NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

Reid,

Is there any chance that we can get a sneak peak at the new Suncoast Series putters from Bobby Grace or will we have to wait until the PGA Show in Jan?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Long is a friend of mine and is in regional sales for Macgregor. He was in town today with Reid Gorman and they were kind of enough to invite me to meet them at one of our local courses after an appointment today. They had prototypes and samples of the MT Pro forged cavity back, the MT, MT Mid and MT Oversize, along with a 52 degree wedge DW. They also had unshafted sample heads of the gun metal wedge and the new muscleback. They were kind enough to camp out with me on the range on what turned out to be a perfect afternoon while I hit every single one of the sample irons and wedges.

First thing's first. I, like most of the rest of you, have been impressed by Reid's willingness to post and interact on the site and told him as much in person. He and Phil are both excited about the new product. I want to thank them again for the opportunity to try out the equipment.

Now...I have played more or less with the same irons, Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro's since the spring of 2003. I am a club junkie, like a lot of folks here on Golfwrx. I have tried more irons at demo days, bought and immediately traded off more sets than I care to count. I am nothing short of thoroughly impressed with all of the clubs in the new line. I will have some combination of these clubs as soon as I can get my hands on them, period. When I say combination, the trouble will be deciding between the sets. The forging feels better in the wedges and MT Pro than Hogan, Mizuno, anything else I've hit and I'm really, really picky. The MT with the cup face is out of this world and will probably be what ends up in my bag. It is a fantastic combination of forged feel with the help someone who plays twice a week needs. The shocker of the bunch was the [b]MT Mid[/b], the casting that as Reid has said will retail on the street for $599. I could easily put the entire set in the bag and not think twice about it. Phil had me hit shots on the toe and heel intentionally to show me how there is minimal distance loss, even on off center hits. I hit every shot I could ask to hit with the 4 iron in the MT Mid, high, low, left to right, right to left. It is ridiculous.

I do not gush about equipment. I've tried too much of it. I will say this: If you do not try these golf clubs when they become available, you are missing something. The look is incredibly clean, even in the oversize model with offset and a thicker topline.

One more thing: The gun metal finish on the wedges will make you want some time alone.

[quote name='sandy' post='831960' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:28 PM'][quote name='LeftyPwr' post='830998' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:14 PM']This may be a repeat, but how does one go about ordering a custom set of Mac's?

Rob[/quote]

$2000-$10000 from the past depending on how "custom" you want. You would have the local shop/rep. (don't know if they have reps everywhere yet) make the contact for you. I have 4 sets that have ranged from the cheapest to the most expensive (which used to include a trip to MacGregor and work with their clubmakers---this may not be possible anymore however). In those days you left without clubs but the raw heads ground to your swing--they then polished and finished them (chromed), final assembled them and then shipped them to you. Since that (decent chroming---please don't say the iron factory) is virtually non existent in the U.S. anymore I don't know if they offer this degree of service customization anymore.
[/quote]
[size=2]
I should know, I am in process of ordering a set. About half way through. Cost is aprox $250.00 a club or 2k for 3-pw shafted up. Not bad considering the heads are hand ground and custom made by legendary Don White himself. Proof by the traditional "DW" stampings on the sole. A fingerprint of his time spent shaping your heads. I mean this guy is a legend. 12 majors says a lot and many of us know who he is.

In short Reid had me talk to Scott in MacGregor's sales office to start the custom program. I think yo just call the 1 800 number at MacGregor. There is a matrix I attached in this post that has all the options. I choose what I wanted, filled out the form and emailed it to Scott. He called me with in a day and arranged a conference call w/ the 2 of us and Mr. Don White.

Then the 3 of us talked through the options I choose (why, what, how, when). The conference call was great and I tried to tell him that I was looking for a specific bounce and grind. I wanted a thin topline, no offset, squarish toe, cambered sole and some anti digging leading edges. Not to severe but I was looking for something to accommodate a steeper swing that I have. I told him of a few soles that were to sharp and we talked it through for at least a half an hour all the different grinds.

Then we talked about the looks. I sent him a picture of [/size][size=2]Aaron Baddeley's heads and asked for the exact same stampings and finish. I also asked for the same topline (which was standard not thin) and toe (which was simi square not square). After that we talked shaft, swingweight, grips, lengths, loft and lie. Since I knew my specs most of my interest was focused on the grinds and they were both very humble and took plenty of time to talk with me.

Then Don made 3 raw heads (3,6,9 irons) and sent them to me to approve the grinds. [/size][size=2]I received them approved them and sent them back. He then finishes the remaining heads in the set, stamps, sends out for finishing, assembles the sets to my specs and ships them.

Here is what I had received last week. The grinds where unique to anything I have ever seen. The soles had a leading edge grind that Don called his "Killed" leading edge that looked like a modified M grind. The center of the cambered sole had the leading edge rolled into the sole. While the heel and toe were preserved. Difficult to show in Pictures and in words.

Here are some of the raw heads sent for approval...
[/size]

[attachment=200109:1red6iron_back.jpg]

[attachment=200110:2red6_face.jpg]

[attachment=200111:3redsole6iron.jpg]

[attachment=200112:46sole.jpg]

[attachment=200113:5wmred_b..._and_mac.jpg]

[attachment=200114:6wmredso...67andMac.jpg]

[attachment=200117:7redwedgesback.jpg]

[attachment=200118:8wmredwedgetop.jpg]

[attachment=200179:Custom_G...Consumer.xls]

[quote name='JGalls' post='832261' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:15 PM']Great pictures. I'm deciding if I should go with a DW set. That makes me want to even more!! Any address shots of the irons?[/quote]

Yes, here is the 3,6, and pw. I will do a full spread once they come in finished.

[attachment=200172:IMG_2311_resize.jpg]
[attachment=200173:IMG_2319_resize.jpg]
[attachment=200174:IMG_2323_resize.jpg]

Oh my, those are pure. Exciting times for MacGregor. Best of luck to them

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

Im a golf professional in cold Belgium (-5° celsius). Just come back from a ProAm in Fantastic Mauritius. great place.

Seing these Amazing clubs has warmed the atmosphere drastically.

Cant wait to get a quote from MacGregor to pass an order for a custom set of grinded irons from Mr Don White himself.

Thanks for the precious link of the Grinding details

Very interesting

I will robably be going for a set of

Pro M s 3-PW
custom Grind options:
Heel - Rolled off
Top Line - Standard
Toe - square
Leading edge - Straight
Leading edge blend - Killed
Sole shape - Slight
Project X 6.0
Tour Velvet upside down

2 Wedges 56 and 60 bent 1 degree strong

What do you guys think of these Grinding options

Im a Stack & Tilter since the begining and MacGregor has always been my stuff.

Happy Xmas to you all and keep posting great stuff. I just cant stop being on the forum.

Hey Easy, Is the toe shape of your 56* wedge semi-square as well? I wanted to order a couple of custom grind wedges w/ semi-square toe as well to match my PMB's but wasn't sure how the would look.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='phelps22' post='832641' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:18 AM']Hey Easy, Is the toe shape of your 56* wedge semi-square as well? I wanted to order a couple of custom grind wedges w/ semi-square toe as well to match my PMB's but wasn't sure how the would look.[/quote]

I dont know? I asked him for a more rounded wedge. He made these.

[quote name='sirois' post='823890' date='Dec 13 2007, 06:51 PM']Well done Richard!!

Way early in the thread I made a comment about getting custom version of the GT 6.4K. The next day I got a PM from Mr. Gorman. He mentioned that if I was interested in a custom putter that I could contact Mr. Grace directly and tell him what I wanted. I did that a few days later. A couple of weeks later I received an early Xmas present from the fine folks at MacGregor.

Here it is: GT 6.4k - center shaft, Grey HSM insert, tungsten weights and BCG 3# in the butt. I have the same tour version with the no insert. I absolutely loved that putter. No more..I'm in love with the HSM insert. :cheesy::cheesy::rockon:

It's unreal. I've never been one to like inserts, but this one is some and puts a good on the ball everysingle time. Enjoy the pics! Thank you Mr. Gorman, Mr. Grace and especially Marylin in Mr. Grace's office. She went out her way to fine the quickest and cheapest method to ship to me in the Great White North.

New wedges for me in the new year! I can't wait.

Kind regards,
Eric[/quote]

You can custom order putters from Bobby Grace???! My wallet just got lighter... again.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

I'm not sure what you can order. Mr. Gorman would know best. With the comments from most folks who have dealt with him since this thread started, I'm sure he would be most willing to help anyone out if they are interested.

I talked to Mr. Grace and told him what I wanted. The new putter is the same as what I had at the time, but with the HSM insert. It was built and out the door in couple of days. It would have been out the next day if I was in the US. Marilyn in Mr. Grace's offfice was great in finding me the quickest and most economical way to ship the putter to Canada. I couldn't be more happy with the service.

You may want to send MT-PRO a PM and see what he may be able to do for you.

Eric

[quote name='freddiec' post='832782' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:24 AM']Easyy,
Those DW's you posted are Sick!!!! Nice. Cant wait to see the finished product some time. Enjoy them![/quote]

Thanks. They do look sick. The weights were dead on to. I have to tell you I have had more than a few Hoin experiences in my day and this has been one of my favorites. Getting a custom ground set to my specs is like having a blank canvas and the skill to paint anything I want. Can you imagine me behind the wheel of a custom set. It has been real fun. Here is an example...

I sent Scott and Don White some Pics of Badds 3 iron I took at the Buick last year. I said I wanted that exact toe and topline. Don said that was their "standard" topline and "semi-square toe". There isn't even a semi-square option in the matrix. No problem though. And when the samples hit the door they were dead on.

Real fun stuff for me. All honeymoon though, and I am trying to hold back my excitement. I get real hyped up on something then move to something else. This experience to date has been a real treat for me, and well worth the cost. By the way I am paying for these just like you would.

Next step will be the finished product to hit the door. I can barely wait. Ohh did I tell you guys that I have some custom cb's coming to have a mixed set? Wonder how they will look. Oouch.

[quote name='tarheel' post='833885' date='Dec 22 2007, 11:29 AM']wow wow wow. did i say wow.

how clean looking these irons are!

wow.

how much are these again?[/quote]

$799.00 for retail satin, chrome, or gunmetal
$2000.00 for custom DW

haven't been on the boards for a long time but im impressed with Macgregor's presence on the boards.

as a child growing up and seeing all the scratch golfers playing Mac's i too was hoping some day i could
afford a set, my set was just mixed lefty irons from the specials bag in the pro shop.

i finally got a set of M685's

keep up the tradition guys

cheers

[quote name='Foreleft' post='835943' date='Dec 24 2007, 03:44 PM']How do you find a clubfitter that is skilled enough to help you take advantage of all the grind options available? Or does the user have to know what his swing requires to make full use of DW's skills?[/quote]

I think the user needs to know what he is looking for in respect to the sole, heel, and leading edge grinds. The rest are visual aesthetic choices.

The bounce of the customs have a factor in all of that as well. For instance if the bounce is more that will effect how you might want the leading edge blended. Getting on the phone with Don White is where that works well. Telling him what you are looking for worked well for me. The samples were spot on.

I am lucky enough to have a relationship with clubfitter Joe Kwok. I have played with him and he knows my swing and likes. We talked it out at length. I was going to get a few things that we talked about and ended up changing. Also once I got on the phone with Don White and Scott from MacGregor they also wanted to go through each individual line, step by step. Asked a lot of questions and talked a few things out.

[quote name='uncle rico' post='838331' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:47 AM']What an experience Richard. I have always wanted to go to MacGregor and get the personal treatment on a set of irons. You lucky SOB.[/quote]

I didn't go down there. I did it over the phone. Still it has been a great experience and I haven't even gotten the equipment yet. For us equipment junkies it is a perfect match. Again my excitement for this is in the honeymoon phase.