NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original post looks like the cavities are a smoother finish in the CB. I can't say I appreciate the milling on these. Makes them look unfinished. Personal tastes I guess, but "mill marks" in the cavity don't do a thing for me. If, however, it means the head weights are more consistent because the heads are fully CNC milled, then I am all for it!

277 posts and the thick end of 18000 views...

I think MacGregor are on the right track with a return to more traditional lines.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

It would be great if MacGregor would come out with an 8802 style putter something simple and classic just like the new blades.

Blasphemy! Ironmaster Style. :cheesy:

I think this would fit right in.

Nice one Harry, but I'd love if they just redid this one again. :good:

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

Great idea guys! Thanks for the feedback, we'll get to work on it!

Reid.

The original post looks like the cavities are a smoother finish in the CB. I can't say I appreciate the milling on these. Makes them look unfinished. Personal tastes I guess, but "mill marks" in the cavity don't do a thing for me. If, however, it means the head weights are more consistent because the heads are fully CNC milled, then I am all for it!

Mr. Divots,

The pictures that have been posted here are of very early prototypes. The milling on the finished product will be extremely precise and very attractive. In fact, in addition to the back cavity...the faces and square grooves of each iron are also precision CNC milled so the tolerances are minimal from club to club. We are using the same milling process on the MT Pro-M and MT "DW" wedges.

Thanks, Reid.

Reid,

The irons look awesome! I think the milled faces really make the irons look great and is like icing on the cake for me. I am already sold on the CB's and I cannot wait until they are available for sale.

As soon as you have something to share on a new driver ( assuming one is coming ) please share it with us.

My plan is to become a full MacGregor bag for this upcoming year.

Mike

Pittsburgh, PA

I can see it now...

Irons: Gunmetal Cavity with Project X

Wedges Gunmetal DW Wedges

Putter: Bobby Grace Fat Lady

The woods are still up for grabs, but if they are low spin low launch... count me in!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Mr. Divots,

The pictures that have been posted here are of very early prototypes. The milling on the finished product will be extremely precise and very attractive. In fact, in addition to the back cavity...the faces and square grooves of each iron are also precision CNC milled so the tolerances are minimal from club to club. We are using the same milling process on the MT Pro-M and MT "DW" wedges.

Thanks, Reid.

Reid,

Thanks for the response. I know many folks are excited about the look of these irons (myself included) and hope that the attention to detail on the production side is done in a way to make these sets something special. Hopefully with tight specs as far as head weights, and perhaps making these heads available to reputable clubmakers for assembly, there would be reason for people to choose these over other brands. Golf consumers, thanks to boards like these, are becoming very educated and aware of the importance of a well-built set of clubs. While not everyone will necessarily desire a set of fully "blueprinted" irons, the availability of such an option would be much-appreciated.

Perhaps it has already come up in this thread, (too many pages to go through at this point) but will MacGregor have any sort of program in place to sell to clubfitters for custom assembly? I know as a Golf OEM, many companies "cringe" at the idea of being viewed as a "component" brand. But it would be a way to differentiate the MacGregor brand in an otherwise very homogeneous golf retail landscape. Everyone offers "Dynamic Gold" shafts, 1025 Carbon steel forgings, etc. The end products, often times, are all over the map for specs and overall consistency of playability. More and more, people are buying and immediately tearing apart the clubs to have a clubfitter make them fit and perform optimally. It would be great to have the option to have the set built to spec for consumers that are inclined to do so without having to "scrap" the shafts.

This is very exciting to see a company finally going back to a retro/traditional base. It is also so cool that the Prez is keeping us updated. First class. Reid is also talking about how these are early prototypes. I think that the finished cleaned up product with slightly different stampings and satin chrome finish is going to look unreal. What a winner.

Now if Reid offers us a one time ordering discount opportunity (specific time frame maybe) for a little pre-market WRX love I'm in for a set of combo's (special number stamps or something super cool)! Paypal is loaded and ready to go baby; I'm sure all fifty would be represented as well. Good idea right Reid???

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

ocgolfpro:

Any ideas if these will come out in a lefty version ? ? I had purchased a set of M685's earlier this year but received them with several of the irons having nicks in them. Went through a entire fiasco to try and get them replaced but ended up just returning them because of MacGregor's lack of customer service. They were a very great feeling iron, but wasn't so crazy about the support from MacGregor at the time. I like the look of these new irons so I may "forgive and forget" if they have the same smooth feel.

MDHacker

ocgolfpro:

Any ideas if these will come out in a lefty version ? ? I had purchased a set of M685's earlier this year but received them with several of the irons having nicks in them. Went through a entire fiasco to try and get them replaced but ended up just returning them because of MacGregor's lack of customer service. They were a very great feeling iron, but wasn't so crazy about the support from MacGregor at the time. I like the look of these new irons so I may "forgive and forget" if they have the same smooth feel.

MDHacker

Interesting. Were you dealing with Mac directly or were you dealing with the shop you got them through?

I've always had great experiences with Mac customer service, and I work in the business.

CGB:

It was a demo day at the local range and the irons were ordered directly from the factory adjusted with my specs. A Mac rep was there doing fittings and fitted me with the irons and shaft. I was actually torn between going with Rifle Precision 6.0 or 5.5 or sticking with the Project X 6.0's in the current set I had (X-20 Tours). Long and short was that he told me the irons would arrive in a week, only to get them 3 weeks later (I was ok with that only because part of the week fell on a holiday). What I wasn't ok with was the nicks in the irons themselves! I was a bit confused as each iron head was wrapped in bubble wrap. I did not swing them and immediately contacted the range where I got them from. I even talked to the rep who fitted me (I sent him photos of damage to the set and sent copies to his inside rep) who said he would ship replacement clubs (with upgraded shafts) asap along with a towel for my inconvenience.... a few hours later I get a call from an "experienced rep" saying that the first rep over stepped his authority and that I would need to ship my irons back to Macgregor so that they can inspect them and replace them at their whim without the offered upgrades. Quite honestly, I said if I ship them back, then it would be for a full refund (it was now going into almost two months without even hitting the clubs). If it were only maybe one or two clubs with nicks I possibly would of kept the set, but out of 3-PW set I purchased, only 2 clubs didn't have a visible mark on them. My guess is they were damaged at the factory when they were put in the loft and lie machine. Still, doesn't speak well for the QC aspect. In the end, I ended up RMA'ing the irons. The M685's came closest to the MP-32's in terms of feel but I was really put off by the lack of organization on the back end.

MDHacker

I just joined GolfWRX because of this thread. The customer service at MacGregor pointed me to this site after I inquired about the possibility of a reissue of the 1025m's, but I am glad to see an incredible looking lineup for 2008. I almost bought some MP-67's two days ago, and I'm glad I waited. These clubs WILL be in my bag if MacG can get quality control on shaft flexes and swing weights. The clubs look great, PLEASE keep the graphics small and classy.

Thanks Reid for getting involved in the discussion. If MacGregor were a public company I'd buy stock right now.

John

CGB:

It was a demo day at the local range and the irons were ordered directly from the factory adjusted with my specs. A Mac rep was there doing fittings and fitted me with the irons and shaft. I was actually torn between going with Rifle Precision 6.0 or 5.5 or sticking with the Project X 6.0's in the current set I had (X-20 Tours). Long and short was that he told me the irons would arrive in a week, only to get them 3 weeks later (I was ok with that only because part of the week fell on a holiday). What I wasn't ok with was the nicks in the irons themselves! I was a bit confused as each iron head was wrapped in bubble wrap. I did not swing them and immediately contacted the range where I got them from. I even talked to the rep who fitted me (I sent him photos of damage to the set and sent copies to his inside rep) who said he would ship replacement clubs (with upgraded shafts) asap along with a towel for my inconvenience.... a few hours later I get a call from an "experienced rep" saying that the first rep over stepped his authority and that I would need to ship my irons back to Macgregor so that they can inspect them and replace them at their whim without the offered upgrades. Quite honestly, I said if I ship them back, then it would be for a full refund (it was now going into almost two months without even hitting the clubs). If it were only maybe one or two clubs with nicks I possibly would of kept the set, but out of 3-PW set I purchased, only 2 clubs didn't have a visible mark on them. My guess is they were damaged at the factory when they were put in the loft and lie machine. Still, doesn't speak well for the QC aspect. In the end, I ended up RMA'ing the irons. The M685's came closest to the MP-32's in terms of feel but I was really put off by the lack of organization on the back end.

MDHacker

Interesting. Thats a bad experience to be sure. Well with stuff like this, I usually say it's like meeting a celebrity. For everybody that meets someone and says they're really nice, there's another that says they're a jerk. Everybody has a bad day once in awhile, and I've had good and bad experiences with all companies. Some more than others, but Macgregor has been among the easiest to deal with. I'd give them another shot, especially looking at this new line.

MDHacker-

This thread is for info on the new MacGregor irons...not to vent about an anomaly when you had a bad customer service experience with them. The PRESIDENT of the company has been gracious enough to give us his time and listen to our feedback/ideas. I think the ulterior motive you have shown is RUDE and out of context.

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

Crosier:

"This thread is for info on the new MacGregor irons...not to vent about an anomaly when you had a bad customer service experience with them. The PRESIDENT of the company has been gracious enough to give us his time and listen to our feedback/ideas. I think the ulterior motive you have shown is RUDE and out of context."

Please re-read post #292. I stated plainly that I liked the M685's and even worked with them to try and fix the issue. I even like the new 08 line enough so that I would "forgive and forget" the past issue I had with MacGregor. CGB asked a bit more detail as to my dealings with Macgregor and I posted it (I don't believe that was rude or out of context). There was nothing in there bashing MacGregor, only a recollection of the facts. I would think that the President of ANY company would want to hear not only the good but bad experiences with their company in order to improve customer service and the interactions with customers.

MDHacker