Bandon Itinerary and Qs

newg33b

There are **lots** of mini loops on the three seaside courses, and even one on Trails. Ask at the pro shop, or really just do a careful study of the course map; they pretty much jump out. The things to key off of are:

1. Pacific #7 green is right by the Punchbowl

2. OM #4 green/#5 tee is right by an access road that pops over the ridge to the clubhouse

3. BD is the only one with 9 out/9 in to the clubhouse.

With that knowledge, you can skip around quite a bit in the late hours, even hop courses. It's one of the things that makes going solo really special. Let the pro shop know what you have in mind; they're cool with it. And you'll probably be approached by a marshall as it gets close to sundown. He'll ask you what your plan is for making sure you get in by dark. Have one.

Dark comes _really_ quick, once the sun goes down...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 4 weeks later...

> @BUCKEYERBALL88 said:

> Is 4 days of 36 too much at Bandon? Preserve & trails on day 4. Caddy only for the afternoon rounds. My 2nd trip there. I walk most of my rounds with a push cart in Phx October-April

If you're already used to walking it will be doable. It's the repeated 36 hole days without a rest day that tend to wear you down. If you walk repeated days in a row I'm betting you'll be able to handle it, especially using a caddy for the afternoon rounds.

I want to book my flights this week. I’d like your opinion please.

Option A: Fly wed, 36 holes a day for 4 days. Caddies for the afternoon rounds only.

+: get to play each course at least once and my 2 favorites (old Mac & pacific) from last time 2x. Including diff winds

-: flight is more expensive as well as additional $ for golf, hotel, rental car, could be fatigued

This is what I originally booked back in dec. thinking it may be a lot of golf and kinda pricey

Option b:

Same as above but play 36, 18, 36, 36

Option c:

Fly thurs: 36 holes for 3 days. Play pacific dunes 2x, every other course 1x,

+ saves about $400

- only play old Mac once, which I have at #6 on my favorite courses I’ve ever played list above pebble and royal county down

I'm doing @ the same next Oct. Fly in on Tuesday, 36/day x 4, fly out on Sunday. But - caddies for both rounds each day. Had thought about working in an 18 hole day but with the Sheep Ranch opening - there's almost no chance of that LOL.

I already walk 80-100x a year as it is but I will be ramping it up before we go out there.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

As you can see from the thread, I ended up settling on something that's probably most like Option B for you. Based on recommendations here and thinking back to my previous Bandon trip (even though it was 5 years ago!), I was pretty pooped the second day in my afternoon round from the firm turf and lots of walking. I made the call for my upcoming trip to do 31 holes (Preserve and a round of 18, Pacific Dunes in my case) on the second day to take it a little easier. Then I'll do 36 on my 3rd day and wrap up with 18 on my last day before flying out. I was of the opinion (and you can see again, my thought process above) that I was much more likely to say "dang I wish I had played one more round at Bandon" after the fact than "dang I played too much golf at Bandon" so I went with the extra round on my last day. And like others have advised, you'll likely have more flexibility if you're going solo (not sure if that's the case).

> @migolfke said:

> Option A. You can always cut an 18 hole round the second or third day last minute and play the preserve that evening if you think the body needs a rest.

Agree with @migolfke. I take it as I don't go to Bandon that often and it's way the hell out of the way that I may as well make the most of it if within my budget. I did 4x36 and had no issues. That also means making sure you get proper rest the night before and nutrition during the round.

Just returned from 5 days in Bandon on Sunday. Its my 3rd trip with 2 sons who are 34 and 31 I'm 62, after our previous trips and experience we came up with this schedule.

We're from the Bay Area and decided to drive this time after our flight from SFO was canceled on our trip in 2017 (absolute nightmare). (9 hour drive vs. 7 hours by plane with al the extra hurdles ,flight is 1.25 hours). Wednesday the 10th we arrived at 4 pm checked in to Chrome Lake and went straight to the range, had hopes of playing Shorty's after practice but they were using the south range so could only play 3 holes at Shorty's but worked out ok. Day 2 Old Mac at 8:40 then straight to Bandon Trails for the afternoon round. Day 3 we decided on a rest day and booked Pacific Dunes at 11:40, slept in, had breakfast,had time for the range then our round.We then went to the Punchbowl for 2 hours and had the time of our lives, great relaxation with dinner at Pacific grill.This day paid off since all of us we're tired from 36 the day before.Day 4 we played Bandon Dunes at 7:40 then played Pacific Dunes again in the afternoon.For me at my age the rest day made all the difference and it helped my boys too.Day 5 was get away day so we got up early and played the Preserve, which we do every trip. It's our going away present to ourselves since you don't want to leave.We then shower, check out, have lunch and drive home.Suggestions: I always buy new shoes (2) pair before going to Bandon and make sure there broken in and I buy new non oem insoles.Make sure to change socks in between rounds,bring snacks,water and sunscreen(use it).

Our new delimma is how to build our schedule next year, we're going back to play Sheep Ranch,so we'll probably add an extra day.PS walk, jog, ride a bike or treadmill but make sure you get in shape to walk 11-12 miles per day and needless to say it's not flat, it'll add to your enjoyment.Last suggestion is don't be cheap and take a caddie it always pays off.

> @BUCKEYERBALL88 said:

> Just booked my flight aa to Medford. 2 years ago I did Allegiant to Eugene. Do you guys have a preference between the 2 airports? I see that Medford is about 20 mins longer. I liked the Medford flight times better, a bit shorter flight, switch up the ride & the rental car was about $100 less.

We flew into Medford and out of Eugene a couple of months ago. We had late night flight into Medford and very early out of Eugene. The hotel situation was a lot better in Medford. You can walk from the airport to the Marriott Courtyard. It’s about 3 minutes. Not really any airport hotels in Eugene that I know of. Other than that, either one was fine. I would say whichever one works best time wise. The difference in drive times is negligible.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28