2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Just beautiful looking irons!

The rounded toes of the wedges actually remind me of the old 1958, '59 Wilson DynaPower classics---some of the best wedges ever made!

I agree that most low handicap players adjust lies, shafts, grips, etc. to match what works for them---so off the rack salesrequire extra investment to get the clubsright. The only cautionary note might be the time required to receive a custom order from the factory---I hope it's not a deal killer.

I'm very glad to see the minimum offset designs. It's something a lot of better players have wanted for some time, since the market got crowded with offset cavity back, game improvement clubs.

Another possible marketing advantage for these irons is the current popularity of the One Plane Swing. OPSers all know that it's mostly a right-to-left ball flight. Offset irons tend to exagerate the draw, so these will be welcome for OPSers.

I for one will buy a set of these as fast as I can get my hands on one.

Thanks MacGregor! I've still got a rack full of classic MacGregor persimmon woods, wedges and putters. It'll be nice to put MacGegors back in play!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to thank Reid for chiming in. There was really no reason for us to expect him to do so, but he keeps answering specific questions and connecting with his customer base. For me, this speaks volumes for his mindset and his dedication to the customer.

I am not someone who would normally buy a brand new set of irons for brand new set of irons money, but knowing that the President of the company cares enough and is confident enough to open himself to the criticism and scrutiny of an open forum makes me very excited for these new offerings. I am more likely to open my wallet because of it.

Kudos to you Reid. Kudos to MacGregor. I am a golf traditionalist and love the history of the game, of which MacGregor is a giant. Heres to hoping you can bring the company back to that level. If these offerings are any indicator, we can expect big things from MacGregor in the future.

WOW! This is awsome. Macgregor is making a comeback, geared towards lower handicaps and players that like classic designs. AWSOME. I am so excited. Plus how cool is it that the president of the company takes the time to post here. It really shows his comitment to his customer base. I cant wait to see the rest of the product line.

Is there any way that the irons will be available in a satin crome finish option?

WOW! This is awsome. Macgregor is making a comeback, geared towards lower handicaps and players that like classic designs. AWSOME. I am so excited. Plus how cool is it that the president of the company takes the time to post here. It really shows his comitment to his customer base. I cant wait to see the rest of the product line.

Is there any way that the irons will be available in a satin crome finish option?

I would like to know that too, Mr. President ;)

Regarding forgings...in our R&D department is a gentleman named Jim Bode. Jim is an world renowned expert in both club design and metalurgy. Jim sourced the new forged heads for us and has been working closely with this vendor to ensure that the quality is the best available. Cost was not a factor in choosing the source of our heads, just quality. In fact, we'll be spending more per club on our forged heads than at any time in recent history. Once you hit them, this commitment will be evident ;) .

Thanks, Reid.

Reid, can you please send me Jim Bode's email address, either here on in private message?

I only ordered Macgregor PMB blades which were the best irons I ever had. Jim Bode confirmed with me that it was assembled by Arthur Lockett and the loft/lie were bent to spec by Walt Davis. Are Mr. Lockett and Mr. Davis still around?

I then informed Mr. Bode that I did not like how the Tourney 56 wedge sat and preferred the rounder toe. He sent me the tour version at cost, and handpicked the lowest bounce, and even had my initial engraved. Talk about great customer service!

I won my only club championship with Macgregors, and I never got to thank Jim for that because when I sent him an email it bounced back.

Hopefully by next year, I will have a full Macgregor bag again.

Another possible marketing advantage for these irons is the current popularity of the One Plane Swing. OPSers all know that it's mostly a right-to-left ball flight. Offset irons tend to exagerate the draw, so these will be welcome for OPSers.

Texsport

Um....no. Let's not get off track here and you want to find out why PM me but offset doesn't lead to any type of left bias, the only point of offset is increase dynamic loft at impact. You can make any iron, with any offiset, with any ball position do whatever you want.

Again, PM me to discuss further if you wish.

Texsport

Um....no. Let's not get off track here and you want to find out why PM me but offset doesn't lead to any type of left bias, the only point of offset is increase dynamic loft at impact. You can make any iron, with any offiset, with any ball position do whatever you want.

Again, PM me to discuss further if you wish.

Now why would you feel obligated to insert youself to correct me?

Please don't pretend to tell me you know more about this than I do.

1st of all, I have a technical Ph.D. I have the physics knowledge required to calculate this effect.

2nd, it's obvious that you can adapt to any club---but I don't want to. Grip and setup changes aren't what I'm looking for.

3rd, every anti-hook club ever made has a huge offset.

4th, check the attached links written by Tom Wishon, advocating offset as an anti-slice design.I could list 100s. Also, see the anti-slice driver he sells.

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction/artic...65213-5,00.html

http://www.pga.com/improve/tips/equipment/...ishon100504.cfm

http://www.condorgolf.com/Wishon_915CFE_Of...shon_915cfe.htm

5th---Please see Golfweek article listing several manufacturers who believe that offset results in a "draw".

http://www.golfweek.com/foryourgame/equipm...ingpower_032407

6th--How come Lee Trevino, a low ball hitting player didn't play offset clubs? Answer---he didn't want to hook it!

Thank you very much.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

These really are some sweet looking irons from MacGregor! I used to play nothing but MacGregor back in the day! MT = MacGregor Tourney and as someone else posted, this has been their stamp of quality and marketing for years.

I have only one complaint and very small one, but I wish they would consider doing their new line in Satin! I am not a fan of the polished chrome look!

Beyond that, these are really sweet!

Reid,

Please, NOT larger. Smaller is better. None would be best. Better players want LESS garbage on their clubs. In the current golf landscape, manufacturers seem to think that brighter, louder, more colorful is what people want. It may well serve a purpose to differentiate your clubs from the next on the racks and racks of equipment at golf retail. But very few products now let the performance speak for itself.

Can you expound on the shaft and grip comment? It sounds very "proprietary" -which is not what better players want. Dynamic Gold and Project X make up the great majority of "better players'" bags. No need to re-invent the wheel on shafts.

These look great, and looking forward to learning more about them and, more importantly, hitting them!

Really, this is only partially true! I think there is a lot of players out there good and bad that would like to see another high quality shaft manufacturer present. For one, NIPPON. Some of the OEM's out there carry them, but with so very limited variations. I have been dying to see when one of the OEM's is going to stock the Nippon, NSPRO 1150 shaft. I have heard so many good things about this shaft and I would love to try it!

Macgregor,,, if you are reading or listening, Please add this to your lineup options. I will order a set in a New York minute! Also... as earlier posted, I believe the satin finish is going to make these irons a killer! MacGregor really needs to consider this finish vs. the high polish chrome.

NICE job on the irons and I wish MacGregor all the success with this upcoming year and years to come.

Schweeeet. Satin finish would be Schweeeter!

Well, Mizuno has done pretty well with a mirror chrome nickel finish, and no one seems to take issue with their finishes.

Reid: Tough to tell from these photos. Is the topline bead-blasted on both the MB's and CB's? It looks as though the topline is chromed from the pics. I don't mind the chrome, but if the topline is chromed, I'd love to see it bead-blasted instead to reduce glare. ;)

To everyone that has posted comments/suggestions...first off, thank you VERY much for the input. It's a little challenging to answer every single one of the posts in a timely manner, so I'm going to take the following approach. I'll be gathering up the various questions/suggestions and will respond once or twice a week to the feedback. In some cases, I'll want to get our R&D team's input on the topic prior to responding.

Once responses are posted, if there's something specific that I've missed or you are still curious about, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will respond to you as quickly as I can. If a topic crosses the confidentiality or intellectual property line, I'll politely let you know that as well ;) .

Thanks again for the dialogue, it is very much appreciated.

Take care,

Reid Gorman

President

MacGregor Golf

1000 Pecan Grove Drive

Albany, GA 31701

800-841-4358

800-455-1220 fax

Reid, good to see you on the site but we must do something about your Feedback count. Imagine, 6 posts already and no Buy/Sell/Trade transactions with your fellow WRX members!

Might I suggest that a few sales to selected WRX members would earn you very positive feedback which on a bad day would make you feel very good about yourself as a human being. And, as I'm sure you know we WRX members are opinion shapers and could be holding many informal Demo Days for you at our clubs and courses throughout the world. We'd be willing to do that for your Reid, not because we'd be getting these great looking clubs earlier than everyone else (and at opinion shaper prices no doubt), but because that's the kind of things we members do for each other. ;)

Welcome aboard, thanks for the great attitude and let us know how we can help you for real.

To everyone that has posted comments/suggestions...first off, thank you VERY much for the input. It's a little challenging to answer every single one of the posts in a timely manner, so I'm going to take the following approach. I'll be gathering up the various questions/suggestions and will respond once or twice a week to the feedback. In some cases, I'll want to get our R&D team's input on the topic prior to responding.

Once responses are posted, if there's something specific that I've missed or you are still curious about, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will respond to you as quickly as I can. If a topic crosses the confidentiality or intellectual property line, I'll politely let you know that as well ;) .

Thanks again for the dialogue, it is very much appreciated.

Take care,

Reid Gorman

President

MacGregor Golf

1000 Pecan Grove Drive

Albany, GA 31701

800-841-4358

800-455-1220 fax

Talk about sweet. This is the kind of stuff that builds a loyal following.

Kudos to you for listening to some feedback. I may not buy these upcoming irons, but I'm now a fan of MacGregor.

Well, Mizuno has done pretty well with a mirror chrome nickel finish, and no one seems to take issue with their finishes.

Reid: Tough to tell from these photos. Is the topline bead-blasted on both the MB's and CB's? It looks as though the topline is chromed from the pics. I don't mind the chrome, but if the topline is chromed, I'd love to see it bead-blasted instead to reduce glare. ;)

I sold my Mizunp Mp-32 and Mp-60 sest because the mirror chrome wasn't to my likings at all.

I much prefer dull satin finish - if ever I buy Mizuno irons again, they will have to be Japan custom made in dull satin finish.

I may be a minority here, but I'm one who doesn't fancy the mirror chrome finish on the retail Mizuno Mp irons.

Well I'd love to try these, the CB's with a couple of wedges would be sweet.

What I would love is for the heads to be available to a select group custom club fitters. However good a custom shop you have as a (large) OEM, just due to the amount of orders, it's highly unlikely that you can put them together with the precision of someone like Mr Kwok. If I can save a few $$ and a bit of time by not having to buy a whole built set only for them to be taken apart for the custom build it would help make up my mind. I believe Adams runs a similar set-up (and I don't mean the tour models offered elsewhere) so it is possible to do.

JAT

Claus:

I could not agree with you more! I know that Mizuno has been very successful with their irons and their finish. However, all you Mizuno fans must admit one thing; their finish is truly not that good. I have had many a set of Mizuno irons and within a matter of a season of play, I am seeing minor rust develop and finish wear.

In my experience with most forged irons, they all seem to hold up better with the SATIN finish. It is also much easier on the eyes with glare issues and finally, they do not seem to ding up with bag chatter as much... or maybe just not as noticeable.

The absolute best finish I have seen on any set of forged comes from Miura. My new CB202's are perfect!

I sold my Mizunp Mp-32 and Mp-60 sest because the mirror chrome wasn't to my likings at all.

I much prefer dull satin finish - if ever I buy Mizuno irons again, they will have to be Japan custom made in dull satin finish.

I may be a minority here, but I'm one who doesn't fancy the mirror chrome finish on the retail Mizuno Mp irons.

Oh Claus.... iron snobs' opinions don't count.... :russian_roulette: :russian_roulette:

If you are so stuck on the Satin vs Polished issue just send them to Shreveport golf and have them do the satin finish for $10.00 a head and be done with it.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Claus:

I could not agree with you more! I know that Mizuno has been very successful with their irons and their finish. However, all you Mizuno fans must admit one thing; their finish is truly not that good. I have had many a set of Mizuno irons and within a matter of a season of play, I am seeing minor rust develop and finish wear.

In my experience with most forged irons, they all seem to hold up better with the SATIN finish. It is also much easier on the eyes with glare issues and finally, they do not seem to ding up with bag chatter as much... or maybe just not as noticeable.

The absolute best finish I have seen on any set of forged comes from Miura. My new CB202's are perfect!

Agreed ;)

The best finish on any forged ironset I've seen so far is the Miura satin finish. Durable, dull while still classy looking :russian_roulette:

Sold my Miura Cb-301 set to a guy in here 2 months ago, and I can honestly say that the finish looked like when I bought them 1 year ago.

No scratches and no dings - simply a very sturdy durable finish. My Cb-201 set was the same.

The Cb-202 will be in my Spring 2008 bag, no doubt - but will have to compete for a safe place with the Epon AF-301 Custom dull satin and the Srixon I-701 Tour.

If you are so stuck on the Satin vs Polished issue just send them to Shreveport golf and have them do the satin finish for $10.00 a head and be done with it.

That might not be the best advice :russian_roulette:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...shreveport+golf