2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

9 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Texas star-   Stay away!  Greens are trash probably the worst I have played in the area in a while.  

IMG_2732.jpeg

It's hard to tell from the picture, do they roll bad or do they just look weird. Looks like the drainage lines are more dormant than the other areas which is relatively normal considering how warm we have been lately. Not saying they look awesome, just curious as my next venture  will probably be bermuda instead of bent that I'm used to.

Edited by TexasTurf

7 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

It's hard to tell from the picture, do they roll bad or do they just look weird. Looks like the drainage lines are more dormant than the other areas which is relatively normal considering how warm we have been lately. Not saying they look awesome, just curious as my next venture  will probably be bermuda instead of bent that I'm used to.

Yes the rolled bad and your ball got air born multiple times on putts.  Lots of what looked like Po Ana on them and they were soft to the point of making big ball marks on approach shots.   Which is weird bc most other courses greens are so firm right now i am hardly seeing any ball marks. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Yes the rolled bad and your ball got air born multiple times on putts.  Lots of what looked like Po Ana on them and they were soft to the point of making big ball marks on approach shots.   Which is weird bc most other courses greens are so firm right now i am hardly seeing any ball marks. 

Thanks

Potentially moving to DFW. Can anybody provide a list of affordable member-owned private clubs in the DFW area? I’m not interested in paying much more than $20k initiation but that is negotiable. Extremely disinterested in ClubCorp/Invited clubs. Horrible previous experiences with those clowns. I’ve been a member of all levels of clubs and I seem to enjoy the lesser expensive, Busch Lite drinking crowd more than most. Good greens are my non-negotiable. Anything else I can stomach. We’ve yet to make a decision of where we will live in the DFW metroplex, so we’re open to all options. No kids and my gf isn’t a golfer and couldn’t care less. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Judge Smales

1 hour ago, Judge Smales said:

Potentially moving to DFW. Can anybody provide a list of affordable member-owned private clubs in the DFW area? I’m not interested in paying much more than $20k initiation but that is negotiable. Extremely disinterested in ClubCorp/Invited clubs. Horrible previous experiences with those clowns. I’ve been a member of all levels of clubs and I seem to enjoy the lesser expensive, Busch Lite drinking crowd more than most. Good greens are my non-negotiable. Anything else I can stomach. We’ve yet to make a decision of where we will live in the DFW metroplex, so we’re open to all options. No kids and my gf isn’t a golfer and couldn’t care less. Thanks in advance. 

Under $20k, not a lot. But here’s a list that does a decent job at gathering info and will hopefully get your wheels turning. Tons of ClubCorp courses here though. Depends a lot also on where your work will be & where you want to live in town, it’s not fun trying to get around town if you’re not close to your club & office. For example, I live 4 miles away from my office, and right now I have a 20 minute drive home (I’m in North Dallas). If you have to take a highway to get to your club, it’ll be a ton of traffic and time wasted on the roads

https://myavidgolfer.com/cover-story-best-of-private-golf-2023/

1 minute ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Under $20k, not a lot. But here’s a list that does a decent job at gathering info and will hopefully get your wheels turning. Tons of ClubCorp courses here though. Depends a lot also on where your work will be & where you want to live in town, it’s not fun trying to get around town if you’re not close to your club & office. For example, I live 4 miles away from my office, and right now I have a 20 minute drive home (I’m in North Dallas). If you have to take a highway to get to your club, it’ll be a ton of traffic and time wasted on the roads

https://myavidgolfer.com/cover-story-best-of-private-golf-2023/

Thank you. Understood. I live in Houston now, so I get that part of it, unfortunately. We should have plenty of options for where we live, as the office will be at home. I’ll be a road warrior for the most part. I could be schmoozed into a Club Corp course, but would much rather belong to a member owned place. Would you consider Dallas or FW having better options for private clubs?

5 hours ago, Judge Smales said:

Thank you. Understood. I live in Houston now, so I get that part of it, unfortunately. We should have plenty of options for where we live, as the office will be at home. I’ll be a road warrior for the most part. I could be schmoozed into a Club Corp course, but would much rather belong to a member owned place. Would you consider Dallas or FW having better options for private clubs?

With the market in DFW right now no one is going to schmooze you, you have to schmooze them. 

17 hours ago, Judge Smales said:

Sounds like you need to join Rockwall Golf and Athletic club. Fits your budget, the beverages and left handed cigarettes flow big time and you can find just about any money game you want. If you're a +5 or 18 index there is action for you if you want it. Place is great! Re-grassed fairways and greens 2 years ago and conditions have been solid since!

• Like 1

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"

1 hour ago, iACE13 said:

Sounds like you need to join Rockwall Golf and Athletic club. Fits your budget, the beverages and left handed cigarettes flow big time and you can find just about any money game you want. If you're a +5 or 18 index there is action for you if you want it. Place is great! Re-grassed fairways and greens 2 years ago and conditions have been solid since!

My lung dart days are behind me, but thems are my kind of people!! Great to hear of the conditioning. I still have some game and carry a plus handicap, but my best days are spent with dudes trying to break 80. Greatly appreciate your reply. I’ll certainly be looking into it. 

If you're up for living in the burbs, Hurricane Creek in Anna fits what you're looking for. We're closing down for a Beau Welling redesign for almost all of 2026 though. Initiation is going to skyrocket after we re-open I assume. 

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

I joined Diamond Oaks a year ago and I’ve been happy with it. Course is tight, par 70, and small greens. It’s pretty no frills but the range and chipping area is good for my practice. It’s cheap too. Don’t hear much about it so maybe it’s a good secret? Public course comparison I’d say it’s like an Indian Creek. Easy to walk too.

Conditions wise I’d say it’s more like a private public course than a typical country club but greens and fairways are good. The typical trouble spots of under trees and in low lying areas you are going to be on bare spots. 

• Like 1

I joined Diamond Oaks a year ago and I’ve been happy with it. Course is tight, par 70, and small greens. It’s pretty no frills but the range and chipping area is good for my practice. It’s cheap too. Don’t hear much about it so maybe it’s a good secret? Public course comparison I’d say it’s like an Indian Creek. Easy to walk too.

Conditions wise I’d say it’s more like a private public course than a typical country club but greens and fairways are good. The typical trouble spots of under trees and in low lying areas you are going to be on bare spots. 

6 hours ago, Judge Smales said:

My lung dart days are behind me, but thems are my kind of people!! Great to hear of the conditioning. I still have some game and carry a plus handicap, but my best days are spent with dudes trying to break 80. Greatly appreciate your reply. I’ll certainly be looking into it. 

Old American/The Tribute is probably the best deal for around 10K and $600 all in.  They are not fully private but with their rates in the mornings they do not get much public play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cjblake09 said:

Old American/The Tribute is probably the best deal for around 10K and $600 all in.  They are not fully private but with their rates in the mornings they do not get much public play. 

This is the only one I’m seriously considering. 30 min drive puts them right on the edge of my distance limit for going somewhere 4/5 days a week. But that’s pretty much the only con. 

I’m happy with my current situation but if things change this is my next move for sure.