NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

[quote name='easyyy' post='838381' date='Dec 27 2007, 12:27 PM'][quote name='uncle rico' post='838331' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:47 AM']What an experience Richard. I have always wanted to go to MacGregor and get the personal treatment on a set of irons. You lucky SOB.[/quote]

I didn't go down there. I did it over the phone. Still it has been a great experience and I haven't even gotten the equipment yet. For us equipment junkies it is a perfect match. Again my excitement for this is in the honeymoon phase.
[/quote]

I think I understand the different head grind options, but what about the rest of the assembly process? Wider array of shafts and grips, built to your specific frequency, etc? Guess what I am asking is, is the build process up to the same level as the grind process?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody,

just wanted to let you know that concerning woods and hybrids, I really loved the design of the MacTec NVG2 stuff. The new ones look boring.... absolutely no appeal to me. But thats just imho.... and I seem to be the only one around here with that oppinion. :busted2:

What about the performance of the high-handicapper irons, woods and hybrids? Will they still be as forgiving as the NVG2 range? Are all those techy tweaks like cupface 360 etc. going to be dropped or is it just that they are not advertised anymore like with the techy MacTec NVG2 line?

Regards
D

I had an opportunity to hit all of the new irons for 2008 with the exception of the muscleback a couple of weeks back. One thing I can assure you of is that the performance and forgiveness of the MT Mid and MT oversize will not fall short of anything you may have seen out of the NVG2 iron offerings. Aside from what I see as improved aesthetics, the cup face technology is amazing with regard to it's performance on off center hits. As I mentioned in my post on page 17/18 of this thread, I intentionally hit shots off of the toe and heel of the MT Pro, MT Mid and the oversize club with minimal loss of distance and accuracy. Also, the cupface clubs seem to be AT LEAST a full club longer than anything else I've hit to this point. Long story longer, I think you will be very, very impressed. As for me, I will be looking for a full bag of the new Macgregor equipment as soon as it becomes available. I've played essentially the same set up for the last 5 years, so that's saying something.

I wonder with all the demands from the golf show and the tour staff and the retail for custom grinds, how would DW handle it?
Either there would be a tremendous waiting period or DW would have to get some help ( which means not every set is hand grind by him personally ).
Could you imagine the worldwide demands on something like this?

[quote name='sandy' post='841070' date='Dec 29 2007, 01:33 PM'][quote name='easyyy' post='838381' date='Dec 27 2007, 12:27 PM'][quote name='uncle rico' post='838331' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:47 AM']What an experience Richard. I have always wanted to go to MacGregor and get the personal treatment on a set of irons. You lucky SOB.[/quote]

I didn't go down there. I did it over the phone. Still it has been a great experience and I haven't even gotten the equipment yet. For us equipment junkies it is a perfect match. Again my excitement for this is in the honeymoon phase.
[/quote]

Richard did they give you any hint as to where they will be getting them chromed? I could care less where they are forged as virtually every forger is now producing quality products (sorry Miura fanatics), but the chroming can be a deal breaker--particularly if it is in the U.S. It isn't the U.S. companies fault just the EPA requirements on recycling the plating baths has made a durable product very suspect recently (of those very few that still have their licenses) in the U.S.... I suppose the longer you wait the better-----possibly meaning they have been shipped to China for chroming.

[/quote]

No idea actually. I will ask.

However Sandy I am in the automotive biz and am aware of the epa regulations. The non automotive chroming companies have not been effected enough to go off shore yet. The issues with chroming is the "Hexavalent chromium" being hazard over the alternative trivalent chromiums that show darker that the Hex. If you arnt in automotive OHSA has proposed (not passed) tightening up of standards. So as of now non automotive can still chrome like always. Harley Davidson's is still chroming with Hexavalent Chromium in the states. While dirty it can be manged and wasted handled appropriately at a heavy cost.

I got the chance to hit the new CB's today. My initial impression was - wow! My 'in the bag' clubs are black blades from Feel Golf. I don't have a lot of experience with CB's, but I found these to be very solid. The shafts were S-300's. The top line is relative thin and not offensive at all. The ball flight was slightly lower than my blades. which I liked. As the guy in the next stall said, "Those sound really good!" I'm waiting for the gunmetal muscle backs and CB's to come out in a couple of months. All in all, very impressive. I'm pleased to see MacGregor back with some quality products. This was one of the premier producers back in the day.

[quote name='Redhaze737' post='844063' date='Dec 31 2007, 11:43 PM']I got the chance to hit the new CB's today. My initial impression was - wow! My 'in the bag' clubs are black blades from Feel Golf. I don't have a lot of experience with CB's, but I found these to be very solid. The shafts were S-300's. The top line is relative thin and not offensive at all. The ball flight was slightly lower than my blades. which I liked. As the guy in the next stall said, "Those sound really good!" I'm waiting for the gunmetal muscle backs and CB's to come out in a couple of months. All in all, very impressive. I'm pleased to see MacGregor back with some quality products. This was one of the premier producers back in the day.[/quote]

How were you able to hit them?

Are you hooked up or are they starting to hit the shops?

[quote name='tervin1' post='839170' date='Dec 27 2007, 10:18 PM']Well it looks like my tax refund is going towards a new set of wedges after seeing the raw heads. Easyyy that may be the best looking set of blades I have ever see and I envy you.[/quote]

Please explain what a "tax refund" is. :russian_roulette:

I've never experienced such a thing and I've lived a long, long time. :)

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[attachment=203136:DSCN0690.jpg][quote name='easyyy' post='832203' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:31 PM'][quote name='sandy' post='831960' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:28 PM'][quote name='LeftyPwr' post='830998' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:14 PM']This may be a repeat, but how does one go about ordering a custom set of Mac's?

Rob[/quote]

$2000-$10000 from the past depending on how "custom" you want. You would have the local shop/rep. (don't know if they have reps everywhere yet) make the contact for you. I have 4 sets that have ranged from the cheapest to the most expensive (which used to include a trip to MacGregor and work with their clubmakers---this may not be possible anymore however). In those days you left without clubs but the raw heads ground to your swing--they then polished and finished them (chromed), final assembled them and then shipped them to you. Since that (decent chroming---please don't say the iron factory) is virtually non existent in the U.S. anymore I don't know if they offer this degree of service customization anymore.
[/quote]
[size=2]
I should know, I am in process of ordering a set. About half way through. Cost is aprox $250.00 a club or 2k for 3-pw shafted up. Not bad considering the heads are hand ground and custom made by legendary Don White himself. Proof by the traditional "DW" stampings on the sole. A fingerprint of his time spent shaping your heads. I mean this guy is a legend. 12 majors says a lot and many of us know who he is.

In short Reid had me talk to Scott in MacGregor's sales office to start the custom program. I think yo just call the 1 800 number at MacGregor. There is a matrix I attached in this post that has all the options. I choose what I wanted, filled out the form and emailed it to Scott. He called me with in a day and arranged a conference call w/ the 2 of us and Mr. Don White.

Then the 3 of us talked through the options I choose (why, what, how, when). The conference call was great and I tried to tell him that I was looking for a specific bounce and grind. I wanted a thin topline, no offset, squarish toe, cambered sole and some anti digging leading edges. Not to severe but I was looking for something to accommodate a steeper swing that I have. I told him of a few soles that were to sharp and we talked it through for at least a half an hour all the different grinds.

Then we talked about the looks. I sent him a picture of [/size][size=2]Aaron Baddeley's heads and asked for the exact same stampings and finish. I also asked for the same topline (which was standard not thin) and toe (which was simi square not square). After that we talked shaft, swingweight, grips, lengths, loft and lie. Since I knew my specs most of my interest was focused on the grinds and they were both very humble and took plenty of time to talk with me.

Then Don made 3 raw heads (3,6,9 irons) and sent them to me to approve the grinds. [/size][size=2]I received them approved them and sent them back. He then finishes the remaining heads in the set, stamps, sends out for finishing, assembles the sets to my specs and ships them.

Here is what I had received last week. The grinds where unique to anything I have ever seen. The soles had a leading edge grind that Don called his "Killed" leading edge that looked like a modified M grind. The center of the cambered sole had the leading edge rolled into the sole. While the heel and toe were preserved. Difficult to show in Pictures and in words.

Here are some of the raw heads sent for approval...
[/size]

[/quote]

What do you think of these?

I PM'd Mr. Gorman a couple weeks ago, and he put me in contact with one of their sales managers. That gentleman has emailed me indicating that, at least in my area of the country (Cincinnati, OH), the reps will be getting their full stock of samples in early/mid February. Likely due to us not being "in season" right now.

I would think that in some warmer areas of the country, at least the reps probably have a pretty full stock of samples. As far as stores though, I doubt they'll be stocked until maybe the PGA show is over.

[quote name='CooGAR' post='847617' date='Jan 3 2008, 06:36 PM']Have the MacGregors hit the market yet??? I thought they were going to be int he stores in Dec. 15th.......[/quote]

Hi everyone...Happy New Year!

Just wanted to provide a quick update to availability of the new products as it appears there are some questions about this. We have the MT Pro-C, Pro-M and Pro "DW" wedges in stock now and they have started to ship. The wedges in Gunmetal have arrived in 56/12 and 60/8. The new MT Fairway Woods and Hybrids also just arrived. All of these products can ship to your favorite golf shop ASAP. We will be fully in stock with all new products by 2/1 (including drivers and game improvement iron models) with the exception of Senior and Women's versions (mid-Feb.). Bobby Grace's new DCT putters will hit the market in mid-March (pictures available after the PGA Show).

Our sales team is out showing the new products and booking orders with Retail and Green Grass Customers around the country. The response has been phenomenal once people see and hit the product in person. If you want to get your hands on some of the new products, just have your preferred golf shop/pro shop give us a call. The phone # for our Customer Service department is 800-841-4358.

Thanks again for your interest in our new products and please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Take care,

Reid Gorman
President
MacGregor Golf
[[email protected]][email protected][/email]

One question I have for you Mr. Gorman, I understand Golf Galaxy is not going to be carrying your products this year. I frankly feel that is a huge mistake, but they seemed to have their reasons.
I also understand that my Golf Galaxy store here in Pittsburgh is closing. Can you tell me is Dick's Sporting Goods would be a retail outlet that may carry your full line????

Thanks,
Mike
Pittsburgh, PA

Add me as another excited customer to the list. Currently I have a new set of the DW stock Gunmetal Wedges on order, with DG S400's in them... 54.10 and 60.08 - Stamped OAKS.

Cannot wait for them to get here!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

It's only another week until the Merchandise show. I'm sure they feel that would be the proper place to unveil there complete 08 line of products. We here have just been fortunate to get a sneak peak at most of it.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I just got my prototypes custom grind samples and they are amazing looking. So far it has been an unbelievable experience and can't wait to get my finished irons. I will try to post pics later.

Ryan

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

[quote name='rnolan79' post='854408' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:56 AM']I just got my prototypes custom grind samples and they are amazing looking. So far it has been an unbelievable experience and can't wait to get my finished irons. I will try to post pics later.

Ryan[/quote]

"No. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Something a Jedi master once told me.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

LOL! I will get them up tonight.

Here are some pics. They are not great but I did not have much time. 8 iron and 4 iron. These have the semi-square toe, and are modified copies of the Elkington grind.

Ryan

I saw a set last week that a rep. had and while they are very good looking and a return to MacGregors heyday I think they will need to produce something a little larger to have mass appeal. Both the muscle back and cavity back (which I was told is basically the same shape just machined) are very small heel to toe compared to todays irons.. The game improvement irons looked very good but they are facing an uphill battle here with Callaway, Adams, and Ping. A great return to the past but I fear they will need to produce a forged club that is at least 7-10% larger to have widespread appeal (GolfWrx members aside)... :drinks:

i believe one of my favorite manfacturers, prior to going under, did a study and found a really well designed set of forged irons plays as well as a forged cavity back. unfortunatly ACCUFORM is long gone from their days wheb davis love iii and joey sindilar used them. my point is i dont think they need to be biggere, then they are just clunky looking like the x20 tours.