2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

9 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Nope, not at all. Bent loves and thrives in the cold. That's when it is at its best. Only problem like North Texas posted above is that without covering the soil freezes and you have to wait for the top 1/2 inch or so thaws out to be playable, otherwise it is harder than concrete. We finally opened ours this afternoon as well. More because the fwys were frozen solid and didn't want people destroying wrists hitting that. In Japan they play on frosty bent every day, no problems or damage in the winter.

Always love learning about stuff like this. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:14 PM, Texassippian said:

Has anyone played Canyon Creek since the course was redone?  What’s the feedback on it now versus before? 

It didn't re-open till right before thanksgiving so everything by then was mostly dormant, will have a better grasp in the Spring when everything comes in. Next few months they are working inside on restaurant, pro shop, and then adding a small fitness center. 

They added length which was much needed and re-did the 18th hole (it's now a water hole) which a lot of people complained how bland it was previously. They had already done bunker and tee box work pre covid, so those areas weren't weak. Greens, fairways, and irrigation where all 3 much needed 

They did a good job, but it will still be a tough sell for people that only care about golf only. Combination of the 4 closest ClubCorp clubs being multi course (canyon creek is only a single), the practice facility is still tiny, very few memorable holes, and it's hard to justify $800 a month + $30k initiation when you live within 15 minutes of Firewheel, Pecan Hollow, and Sherill Park. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:03 PM, 560ti said:

It didn't re-open till right before thanksgiving so everything by then was mostly dormant, will have a better grasp in the Spring when everything comes in. Next few months they are working inside on restaurant, pro shop, and then adding a small fitness center. 

They added length which was much needed and re-did the 18th hole (it's now a water hole) which a lot of people complained how bland it was previously. They had already done bunker and tee box work pre covid, so those areas weren't weak. Greens, fairways, and irrigation where all 3 much needed 

They did a good job, but it will still be a tough sell for people that only care about golf only. Combination of the 4 closest ClubCorp clubs being multi course (canyon creek is only a single), the practice facility is still tiny, very few memorable holes, and it's hard to justify $800 a month + $30k initiation when you live within 15 minutes of Firewheel, Pecan Hollow, and Sherill Park. 

Yikes? Granted my membership is twilight only, but I renewed at Heritage for $350/mo. I don't think the full 7-day is even $800, and this a pretty darn nice course. 

These courses should all be awesome when spring kicks in. Believe it or not Dallas has a pretty tough and cold winter. At least it is playable but winter here sucks in my opinion, even with top tier courses. Cold, wet, sloppy, delays every day. It is what it is. We have all the resources in the world but there's only so much you can do when even bentgrass isn't growing.

• Like 2

Played Westridge on Thu. First time I’d been able to play in a few weeks. Obviously pretty soggy but I was happy to see that the tarps worked and the greens hadn’t been torched by the freeze. Bodes well for the Spring. 

6 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

These courses should all be awesome when spring kicks in. Believe it or not Dallas has a pretty tough and cold winter. At least it is playable but winter here sucks in my opinion, even with top tier courses. Cold, wet, sloppy, delays every day. It is what it is. We have all the resources in the world but there's only so much you can do when even bentgrass isn't growing.

• Like 1

Played Winstar Scissortail on Sunday. Extremely soggy but hard to beat for $55 when everything else is $90+. 

Titleist TSR3  | GD Tour AD XC 6X

Titleist 915F 15° | Fuji Ventus TR Blue 7X

Callaway UW 19° | GD Tour AD XC 8X

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW | PX Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 (50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M) | DG S200

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classics

Ball | Chrome Soft X LS

On 1/27/2024 at 12:40 AM, TexasTurf said:

The next week looks a lot better. Courses with drainage aren't too bad this time of year; we got a lot of rain last week though, which is unusual for January. 

I'm playing Heritage today and will report back. 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:33 PM, RoyalMustang said:

The next week looks a lot better. Courses with drainage aren't too bad this time of year; we got a lot of rain last week though, which is unusual for January. 

I'm playing Heritage today and will report back. 

How was Heritage?  I like the course but not sure i can stomach the $100+ green fees.  

• Like 1

What, if any, courses in the DFW have bent greens that are open to public play?

Ping G430 Max HL 11* Alta Quick 45

Ping G 430 Max HL 5W Alta Quick 45

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 5h 27*

Titleist T300 8 & PW (Tensei Red AM2 Regular)

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50* & 54* Graphite

LAB Golf DF3 35"

19 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

I think Northwood and Preston Trail are some of the only courses in DFW still using bent grass greens.  I don’t know of any public courses that do. 

This information is a little dated, but the 2020 Avid Golfer Private Course review showed almost 20 private courses with bent greens. 

Edited by North Texas

20 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

I think Northwood and Preston Trail are some of the only courses in DFW still using bent grass greens.  I don’t know of any public courses that do. 

Almost all of the equity clubs use Bentgrass (Northwood, Preston Trail, Colonial, DCC, Lakewood, Dallas National, Bent Tree, Brook Hollow, Shady Oaks). Royal oaks is the only equity club I know of in the area that does not use Bentgrass. 

1 hour ago, North Texas said:

This information is a little dated, but the 2020 Avid Golfer Private Course review showed almost 20 private courses with bent greens. 

Yes Bentgrass is common especially the high dollar clubs that can afford to maintain it in the summer. 

Brook Hollow a few years back installed a sub terrain green cooling/heating system and the Colonial is finishing that same renovation right now. Northwood I've seen in the heat of the summer multiple water carts that ride around and hose off the greens manually throughout the peak heat times of the day. 

21 hours ago, Shane Cavitt said:

What, if any, courses in the DFW have bent greens that are open to public play?

Turtle Hill, PGA Frisco, Bridlewood, Firewheel (Bridges). Texas Star had Bent Grass until 2015 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 560ti said:

Almost all of the equity clubs use Bentgrass (Northwood, Preston Trail, Colonial, DCC, Lakewood, Dallas National, Bent Tree, Brook Hollow, Shady Oaks). Royal oaks is the only equity club I know of in the area that does not use Bentgrass. 

Yes Bentgrass is common especially the high dollar clubs that can afford to maintain it in the summer. 

Brook Hollow a few years back installed a sub terrain green cooling/heating system and the Colonial is finishing that same renovation right now. Northwood I've seen in the heat of the summer multiple water carts that ride around and hose off the greens manually throughout the peak heat times of the day. 

Turtle Hill, PGA Frisco, Bridlewood, Firewheel (Bridges). Texas Star had Bent Grass until 2015 

When did Bridlewood go to bent?

Another equity club with bentgrass greens is Hurricane Creek up in Anna. We're not exactly what you would call a "high dollar club" but our super does a damn good job with them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, North Texas said:

Another equity club with bentgrass greens is Hurricane Creek up in Anna. We're not exactly what you would call a "high dollar club" but our super does a damn good job with them. 

They originally opened with bent but converted to Bermuda years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, North Texas said:

2 hours ago, tlknight said:

They originally opened with bent but converted to Bermuda years ago. 

Thanks for the correction. They did open with bent grass in 1997 and the review I found in 2018 said Bent Grass but it looks like now it's Tifeagle Bermuda 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:47 PM, cjblake09 said:

How was Heritage?  I like the course but not sure i can stomach the $100+ green fees.  

As of yesterday it's playing really well. The fairways are mostly dried out. 

yeah, it isn't cheap though. I live nearby and have a memebership. 

On 2/1/2024 at 9:02 AM, North Texas said:

Most of the high end clubs in DFW are still running bent greens. There are benefits and drawbacks to both bent and bermuda. There's not really a better choice in our area year round. Bermuda much better in summer but lacking in off season. Bent much better in spring, fall, and winter, but lacks in summer. Both can be pretty good all year but in our area neither can be great the whole year. It is what it is.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, 560ti said:

Trinity Forest has bermuda greens. 

Also, PGA Frisco does not have bentgrass greens. 

Edited by iACE13
  • Like 1

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"

Played a few this week:

Frisco Lakes-Not in bad shape for this time of year.  The greens are rolling nice as well.

Indian Creek-Same as not in bad shape and maybe a little more grass on the fairways than Lakes.  Once you get off the fairway it is mainly dirt/mud.  Also, with the green complexes they don't have that many options for pin locations so a lot of old hole marks.  

• Like 2