NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Dear Santa,

I have told myself that beginning next year, i will no longer buy putters as i have quite a few in the basement sitting collecting dust. I am set with my drivers, wedges and fairway woods. What i am missing is the MacGregor Pro C and the Pro M sets in LEFT Hand. I promise to be GOOD BOY!!!!

That is my wish list for next year!

Reid, Thanks again for including the lefties! We all appreciate not being "Left Out"!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18th Legion

Get your point, but don't most on this forum drool over Miura and Endo forgings, and surely mainstream OEM Mizuno is a direct competitor to the market segment McGregor is aiming at.

Dont Cobra have a few new forged offerings in the pipeline (arguably better looking than their parent companies newest offerings)

Macgregor are going to be very agressive with their accounts. Qualified accounts (amount of $ spent yearly) will be able to demo EVERY wood, set of irons, & wedges they order. What a great way to allow accounts to get Mac's into the hands of consumers. They seem to understand that (unfortunately) the Macgregor name has been associated with cheap "Golden Bear" and the like clubs and to get their reputation back, they need to get aggressive.
Two thumbs up to Macgregor.

[quote name='jebb' post='816822' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:49 PM']18th Legion,

Very interesting post. I have a question for you.

How important is the United States ownership/operation to the consumers?

The reason I ask is that in the segment of companies making "classic" forged irons that Mac are aiming at I would have thought companies like Mizuno would have been amongst there chief rivals. I know Mizuno are a Far East company.

So I guess what I'm asking is would it be important enough for consumers in this segment to choose Mac over Mizuno because of its American heritage?[/quote]

Thanks Jebb,

Well without giving away all of the research for free, a few numbers that we have pulled in:
Overall all just under 80% of American consumers would purchase American Made product of equal value (Quality/Price). Of those, 72% would purchase from an American company (even with product containing foreign components) versus a Far East company, 54% versus a European/Austrailian/Canadian company.

Paired down to American consumers who Golf enough to have an established USGA handicap and the numbers are lower, but in our opinion significant: 71% would purchase american made product of equal value, 68% would purchase from an American Company over a Far East, 38% versus European/Austrailian/Canadian.

The market research was accomplished by a combination of survey and physical bag checks. It is continual and has been on-going for two years. Given that some people will say one thing and sometimes do another, even with the usual 8% +- variance, the numbers still indicate a large enough market segment to consider when advertising or investing.

There are some industries such as Electronics and Textiles in which purchasing American is nearly impossible. But where there is availability and/or perception of a strong Made in USA presence, there is a growing rather than declining factor. Industries that lend itself to the "importance and connection of the product to the individuals performance" such as Guitar Manufacturers show dominance still for U.S. products to Americans.

When it comes to marketing, Golf has many similarities with Racing. Much of the group is very similar to NASCAR and it's fans, while a smaller segment is similar to Formula One. The purveyors on this site, many who adorn high-end Japanese forgings, would fall into the later. The majority of American Golfers fall into the former.

What we don't have enough information on, is how MacGregor will do in Europe. MacGregor has been rated higher in club tests and received more ink in Europe than in the U.S. Magazines, so they may fare even better overseas.

Ultimately what is being expressed is that [b]MacGregor [/b]has moved into a market segment that has is growing, is full of opportunity, and we believe will be one of the best and most significant moves in the golf industry for 2008 and beyond. We have no ties to MacGregor, but we are inspired by their approach and will use their example to motivate our clients.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

18th Legion,

Thanks for the reply. Both that and your original post made very interesting reading. I come at it from a different perspective as I'm British but I also have an interest as my brother works for a Top 10 ad agency here in the UK as a brand consultant.

I would never have figured the "Made in the USA" factor to be so strong but having heard your experience/figures can see why it is another reason why MacGregor can look forward to a successful launch with this group of products.

To be honest the impression I get sometimes on the board here is that high end Japanese products (Miura/Epon etc) are the most desirable. Having said that I suppose the cross section of contributors to this board isn't necessarily reflective of the mainstream golfer at large.

I think the "modern classic" approach Reid outlined is perfect for the brand and given Titleist's new offerings I could see them picking up business there aswell.

That Aint Billy Bob!!

He was playing the 675 blades. I paused my DVR and slow-mo'd it to see the small V-Foil badge on the corner of the back of the blade and it had the ribs and satin finish just like the OTR irons. I'm sure they're somewhat custom, but it's cool to see Norman pimping what he owns, not some custom grinds like all the other MacGregor staffers like Badds and Olazabel.

Speaking Olazabel, is he staying with Mac and if so, is he possibly going to play the new irons?

I wish Mac would release the Bobby Grace putter he was using earlier this year...similar shape to a Circa 62 #2 but all black. Yummy!

:russian_roulette:

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

"I wish Mac would release the Bobby Grace putter he was using earlier this year...similar shape to a Circa 62 #2 but all black. Yummy!"

I believe it's coming. Not 100% if it will be black oxide finish, but if I understood the e-mail Mr. Gorman sent me correctly it will be part of the Sun Coast series putters released this spring. Hopefully some pictures will surface from Mac of these putters soon.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='Crosier' post='818823' date='Dec 10 2007, 09:20 AM']He was playing the 675 blades. I paused my DVR and slow-mo'd it to see the small V-Foil badge on the corner of the back of the blade and it had the ribs and satin finish just like the OTR irons. I'm sure they're somewhat custom, but it's cool to see Norman pimping what he owns, not some custom grinds like all the other MacGregor staffers like Badds and Olazabel.

Speaking Olazabel, is he staying with Mac and if so, is he possibly going to play the new irons?

I wish Mac would release the Bobby Grace putter he was using earlier this year...similar shape to a Circa 62 #2 but all black. Yummy!

:russian_roulette:[/quote]
JMO supposedly had a big design impact on the new '08 driver; It's very pear-shaped (I saw drawings not the real-deal). And supposedly Norman was sporting the new Pro-C irons and he gave Pro-M custom irons to Elway and Marino. All this according to the Mac rep I spoke too. I saw one shot of the event, so I have no idea other than what he told me.

When are we gonna be able to see the driver pics??

And I also have another question about the color scheme they're going with. If they're gonna go back to their old traditional look and bring back the green and white bag, then why come out with the red and white colors instead of green and white? I know that the bag and club colors don't have to match but I think it'd be cool if it was color coordinated. I think a green and white color scheme for the clubs would be awesome.

Anyone know what I'm sayin?

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

:)

I hit them TODAY! My rep came by for our meeting and she had just received a 9, 6 and 3 iron of the CB. Felt great and looks are incredible. They look 10x better in person. Very traditional and smaller than your average CB. The sole on them looked really good. It was a little straighter and flatter than most. They kinda looked like a cross between those Elk blades and a traditional CB. I saw a slide show presentation of all the rest of the product and the higher handicap stuff looks interesting. Its a hard market to crack, but it seems like the have enough technology to be able to take some of the leaders share.

[quote name='codylowrygolf' post='821079' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:53 PM']:)

I hit them TODAY! My rep came by for our meeting and she had just received a 9, 6 and 3 iron of the CB. Felt great and looks are incredible. They look 10x better in person. Very traditional and smaller than your average CB. The sole on them looked really good. It was a little straighter and flatter than most. They kinda looked like a cross between those Elk blades and a traditional CB. I saw a slide show presentation of all the rest of the product and the higher handicap stuff looks interesting. Its a hard market to crack, but it seems like the have enough technology to be able to take some of the leaders share.[/quote]

Were they good enough for you to switch from your J33 cb? Was there any forgiveness in the sole or were they sharp with little leading edge?

Looks are incredible right. Sounds good. What finish were they?

TaylorMade
St 2.0
Fujikura 771ta
.sdasldmasdasd
asdsadaSD
asdas
WITB Link

I agree with everyone here... I don't want to sit here and exclaim my jubilation about this product from a looks only standpoint, but it is very hard not to! The product looks fantastic, and Reid and his team know that this will be an uphill battle for them to get their name back into the spotlight of the consumer. With all of that being said - I cannot wait to hit these, or even hold these in my hands... the product looks outstanding!

BTW - Happy Birthday Reid!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I am afraid this thread has done me in. It has been all to much for me to handle. Order placed, data being carefully collected, and story including massive amounts of pictures and comparison pics coming. What can I say. I couldnt hold off.

I will say the topline from the Badds blade is the MacGregor standard. JMO has a thin topline and I bet you could cut steak with it. The custom heads they work with are raw unfinished blanks that can we ground into any of the versions to weight. The Badds heel is more than the standard rolled option and the toe is called a "simi square" according to Don White.

Well done Richard!!

Way early in the thread I made a comment about getting custom version of the GT 6.4K. The next day I got a PM from Mr. Gorman. He mentioned that if I was interested in a custom putter that I could contact Mr. Grace directly and tell him what I wanted. I did that a few days later. A couple of weeks later I received an early Xmas present from the fine folks at MacGregor.

Here it is: GT 6.4k - center shaft, Grey HSM insert, tungsten weights and BCG 3# in the butt. I have the same tour version with the no insert. I absolutely loved that putter. No more..I'm in love with the HSM insert. :welcomeani::):rolleyes:

It's unreal. I've never been one to like inserts, but this one is some and puts a good on the ball everysingle time. Enjoy the pics! Thank you Mr. Gorman, Mr. Grace and especially Marylin in Mr. Grace's office. She went out her way to fine the quickest and cheapest method to ship to me in the Great White North.

New wedges for me in the new year! I can't wait.

Kind regards,
Eric

[attachment=198336:P1010020.jpg]
[attachment=198335:P1010016.jpg]
[attachment=198334:P1015137.jpg]
[attachment=198337:P1010014.jpg]

I am truly excited for MacGregor and their new club offerings. I have played golf for 28 years, the last 13 with Mac clubs. I started with CB 92 irons and VIP titanium woods; then got a set of 1025m irons 2-GW (absolutely awesome sticks) and eye o matic drivers (have three of those w/ pro launch blue), and now have MACTEC 685 irons and a MACTEC TOUR driver. I also have about 30 classic persimmon clubs that are on display in my living room and every damn one of them say MAC. The only reason I got the 685s is because my clubs were "misplaced" at TPC Sawgrass (a month out of Iraq and I didn't handle that very well...they did get them back about a week later unscathed). I got the 685s brand new for $219 in the box (couldn't let that pass by). I will never let my clubs get out of arms reach again.

Mr. Gorman, is there any chance you could sign some additional young pros to rep for your company on the PGA/LPGA tours? I hope 2008 brings great success for your company and I'm looking forward to seeing your new products first hand. Perhaps you could have a demo day here in Valsosta at Kinderlou Forest (hosted Q school and Nationwide tour events...awesome course designed by Davis Love III).

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Wonder why the MacGregor website is still showing all the old MacTec stuff, even though we're supposedly days away from release on some of the new models.

I'm also going to be interested to see the MacGregor marketing strategy - even among better players it's going to be an uphill battle to regain a foothold in the market. I suppose the "USA" angle could work, but I'm not sure Americans necessarily associate MacGregor as a US brand. It sounds Scottish and it's CEO and top player are Australian. I haven't read the whole thread, but did MT-Pro say that the mass produced forgings are going to be made in the USA? I didn't think there was a forging house left in the US after Hogan went down the tubes.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' post='828374' date='Dec 17 2007, 09:33 PM']Wonder why the MacGregor website is still showing all the old MacTec stuff, even though we're supposedly days away from release on some of the new models.

I'm also going to be interested to see the MacGregor marketing strategy - even among better players it's going to be an uphill battle to regain a foothold in the market. I suppose the "USA" angle could work, but I'm not sure Americans necessarily associate MacGregor as a US brand. It sounds Scottish and it's CEO and top player are Australian. I haven't read the whole thread, but did MT-Pro say that the mass produced forgings are going to be made in the USA? I didn't think there was a forging house left in the US after Hogan went down the tubes.[/quote]

Pres was unwilling to disclose which forging house will be doing the work, due to competitive concerns, but I seem to recall that they will be forged in Japan.

[quote name='Foreleft' post='828502' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:02 PM']Pres was unwilling to disclose which forging house will be doing the work, due to competitive concerns, but I seem to recall that they will be forged in Japan.[/quote]

Won't that put a cramp in the whole "comparably priced, comparably performing, but American" argument?

At any rate, the irons are nice looking sticks and I'm glad MacGregor and Wilson both are starting to drift back towards their classic roots.

It took me a while to find his post but the President of MacGregor says some interesting things here. I am reading betweent he lines but it looks like these forgings could be better than the older ones. While many are cuting the cost looks like MacGregor is spending more for their heads.

[quote name='MT-PRO' post='753803' date='Oct 14 2007, 01:45 PM']Regarding forgings...in our R&D department is a gentleman named Jim Bode. Jim is an world renowned expert in both club design [u]and[/u] metalurgy. Jim sourced the new forged heads for us and has been working closely with this vendor to ensure that the quality is the best available. Cost was not a factor in choosing the source of our heads, just quality. In fact, we'll be spending more per club on our forged heads than at any time in recent history. Once you hit them, this commitment will be evident :) .

Thanks, Reid.[/quote]

By reeealllly reading between the lines, what I see is that he's saying these are going to be Miura forgings, rather than Endo or a Chinese house.

A Don White designed, Miura forged iron? That might be too hot to even pick up - melt the cover off the ball hot.

[quote name='Foreleft' post='828502' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:02 PM'][quote name='SheriffBooth' post='828374' date='Dec 17 2007, 09:33 PM']Wonder why the MacGregor website is still showing all the old MacTec stuff, even though we're supposedly days away from release on some of the new models.

I'm also going to be interested to see the MacGregor marketing strategy - even among better players it's going to be an uphill battle to regain a foothold in the market. I suppose the "USA" angle could work, but I'm not sure Americans necessarily associate MacGregor as a US brand. It sounds Scottish and it's CEO and top player are Australian. I haven't read the whole thread, but did MT-Pro say that the mass produced forgings are going to be made in the USA? I didn't think there was a forging house left in the US after Hogan went down the tubes.[/quote]

Pres was unwilling to disclose which forging house will be doing the work, due to competitive concerns, but I seem to recall that they will be forged in Japan.
[/quote]

I don't think there is a single forging house left in the US, after Hoffman closed. I would be very surprised if Muira was the forging house, as they seem to be moving in the direction of branding their own products and have been doing less work for other companies.