NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

I hit these clubs with the s300's but wasnt able to try them with the nippon 1150's can anyone talk about what kind of ballflight they got with the nippons? Was it a little or a lot higher then the dynamic golds.

A little higher, which I think maybe is because of the weight difference. The

solid feel of the heads and the smooth feeling of the Nippons is a pleasing

experience.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reid,

Any word/hints when the new MacGregor golf bags and apparrel (namely caps and visors) will hit the stores?? Got any pictures you can share??? I sure would love a green and white MacGegor umbrella with the new "MT" logo in the white sections of the umbrella! Hope that is in the works too!!!

Thanks and I can't wait for my irons to arrive!!! :D

ARGH!!! :)

After waiting almost 2 weeks, I finally got the call today from Edwin Watts that my MacGregors arrived and I went to pick them up. Of course, I opened the box to make sure everything was ok and the clubs had regular flex shafts and not stiff!!

Boy.....sunny and 65 degress in Houston and the darn things had to be reordered! With my luck, the new set will arrive and it will be 40 degrees and rainy! :partytime2:

My Pro C's which is the 4-5-6 irons have a very playable bounce and camber to me

out of all the lies I've tried them from. Actually sterling from a tight, hard lie.

So I'm guessing at a mid bounce with a nice crisp leading edge The camber appears to be more than my old

'67 Nicklaus/Graham Custom blades. I like these a lot, whatever they are.

TBD
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0

My Pro C's which is the 4-5-6 irons have a very playable bounce and camber to me

out of all the lies I've tried them from. Actually sterling from a tight, hard lie.

So I'm guessing at a mid bounce with a nice crisp leading edge The camber appears to be more than my old

So, IYO, these would work for a picker/sweeper or a digger/driver?

So, IYO, these would work for a picker/sweeper or a digger/driver?

I actually feel they work under most any angle of attack, a shallow or picker type

angle will produce a low shot and a steep digger attack will produce a higher shot.

I tried this out with the 4 iron and it worked quite well. Looks like they have balanced

the bounce/camber/leading edge grind to the point you would have to be very

finite about it to want to change anything. At least thats my take.

TBD
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0

Received my custom grinds a few days ago and they are magnificent! They are by far the best looking blade I have ever used and hopefully these will stop my hoing for a good while. They do look like butter knives but that is what I was going for. I can't thank Reid, Scott, Nick, and Don enough for all there help through the process. These came out better than I was expecting and I could not be happier. I will try to post pics but camera is on the fritz so it may be a few days.

Ryan

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

Received my custom grinds a few days ago and they are magnificent! They are by far the best looking blade I have ever used and hopefully these will stop my hoing for a good while. They do look like butter knives but that is what I was going for. I can't thank Reid, Scott, Nick, and Don enough for all there help through the process. These came out better than I was expecting and I could not be happier. I will try to post pics but camera is on the fritz so it may be a few days.

Ryan

Sounds great! Hope to see pics soon.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the MT cavity backs yet (the ones with the forged face on a cast body.....not the mids, however)? I haven't been able to find any comparisons in terms of forgiveness and playablity between those and the Pro-Cs.......

Sounds great! Any pics?

Uhhh, I would re-read his post.

Also, I just got on EdwinWatts.com and it looks like they sold out of their stock of Pro-M's. The link is no longer there.

Excuse me.....thanks for the correction. Must have been distracted before reading the last sentence. Glad you there to correct me.

After all the debate about the 2008 season from Macgregor, I have been able to get you guys a sneak preview of some of their new offerings. Macgregor is going back to a forged line up, Don White designs that are 1025 forged carbon steel. They expect to be available this upcoming december/january.

Good lord those blades look classy and amazing. I also love that you see "1025 forged" on them. mmmm... They might be the most beautiful set I have seen outside of my MP-33's. May also be their successor if they play equal to them.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Actually looks like I should be able to get some pics up later!!

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

Yesterday I met with the eastern PA sales rep for Macgregor, JT HOLSMAN. First let me say that JT is great guy and should be a terrific rep for Macgregor for a long time. JT braved the cold weather as well as the flu just so I could hit the new Macgregor stuff. First, the pictures truly do not do these clubs justice. Both the Pro-C and Pro-M are amazing, classic, uncluttered and beautiful. I got to hit them into a steady, cold, 20 mph wind and they were simply outstanding. I hit both of them with the S300 shafts and they feel even better than they look. Solid, buttery feel at impact. I particularly loved the M. I also hit the wedges and the woods. The wedges are tremendous as well! I hit both the satin and gunmetal finish and both are gorgeous. The profile and set up remind me very much of the VOKEY's and feel every bit as solid. After drooling over the irons and wedges I hit the MT Driver with the Bassara shaft. Again solid, uncluttered crown and classic shape and set up. Even dead into a stiff cold wind I was able to carry the ball 230-240 and straight. The fairway woods were equally enjoyable to hit, again clean uncluttered crown a slightly higher profile than my G10 4 wood. I liked the understated dual rails on the bottom to help cut through the grass. At set up I think they give you a great confident, inspiring profile that just begs to be bashed. This for both Driver and fairways. At the end of this 20 minute or so demo I was sold. I placed my order for PRO-CM in gunmetal 3-pw with the Nippon shaft, Wedges 50, 54, 58 in gunmetal, the Driver with the Bassara stiff shaft and a 4 wood !!!! I truly believe Macgregor has hit the jackpot especially with the entire iron line. All the irons are very clean and classic looking. After years of being a club ho in search of the holy grail, Macgregor has finally delivered. Back to basics and better than ever.

I picked up my new Gunmetal Pro-M irons yesterday on the way to play the Arnold Palmer course at Turtle Bay. The irons are everything I remembered from the time I demoed them a couple of months ago. Except then I could only wish for Gunmetal, now I have them in my hands.

They look even smaller in Gunmetal which is what I wanted. The top line is thin and the sole is narrow. They go through the ball and turf like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Seriously, very sweet. Everything about my irons are standard including the DG-S300 shafts. The normal trajectory is mid I would say and the ball is easy to work either way.

All in all, highly recommended.

Seems like many are going with the DG 300's with these. Can anyone comment on the 1150's in this head?

I have the 1150's and really like them. I've always been a DG fan, but

find the lighter shafts a little easier to swing at my age. These are awesome irons,

and as I said, the 1150's are smooth.

TBD
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0

Seems like many are going with the DG 300's with these. Can anyone comment on the 1150's in this head?

find the lighter shafts a little easier to swing at my age. These are awesome irons,

Hmmmm....I'm trying to decide between the 1150s, Black Golds, and Tour Concepts for my Pro-Cs.....I have the 1150s now and like them. Makes my decision very difficult.

Hmmmm....I'm trying to decide between the 1150s, Black Golds, and Tour Concepts for my Pro-Cs.....I have the 1150s now and like them. Makes my decision very difficult.

These are a great option to go alongside your NC-1's, hadn't thought about suggesting these as your other post was in the JDM section. RE shaft selection, I don't think you would go wrong with any of those shafts, provided they all fit your swing. But here is a thought: the 1150's seem to work very well for you AND Macgregor has selected them as one of their two standard shafts meaning that they probably 'work' very well with these clubs.

Every once in awhile you run accross a combination that just doesn't suit many players, or atleast that is what we read hear on the WRX. So, if the shafts work well in the club in general, and the shafts work very well for you, it sounds like the perfect combination. Good luck with them!

Are planning to re-shaft after purchase or are the BG & TC's available through custom? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Are planning to re-shaft after purchase or are the BG & TC's available through custom? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I know Tour Concepts were not available at the time I did my custom order, but I found a way around that so they will be delivered with TCs.

Guess it may be time to buy a last set of new irons. At 68, I think I will try to find a set like yours. No Mac shops around my area, but I certainly know they have always been Quality clubs. Great thread!

I'm not sure how it's done, to be honest - I didn't ask. I guy I 've dealt with before quoted me prices for the BGs, TCs, KB Tours, and Nippon 1150s. I'm not sure if he's reshafting, getting them from the factory that way or what. At this point, I'm trying to decide on which shaft and whether I want the gunmetal instead of satin.