2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Update - sneaked off to the range at lunchtime with the reshafted L4V F 10', now with spined n flo'd Graf Prolaunch Blue 65g stiff.

Hmmm ! - wind against today so that won't help, but very disappointed in the results - very high launch, pretty constant trajectory and just fell out of the sky at the end. I think i need to play around with tee heights next time i'm there to see if i can get this baby ona better flight. At least the shots are consistent now and the change in shaft has got rid of some of the gonginess sound at impact - a more positive clonk now :D .

If no joy then i have a ProLaunch Red 65g S to drop in it next.

Mine now has a v2 but it is not my favorite shaft. Anything out there that feels simliar to the Nvs or Bassera that is not an Nvs or Bassera?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I am looking back at this thread and see 79 (yep 79) pages of post, would like to give kudos to Robopti for all the help he has given me and many others, it is one of the things I love about this site, the willingness of others to share their time and experience with others.

Now I'm getting all teared up and tears are falling on my chocolate chip cookie so all I can say is:

THANKS ROBO!

I am looking back at this thread and see 79 (yep 79) pages of post, would like to give kudos to Robopti for all the help he has given me and many others, it is one of the things I love about this site, the willingness of others to share their time and experience with others.

Now I'm getting all teared up and tears are falling on my chocolate chip cookie so all I can say is:

THANKS ROBO!

No doubt he is a great help. He was very helpful when I was setting up my L4V.

Thanks bro!

A colleague bought a 10' L4V F at the same time as me - we couldn't understand his flightscope measured launch angle of 20'-22'. He took it to his local clubfitter yesterday will a selection of shafts to have fitted. Clubfitter measured his 10' loft head at 14' - goes a long way to explain why he hits this 10' higher and shorter than his 12' Rapture. Cobra QC is awful on these heads.

I'm still persevering with my Graf Pro Launch Blue - my launch angle seems about right, but i'm definitely down on yards over my Titleist 907D2.

rolllaughing.gifrolllaughing.gifrolllaughing.gif

Thanks ROBO.

Ha, ha 80 pages !!!

No one saw this coming (especially at the other site) just goes to show you this is a GREAT driver when dialed.

Speaking of dialed---Im changing to the Fujikura Motore F1 65g version--I will get my numbers up when installed.

Hey .. I TRIED to tell em .. just no one listenin 1_4_126.gif1_4_126.gif

I played yesterday at English Turn here in New Orleans .. PLAYED OUT OF MY MIND ... and ... LITERALLY the first time in 1 - 1 1/2 years I played with no affects of vertigo - THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif .. I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy - I have said before I have COMPLETELY embarrassed myself on course a few times trying to cover it up - but its impossible - COMPLETE nightmare. After treatments of Epley's manuever - having cold water shot into my ears and puking my guts out - motion sickness meds till I'm green in the gills - cat scans etc etc etc - It's GONE !!!!!!!!!! ...

I BOMBED !!!!!!!!!!!! driver yesterday ... L4 is KING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... For those that have played the Turn - #15 - the island hole - from the front golds - Driver - PITCHING WEDGE to 20 and lipped the Eagle.

percy - ironic that you are comparing an L4 to the one company MOST notorious for inflated lofts. You're 12* Rapture is EASILY 13.50* ..... I doubt very seriously any Cobra or any OEM really would be 4* off .. but who knows ... all I know is

I AM KILLING this driver !!!!!

fter treatments of Epley's manuever - having cold water shot into my ears and puking my guts out - motion sickness meds till I'm green in the gills - cat scans etc etc etc - It's GONE !!!!!!!!!! .

They still use the coldwater torture? Thought that was old school 20th century medicine. I had the cold/warm air torture. Not much better actually. Fun trying to hit a golf ball when you can hardly walk isn't it. What's better is being doped up on meds, still having vertigo, and trying to hit a golf ball. Amazing what kind of new and unique ballflights are achievable with that combo.

Glad to know you're better. I've dealt with it off and on for years and like you said wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

percy - ironic that you are comparing an L4 to the one company MOST notorious for inflated lofts. You're 12* Rapture is EASILY 13.50* ..... I doubt very seriously any Cobra or any OEM really would be 4* off .. but who knows ... all I know is

ROBOPTI - Vertigo - wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, i've had a couple of very short spells over the years and its not pleasant ! :black eye:

The 12' Rapture measured out at 12.5', the 10' L4V at 14' - both were measured by the same guy on the same machine one after the other - in fact he remeasured the Cobra as it was so far out. He had no reason to dish the Cobra either, as both heads were potential reshaft business for him.

All i know is i've bought 4 of these now.. a 10' M speed reg flex for my father that he loves :clapping: :clapping: , a 10' M speed reg for my mate thats measured out at 14' loft and he hits it over the clouds :( , the original 9' F stiff i bought for myself that i couldn't get a straight hit or a draw out, that was quickly swapped for my current 10' F which has been reshafted, spined and flo'd with a Graf ProLaunch Blue 65g S thats still not performing for me.

I've tried mine again tonight at the range. I've no reason to suspect such a huge loft variation on my own 10' clubhead - but i'm not getting any bombs out of mine even after the shaft change. I hit my old 907D2 and after a few swing corrections i hit 5 out of 7 balls within 20 feet of each other, did the same with the Cobra and i couldn't get any 2 within 20 feet of one another and overall 10 yards down on total distance. I dunno where to go with it now - i know i have a shaft that works very well for me in other driver heads, and yet i'm losing out to a dull titleist :o

I really don't want to give up with it, all that technology in the head must work with me at some stage, but i'm no longer sure what to do with it. I'm loathed to throw more money at it with another shaft change to something more exotic.

hey robo - you should get those electronic motion sickness wrist bands, might help you a bit. The only vertigo i've gotten is in a blizzard when you can't see sh*t but you know you're going forward, or am i?!?!? Good luck there matey...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

is it possible to have a "bad head" in a driver?...i hit this one 10* l4v and it seemed so much hotter than the 9* (both were new clubs, w/ same shafts)

...also could i get a lil advice please?...i have the 9* in the stock stiff 57 redboard and carry the ball like 220-235, but hardly any roll and the 9* goes kinda high....my SS is only like 90-95 avg(i used to play the f/speed in 12*)..what kinda shaft would be good for me ( i think im right on the border of reg vs stiff) i have smooth, flat swing..

is it possible to have a "bad head" in a driver?...i hit this one 10* l4v and it seemed so much hotter than the 9* (both were new clubs, w/ same shafts)

...also could i get a lil advice please?...i have the 9* in the stock stiff 57 redboard and carry the ball like 220-235, but hardly any roll and the 9* goes kinda high....my SS is only like 90-95 avg(i used to play the f/speed in 12*)..what kinda shaft would be good for me ( i think im right on the border of reg vs stiff) i have smooth, flat swing..

You are about the same as me - interestingly i found my 9' head very dead, lots of sound but no real spring off the face. My 10' seems more lively. Your swing and carry aren't dissimilar to mine - i'd say stiff with a stiff shaft, but bear in mind the Japanese shafts play a tad softer in general so a Graphite Design or Fujikura might be better brands than the likes of Grafalloy. you probably need to be looking at a low or mid launch shaft.

HELP ----- I've fallen and I can't get up :man_in_love:

------ I picked up a L4v F from this forum w/Creation 65s. I beleive the shaft was also tipped .5". I hit it as far as I normally do and it ran like crazy. Flight was good also but it went straight right with every swing. Not a slice just right and I don't feel as if I can load the shaft properly.

Next I throw a V2 67g stiff in it as I had it in the garage and figured if I did not like I would sell the combo. It's ok but no wow factor. Instead of selling I am now wanting to get this thing to work because of this post so I am looking for help. From the forum it appears all that is needed is to dial in the correct shaft. Well, here is where I am struggling.

Swing speed in the mid 90's. Carry with Callaway Fti 10* w/stiff stock Speeder 586 was around 230-240 but I gave up on it as it had no roll out. Dead straight but no roll. I was likely 5-10 yds longer in carry with the Callaway Ft3 10* D w/stiff Bassera 63g. Roll was good but not quite as straight as the Fti. I hit the 55g DVS-HL in a Cobra S9-1F 9.5* very well at a demo day, high/long slight draws/fades but no slices/pushes/hooks. I actually bought one but have yet to take the plastic off the head in hopes of dialing in the L4v and taking the S9-1 back.

I tend to hit straight or a slice/fade. I can get quick at the top which causes and over the top shoulder generated swing resulting in a slice, pull hook or a push. I have a mid flight most of the time but when my swing is right it flys high/long. I know I have liked shafts simliar to the Nvs, Bassera, other (?) but I don't want the spin so high I do not get any roll.

Can anyone help me up?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

A Cobra L4V F should be arriving at my door step this morning. My swingspeed is around 90 mph and I was wondering if anyone has had the butt frequency measured on the L4V R Flex Mitsubishi Red Board stock shaft? I'm going to get a Golf Pride Dual Durometer grip put on and will try it out in my round tomorrow. I've hit all the demo drivers at Golfsmith and the Cobra L4V was the most forgiving.

A Cobra L4V F should be arriving at my door step this morning. My swingspeed is around 90 mph and I was wondering if anyone has had the butt frequency measured on the L4V R Flex Mitsubishi Red Board stock shaft? I'm going to get a Golf Pride Dual Durometer grip put on and will try it out in my round tomorrow. I've hit all the demo drivers at Golfsmith and the Cobra L4V was the most forgiving.

Currently have a L4v 10-deg. head, Last week, it had a stock Diamana R-flex shaft in it. Hit nothing but skyballs about 260 yds with a 98 mph swing speed. Was hitting a Ping G10 10.5-deg ~1-1/2 years ago and averaging 282 with the same swing using a stiff V2HL shaft. I really like the L4V head, so something had to change.

Tried tipping the reg Dimana shaft 1/2" to stiffen it a little. What I ended up with was a 57g shaft (very light) @ 44.5". This had a swing weight of C7 and a cpm of 244. In other words, I had a short club that had a ladies' swing weight & the flex of a strong senior club! DEFINATELY not the way to go. :black eye:

Had it reshafted today with a ProLaunch Red the first of the week.

The results were stunning! I now had a L4v who's apex is ~ 20 yards lower - allowing roll-out after the ball hits the ground. The PL Red is a 65 gram shaft - swing weight is now D2-D3. The cpm raised to 255 - a R+ or S- on most charts.

Bottom line...I'm back to hitting 270-290 yard drives! The trajectory is more penetrating and the ball bounds down the fairway instead of plugging or dropping out of the sky. I can feel the club throughout my swing & the club smacks the ball with authority.

Pour me my next cup of Kool_Aid!!! :man_in_love:

Long Live The L4V Brigade!!!

well my Axis TX broke on me :( :angry: :( :angry:

Now im off to try a Harrison Pro 2.5 X in it...I hope the boron feels as good as I have heard it does

A little update with the Harrison Pro. Specs 45" tipped 1/2" X Flex, 292 CPM!!!..I have played 2 rounds with the setup and I must say that it blows the Axis out of the water, (which is hard to believe)....2 rounds I have hit 21/28 FW's. The shaft is so silky smooth that it feels like its not even there. The ball flight is piercing and doesnt balloon at all. Its extremely deep and accurate :partytime2:

I have hit some of my longest drives with this setup incluing a 375 yard bomb into a 550 yard par 5. If my putting wouldnt have disapeared I would have been sub par for the first time in 6 years....I must say that I absolutely love this combo. The Harrison is the best $45 I have ever spent

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

I just got a LV4 10* with a Code 7 and while it is the straightest driver I have hit in a long time the ball flight is too high. The distance is ok but I would like to lower the ball flight, would tipping the shaft a .5 help this?

From previous experience....the tipping 1/2" isn't really going to do that much for you. About the only thing you are going to do is (a) lighten the SW a couple of points, (b) gain a hair more control, and © lose a little length.

To bring flight down, you need to get a shaft with a higher kickpoint. That's about it.

Mind you.....there are guys on here that can help you a lot more than I can. Not sure how the different Matrix (Matricies?) spec out. I just know from recent experience that I went from stock shaft tipped to a PL Blue tipped and it didn't do a thing because the kickpoints are very similar. Switched to a PL Red and it brough the flight down some (about 15 yards) and added some roll - plus a better SW.

Would still like a lower flight, but the only way (for me) to go now would be a lower degree head - and I don't want to give up the control a 10-deg. offers in sidespin over a 9-deg. head.

BTW.....anybody have experience with 9-deg. vs. 10-deg heads, and the difference in sidespin (read as fade/slice) control between the two?

Cuda, what flex is the PL Red you installed? We have similar swing speeds, I have the stock redboard in stiff right now and it just feels dead. I have a 57g V2 reg flex laying around but with the weight of this head might be too whippy.

The stock Diamana is a 57g shaft. The R-flex I had in my L4V cpm'd at < 245. That's very whippy.

My PL Red is a S-flex. I believe I difference in a good/bad drive with it hinges on loading. When I "smooth it" with a full shoulder turn, I can bang it 265+. When I try to "get after it", the shaft doesn't perform for me.

IMO.....I would love to put a R-flex PL Red or R-flex V2 (both at 65g), have it CPM'd at 255 - if that's possible - and see how that combo performs.

Being a 'tweener in shafts (R/S) really sucks! But DEFINATELY go with a shaft heavier than 57-deg. if you want to keep the flight below restricted air space.

I bought a L4V M with regular shaft at the very end of the last season without doing a lot of research. Just went to my pro and said "hey Mike, do you have a demo you could lend me for the game? He gave me that.

At the end of the game, after hitting every fairway with drives 30 yds longer than what I used to hit, I bought it. It then sat in my closed all winter long.

A month ago, I went to a golf trip in Kapalua (heaven on earth by the way) with my brother and father. I was killing this thing every day! All the rest of my game was pure crap, since I've only played 3-4 games per year for the last 3 years, but my drives were high, faaaaaar and straigth, with a nice little draw. I just could not miss a shot with it, as long as I kept focus on opening my club face during my backswing. Otherwise I did some pretty bad hooks, but I had no clue why (remember that I didn't know that I had bough a draw-biaised driver).

I played 2 more games after my trip, again hitting very long and straight, except when I lost my focus and forgot to really open my club face during my backswing. I was happy with it but a bit worried.

Then today I just made the biggest mistake of my life by researching info on I driver I already had and liked... and found out that it has a closed face. Now I know that my confidence will drop to almost nothing with this thing. Please guys, help me rebuild this confidence by telling me that the L4V-M is not such a bad choice for a guy who plays around 85 but has a slight tendency to cut the ball sometimes. I don't have any money right now to change it and I would like to love it again, since it served me so good in my last 8 games (except like one hook per game which ended up in the trees).