2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Just got back from a round at Encino this afternoon and bombed my personal best of 299 yards, Skycaddie measured. SOB won't pay the extra yard. L4V X with the PM702 and using the StarZ ball - this ball is freakin amazing (if you have been following the thread in the ball section of the forum).

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I am hoping to get a response on this:

For those of you who have installed a VOODOO PROTOPYPE in it, how did you find the spin, launch and control?

I currently have a PM 702 X installed and would like to bring down the spin even more.

God Bless

Jer

wow, less spin than a PM702 X? I presume this is even tipped? what are your number right now?

Launch is 16* with 2900-3600 rpm backspin. My SS is 110-115. The PM is tipped 1". Dead center though.... :russian_roulette: I have a XPP6 coming and will have a review in early April.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

wow jer, that is impressive dude to handle a x pm702 and tipped an inch. yeah, let us know how the xpp6 does...good luck with it chief :)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

guys, how does the L4V compare to the new drivers? Rapture V2, Adams 9015D, callaway ft9, L5V, Dymo etc. etc.

Is the L4V really looong or its just forgiving with higher spin?

It is not high spin, it is just long and forgiving. The shaft is key with this driver.

Just play a flex stiffer than you would normally since this head weighs a bit more than most.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

guys, how does the L4V compare to the new drivers? Rapture V2, Adams 9015D, callaway ft9, L5V, Dymo etc. etc.

IMO it's much higher spinning than your 9015/6D's, Rap V2 and Sumo2 Tours. If you find contrary i might give it another go lol

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

IMO it's much higher spinning than your 9015/6D's, Rap V2 and Sumo2 Tours. If you find contrary i might give it another go lol

I havent hit the V2, but I hit the Titleist stuff and I agree the spin a bit higher. The Sumo2 Tour spun like a top for me with a VS Proto--didnt like it. The L5v I hit had a Grafalloy Platinum in it, I did like it a lot--just not enough to change what I have.

**I do have a question...anyone try the new Fujikura Motore F1 75g in this head? It's stout, probably true to flex even with the head weight of the L4vx. I like the new tip technology, and the bend profile suits what I have now. I just picked up a pull shaft and was wondering if I should do the driver ....THANKS**

I havent hit the V2, but I hit the Titleist stuff and I agree the spin a bit higher. The Sumo2 Tour spun like a top for me with a VS Proto--didnt like it. The L5v I hit had a Grafalloy Platinum in it, I did like it a lot--just not enough to change what I have.

**I do have a question...anyone try the new Fujikura Motore F1 75g in this head? It's stout, probably true to flex even with the head weight of the L4vx. I like the new tip technology, and the bend profile suits what I have now. I just picked up a pull shaft and was wondering if I should do the driver ....THANKS**

You sure it was the Tour version of the Sumo2? They are the lowest spinning retail head around alongside the 9015D.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Did the L4V come out with an 8.5* head? mmmm...an 8.5* L4V with a little bit more spin might work well for me.

not retail but tour and they're hard to find and get unless your name is JB Holmes.

Well, it's been awhile since I posted in here..and that coincides 100% with a thing called knee surgery that happened back in November. (I hurt it while I was in Iraq, tried the therapy route with no luck, and finally got cut on.) It healed up slower than I had hoped, but I have had a total of three range sessions with no pain at all, and it looks like I am mostly recovered..although I'm still doing therapy for it, I can golf, but the impact from running still bothers me, but that should go away with time too.

Any-hoo, enough about me, and more about the L4V :) I STILL love this driver, I've had the chance to hit a couple of clubs, and nothing comes close for me. I even got a chance to visit the Cobra-Titleist demo day up at La Cantera yesterday, and hit pretty much every driver offering that was there. Nothing even came within "lemme take another look" distance of the L4. I might have got a little bit more distance (and just a little bit) with the new S9 Pro, but it of course was not nearly as forgiving as the L4V.

I am a self admitted driver-ho...I love hitting and having a variety of the big dogs. This is still a totally awesome club for me, and it will continue to be for quite a long time. One thing I am happy about is the fact that the model is getting phased out...so I have a chance to stock up on a couple of L4V heads at a cheap price to save for a rainy day.

I haven't played an actual round of golf yet...that will probably happen in the next two weeks or so, hinging on therapist approval. But hitting the range for several hours on the weekends, with no pain, gives me hope that it can stand up to the funky bunker stances and a moderate amount of walking that would happen during a normal round. One thing that I can be certain of though, is that my L4V will continue to be a laser guided, big bombing driver for me. I don't know how many of you initial guys who were so pumped are still playing it, but I know I have a permanent ticket on the L4V bandwagon :)

Brian

I need help! I have a L4V *9/X with a DVS in it now, I want to put a Rombax Z in it. I took it to get switched out and they called me and said that they would have to cut the DVS and use a heat rod and pull out the cut off part of the shaft. I'm no club builder but I told them no and got my stuff back. Is this right or is the builder full of it. I personally think he didnt want to do it. What do you guys think. I know many of you change the shafts in this head alot so what is right here.

Thanks

I need help! I have a L4V *9/X with a DVS in it now, I want to put a Rombax Z in it. I took it to get switched out and they called me and said that they would have to cut the DVS and use a heat rod and pull out the cut off part of the shaft. I'm no club builder but I told them no and got my stuff back. Is this right or is the builder full of it. I personally think he didnt want to do it. What do you guys think. I know many of you change the shafts in this head alot so what is right here.

Thanks

That's ridiculous... I have swapped shafts in these heads tons of times.

On a completely separate note, I wanted to post on this originally... this is not the bomb. The L4V has come up way short for me in all testing that I just did and I've had several and one tour issue. It just doesn't deliver the results that my others did... as for being more forgiving, I didn't find it to be that b/c I don't miss it bad enough to really take advantage of this club's forgiveness factor.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there seeing as I have given the club a good shot over the last little while. Disappointing for sure, but I must say I am not totally surprised.

Well, it's been awhile since I posted in here..and that coincides 100% with a thing called knee surgery that happened back in November. (I hurt it while I was in Iraq, tried the therapy route with no luck, and finally got cut on.) It healed up slower than I had hoped, but I have had a total of three range sessions with no pain at all, and it looks like I am mostly recovered..although I'm still doing therapy for it, I can golf, but the impact from running still bothers me, but that should go away with time too.

Any-hoo, enough about me, and more about the L4V :) I STILL love this driver, I've had the chance to hit a couple of clubs, and nothing comes close for me. I even got a chance to visit the Cobra-Titleist demo day up at La Cantera yesterday, and hit pretty much every driver offering that was there. Nothing even came within "lemme take another look" distance of the L4. I might have got a little bit more distance (and just a little bit) with the new S9 Pro, but it of course was not nearly as forgiving as the L4V.

I am a self admitted driver-ho...I love hitting and having a variety of the big dogs. This is still a totally awesome club for me, and it will continue to be for quite a long time. One thing I am happy about is the fact that the model is getting phased out...so I have a chance to stock up on a couple of L4V heads at a cheap price to save for a rainy day.

I haven't played an actual round of golf yet...that will probably happen in the next two weeks or so, hinging on therapist approval. But hitting the range for several hours on the weekends, with no pain, gives me hope that it can stand up to the funky bunker stances and a moderate amount of walking that would happen during a normal round. One thing that I can be certain of though, is that my L4V will continue to be a laser guided, big bombing driver for me. I don't know how many of you initial guys who were so pumped are still playing it, but I know I have a permanent ticket on the L4V bandwagon :)

Brian

Welcome back Brian, hope your knee strengthens and heel 100%, god speed chief! Yeah, I'm still playing it, don't bomb it as far you do but I set my personal best last week with the Zstar ball (go check this ball out, it's an amazing ball for us mere mortal swingers).

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to stock up as well. Nothing I have hit so far has been able to dazzle as the L4VX has.

Get well and get back to the bandwagon :)

My l4vx has been my go to driver for tournaments and skins games I have a lot of confidence with this club due to the forgiveness and how I can just go after it. I currently have it shafted with a xx flex TPHD gold and I get 300 out of it with a 85% swing just a solid club. I love the way the balls just jumps off the face and the looks are still awesome to me and I have had this driver for a while. My mid ballflight is just perfect with this set up. I bought a back up and might buy another just to have it.

HEY GANG !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I have been gone lately ... Between work & travel combined with the fact that I just kinda hit golf burnout - Ya know the feeling - When you would rather stick a rusty nail straight thru your retina fully conscious than look at a golf club - Well thats been me the last month or so - Just needed to take a step back & re-energize the batteries.

Anyone that knows me will tell ya - I never forget - I have a TON !!!!! of PMs - some weeks old - and I intend on answering all of them - even if you have moved on / decided I was an A-hole / died / took up knitting - WHATEVER ... but I am going to get to them all.

Its getting nice out and its time to get my lazy arse off the mat .... Getting back to everyone - slowly but surely robo-pheus.gif

I would like to tack on to 2 replies here from the past week, based on something I was kicking around doing to my L4V X.....

Regarding the Motore F1.... TapTap (or anyone else out there), have you tried the shaft yet in this head? What was your experience?

Then, regarding the weight of the shaft (tacking on to Mason333167's post/question)... what would happen if I were to put in a 55g Motore F1? I have a Fujikura-authorized clubmaker saying that I should throw the 55g X-stiff in, to help with the balance/swingweight. My concern though is that in the 55g version, it's labeled as a "mid" spin and 4.0* torque. Typically, those 2 things are the devil!

I go at it about 108-112mph (~160-165mph ballspeed) and currently have a ProtoPYPE 60-S in my L4V X, and though I've produced some nice long drives, it's just never had any "feel" to it. I bought the driver off BST last year from a member, and am ready to either swap shafts to get something that will feel better and of course produce more ballspeed, more roll, etc.... or sell and try out the 9015D.

Open to ALL suggestions!!

Thanks!

Brian

I would like to tack on to 2 replies here from the past week, based on something I was kicking around doing to my L4V X.....

Regarding the Motore F1.... TapTap (or anyone else out there), have you tried the shaft yet in this head? What was your experience?

Then, regarding the weight of the shaft (tacking on to Mason333167's post/question)... what would happen if I were to put in a 55g Motore F1? I have a Fujikura-authorized clubmaker saying that I should throw the 55g X-stiff in, to help with the balance/swingweight. My concern though is that in the 55g version, it's labeled as a "mid" spin and 4.0* torque. Typically, those 2 things are the devil!

I go at it about 108-112mph (~160-165mph ballspeed) and currently have a ProtoPYPE 60-S in my L4V X, and though I've produced some nice long drives, it's just never had any "feel" to it. I bought the driver off BST last year from a member, and am ready to either swap shafts to get something that will feel better and of course produce more ballspeed, more roll, etc.... or sell and try out the 9015D.

Open to ALL suggestions!!

Thanks!

Brian

Nope, havent installed the Fuji Motore 75 yet--if I do it will be 1/2 tip @ 44.5. Figure that's going to work out close to the D3-4 swingweight I have now. Im hesitant to do it, the only reason would be ho-derived. I really, really, really hit the current set up well. Im playing some with the e7 ball from Bridgestone, and picked up 1.5mph in ball speed. Im right at that 158-160 mph now, and Im not missing the xspin from the TM Burner TP ball I was hitting.

I think what I have, and what I want to try (the F1 Motore) would play almost the same. Unless somebody can post otherwise, I most likely wont do it.

I think to see real change requires radical differences in set up: like going from 44.5 to 45.5 or 46 inches in length, bend points altered etc.

Im wary of trying costly-crazy stuff if what I have is serviceable,---just some tweaking here and there like most of us...:)

(unless its a putter makeover---I am Full-On HO when it comes to that) :man_in_love:

Anyone have experience with the L4V and a Proforce V2 combo? I was recommended by Jamie at UST to check out the V2 55 in stiff flex if anything.

Currently playing a Blueboard 63g stiff in mine. Like the driver, feel, and actually don't mind the sound. Just looking to put more emphasis on distance if possible, and right now I get pretty much all carry and no roll. Maybe the lighter weight and potentially lower trajectory could help that?

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

How does the l4v f/x head compare to the 2008 LDF head? Im guessing much better, but I would like to know the differences.

I currently play the 08 LDF in a 10.5 stock shaft.

I would like a lower ball flight.

I'm thinking about maybe picking up 9(or 9.5 whatever it is they l4v comes in) my golfsmith used rack has 2 or 3 pre-loved l4v X's.

Any info. I just need to wait a couple of pay checks to finish paying off my lessons, and get a new driver.

Don't think i've seen an internet thread run this long before !

Well these suckers are £99 down my local warehouse outlet - thats good ole Britsh money, so mega cheap compared to their original £249.

So i'll be jumping on the bangwagon at lunchtime - my 10.5' 907D2 and VSProto 65S could be a garage ornament (lovely flight for me, but never feels that long - SS104, launch 13')

Looks like swappign the shafts is key to this head, and the face angle and loft also vary a fair bit.

Can't decide on a 9' F or a 9' X - i guess it'll be down to what looks right when sitting on the deck !

Trouble is same warehouse is selling 08 Burners for the same money - arrggghhhh !

It is not high spin, it is just long and forgiving. The shaft is key with this driver.

Just play a flex stiffer than you would normally since this head weighs a bit more than most.

Trying to re-review the thread

CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!! ... L4 IS NOT !!!!! a high spin head - the stock "combo" was high spin .... In a vacuum head alone - It is LOW spin. Low enough that when the Tour staffers started banging it - THEY ALL had to ADD spin to their combos to get it to work correctly - i.e. - the right shaft ;)

As far as an 8.5 loft .. Nope ... But they did make a few of these ... and I have 2 ;)

l5v27.jpg

Ya know ... the 9015D thread boys probably cringe everytime this thread pops ups ... Its the battle of the posts/views count .... Matrixduel.gif

Oh ... Sumo2 Tour ... One of the spinniest AND THE SHORTEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!! heads I have ever hit

ALL those above are VERY good .. Rapture V2 is EXTREMELY good ... 9015D is DUMB LONG !!!!!!! - I have been banging on mine a lil bit lately - not nearly as easy to hit - but it does hit low BULLETS with killer length ... I would select FT-9 last out of that group - although I hit one and was pleasantly surprised

Trying to re-review the thread

CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!! ... L4 IS NOT !!!!! a high spin head - the stock "combo" was high spin .... In a vacuum head alone - It is LOW spin. Low enough that when the Tour staffers started banging it - THEY ALL had to ADD spin to their combos to get it to work correctly - i.e. - the right shaft ;)

As far as an 8.5 loft .. Nope ... But they did make a few of these ... and I have 2 ;)

l5v27.jpg

Ya know ... the 9015D thread boys probably cringe everytime this thread pops ups ... Its the battle of the posts/views count .... Matrixduel.gif

Oh ... Sumo2 Tour ... One of the spinniest AND THE SHORTEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!! heads I have ever hit

Grrrh...rat bag! :man_in_love:

Been trying to get one of those heads for ages and you have 2 of them!!! Grrrrhhh. In the end I just went with a spare L4V-X head.

Think I need a drink...*please pass the Kool-Aid*

Wow I need one of the 8.0* l4vx would make an awesome 3rd l4 for me. I just shafted my back up L4 with a xx metallic lime green altus and am very impressed with the results so far. But I am waiting on my s91's shaft to get here so I can battle the cobras once again. The l5v didnt stand a chance to the l4v my last cobra driver battle.

First, Thanks to ROBO for responding to all the PM inquiries I had regarding L4V. I picked up a used L4V X on the eBay pulled the shaft, drill out the hosel plug, stuffed with cotton balls (to mute the sound), and then re-shafted with a VS Proto 60-X tipped at 1.25". This afternoon, I am going to throw a grip on it when I get home and tomorrow test it on the range. I know it's more than one year later, but I am excited about the "koolaid"...hopefully it is sweet and delicious! Will follow up in the next few days with an update. Thanks to all.