NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone hit the new driver yet? Would like some feedback on how it was.

I hit the driver at the PGA show and if there was a least desirable booth location at the outdoor demo day, MacGregor had it. It's not their fault, blame mother nature. You see, lots of people were so happy at how easily they turned over the ball with the new Nike drivers...of course, you were hitting into a stiff right to left wind. With MacGregor, it was the opposite side of the range and the wind was nice slicer wind...a recipe for bad impressions if you will....but the new MacGregor driver really keeps the spin down. I was able to hold the line and have a nice trajectory with their driver and not worried about the 20 mph cross wind. Maybe some of the credit goes to Aldila as the drivers were shafted up with the latest Aldila DVS (which feels pretty good), but I suspect most credit goes to just a solid design from Macgregor. It's really a no frills (see MacTec) driver with a solid look at address and solid performance.

I had an opportunity to play with a set last week and they are definite contenders to remove my Nike blades from the bag. I have a set waiting for me in another location but this was an opportunity to play with a set. Just a note for those that may not know it---the lengths of their irons appears to be at least 1/4 longer per each iron than the lengths that others use as standard. Keep that in mind if you are thinking about ordering a longer set.

Sandy, I assume you were playing with the Pro-Ms? Even though they would be too much club for me it would be great to hear your in-depth thoughts on them and we can make inferences as to how the Pro-Cs would differ....

You mention in your profile that you are looking for a 4-wood. The new MacGregor MT fairway woods have a 16.5 4-wood in the line. Definately worth a look.

Sandy, I assume you were playing with the Pro-Ms? Even though they would be too much club for me it would be great to hear your in-depth thoughts on them and we can make inferences as to how the Pro-Cs would differ....

Yes, they are the pro Ms (muscle back), but keep in mind the cavity backs appear to be the same shape and size but with the machined cavity back.

I not longer spend the time and effort to post long reviews here because it is just becomes a contest for the dimwits to see who can post "this thread is worthless without pictures". That is much more important to win that contest instead of discussing clubs.

In the form of a short review, they have a very soft feel, seem to be slightly longer than my Nike Blades (but that could be the longer shaft lengths), seem to be slightly shorter heel to toe than the Nike Blades, trajectory is about the same. Good quality workmanship, although the set I used seemed to have slight chrome discoloration on a few of the hosels.

I was at a show this weekend, and I hit both the pro-c, and the pro-m. They are both phenominal, the sweetest feeling forge I have felt in quite some time. Everything from the top line to the sole grinds were gorgeous. Think I am going to have to go with a combo set!

Also hit the wedges, and oncwe again awesome! Just hitting regular range balls and skinning them. The grooves on these are something else. Profile of a vokey and the bite of a cally mack daddy.

The issue with there product is who will carry it? As a past rep of MacGregor I really believe they make a good product but it doesn't sell and it still won't. No marketing, no advertising only the people on here even care about there products. Lets face it 99.9 percent of people don't even know they have a new product line coming out and no one will. Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith or Dicks will not carry the product because of lack of sell through over the past 5 years. These products will probably be discounted in 6 months and they will have to another direction. I hope you guys that buy them really like them because this is a sinking ship that will be at the bottom of the ocean with the titantic sooner than later.

Yes, they are the pro Ms (muscle back), but keep in mind the cavity backs appear to be the same shape and size but with the machined cavity back.

I not longer spend the time and effort to post long reviews here because it is just becomes a contest for the dimwits to see who can post "this thread is worthless without pictures". That is much more important to win that contest instead of discussing clubs.

In the form of a short review, they have a very soft feel, seem to be slightly longer than my Nike Blades (but that could be the longer shaft lengths), seem to be slightly shorter heel to toe than the Nike Blades, trajectory is about the same. Good quality workmanship, although the set I used seemed to have slight chrome discoloration on a few of the hosels.

That to bad you feel so negative about posting long reviews here. I aways look forward to hearing your comments. As you know i have a set coming and was keeping an eye on this thread.

However the Nike blades were in the bag for a while Sandy. Good for MacGregor they could be replaced. Says something about the new offerings. "Very soft feel, and good workmanship". How are the grinds for you? I also like the head shape and the offset. Real solid fit for the eye.

I hit the cb and loved the feel. Just flat out loved the feel.

The issue with there product is who will carry it? As a past rep of MacGregor I really believe they make a good product but it doesn't sell and it still won't. No marketing, no advertising only the people on here even care about there products. Lets face it 99.9 percent of people don't even know they have a new product line coming out and no one will. Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith or Dicks will not carry the product because of lack of sell through over the past 5 years. These products will probably be discounted in 6 months and they will have to another direction. I hope you guys that buy them really like them because this is a sinking ship that will be at the bottom of the ocean with the titantic sooner than later.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. I was looking forward to a demo through golfclubdemo.com, but just found out that they are not on their website now but they were last year. The vast majority of the golfing public, when they buy OEM (vs. knockoffs - can't believe how many I see in bags at outings!), gravitate towards TM, Callaway, Nike or Ping. It would take someone pretty hardcore and knowledgeable to track down and purchase a set of MacGregors. I would also hazard a guess that many golfers today do not remember MacGregor from their glory days. My first introduction to them was as a cheapo brand found in the outlet bin.

So far I think you are right. Of all the dealers I've talked to a lot are inclined to carry one of the game improvement clubs and a few woods but not the forgings. They all have said they would readily order the forgings but don't plan on stocking them. That kind of hurts in the demo area I would think.

That to bad you feel so negative about posting long reviews here. I aways look forward to hearing your comments. As you know i have a set coming and was keeping an eye on this thread.

However the Nike blades were in the bag for a while Sandy. Good for MacGregor they could be replaced. Says something about the new offerings. "Very soft feel, and good workmanship". How are the grinds for you? I also like the head shape and the offset. Real solid fit for the eye.

The grinds seemed fine for me just the standard set up. I had an opportunity to get a custom set like you are but declined because I have too many custom sets sitting on the shelf (including 4 Mac sets) and I've found that the standard set up is just fine for my game. That way I don't get something that I get intrigued with grind wise and then can't live with long term. I hope yours work well for you. I'm not a big fan of the wedges as they seem to have more of a rounded shape than I like. That may be an area I would check into a custom grind if the set makes the cut...

I see Macgregor doing doing one of two things: Either get a full exposure on TV by signing new players (Which they aren't doing anymore) or head to the after market segment and be another KZG. However, I wouldn't put it past Greg Norman to have a trick or two up his sleeve. I just can't believe he would just invest his money into a company, release all new products and then hide them from the public like they are doing now. Something has to be up.

The grinds seemed fine for me just the standard set up. I had an opportunity to get a custom set like you are but declined because I have too many custom sets sitting on the shelf (including 4 Mac sets) and I've found that the standard set up is just fine for my game. That way I don't get something that I get intrigued with grind wise and then can't live with long term. I hope yours work well for you. I'm not a big fan of the wedges as they seem to have more of a rounded shape than I like. That may be an area I would check into a custom grind if the set makes the cut...

Good to hear that the grinds of the standard setup is working for you. I have Nike Blades in the bag as well and I can't find anything to knock those out of the bag yet....I just need to hit the Pro-M's to see how these work. Look forward to hearing more reviews from you guys later.

While these heads are great. An I mean great I dont think much is going to happen unless we see some tour presence. Who do they have?

Also, I thought these heads were going to be avail in December. Are they available yet? We are in Feb.

Just wondering, do you buy according to what tour players are playing? I've never given it much thought, but I guess some people do pay attention to that.

While these heads are great. An I mean great I dont think much is going to happen unless we see some tour presence. Who do they have?

Also, I thought these heads were going to be avail in December. Are they available yet? We are in Feb.

Just wondering, do you buy according to what tour players are playing? I've never given it much thought, but I guess some people do pay attention to that.

Hello? Explain to me why TM pays $5,000.00 a tournament to play the TM driver for non TM staff? Why would they do that? Branding and marketing 101 stuff here. It isnt me I am woried about. It is the non informed.

I am going to play the MacGregor cb's, Callaway X-forged, Mizuno mp57's or the Bridgestone J36's this year. I am looking for a forgiving players blade/cavity back. Those are in the mix right now. I have hit all of them and they are a close draw.

My point is that Mac has something very special in Don White and there a so few good craftsman around anymore since the trade moved oversees. Don has a reputation in the industry. Mac needs tour presence like everyone else to make it. It works. People buy what they see on tour. That is a fact.