COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing golf with a guy last week that had an L4V and he let me hit it a few times. My first shot, I hit towards the toe and the ball went into the right rough. We went to look for my ball...and there it was...a 300 yard drive...on a mishit. The next two were right down the middle 300+ yards with almost no roll...just carry.

Ordered L4V from golfsmith...we shall see if it was a fluke. BTW golfsmith has a 15% off with free shipping over the labor day weekend. Fore!

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='1903027' date='Aug 20 2009, 02:37 PM']I don't care what anyone says .... WB IS NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! low launch. It may be the lowest launching Diamana - BUT it is far from low launch as compared to many others. It is low spin and an AWESOME !!!!

Sorry to hear it didn't work for the previous poster ... But hey - It would be boring if we all liked the same thing ... Thanks either way for the 411 :friends:

Frankie/Lama ... I'm gonna give you a call and harrass the both of you ;)

Lama Lama Lama .... What were ya thinkin :lol:[/quote]

I just got a new Axivcore GREEN, do ya think this is material for the l4v x? Let me know I want to put it in something!

[quote name='CheckJV' post='1931859' date='Sep 3 2009, 03:11 PM']I was playing golf with a guy last week that had an L4V and he let me hit it a few times. My first shot, I hit towards the toe and the ball went into the right rough. We went to look for my ball...and there it was...a 300 yard drive...on a mishit. The next two were right down the middle 300+ yards with almost no roll...just carry.

Ordered L4V from golfsmith...we shall see if it was a fluke. BTW golfsmith has a 15% off with free shipping over the labor day weekend. Fore![/quote]

Ending up getting the X model with the stock RB in stiff. Got in two sessions on the range. The 1st all I could do was hit fades. The second time I was able to hit a draw or two...found the timing of the shaft.

After two full 18 hole rounds, I am pounding this thing. At least 10 years past my previous average drive with moderate rollout. The 300 yard drives are not happening, but I am happy with 280 down the middle.

I am usually a low ball hitter with the driver but I think the stock RB in the L4V has moved me into a perfect launch angle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

I have in my hands a 9.0 L4V X head from a member here (thanks Blake) at 208.44 grams.

I also have on the way a JavlnFX V7 shaft, stiff, untipped, at 43.25".

This is my first time building a club and I am going with the short and heavy school of thought... I am thinking 44.25 - 44.5" when finished with maybe a D4 swingweight?

I figure I will need to tip the stiff shaft an inch to compensate for the heavy head, as much discussed here. Then butt trim if necessary to get my final length. I have no idea what it's going to swingweight at... any ideas prior to beginning this, or should I just do it and see what happens? black%20eye.gif

Can't wait to swing it!!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I am on my 4th shaft--each has proven itself differently in the L4V-X head. My 2 favorites were 77+grams. I went longer and lighter than that, and the extra carry was nice. But I feel now the shorter, stout shaft models hold up best in this head. The LDA Throttle Im hitting is a potent combo, but still shorter than the Ping I5 Im testing. The Monster is really good with the Voodoo. Straight enough too.
The last 2 rounds out I have used the Cobra...guess my mind is made up.

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

I have in my hands a 9.0 L4V X head from a member here (thanks Blake) at 208.44 grams.

I also have on the way a JavlnFX V7 shaft, stiff, untipped, at 43.25".

This is my first time building a club and I am going with the short and heavy school of thought... I am thinking 44.25 - 44.5" when finished with maybe a D4 swingweight?

I figure I will need to tip the stiff shaft an inch to compensate for the heavy head, as much discussed here. Then butt trim if necessary to get my final length. I have no idea what it's going to swingweight at... any ideas prior to beginning this, or should I just do it and see what happens? black%20eye.gif

Can't wait to swing it!!

When the head that I sold you was on my Graphite Design Throttle, it tipped in at D8, with about 5 inches of lead tape placed on it. I played it right at about 45". So, you should be looking at about D3 at 44.25".

I hope that you hit it as long as I did. I was able to kill it. I'd offer you the other Throttle that I had in it, but its in my 9032LS (which is silly long).

For nearly a year and a half, I looked for something to replace the L4Vx, but nothing could. A few I picked up a couple extra mph in ballspeed, or swingspeed, but it never actually translated into more distance. Spin or launch angle or ballspeed were off somehow. Now with the 9032LS, I picked up more ballspeed and more distance while keeping the accuracy.

As heavy a head that my L4Vx was, my 9032LS is actually about 2.5 grams heavier. So, I don't need the extra few inches of leadtape to up the swingweight to D8.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Just picked up a L4VX 9.0 degree - 207grams
+
TP Speeder 757 S - 75 grams
+
rundmc grip - 48 grams
=
44.5 D3.5ish swingweight and the easiest swinging driver ever.

Quite workable, slight cuts, slight draws, real high, high, less high

But its a fairway finder, can definitely see the project X shaft turning it into a bigtime bomber.

Everybody relax, I’m here

Well, the used Javln shaft is too short to tip properly and too soft in the tip section without tipping. I'm going for a Harrison Saga 80 X-flex shaft that I'll cut down to 45". I really like this head, it sets up awesome and I have great confidence in it. It sounds and feels the same no matter where you hit it on the face. I look forward to trying the Saga after all the great things I've read about it!

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='TheLama' post='1901133' date='Aug 19 2009, 05:49 PM']It's been awhile since I've posted in here..I know. Let's just say today I learned my lesson on why this driver STILL is number one in my heart.

I got a tinkering urge and picked up one of the STR8-Fit drivers, I really liked the idea of being able to open it 2 degrees and see what had happened. I will admit, I took it out on the range the first day, and I hit it really well, about 3-5 yards further than the L4, probably because it weighs so much left. On Monday at the range, I had a terrible day with it, and decided it would not go into the bag for the scramble I played in today, that would be reserved for the L4.

I played with a bunch of friends who are just getting into golfing, so we didnt shoot a great score (I think we were 5 under), but the highlight of the day was hole 10. Hole 10 is a 566 yard downhill par 5, and there was some wind behind us (maybe 10mph, I dont know for sure). The longest drive flag was quite a ways out, and before we teed off I even said "That's gonna take a poke to get it there, whoever hit that ball hit a good one." I hit last, and boy, did I hit it. I carried the ball TO (yes, TO!) the flag, it took two big hops, and rolled out a little bit. I knew I hit it good and had the longest drive, but I didn't know exactly what carnage I unleashed on the ball til we got up there. Turns out, I blew it by the previous mark by about 25 yards, and we ended up having 187 into the green. I got a free round of golf at the Quarry (a course I've always wanted to play here in San Antonio, but never got around to it) all thanks to the trusty ole L4V powering me to a 379 yard long drive winner.

She's secured her spot in the bag for good now, I am not tinkering any more. I do have to look around and try to pick up some more 9 degree heads (and maybe even pry an 8 degree from ROBOPTI somehow). I realize it is not for everyone, but as it approaches two years since it kicked the Burner out of the bag, it is STILL in there, and the force is strong with it!

Brian[/quote]

Did the same thing. Bought a couple of 9015d's, and couldn't get one set up right. Keep going back to my L4V with an X stiff XCon-5 in it. Oh well. Should probably buy a spare to fart around with on the side.

LOL ROBO - ya gotta admit the 9015 is a pretty darn good driver - but after playing it for a year I am ready to drink the kool-aid :) It will be in the bag while I experiment with shafts in the L4V X 9.0. Hopefully the Saga gives me good results right outta the box so I don't have to tinker too much. LOL...

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Arbitrary post - disguised as a supposed un-discussed aspect of an already overly analyzed driver - in an attempt to further a personal agenda and keep my cause on Page 1

..... sooooooo - The shaft makes a difference huh .... INTERESTING thinking2.gif

LMAO!

maybe this will help too! Go read the ZL post I just put up and give me a call or pm about a shaft for the ZL, you did good by the Axiv Black 79 gm for the L4V X. So where do I go from here on the ZL???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well I am officially gaming a Cobra driver now after a year with the 9015D... I just shafted it up with the Harrison Saga 70X at around 45" or maybe a hair under - it is short and swings like a dream. Pretty unbelieveable how forgiving this head is. The 9015D is a damn cannon when hit on the sweet spot and is pretty forgiving but you really feel and hear it when you've missed the middle.
This thing feels and sounds the same no matter where I hit it... and it goes a long way with great trajectory even when hit all over the face. I can hit draws if I really put my mind to it but mostly, it wants to go straight or power fade... which is my preferred driver flight. I don't ever want to go left without meaning to. The Adams is similar but I still went left when I didn't mean to occasionally (possibly just due to the shaft I have in it, YSQ stiff)
So far I like the Saga, I don't tinker much with the driver so I have not hit a ton of different shafts that I can compare it to. I will say that the Harrison is nice and smooth feeling and kicks like a mule through impact.
The color scheme of this driver/shaft combo with one of the new Lamkin 3GEN Performance Plus grips kicks butt, too.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket, and since I have so much respect for ROBOPTI's opinion I decided to get one and see if it could replace my Hi-Bore XL Tour / Diamana Blueboard.

OMG!!!

Why I waited so long is beyond me.

I bought a 9* X series head, and liveaqua sold me an XX flex Graphite Design Throttle that was 47". Saw a quote from ROBO that that shaft is no joke, he's not kidding.

It plays to 47.5" and freqs out at 8.5. Had it built so it sets open about 2* because I loved the look of my Hi-Bore.

What an awesome combo. Great trajectory, stays in the air FOREVER, and it won't go left. Great swings are a 5 yard fade, mediocre swings result in a 20 yard fade. Either way, I can line up down the left and rip it.

Now - if only I could get ROBO to sell me one of his 8* heads... :D

OK, its after Christmas and lots of us have new equipment, I'm just wondering how many of us that use the L4V have switched to another driver this year. I for one am sticking with the Cobra until I find "that magic club" to replace it but that being said I'm not looking very hard right now. Still haven't tried the FT9 so that may be in the future.
Come on guys "fess" up and let me know if you're still drinking the Kool Aid!

• 2 weeks later...