2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

On 4/20/2024 at 12:41 PM, cjblake09 said:

What part of town are you trying to stay around?  

We are staying in Plano (Legacy Town Center area).  We don't have to stay exactly in that area but probably makes it easier.

Edited by JLew

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

5 minutes ago, JLew said:

We are staying in Plano (Legacy Town Center area).  We don't have to stay exactly in that area but probably makes it easier.

I know you said OA is getting punched but they also have The Tribute course.   Pecan Hollow is usually in good shape but would not recommend Coyote Ridge.   Indian creek is close and the creek course is sneaky hard.  If you want to hit up the Dallas muni's Tension Park and Cedar Crest are both fun.

7 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

I know you said OA is getting punched but they also have The Tribute course.   Pecan Hollow is usually in good shape but would not recommend Coyote Ridge.   Indian creek is close and the creek course is sneaky hard.  If you want to hit up the Dallas muni's Tension Park and Cedar Crest are both fun.

Tribute doesn't have any tee times.  I played it last time I was down there so figured I would try to find something different this time.

I'll look at Indian Creek.  Just trying to find something in the $75-140 range for the group.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

27 minutes ago, JLew said:

Tribute doesn't have any tee times.  I played it last time I was down there so figured I would try to find something different this time.

I'll look at Indian Creek.  Just trying to find something in the $75-140 range for the group.

You can also look at Bear Creek by the airport or Texas Star.  Texas Star has the best layout of all the courses but the greens have been suspect the last couple of months. 

7 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

You can also look at Bear Creek by the airport or Texas Star.  Texas Star has the best layout of all the courses but the greens have been suspect the last couple of months. 

I had read the same about Texas Star in this topic so decided to avoid that.  We were going to do Texas Rangers but they have an event.

I'll check out Bear Creek too.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

6 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

What would you say comparing Indian Creek to Pecan Hollow?  Which one is better conditions and which one is better golf?

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

12 hours ago, JLew said:

What would you say comparing Indian Creek to Pecan Hollow?  Which one is better conditions and which one is better golf?

can only vouch for Indian Creek but it’s in good shape and if you get there early you can snag one of their motorcycle carts. 

Titleist TSR3  | GD Tour AD XC 6X

Titleist 915F 15° | Fuji Ventus TR Blue 7X

Callaway UW 19° | GD Tour AD XC 8X

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW | PX Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 (50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M) | DG S200

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classics

Ball | Chrome Soft X LS

Coming to Dallas next weekend for a golf trip with a buddy who's never been. I used to live down there so I know most of the courses but if anyone has condition reports on the places I'm thinking of it'd be appreciated. Already threw out Texas Star, which I always liked based on what I've seen about the greens.

Thinking TX Rangers should be a safe bet to be good given that a tournament is there this week. Have a tee time at Heritage Ranch, never played it but heard good things. Going to toss in a few city munis for nostalgias sake and to keep the cost down- anyone played Stevens recently? I heard the greens were garbage last year.

Have one more round I'm not sure what to do with - any suggestions on the Dallas side in the $100 range?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, cpm630 said:

Coming to Dallas next weekend for a golf trip with a buddy who's never been. I used to live down there so I know most of the courses but if anyone has condition reports on the places I'm thinking of it'd be appreciated. Already threw out Texas Star, which I always liked based on what I've seen about the greens.

Thinking TX Rangers should be a safe bet to be good given that a tournament is there this week. Have a tee time at Heritage Ranch, never played it but heard good things. Going to toss in a few city munis for nostalgias sake and to keep the cost down- anyone played Stevens recently? I heard the greens were garbage last year.

Have one more round I'm not sure what to do with - any suggestions on the Dallas side in the $100 range?

Thanks!

I would do Waterchase over Rangers if you are going to be out that way but that is just me.  For the muni's Tenison and Cedar are your better bets.  

4 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Played Pecan Hollow this morning and it is in good shape and the greens were perfect.  

I need to get down there to play.

The wife plays in the Wednesday morning ladies play day most weeks and will be there in the morning. She really, really likes Pecan Hollow as it is one of the more lady-friendly courses there is. 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:33 PM, North Texas said:

I need to get down there to play.

The wife plays in the Wednesday morning ladies play day most weeks and will be there in the morning. She really, really likes Pecan Hollow as it is one of the more lady-friendly courses there is. 

Update

As expected, the wife said Pecan Hollow did not disappoint. Of course, she did shoot 76. 

Edited by North Texas
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 2:21 PM, cjblake09 said:

Frisco Lakes just punched all the fairways and did a heavy sand on the greens.

Just got an email from Grapevine muni that a tournament got postponed and they have a bunch of open tee times for Friday if you want to snag a hard to get tee time. 

Played frisco lakes yesterday with the punched greens/fairways and sand and it actually wasn't tooooo bad. Definitely threw off my putting.

Still an enjoyable round.

• Like 1

Played the front 9 at Frisco Lakes yesterday, course is almost back to 100% shape. Greens still have the punched look and are sandy in some places. they feel a little inconsistent, some are slow, and some are REALLY slow so it was impossible to get putting dialed in.

PLP membership is 1000000% worth it. Quick 9s after work for $10 are a great way to be outside.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wedemmoez said:

Played the front 9 at Frisco Lakes yesterday, course is almost back to 100% shape. Greens still have the punched look and are sandy in some places. they feel a little inconsistent, some are slow, and some are REALLY slow so it was impossible to get putting dialed in.

PLP membership is 1000000% worth it. Quick 9s after work for $10 are a great way to be outside.

I was there a couple of weeks and saw they had dug up the chipping area near clubhouse to put something new in. Someone on here said it was a putting course. Do you know if the bunker and green at the end of the driving range along Stonebrook is open for short game practice? It's the only thing keeping me from signing up for the PLP. I live less than 3 mins from Frisco Trails, but would rather hit in my garage using a net and launch monitor on a 100 degree day than hit balls off the concrete there. 

Hey guys, making the trip down south with a couple buddies from Northwest Arkansas  to DFW area 1st week of June...6 straight days of golf!  Here is our tentative list in order....  Open to any suggestions not on the list and any knowledge on current course conditions we should be made of ?

Another item hoping for help with is trying to save a few bucks here and there by walking some of these courses. Are any of these courses hilly enough where walking should not be considered? 

1) Stevens Park- seeing greens are in poor condition looking to maybe pivot to Pecan Hollow? Looking for 1st round to be close to DFW airport.  

2)Squaw Valley Links and Lakes... thinking of trying to play both courses on same day. 

3)Pine Dunes

4)Texas Star- seeing some poor condition reviews, maybe audible to Hawks Creek ? 

5)Tierra Verde- I have played this course and loved it. 

6)The Tribute- Love idea of links style course with no trees... is it worth the price ? 

7)Sugar Tree

8)Canyon West 

6 hours ago, spicyhawg said:

Hey guys, making the trip down south with a couple buddies from Northwest Arkansas  to DFW area 1st week of June...6 straight days of golf!  Here is our tentative list in order....  Open to any suggestions not on the list and any knowledge on current course conditions we should be made of ?

Another item hoping for help with is trying to save a few bucks here and there by walking some of these courses. Are any of these courses hilly enough where walking should not be considered? 

1) Stevens Park- seeing greens are in poor condition looking to maybe pivot to Pecan Hollow? Looking for 1st round to be close to DFW airport.  

2)Squaw Valley Links and Lakes... thinking of trying to play both courses on same day. 

3)Pine Dunes

4)Texas Star- seeing some poor condition reviews, maybe audible to Hawks Creek ? 

5)Tierra Verde- I have played this course and loved it. 

6)The Tribute- Love idea of links style course with no trees... is it worth the price ? 

7)Sugar Tree

8)Canyon West 

Substitute Waterchase for Texas Star.  Only a few miles apart.  WC is in pristine condition.

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X