Charleston Golf Advice

CFA Jay

Patriot’s Point has nice views. It’s an open course but not overly challenging. Last year it was not in the best shape. It wasn’t bad, but the greens were rough. My round took over 5 hours but the group I was paired with was playing like they were in a major. I assume they had money on the round. There are probably at least 5 other courses that are better. Legend Oaks, Wescott Plantation, Coosaw Creek, Charleston National, and Dunes.

Patriots Point is under new Managment and has put a lot of money and improvements into the course in recent months. Greens still a little slowish, but views are outstanding and out of towners (like yourself and your guests maybe) really eat that up. Course design isn’t spectacular but it’s forgiving and open - which is usually good for “client events” , unless they all happen to be low handicaps. It’s hands down closest to Downtown Charleston. You may just consider another round at one of the other Kiawah courses- they are all great and beat most every non-resort course in the area IMO.

If you're staying downtown, Patriots would be you best bet for an extra round. Like HOT mentioned, they are turning things for the better as of late although apparently the 18th is going to be drastically changed somewhat soon and will not be a good change (block the ocean view)

If you're in north charleston near the air port, I would hit up wescott or Coosaw Creek.

On your way to kiawah, if it is a school day you're going down, leave about 30 minutes earlier than you think. around the James Island connector and further onto johns island, school traffic will suck.

Forever Changing at this point.......

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is always another KI course. Just like HOT. Hands down best conditions, pace, and most importantly food. Cons are price and distance. Oak Point is not all the way out, but only snack bar for food. Cougar has new clubhouse, good food. Cougar is just inside the gate. Played Cougar Saturday. Great shape. PP is closest to downtown, but not the most exciting. I know they are cleaning out down 18 for views, my neighbor is grinding all the stumps out. Stono Ferry is not bad, but it is drive too. PapaJ is dead on with the traffic comment. I work 3 min from patriots point and live near Kiawah.

I would avoid Patriots unless location is most important, aside from the last couple holes on the harbor it's forgettable and as mentioned not usually in good shape, and not a good value. In addition to Stono, would add Wild Dunes (links course) and Rivertowne if you don't do another KI course. Both are resort type layouts within 20-30 mins of downtown. Rivertowne currently lost a bunch of fairways and is in terrible shape but by Oct should be fixed (this past early/mid spring it was in fantastic shape).

• 4 weeks later...

> @Kevlar10 said:

> Check out Stono Ferry. It’s a beautiful course and I’ve always found it to be in good condition.

I disagree. I think Stono was a very nice course 10 years ago. It is now overran by construction and, IMO, not worth the price or drive out to Hollywood. For the money, you are better off playing Charleston National.

> @"Driver Eight" said:

> I would avoid Patriots unless location is most important, aside from the last couple holes on the harbor it's forgettable and as mentioned not usually in good shape, and not a good value. In addition to Stono, would add Wild Dunes (links course) and Rivertowne if you don't do another KI course. Both are resort type layouts within 20-30 mins of downtown. Rivertowne currently lost a bunch of fairways and is in terrible shape but by Oct should be fixed (this past early/mid spring it was in fantastic shape).

I absolutely agree. If you want a middle level golf course with very “Charleston” views (bridge, harbor, etc.) then go to Patriots. Patriots Pointe, IMO, is overpriced for the quality of the course and how the staff acts. You would think the Patriots Pointe staff believes the course is Augusta National. If you want nice views for money go to Rivertowne or Charleston National. If you want to spend a little more, go to Wild Dunes Links Course.

> @Mkharrison said:

> > @"Driver Eight" said:

> > I would avoid Patriots unless location is most important, aside from the last couple holes on the harbor it's forgettable and as mentioned not usually in good shape, and not a good value. In addition to Stono, would add Wild Dunes (links course) and Rivertowne if you don't do another KI course. Both are resort type layouts within 20-30 mins of downtown. Rivertowne currently lost a bunch of fairways and is in terrible shape but by Oct should be fixed (this past early/mid spring it was in fantastic shape).

>

> I absolutely agree. If you want a middle level golf course with very “Charleston” views (bridge, harbor, etc.) then go to Patriots. Patriots Pointe, IMO, is overpriced for the quality of the course and how the staff acts. You would think the Patriots Pointe staff believes the course is Augusta National. If you want nice views for money go to Rivertowne or Charleston National. If you want to spend a little more, go to Wild Dunes Links Course.

Mostly agree, but a few notes:

- Patriots Point is now under new ownership/ (leasehold) as of 6 months ago or so. They have been making steady improvements to the course conditions and operations including some staff changes that have been good...more friendly now and course conditions are noticeably better. Fairways are still very bumpy, but that is a long term issue . It still is overpriced ( but almost all golf in Charleston is unfortunately) , but for the average golfer who isn't concerned with architectural pedigree it is a good play with fantastic backdrop & views, which most visitors to the area love

- Rivertowne - Fairways are in dire condition....literally dirt with some patches of wispy green. It is a great layout and used to be a top course in the area for me, but conditions and experience there have declined in last 5 years or so. It really is almost unplayable.

> @PapaJohick said:

> Rivertowne is such an elitest place but yet they can never keep conditions to that level. Tried to play there the other week and they wanted close to $50 to play..... ummm sir you have no fairways to the point that two/three hoels are legit closed.

Man, a couple years ago and $50 would have been the VIP hook up rate. I used to only play it when I could get a deal, and seemed like I was getting on a private course. That’s a shame, it used to be nice.

My son played a Tmnt there today——really really dire. They have laid sod on a few spots but I can’t see how anything short of a wall to wall redo of the fairways can get it done. Aside from grass, bunkers are in aweful shape and overall appearance of place isn’t great. I am really not much of a critic or course snob but it’s borderline unplayable.

> @davep043 said:

> I know that Bulls Bay, a Mike Strantz course, is a ways north up Rte 17. Is that worth the drive from Charleston? Or perhaps not open to the public?

if you can get on, it is absolutely worth the drive. Its not a super far drive if you're coming from downtown or Mt pleasant.

> @padget said:

> > @PapaJohick said:

> > Rivertowne is such an elitest place but yet they can never keep conditions to that level. Tried to play there the other week and they wanted close to $50 to play..... ummm sir you have no fairways to the point that two/three hoels are legit closed.

>

> Man, a couple years ago and $50 would have been the VIP hook up rate. I used to only play it when I could get a deal, and seemed like I was getting on a private course. That’s a shame, it used to be nice.

>

>

Well typically even for locals it is usually minimum 75 around this time of year and almost 90 during peak season.

> @hangontight said:

> My son played a Tmnt there today——really really dire. They have laid sod on a few spots but I can’t see how anything short of a wall to wall redo of the fairways can get it done. Aside from grass, bunkers are in aweful shape and overall appearance of place isn’t great. I am really not much of a critic or course snob but it’s borderline unplayable.

some how they royally effed it up haha.

Dude didn't even have an excuse when I asked how. He just shook his head and said, just lost them... haha. They need a new super. Every year they have problems with greens and fairways. Usually blame it on the winter or dry summer, except the rest of the courses deal with it too and are always in better shape.

> @hangontight said:

> My son played a Tmnt there today——really really dire. They have laid sod on a few spots but I can’t see how anything short of a wall to wall redo of the fairways can get it done. Aside from grass, bunkers are in aweful shape and overall appearance of place isn’t great. I am really not much of a critic or course snob but it’s borderline unplayable.

this is Rivertowne you're talking about, right?

> @"CFA Jay" said:

> > @hangontight said:

> > My son played a Tmnt there today——really really dire. They have laid sod on a few spots but I can’t see how anything short of a wall to wall redo of the fairways can get it done. Aside from grass, bunkers are in aweful shape and overall appearance of place isn’t great. I am really not much of a critic or course snob but it’s borderline unplayable.

>

> this is Rivertowne you're talking about, right?

Yes

> @hangontight said:

> > @"CFA Jay" said:

> > > @hangontight said:

> > > My son played a Tmnt there today——really really dire. They have laid sod on a few spots but I can’t see how anything short of a wall to wall redo of the fairways can get it done. Aside from grass, bunkers are in aweful shape and overall appearance of place isn’t great. I am really not much of a critic or course snob but it’s borderline unplayable.

> >

> > this is Rivertowne you're talking about, right?

>

> Yes

>

That’s such a shame. I was a member at Rivetowne years ago and the layout is fantastic. Used to be in great shape and hate to hear its fallen off.

Rivertowne situation is sad and crazy part is it was in fantastic shape earlier this year. Not a turf expert but wonder if had to do with fact that last winter they overseeded for the first time. In fairness nearly every course in the Charleston area has had some type of major problem with conditions at least once over the past five years (many multiple instances). Still think there's a chance Rivertowne can improve to playable by OP's Oct trip.

Rivertowne/Snee Farm/ Dunes West all owned by the same guy and unfortunately are run on a shoestring operating budget so super's can only do so much. Though conditions at any of those will never rival the more expensive clubs in town, they generally range from acceptable to very good. For the $ they are still by far the best value around for private/semi-private golf membership.

> @"Driver Eight" said:

> Rivertowne situation is sad and crazy part is it was in fantastic shape earlier this year. Not a turf expert but wonder if had to do with fact that last winter they overseeded for the first time. In fairness nearly every course in the Charleston area has had some type of major problem with conditions at least once over the past five years (many multiple instances). Still think there's a chance Rivertowne can improve to playable by OP's Oct trip.

> Rivertowne/Snee Farm/ Dunes West all owned by the same guy and unfortunately are run on a shoestring operating budget so super's can only do so much. Though conditions at any of those will never rival the more expensive clubs in town, they generally range from acceptable to very good. For the $ they are still by far the best value around for private/semi-private golf membership.

I wouldn't call rivertowne or dunes west value haha. The cheapest either of them run for locals under normal condition is like 75 maybe 60. peak season both are above 80

Charleston national at most is 52 for me due to their vip program (probably the best semi private course besides stonoferry). They almost never have condition issues.

the only true value golf that is worth it in the area is typically wescott, legend oaks, or shadowmoss. The only problem with those courses are they can get pretty soupy after rain fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear stono is still good. Always loved that course. Shot my first round under 80 there. Have yet to break 80 at OC. I'll get it.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto