Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

9 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Poa in Bermuda greens is such an easy issue to solve. It is at max a few thousand dollars per application 3 weeks apart for the duration of the fall / winter / early spring. Anyone who isn't doing it is just either very cheap, or doesn't care, or both.

What do you think is going on there? Isn't Texas Star normally one of the better kept public courses? I've only played it once a couple of years ago and it was top notch from tee to green. 

14 hours ago, North Texas said:

Re: Texas Star greens

I found the November 2023 issue of Avid Golfer where they did the Best of Public Golf and here is what they said about Texas Star.

Like several courses in DFW this year, Texas Star Golf Course fought soe Poa Annua on their greens in the late winter/early spring. 

They aren't fighting it. And it probably isn't the super's decision. Most likely ownership doesn't care because they still have a full tee sheet, why spend a few bucks when it's packed every day.

I honestly don't know how guys can work at these places, it's an embarrassment to our industry as a whole. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:44 AM, txbadger said:

anyone have any opinion on M&P group?  they own three courses (Shady Valley in Arlington, Cascades in Tyler, and recently bought Coyote Ridge in Carrollton).   Understand that its not a full private (rumor is they are heading that way) and ofc not nearly as good as member owned, but think the initiation is something like $5k/450 per month for CR.    I don't have any experience with any of the courses nor know much about M&P so any input would be appreciated.   CR is pretty close to me. 

I belong to Cascades which is fully private (other than giving 10 rounds a day to people who live in the apartment complex next door)

They bought the course when our club house flooded in the winter storm in February 2021.

The dues have not been increased but we did pay full dues for the almost 3 years the clubhouse was being redone. I pay $430 a month for the 30-39 age group.

They just got the club house open in December but all the prices of F and B have gone up. (to be expected) A beer is $4.50 now for reference.

The initiation is 5k but the tee sheet as already packed.

As long as they keep the prices reasonable and keep the golf course in good/very good condition I don't think there will be any issues. 

Edited by golfwb
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

On 3/13/2024 at 2:27 PM, JetSpeed79 said:

Played Bridlewood today. In great shape (as always) and the greens are still some of the best in the metroplex. Fast and true. Such a fun course. I wish it was closer to me. 

Anyone know if Sky Creek Ranch has recovered from their fight with the city?

Bridlewood is terrible. Nobody should play there. Go somewhere else. 

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Any recommendations for an SMU student just getting into the game, please? He's looking for a decent practice facility and obviously budget is a factor. Thought that getting him a junior membership at a private club might be a possibility, but the other Dallas golf thread has disabused me of that notion.  We're in Atlanta and members at TPC Sugarloaf. Unfortunately TPC Las Colinas doesn't have full reciprocity as it's designated resort/daily fee in their network. All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

1 hour ago, CPT_LHR_ATL said:

Any recommendations for an SMU student just getting into the game, please? He's looking for a decent practice facility and obviously budget is a factor. Thought that getting him a junior membership at a private club might be a possibility, but the other Dallas golf thread has disabused me of that notion.  We're in Atlanta and members at TPC Sugarloaf. Unfortunately TPC Las Colinas doesn't have full reciprocity as it's designated resort/daily fee in their network. All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Just let him drink and chaise tail in college and he can figure out golf after.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, CPT_LHR_ATL said:

are you looking for a top of the line place or just a place to practice?  Tension, Firewheel in Garland, the Golf Ranch in Richardson, Pecan Hollow all have reasonable places to practice and are not that far from SMU. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:24 PM, CPT_LHR_ATL said:

I ranked them to the best of my knowledge, I live near SMU and have tried all the options nearby.

1. Pecan Hollow - lights, par 3 practice course, good grass only range. The best spot near him

2. Sherrill park and Firewheel both are a little closer and have great short game areas too. Decent ranges

3. Cedar crest is a good course, decent practice area as well that’s not too far away

4. keeton park is the cheapest option. Not a bad spot either and based on the traffic, is often the closest place to SMU

5. tension  - range is terrible, but the closest course (highlands is better than the glen by a lot, but glen is a decent course to practice on and tinker)

6. Highlands performance golf center is another good spot with lights on the range at night. Definitely the priciest and a little further away

you can also rent a trackman at pga tour superstore at 75 and George bush for like $25 an hour or something cheap. Another good option

avoid duck creek. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:53 AM, CPT_LHR_ATL said:

That was my own approach! He has got the golf bug pretty bad though and seems more interested in grinding on the range than the dance floor. Kids these days ...

Considering the way things are with social media and I will say..."expectations", he might be better off at the range!

On 3/18/2024 at 6:20 PM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

I ranked them to the best of my knowledge, I live near SMU and have tried all the options nearby.

1. Pecan Hollow - lights, par 3 practice course, good grass only range. The best spot near him

2. Sherrill park and Firewheel both are a little closer and have great short game areas too. Decent ranges

3. Cedar crest is a good course, decent practice area as well that’s not too far away

4. keeton park is the cheapest option. Not a bad spot either and based on the traffic, is often the closest place to SMU

5. tension  - range is terrible, but the closest course (highlands is better than the glen by a lot, but glen is a decent course to practice on and tinker)

6. Highlands performance golf center is another good spot with lights on the range at night. Definitely the priciest and a little further away

you can also rent a trackman at pga tour superstore at 75 and George bush for like $25 an hour or something cheap. Another good option

avoid duck creek. 

Thank you! That is very helpful.

10 hours ago, callawayjay said:

@gs1184 and I drove out to pine dunes today. Greens were swift. Course needs another 2-3 weeks to pop. Always one of my favorites. Just a solid course. 

I was thinking about making a trip over there after seeing some of their IG posts but thanks for the heads up.  I still have not played Tempest and i think the better deal might be to go early play PD then head to Tempest and stay at their condos and play it then head home. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

I was thinking about making a trip over there after seeing some of their IG posts but thanks for the heads up.  I still have not played Tempest and i think the better deal might be to go early play PD then head to Tempest and stay at their condos and play it then head home. 

Tempest, for me is a much grander property but hole for hole PD is the better course. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:24 PM, CPT_LHR_ATL said:

Scruffy's never heard the words "SMU student" and "budget" in the same sentence.

If he's serious about getting into it, there's a GolfTec facility just across the highway from campus if he doesn't mind practicing on an indoor simulator.  His best outdoor options were listed above, and I'm sure he can make friends with someone whose parents belong to one of the local private clubs.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Scruffy's never heard the words "SMU student" and "budget" in the same sentence.

If he's serious about getting into it, there's a GolfTec facility just across the highway from campus if he doesn't mind practicing on an indoor simulator.  His best outdoor options were listed above, and I'm sure he can make friends with someone whose parents belong to one of the local private clubs.

Don't know why Mr. Atlanta laughed your comment off. Because that is great advice and the only way he is getting on one of the top clubs in Dallas consistently. All the money in the world won't buy you in to a top club in Dallas without years of waiting. I wish it wasn't the case but it is right now.

47 minutes ago, North Texas said:

A course I've been wondering about that doesn't get talked about much on here is Tangle Ridge. 

Anyone played it lately and how was it?

Played it last week. They are battling poa in the greens. Apparently they are going to just wait for the heat to burn it out instead of treating it. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cval said:

It is good not great condition. Greens are good. Still a lot of bare patches, there supposed to be doing a lot of sodding this summer. Bring a bunch of balls if you miss the green the ball is probably lost. 

Thanks, playing there Mon. Have played there before but not since their fight with the city over watering. Hopefully they can return to their former glory. Course was always in great shape before that.