NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

[quote name='sandy' post='801452' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:49 PM'][quote name='jamesghirsch' post='801286' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:48 PM']Reid:

Can you comment on whether the hosels of the irons are welded to the heads or if they are one pice construction. Most manufacturers are using 2 piece construction techniques today.

Thanks[/quote]

Who other than Miura (holy grail) uses welded hosels??? Not Mizuno, Not Titleist, Not Callaway, Not Taylor Made, Not Nike, Not Cobra, Not TEE, Not Bridgestone/Precept/Tourstage, Not Tiger :D . Or is this just a sneaky way of asking if Miura is doing the forging? If they are it would only be the 2-9 because the wedges they show don't look like ditch digging tools with .21 offset.....
[/quote]

I am not sure about the new MT's, but their M685 are not done by Miura. Mac said they use an independent Japanese company and can't disclose the source for R&D reasons. It's good to know they were done in Japan and not in China. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy:

Actually, I couldn't care less who does the forging. I know that Titleist and Callaway are both welding the head to the hosel. As far as I know the only 2 manufacturers that are forging the head as one piece are Mizuno and Miura. I am unsure as to what MacGregor has done in the past with their forgings but am just interested in what they are doing with these clubs.

[quote name='MT-PRO' post='799193' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:41 AM'][size=3][b]MT PRO-C[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...CNC milled cavity back...Tour inspired shaping...Stock shafts are either Nippon NS PRO 1150GH or Dynamic Gold S300...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $799. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for lower handicap golfers. Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b]

[b]MT PRO-M[/b] - same as PRO-C except the design is a milled muscle back. Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b]

[b]MT PRO-C/M[/b] - combines long irons of PRO-C with short irons or PRO-M (typically this will be 3-6 PRO-C and 7-W PRO-M...but we can do whatever the Customer wants). Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b][/size]

[b]MT PRO "DW" Wedges[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...Tour inspired shaping designed by Hall of Fame craftsman Don White...Stock shaft is Dynamic Gold...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $109. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for any golfer looking for a traditional wedge designed by a legend whose clubs have won 12 major championships. Available 50º/6 ºB, 52º/6ºB, 54º/10ºB, 56º/12ºB, 56º/8ºB, 58º/10ºB, 60º/8ºB, 60º/12ºB. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand version available in 56º/12ºB and 60º/8ºB starting in mid-March[/color][/u].[/b] MT PRO Wedges will have a custom logo program for corporate business or tournament prize opportunities.[/quote]

Someone please call me an ambulance....I'm having a [u]MAJOR[/u] [color="#008000"][b]"MAC ATTACK"!!![/b][/color] :D

[quote name='Spin Doctor' post='801928' date='Nov 25 2007, 05:10 PM'][quote name='MT-PRO' post='799193' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:41 AM'][size=3][b]MT PRO-C[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...CNC milled cavity back...Tour inspired shaping...Stock shafts are either Nippon NS PRO 1150GH or Dynamic Gold S300...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $799. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for lower handicap golfers. Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b]

[b]MT PRO-M[/b] - same as PRO-C except the design is a milled muscle back. Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b]

[b]MT PRO-C/M[/b] - combines long irons of PRO-C with short irons or PRO-M (typically this will be 3-6 PRO-C and 7-W PRO-M...but we can do whatever the Customer wants). Men's only, available 3-W. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand coming in mid-March[/color][/u][/b][/size]

[b]MT PRO "DW" Wedges[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...Tour inspired shaping designed by Hall of Fame craftsman Don White...Stock shaft is Dynamic Gold...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $109. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for any golfer looking for a traditional wedge designed by a legend whose clubs have won 12 major championships. Available 50º/6 ºB, 52º/6ºB, 54º/10ºB, 56º/12ºB, 56º/8ºB, 58º/10ºB, 60º/8ºB, 60º/12ºB. [b][u][color="#FF0000"]Left Hand version available in 56º/12ºB and 60º/8ºB starting in mid-March[/color][/u].[/b] MT PRO Wedges will have a custom logo program for corporate business or tournament prize opportunities.[/quote]

Someone please call me an ambulance....I'm having a [u]MAJOR[/u] [color="#008000"][b]"MAC ATTACK"!!![/b][/color] :)
[/quote]

Is there room for two in that ambulance? :D

Those are fricken sweet.

The only picture I have a BIT of a problem with though is this one:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=181064"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?ac...t&id=181064[/url]

Too rounded for my taste...on the topline. Otherwise A+. Low offset, thin topline...etc. I just don't like the roundedness of that club. (I assume it is about a 9 iron?)

It's interesting though cause I find it's always the PW or short irons in general that turn me off of a set.

Those long clubs are beautiful though.

Well i must say with 100 per certainty i will be purchasing the MT-PRO M and C, or the combo set, and i'll gladly spend my dollars at a company that has a president who is willing to offer such assistance and insight on this board. Well done Macgregor....please put this LEFTY at the top of the pre order list:)

I was seriously considering ordering a set of Ping i-10s over the winter, but the pics of MT-PRO Cs has me doubting that this would be a good move. These are some of the most beautiful irons I have ever seen... That, and full custom options.....wow.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I just discovered this thread and frankly am shocked at how nice the irons and wedges look. :D And using the DW name for marketing is overdue IMO. Not only would I be interested in something from Macgregor for the first time, but if the pro c's are offered in gunmetal, that would seal the deal. Where can I make a deposit?

I have been following this thread for weeks and just wanted to add a little bit. First these irons look amazing. Second, the stuff about Don White is really interesting. Most interesting to me was finally confirming what I thought to be true...... That my favorite irons of all time, some Cobra Greg Norman blades were actually Macgregors. I have been hunting for that same sole grind since then. I wonder if I could just tell the custom grind department to make a set of the Pro-Ms with the same sole and topline as the Normans? Anybody know if they have the grind info on file at Macgregor? Reid, anyone else? I also found DWs comments about Jack Nicklaus's irons interesting. I have a set of Nicklaus Golf JNPs (I believe also made by Macgregor) and they are great on hard and fast golf courses and keep finding their way back into my bag, but when it gets soggy and wet, well they dig.... alot. Anyway, good luck to Macgregor, it sure looks like they are headed in a positive direction :D

[quote name='flounder' post='803537' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:28 AM']Is this the one for the higer HCs?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126809"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126809[/url][/quote]

As the link indicated the picture was of the MT. If you read Reids full post there are three clubs in the MT range.

MT- Mid to low handicappers- Pictured
MT Mid (midsize)- Mid to higher Handicappers- No picture yet
MT OS (oversize)- High Handicaps- No picture yet

My guess is that these will need to be the ones that sell by the truck load if they are to get back on track in terms of market presence.

Just had a look at that line up again, this must be close to the most clubs ever released, more or less at one time by a OEM. I think thats about six sets of irons, two sets of wedges, driver, fairway wood, and hybrids, and some putters. Thats a big effort to reinvent yourself, 11 new clubs/ sets + putters. Hope it comes off, they look great.

[quote name='arfrizzell' post='803825' date='Nov 27 2007, 03:58 AM']Just had a look at that line up again, this must be close to the most clubs ever released, more or less at one time by a OEM. I think thats about six sets of irons, two sets of wedges, driver, fairway wood, and hybrids, and some putters. Thats a big effort to reinvent yourself, 11 new clubs/ sets + putters. Hope it comes off, they look great.[/quote]

good point. it takes taylormade at least three months to put out that many products in it's biannual release cycle. i just want taylormade to do well. :D

on the other hand, macgregor is hardly reinventing themselves. more like reconnecting with their roots. despite some solid technology driving the products, mactec seemed to be a flop. the only good v-foils were the putters. the irons looked weird in the bags, almost neo-retro, which never works out well. this new release should appeal to the traditionalists who grew up with these irons. the competitive pricing will put them in league with everyone else, especially when combined with the premium shaft, grip options, and forged/cnc construction. but the custom options for the more elite(ist) players as well as the cheaper, more user-friendly options for the average joes will help put macgregor back into relevance. seems that macgregor's doing everything wilson should have done.

Firstly I must agree with the majority of the comments in this thread and say how fabulous these products look. It would be great to see Macgregor back in their rightful place in the industry.

I have a question for Reid ( or anyone else who can answer it). I am a lefty living in England, can you confirm if the new MT Pro c/m irons will be with us in Mid march, as well as the US, as I am keen to get some on order.

Hi Reid,

Thanks for all the exciting information on MacGregor's new products! As you can tell from my screen name, I am a MacGregor fan and have been for many years. Others have mentioned the lack of diamonds on the face of the "MT" irons. You have alluded to other products to debut later in 2008 that may use the diamonds on the iron faces. Would these possibly carry the "VIP" name? If Macgregor is resurrecting the MT name on its new player's line, perhaps there will be something even more special in store when the VIP line is brought back. Am I close?

Will MacGregor be on the floor at the PGA Show in January, and will these beauties be there?

[quote name='arfrizzell' post='803819' date='Nov 27 2007, 02:42 AM'][quote name='flounder' post='803537' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:28 AM']Is this the one for the higer HCs?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126809"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126809[/url][/quote]

As the link indicated the picture was of the MT. If you read Reids full post there are three clubs in the MT range.

MT- Mid to low handicappers- Pictured
MT Mid (midsize)- Mid to higher Handicappers- No picture yet
MT OS (oversize)- High Handicaps- No picture yet

My guess is that these will need to be the ones that sell by the truck load if they are to get back on track in terms of market presence.
[/quote]

[b]afrizzell[/b] - you are a patient person.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Is it just me or does Macgregor and Aaron Baddeley seem to be a very popular subject on GolfWrx? Seems like Macgregor is on their way to the top!!!

Any idea when the pics of the driver and putters are gunna be up?

and what woods are in Baddeley's bag???? We need some input from the big man

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

Kenny Nicholson here from Edwin Watts Golf Corporate office in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. 800-874-0146 ext. 169
I personally spoke to Reid Gorman from MacGregor on Tuesday and he said the new irons will be available on the 15th of Dec. This will be only for the two forged models and the new wedges. They look awesome and we are really excited about the possibilities. I personally think they have hit a home run with this new product launch.

Reid,
I hope you and your family had a good Thanksgiving.
Thank you for sharing more of the 2008 MacGregor line with us here at GolfWRX. It's a certainty that I will have a set of the combo irons and wedges in my bag come this spring, and I can't wait to try the driver, fairway woods and hybrids when they hit the local shops. I've never had a bag full of the same manufacturer's clubs, but there's a first time for everything.
Can you tell us if the ferrules or hosels are going to be serial numbered?

Cheers,
Harry

Reid,

I just thought of this..not sure if you can address it here or not.

With the push to do more custom work, and the possibility of more custom grinds, will that mean there are separate productions of heads for "standard" sets, and another run of heavier heads that will allow for custom grinding? I absolutely love those killed leading edges that DW does on the tour clubs. However, grinding of course lightens the heads.

I know sets of DW ground heads have been available in the past. Can you tell us if such sets are custom runs of heavier heads?

I just ordered my set of custom grinds from Macgregor and Don White is handgrinding them. Reid and Don and Scott from Macgregor have been amazing to work with. There custom grind program is unreal. Anything you can think of they will do. I will post pics when I get them in. In terms of customer service and quality I cannot think of another company that would go to these lengths for the general public.

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in