NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

When I hit 'em at a demo day into a computer/screen thing, I hit 9, 7, and 6 irons of both the PRO-Ms and PRO-Cs.

By my observations and the computer readout, I hit the Ms lower and shorter by about 5 yards a club.

The Cs were medium trajectory--not high.

I also thought that the Ms were some of the softest clubs I've hit in a while. The Cs were soft but a little less than the Ms.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone rate the relative forgiveness of the Pro C's. Are we talking close to MP 57/60's?

I have the 4,5,6 in C's and came form MP 60's and I feel

they are as forgiving. I have the 7,8,9,PW in the M's and they are not

far behind, kind of like the MP 33's with a little flatter ball flight.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

Not sure if this has been addressed...does anyone know why these come 1/4" longer than most standard clubs? Yeah they'll go longer, but only at the expense of control...

Callaway AI Smoke Triple 🔹 9*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

Not sure if this has been addressed...does anyone know why these come 1/4" longer than most standard clubs? Yeah they'll go longer, but only at the expense of control...

Titleist, some model Mizuno's, and others have gone to 38" 5 irons, I think

its a trend, started because people are generally taller than before. I had

always used 38.25 or 38 so the stock Mt's are just fine for me.

TBD
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0

A little eye candy to get the juices flowing....

I mean...just the best looking CB's ever. Is that the standard toe or custom?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

My gunmetal Pro-m's should be in later this month and they are the same exact length as my Feel Golf irons. Maybe standard isn't really standard? In reality, I doubt 1/4" will make much difference. You can change that just by positioning your hands a little differently on the club.

Ahh, good to know...I'm a little over 6'2" so I think the 38" 5 iron will do me some good (current 5 iron at 37" - old school MP-14s). I'm looking to pick these clubs up - I noticed you had the nippons, did you get the 1150s? What did you have before the nippons? I guess I need to get out and hit these with different shafts...hard to do when demo days aren't until April...

Callaway AI Smoke Triple 🔹 9*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

Ahh, good to know...I'm a little over 6'2" so I think the 38" 5 iron will do me some good (current 5 iron at 37" - old school MP-14s). I'm looking to pick these clubs up - I noticed you had the nippons, did you get the 1150s? What did you have before the nippons? I guess I need to get out and hit these with different shafts...hard to do when demo days aren't until April...

For many years I played the TT DG shafts, starting with X-100's, then S-400,

then S-300, then last year at 68 years of age, I tried graph. and didn't like them,

so I tried the Nippon 950 and the DG R-300 and they were both okay, but when I ordered the

MT's I decided on the 1150 Reg. flex (Custom with the Reg. flex but didn't take long

at all to get them). After a range session and 2 rounds, I couldn't be happier. The shaft/head combo

is the finest feelin you can imagine. Kudo's to MacGregor.

TBD
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0

Got my first round in with the Pro-Cs today. Really really nice ball flight, didn't have a problem with any shots balooning. Even more forgiving than I had thought, as well...even though I haven't played in months, and it was the first round with a new set, it felt like I've had them for years.

What set are you coming off of, if you don't mind sharing?

Some manufacturers measure with the grip on, some don't. For instance, when I asked Mizuno, they measure to the end of the cut shaft and then the end of the grip cap adds a little more length.

Got my first round in with the Pro-Cs today. Really really nice ball flight, didn't have a problem with any shots balooning. Even more forgiving than I had thought, as well...even though I haven't played in months, and it was the first round with a new set, it felt like I've had them for years.

What set are you coming off of, if you don't mind sharing?

I had the Mac 685's

Quick Review of Pro C- M's.

I just got the combo set from Metel. Thank's , great guy to buy from. They are Pro C in 3-6 , 7-PW is Pro-M. They are s300 , satin and standard everything. For comparison I am a 3 handicap and the last year I played MR-23's with Kwoked BG S. For the last month I have played Cally XForged with PX 6. First off the Callys dug way too much for me. I just never felt confident with them. I also know now that I do not like PX. They just don't have much feel to me. The BG's in my Mr-23 are way better for my swing. With my irons I like to hit a lot of 3/4 shots. I will always take more club and try to hit a shot instead of hitting one less iron hard. For some reason the PX 6 , at least for me, don't like the 3/4 swing. They are meant to be swung hard. I think many people have said PX's are for hitters not swingers. That is correct.

On the the comparison. The MR-23 are still the softest iron I have ever hit. They are also a very small head. I really liked them but like everybody once I saw the new Mac irons I feel in love.

The Mac irons are longer then the MR's but to my eye the topline looks very similar. I do not like a thick topline. The grind on the Mac's are perfect for me. At first glance they look sharp but they do not dig at all. I was hitting off real tight, firm ground and the grind worked perfect. Distance wise they are a little longer then the MR's. Feel wise to me is very close. It is not clicky at all. If you have played the J-33's you will know what I mean by clicky. The Mac's do not have that feel. They are soft. Forgiveness is better then the MR's. If you really thin it or hit on toe the ball is not gonna to get on the green but if you want that play X-20's ! What I really like about these irons is that you can hit many shots. Cut's, draws , low and high.

The only thing I will tell you is that a the Std grip is way too skinny and that the irons do feel light to me. They were D-2 but for some reason they felt really light. The head feels light. Not always a bad thing but something to be aware of. Once I get them regripped with a couple layers of tape they will be perfect. I am done looking at irons. That is the best thing I can say about these.

If the DW wedges are anything like these irons I will be looking for the 56.

Ok, very quick review of the Pro-M's. I just got a set today w/S300's. Very impressive looking clubs. The M's have smaller soles than the C's. They may scare some people, but I will say that you need to give them a try. Will they kick my MP32's out of the bag?............MAYBE. Very workable, very accurate, and surprisingly not too punishing on miss hits. On solid hits they are fantastic and remind me of my all time favorite Mizuno MP11's. If I kick them out it will probably be because of the shafts.

I really like te looks of the Cs without the paint fill.

I may do that to mine.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

i love the new driver!! good ball speed off the face!

Glad to hear you liked the MT-460 Driver...we've been getting great feedback on it since samples hit the field about 3 weeks ago. Especially from folks that are sick of looking at non-classic shaped heads. For those of you that also like a crisp, non-"explosive" sound...we've got something for you there...very good acoustics. Jose Maria Olazabal and Greg Norman helped us with this Driver design quite a bit over the past couple of years. They finally put their stamp on it for release and we couldn't be prouder of it.

15-3-3-3 Beta Ti CupFace construction gives you the high ball velocity that you experienced. Try some shots off the toe and heel and you'll be particularly impressed. There's a good reason why Tour Edge exotic FW woods and Callaway FT-5 Drivers are popular...similar design concept and similar materials. We offer a similar construction at a very appealing/accessible price point ($299 with Aldila DVS shaft).

Thanks for everyone's continued interest and sharing of feedback.

Take care,

Reid Gorman

President

MacGregor Golf

Reid:

How would you compare the performance of the Aldila DVS shaft to the Proforce V2 shaft? One of the reasons I like the V2 is that it feels stable through impact. Does the DVS share this particular chatacteristic?

At the MacGregor Test Center we tested V2 on Iron Byron with Trackman at a variety of club head speeds and DVS had much tighter dispersion (10-12 yards tighter range)...very similar distance (+/- 2 yards). We also offer Bassara as a stock shaft option at a slight upcharge (about $50 retail).

Thanks, Reid.

Reid any chance of shaft upgrades?

Here are the Driver Shafts "ugrades" that we offer.

Aldila - NV SERIES WOODS, VS PROTO

Fujikura - SPEEDER 553 / 757, Z-COM, ROMBAX 60, 70, TOUR PLATFORM 26.3, 27.3, SPEEDER 904 HB, E-Series

Grafalloy - AXIS, PROLAUNCH 45, 55, 65, 75, ProLaunch Red, EPIC, BLUE

Graphite Design - YS+, PERSHING, PURPLE ICE 55,65

Mitsubishi Rayon - DIAMANA WHITE BOARD, DIAMANA BLUE/RED BOARD, BASSARA

UST - PROFORCE CLASSIC 65, 75, V2 55, 65, 75, ACCRA SC

Accuflex - EVOLUTION

If there's something not on the list that you want, we can probably get it for you if you give us a couple weeks. Your local golf shop can call our Customer Service Department (800-841-4358) and get price quotes on these upgrades.

Thanks!

Reid.

With the DVS retailing at 199.99, a lot of these "upgrades" are actually downgrades! But obviously its good to have options because getting the right shaft for your swing on this head is what is most important. But I can't wait to demo this driver, hopefully the DVS is a good fit for my swing on this head. I'm excited to try the head and the shaft both! Kudos for what sounds like an awesome lineup, and for generating a lot of buzz in here!

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 7 S

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

Odyssey Ai-One #1

Reid, you mentioned TE exotic FW woods, last year your FW woods were also Beta Ti cub face and were very hot, why did you go back to steel?

Good question...and I'll answer it honestly just like any other dialogue here. Last year in our lineup we had 2 FW woods. Both were/are really great products (despite the branding and aesthetics). MacTec NVG2 (beta ti cupface) and MacTec NVG2 Draw (steel cupface). What we found is that in a condensed sized cupface (shallow face fairway wood) there was zero difference in performance regardless of face material. This was fully tested out on Iron Byron and measured by Trackman. On a driver it does make a difference because the size of the face is so much larger and there is more rebound potential...so the benefits of a beta Ti can be tapped into further. In general, steel FW woods also have a crisper and more solid feel than Ti from a better player's perspective. We have a lot of good players at MacGregor and we are utilizing them to the fullest in player testing prior to commercialization. All of their feedback mirrored the robot/trackman testing.

By the way, our new MT fairway woods offer off the charts good performance. We've had some comments that the face is too deep, but once folks hit it that objection goes away. A deep face FW wood with a low and deep CG is not a bad thing! More versatility is provided with a deeper face, especially for those that like hitting FW woods off the tee and out of the rough.

Thanks!

Reid.