COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

GANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... What started out as a little ROBO-experiment has turned into a SERIOUS weapon .... Allow me to expand ....

So - (as usual as I have the attention span of a fruitfly some days) - I got bored and an idea hit me. I have been bangin on the latest COBRA goodies - which to be honest - are ALL good now - they just all work - but I've been bringin the girl I originally brought to the dance lately to the course. So I got started looking at the L4 head - and it just popped into the noodle - WHAT if the didn't look like carbon and didn't have the glare ... Don't ask it just popped in there ....

SOOOO ... Gents and Ladies cocktail.gif

Walla ... I took an L4VX head - Thanks to Senoir Petrou - and wet sanded the clear down to the point where all the logos underneath the clear came off ... One interesting thing I found out was the yellow tint which looks like it is infused in the carbon is actually deep in the clear itself. I smooth everything out and taped off the titanium cup and I used Ceramic engine block paint and here it is - I dont know if the pics do it justice - but in person it looks like a stealth L4 kind of - I like it ...

l4mt16.jpg

l4mt11.jpg

l4mt15.jpg

l4mt1.jpg

l4mt14.jpg

The weapon part of all this is the shaft - I always thought I was low on spin on L4 sometimmes - and I know I was - but I had this shaft - and based on what I was seeing from mt Pro S which has one as well - I thought ... WHY NOT ....

Ummm .... GOOD LORD this is a killer combo ... I went to the range yesterday - started off windy but the wind laid down so I pulled out the big guns - I had a L5 / L4 / S & D with me ... lets see what they got ... So I pulled this one out ... kinda fubar'd the first one - then starting finding the center - and then just gave it all I had - SHIZZLE ... KILLER firepower. 1st off - There is NO LEFT in this shaft and especially with this head. I have to tee L4 higher than the other so once I got used to hitting a 4 again - it all came back ... I nuked quite a few - it launches lower than almost any shaft I have tried in L4 - except Pype - but when I watched waiting for the ball to drop - it DIDN'T - it just hit that typical Project X kind of shot - it got up planed out - and went ... and then it released .... I am shocked - I loved it ... I sneaked out on # 10 and played 3 holes - This thing ROCKS .....

I am going to bang it around for another week or so and report back ... and truth be told - all my BIGDOGs are working - but this was a very pleasant surprise - L4 is holdin it's own.

Gotta admit - The Pro D - when caught on the screws .... Damn - That is one long MOFO !!!!

GANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... What started out as a little ROBO-experiment has turned into a SERIOUS weapon .... Allow me to expand ....

So - (as usual as I have the attention span of a fruitfly some days) - I got bored and an idea hit me. I have been bangin on the latest COBRA goodies - which to be honest - are ALL good now - they just all work - but I've been bringin the girl I originally brought to the dance lately to the course. So I got started looking at the L4 head - and it just popped into the noodle - WHAT if the didn't look like carbon and didn't have the glare ... Don't ask it just popped in there ....

SOOOO ... Gents and Ladies cocktail.gif

Walla ... I took an L4VX head - Thanks to Senoir Pietro - and wet sanded the clear down to the point where all the logos underneath the clear came off ... One interesting thing I found out was the yellow tint which looks like it is infused in the carbon is actually deep in the clear itself. I smooth everything out and taped of the titanium cup and I used Ceramic engine block paint and here it is - I dont know if the pics do it justice - but in person it looks like a stealth L4 kind of - I like it ...

The weapon part of all this is the shaft - I always thought I was low on spin on L4 sometimmes - and I know I was - but I had this shaft - and based on what I was seeing from mt Pro S which has one as well - I thought ... WHY NOT ....

Ummm .... GOOD LORD this is a killer combo ... I went to the range yesterday - started off windy but the wind laid down do I pulled out the big guns - I had a L5 / L4 / S & D with me ... lets see what they got ... So I pulled this one out ... kinda fubar'd the first one - then starting finding the center - and then just gave it all I had - SHIZZLE ... KILLER firepower. 1st off - There is NO LEFT in this shaft and especially with this head. I have to tee L4 higher than the other so once I got used to hitting a 4 again - it all came back ... I nuked a quite a few - it launches lower than almost any shaft I have tried in L4 - except Pype - but when I watched waiting for the ball to drop - it DIDN'T - it just hit that typical Project X kind of shot - it got up planed out - and went ... and then it released .... I am shocked - I loved it ... I sneaked out on # 10 and played 3 holes - This thing ROCKS .....

I am going to bang it around for another week or so and report back ... and truth be told - all my BIGDOGs are working - but this was a very pleasant surprise - L4 is holdin it's own.Show All

Gotta admit - The Pro D - when caught on the screws .... Damn - That is one long MOFO !!!!

Wow,

Getting props from the Dark Lord makes it all worthwhile!!!!!! (cool)

Who knew you could paint with a rattle can!

If I only could hit an X flex.....Wait I Can hit an X flex, but it's like a 2x4 and goes straight right! :man_in_love:

Although I have my HS9 back in the bag I do agree about the Pro D. My 9.5* is easy 20 yards farther than anything else. IF, I can get it off the ground. It is Low Launch, Low spin!!! Easy to see why the Pros are hitting 10.5's though

L4, HS9, S9-DS9HS9L4Vfacepic.jpg

i bought an l4v x speed head and a proforce v2 HMOI 70 s shaft and i am preparing to put them together. i swing about 114 mph with a smooth transition......not an aggresive loader. any advice on this combo or how much to tip it or what length to play it at?

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

TaylorMade Spider X 

I guess it's better late than never; after reading the first 20 pages of this thread(couldn't bare to read the entire 84 pages lol), I've purchased a used L4V F in 9.0.
I got to hit it briefly tonight at the range and although I'm having hard time getting used to the sound, this thing is LONG and STRAIGHT.
I am hitting it a bit higher than I would like so I should be reshafting it very soon. I plan to stick the Fubuki 63s on it. Anybody have a good experience with Fubuki on this head? Also, it looks like I would have to tip it 1/2" to get it to play true to flex?

howdy all, you guys seem to have a grasps on these cobras, mind if i pick your brains? driver ss is "around 100" with quick baseball tempo. bought l4v last year in stock stiff red and i had too swing 75% to keep in the fairway. i dont like to swing easy with driver so sold it even though loved look. then yesterday played with a guy who killed his l4v-x with extended xx shaft and i killed it. i know xx shaft is not for me but that has me thinking of giving this head another go. which l4v head and stock shaft would you guys recomend i try off ebay? thanks much!

PING G25 Driver
PING G25 3W Hyb 20
PING i25 4-GW
PING Tour S Rustic 55, 60
PING Ketsch
Srixon XV

Anyone have DVS in one of these?

I've decided to try going a degree lower in loft than I usually do, but with a mid launch/spin shaft. I've always been somewhat of a low launch guy, so we'll see how it goes.

So instead of my usual 10.5 degree head, i'm looking at a 9 degree L4V with a DVS in it. Comments?

9.5* Callaway Rogue ST Max / MR Tensei Blue 55

15* TaylorMade SIM Ti / MR Diamana Limited FW 75

17.5* TaylorMade GAPR Hi / KBS Hybrid

21* Callaway Mavrik Max TC / MR Kuro Kage Black TiNi

5-GW Cobra Forged Tec X / KBS Tour Lite

52, 58* Ping Glide 4.0 / ZZ 115

Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth

Fubuki / L4 ... EXTREMELY INTERESTING !!!!!!!!!!!!! gandalf.gif

You MUST elaborate robo-pheus.gif

Too Funny, I just read this and thought...hhmmm I wonder how that would be, went to the BST and saw a L4V with a fubuki 63x in it. It will be on its way tomorrow. Problem is...I have a PYPE 80X waiting for it. Now I will have to give the Fubuki a solid test run first and let you know what I think.

Fubuki / L4 ... EXTREMELY INTERESTING !!!!!!!!!!!!! gandalf.gif

You MUST elaborate robo-pheus.gif

First of all ROBO, thanks for cpnvincing me to get this beast by creating this thread!

I have been a long time TaylorMade driver user(R7, Burner, Tour Burner, SuperQuad, R9, R9 460 and more) and was gaming R9 460 with Fubuki 73s which worked very well.

I picked up L4V F with stock Redboard which was LONG and STRAIGHT. However, when I really went after it the ball would spin too much and the flight was too high for my liking.

I wanted to bring down the flight a bit and spin quite a bit and since no one seemed to try Fubuki on this head(probably since it already is low spin head), I mine as well give it a try.

BINGO! I'm now hitting high-launch(still lower than stock Redboard), low-spinning bombs that carry forever. EASILY 10-15 yards longer than my R9 460. :drinks:

I had several people stop by and ask me what driver I was hitting this beast at the range last night.

Still getting used to the sound though LOL!!!

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='1851221' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:49 PM']... OBTW ... DVS would probably not be optimum ... That was designed to be mid-spin / high launch .... L4 already gets up easy enuf as is ... JUST my opinion ;)[/quote]
Well Robo, you were right. The DVS is a lousy shaft for this head... took it out last night and was hitting high floating hooks that fell out of the sky with zero roll-out. I'm going to try an NV in there next, which has been my go to shaft in pretty much any head over the years. Given it's mid-launch and stiffer tip, i'm hoping it works out.

Not many of these are for sale on ebay (L4V x) and that's a testament to how great this club is.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

gentleman, has anyone hit the L4V X with a JAVLNFX M7 Stiff and what do you think of it?

-viper

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

Sooooo, I may have been a bit hasty in terms of writing off the DVS in this head. I picked up this club after a significant lay-off (nearly 2 weeks) and it was actually my swing that was causing the high hooks.

Now that i've got things straightened out, this thing is HUGE. I'm hitting places on the range where i've never been before. Can't wait to get it out on the course.

has anyone with a swingspeed of under 100 benefitted more from an X model?

i'm coming from a hibore XL but my misses tend to be left when i really get on it.. cobra recommends swingspeed of 108 or greater for the X so was scared to pull the trigger but was looking for some insight.

Also, given conditions under the same exact shaft and loft in the F and X model, will the X model be lower trajectory?

Thanks in advance.

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

Hi guys!
Just an update on the L4V X with the axiv 79 gram shaft, this thing is stupid easy to hit and hit long! Had a problem yesterday hitting short snaphooks and found out that I was closing the face......opened it back up and there is that bomber again. Honeymoon over now have a true love affair, ordered a back up this week to "put up" until later. Also the axiv shaft is stable, smooth and long, did I mention LONG! What a combo. Thanks Rob for the advice on the shaft this is one happy ol man, teeing it up on the 17th for the qualifier for the USGA's senior AM, wish me luck!

Has anyone ever shafted it up with a vs proto? thats the combo i am playing..and i am struggling a little bit with it. just wondering general thoughts on the combo

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

TaylorMade Spider X 

[quote name='andersi' post='1874091' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:00 PM']Has anyone ever shafted it up with a vs proto? thats the combo i am playing..and i am struggling a little bit with it. just wondering general thoughts on the combo[/quote]

Yes I have - got the F driver at a pretty incredible deal with stock shaft - not a fast swinger - high 90s at best - I had a 10.5 stamped head F speed, and reshafted it with a VS Proto 65R.

It worked better than the stock Cobra Redboard, felt ok but a little 'muted' - don't know why - but didn't get that 'VS Proto feel' I have with my other club mentioned below - but was still ballooning the ball with the VS Proto and the L4V head - so I had the head checked and found out that the loft was measured at just under 14deg!! :black eye:

So I sold it for what I paid for it (the VS Proto shaft was a spare that didn't cost me more than a curry in the local restaurant), and went back to my Rapture 12deg with Pink NV, and FT5 Imix 10deg with DVS (VS Proto imix backup shaft) - both were longer than the L4V naturally for reasons relating to the loft on the L4V.

Hope that helps! :wave:

Hi there,

Been hitting the L4V stock shafted 9o for close to a year now and its starting to feel too soft. It's not going any further when I really chase one. So the shaft is OK if I'm swinging smoothly but not for the ambrose swing! :-)

Love the head, but what shaft do I put in it? I remember a whiteboard?? I think being the recommended shaft but now there's a whole heap of options being bandied about.

Any advice appreciated.

How is the Proforce V2 working with this head? I just picked up a 9 degree x model and I want to put a V2 in it. I saw quite a few guys put the V2 in this head and want to hear if it's still working out for them. I don't have the cash for a whiteboard or any other high end shaft but, I've always liked the V2. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey guys long time L4V user here. I had a matrix x-con 6 installed in it, and while it is straight I hit it way to high! So I found a graphite design tour ad throttle x flex. My swing speed is between 110-115. I am definitely a hitter with a quicker tempo. I am not sure how I should tip this shaft. The tipping instructions on GD's website says not to tip this shaft for a driver install, but I was wondering if ROBO or any others with experience with this shaft would chime in on how I should install this shaft....

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks, Dunn

[quote name='dunnthegunn' post='1880272' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:02 PM']Hey guys long time L4V user here. I had a matrix x-con 6 installed in it, and while it is straight I hit it way to high! So I found a graphite design tour ad throttle x flex. My swing speed is between 110-115. I am definitely a hitter with a quicker tempo. I am not sure how I should tip this shaft. The tipping instructions on GD's website says not to tip this shaft for a driver install, but I was wondering if ROBO or any others with experience with this shaft would chime in on how I should install this shaft....

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks, Dunn[/quote]

Hmmmm ... I would go untipped - That shaft is NO PUNK ... and it is DEFINITELY !!!!!!!!!! going to lower ball flight

Let us know how that works for ya ;)

after still seeing how this thread has stayed alive this club just keeps peaking my interest...right now i have a 9016 7.5 and its a good club but i think i might just have to get one, cut it to 44'' and make it my forgiving fairway finder...considering i dont find my 9016 to be the most forgiving driver i have ever hit

does this club really shine at 44''??

*UPDATE*

I have now played three rounds after reshafting my L4 with Fubuki, and I gotta tell ya that this shaft isn't a good match for L4.
Initially when I first took it to the range I was hitting it GREAT with lots of carry. However, once I took it to the course, I was hitting high(I mean HIGH) balls with almost no rollout which resulted in less overall distance.
The Fubuki worked great with my old drivers(R9 and R9 460), but in L4 it just produced too high of a ballflight.

I need a new shaft to bring the ballflight down...which would you guys recommend? Looks like popular choices are Protopype, Rombax Z, and Whiteboard. Between the three, which would be best suited for bringing current moonball down to mid trajectory with lowish spin?