Claus. The new shaft from Adila has awesome feel...you can sense it load up and then whip thru the ball at impact. Macgregor has a real winner here."

Since that time I have played about 8 rounds of golf and spent several sessions on the range. The club is consistently long...I almost drove two of the par fours at FSU's Seminole Golf Club that were about 320 yards from the tees we played. I have been getting a hot roll from this driver, I've seen the ball take huge hops on the first bounce in the fairway. I would suggest that you hit the club before you buy it as it has a different feel than any club I've hit. I also noticed that you don't have to jump out of your socks to get a great hit with this thing, swing at about 85-90% and it's money. I even tried hitting it off the deck, but I decided that was pointless as my three wood is huge off the tee and fairway. Give the club a try, it's a great performer and it doesn't look like robocop.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Thanks to "67VIP" for the driver response and photos. Wow, that is really nice looking and it sounds like you are pleased with the club.

I appreciate the feedback.

As also noted, I am also from Pittsburgh, no one here is carrying these clubs. They also just closed the only Golf Galaxy store we had. There is not anylonger any golf shops here that carry pro line type equipment that I am aware of.

Macgregor really has their work cut out for them relative to sales, marketing... but they again have equipment that is worth fighting for!

Wow I might have to take a look at the driver if I can find one to hit.

Anyways, I just received my irons today. Wow they are the most beautifull irons I have ever seen I think. Pro M with S300s. I am in Cleveland and the only carriers/resellers are two very private country clubs that would not work with me.

I will post pics if necessary or requested although they wont be any different than the others im sure. I cant hit them its snowing and I need to do some alterations to them. Maybe one day this weekend Hopefully. Just by looking at them I am confident I can hit any shot I want with them.

I am glad you guys appreciate the review. I have been a MacGregor nut for almost 15 years now, ever since I went to the factory outlet store on Slappy Drive. I asked to see the then brand new VIP Tour CB92 irons (which is what the new MT Pro C is based on) and was taken into the back and shown multiple boxes by the warehouse manager. I know I'm Joe Nobody, but they have never treated me that way...and I have pestered the customer service dept on a regular basis ever since. They answered every question, including some off the wall ones. Everything in my bag is Mac for a reason...it works for me. I've tried other clubs and nothing has ever come close for me except a couple of drivers who shall remain nameless...and neither started with Cal or Tay. I can state with all certainty that I will never play anybody else's irons...unless Mac goes out of business, but that's why I have 4 sets. A forged mac iron is in a class by itself, in my humble opinion. The guys at my part time golf gig raz me unmercifully about carrying all Mac equip...to include hat, towel, umbrella, and bag. When they kept it up I even called the local Mac rep and got some shirts w/Mac logos just to tick them off.

One thing that I will say that needs imrpovement...drastic improvement...is that MacGregor needs to initiate a big time marketing campaign, sign some young guns to rep them on tour...including some of the ladies, and annouce their presence with authority in the retail market. I was just in Albany at a family gathering...over 50 people attending...most living in Albany...and not a soul new Mac was still in business, much less still in Albany. Almost all thought MacGregor went out of business when they moved out to the industrial park across from the airport. One...who plays golf...thought they had gone out of business after the move. None new Greg Norman had taken over and put $50 million dollars in the company. My jaw just about fell to the floor.

Reid...you guys have a great history in the game of golf & you have alot of fabulous new products this year. You also have Don White, Bobby Grace, Greg Norman, and a host of good people working for you. Go forth & kick a**...show everybody what the REAL MacGregor is all about. I can't even begin to express how much I would enjoy watching yall take apart the big three...that would be about as good as this dream I have about Traci Lords and....never mind.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Macgreor has had some of the best products ever and some of the worst marketing...ever. 67VIP is right: Mac has to get the name back out in the public and the only way to do it is by having it on some players hats; not by placing an advertisement in Golf magazine. All these great new products will go down the crapper if they don't.

I think MacGregor has a great product line which will only get better given time and money. What an asset in Don White. What is suspect, as far as I am concerned, is the success that MacGregor will have in getting the major stores (Dick's Sporting Goods) to bring in the line to the store. I am near Pittsburgh with Dick's headquarters in my back yard (10 minutes away), and a few of the guys I know have mnajor reservations about the ability to move the product. They too think its a good product but do not think it will sell. Unless something has changed, Dick's is not carrying the new MacGregor product line except for what they have left from last year. Plus, this stagnant economy is only getting worse and with the projected $3.50 per gallon gas price by spring and $4.00 by next year or earlier, things are only looking more grim. Everyone (most) are feeling it.

I would hate to see Dick's pick up the MacGregor line. The entire Dick's operation just leaves me cold. I think the future for MacGregor will lie in its ability to penetrate green grass retailers and pro shops, where customization and a strong demo program can help sell the product. Let Dick's push their frankenstein TM clubs to their target audience, which are the polar opposite of who MacGregor is appealing to.