2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I still have my L4V-X with a 44.5" PM702 in the backup bag, does that still count? It's a great head...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

This thread is still going?!

It's the Caddyshack of threads now .. The L4 cult

I STILL Use - and it STILL works as well as it did years ago. Newer isn't necessarily better lately.

I USED this combo at the Zurich Pro Am - one driver in the bag. Shot net 53 - Tied for 1st - Daly's group beat us - and to the guy who asked a while back (the crack about 90 from the tips) - I didn't shoot from the tips - but I shot 80 - and it was BLOWING !!!!!!!!

8V41.jpg

8V42.jpg

This thread is still going?!

It's the Caddyshack of threads now .. The L4 cult

I STILL Use - and it STILL works as well as it did years ago. Newer isn't necessarily better lately.

I USED this combo at the Zurich Pro Am - one driver in the bag. Shot net 53 - Tied for 1st - Daly's group beat us - and to the guy who asked a while back (the crack about 90 from the tips) - I didn't shoot from the tips - but I shot 80 - and it was BLOWING !!!!!!!!

8V41.jpg

8V42.jpg

Did you have "pudding face"!?

I agree with Robo. I started playing a little less than 5 years ago, just before the square drivers. At that time there was some good inovation with geometry and composites, but as far as I'm concerned everything has stagnated a bit the last couple years. At this point it's all about shaft choice and confidence, and I'm good on both of those with this combo.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1304893979' post='3217217']
[quote name='manglarn' timestamp='1304885911' post='3216968']
Hi,

I was at the range today and I really got to try out my "new" L4V. I was amazed by how long it was even with the stock R shaft, but of course the ball flight was way too high.

I am having a really hard time to decide with shaft to put in it, and would greatly appreciate some insight. My SS is around 100.
I have narrowed it down to 2 shafts, the GD YSQ-st 65 -S or the UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight -S, which is getting allot of buzz in another thread.
I'm hoping to get this right the first time so I don't have to put shafts in and out all the time, but with all the lurking on this forum that will probably end up being the case anyway=)

The results I'm looking for is to lower the ball flight and maintain distance, I don't want a shaft that feels really boardy or too stout.

Still a couple of weeks left until the courses open here in the north of Sweden, so I hope I will be bombing the L4v at the premiere.

Thanks for any help!
[/quote]

Feel is pretty subjective when it comes to something feeling boardy and both are great shafts. The V2 gets a bad rap from some for feeling boardy. If that's the case, the V2 TF should feel better due to it's higher torque compared to the regular V2. Again, both are great shafts, but I'd go with the V2 TF for a couple of reasons- 1) it's a little heavier. That should stand up to the L4's high weight a little better. 2) I've hit both and the V2 TF was a little more accurate with a lower ball flight (I tipped both of the two I tried- 1" and the other .75"- both were awesome).

Good luck!
[/quote]

Decided to go with the V2 TF, tried it out today. Very happy wtih the feel of it. Still pretty high launching, but def. lower then stock shaft.
It was really windy today so hard to get a fair judging of distance, but overall i'm happy with it,

[quote name='kanzaclimber' timestamp='1306123691' post='3255168']
Just played in a tourney this weekend, and the old L4V won the "longest drive"! (hitting a TP Red ball) :yahoo: Such a sweet club. The head is a 9.0° with a Pured Prolaunch Platinum. My all time favorite driver.
[/quote]

Sweet, congradts! Im also a member of the all mighty L4V club!

Hate to say it, but for the moment my L4V has been relegated to a backup spot.

A 9064LS with Voodoo NV6 bumped it... hitting some huge, huge drives with this thing. But i'm certainly not selling the L4V. ;)

9.5* Callaway Rogue ST Max / MR Tensei Blue 55

15* TaylorMade SIM Ti / MR Diamana Limited FW 75

17.5* TaylorMade GAPR Hi / KBS Hybrid

21* Callaway Mavrik Max TC / MR Kuro Kage Black TiNi

5-GW Cobra Forged Tec X / KBS Tour Lite

52, 58* Ping Glide 4.0 / ZZ 115

Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth

[quote name='asuntag' timestamp='1306163425' post='3255823']
I know there have been a lot of people that have had success playing this head at 44" or 44.5" but has anyone tried going a hair longer (45.25" or 45.5")? Would be curious to hear how club performed with slightly longer shaft. Thanks.
[/quote]
I play mine at 45.5" and find that it is no more difficult to hit than any other driver. The huge face area probably has a lot to do with that!

I just got back from the Launch Monitor to see if anything could kick the L4V X out of my bag and it seems that my set up is off. Below are the averages of 10 swings each.

L4V X Epic X @ 45.5
Ball Speed Spin Angle Carry Total
151.9, 2194, 11.3, 242, 279.3

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Ahina 72X 45" B3 setting
158.2, 2580, 11.9, 270.8, 303.2

Not only was the Titleist much father but it was much more accurate. I didn't want to believe it but they had two monitors hooked up that day and both were saying the same thing. I do not want to get a new driver because I love the Cobra. Can someone let me know what I am missing here? I have been a fan of this thing since it came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone recommend a cheap shaft/head/loft combo for me for an L4V? I currently swing a PING i15, 9.5, axivcore red 69 stiff, 45.75 length. I am carrying about 240 with a SS of around 100. Launch is 11 deg-ish, spin is 2800-2900. I was thinking the L4V X 9 degree with a Proforce V2. (Prefer UST shafts with the lower torque, but need a mid or mid/high launch)

Not to thread jack - just for kicks I was reshafting my L4V X from UST axiv Core green stiff to original v2 66 reg (SS @95 - yes I admit I'm not one of these young long bombers here :(....
...accidently drilled through the hosel plug! But being positive (finding a way into the head) I decided to fill the head with cotton balls (2 balls) and half an index finger of Part A epoxy (poor man's hotmelt ;)...Tried it out yesterday at a range with crappy top rock xl 3000's and it sounds awesome! From tin can to baseball bat crack. Head weight only increased from 204- 209 :)

and for heisagoalie - I already hit the ball low, I noticed a very small increase in launch (sorry no computer data, just eyeing it with bad range balls) and no clue about spin....finally, if you didn't know already - the sw on this thing at 45 3/4 is going to make it at E something! I play it to 44 1/2 and it's at D7!! Be careful. good luck let me know if I can help you with anything else (i'm a part time pro shop technician at a large retail chain in Canada ;)

Cleve Classic 310 Miyazaki Kusala blue
Adams Tight lies 16*; Super LS 19, 22
Mizuno Mx 23
MPT 51*, MD 56*, Xrev 60*
Versa white #7
B330S

[quote name='gyippie' timestamp='1307486744' post='3291072']
Not to thread jack - just for kicks I was reshafting my L4V X from UST axiv Core green stiff to original v2 66 reg (SS @95 - yes I admit I'm not one of these young long bombers here :(....
[/quote]

Just an OH BY THE WAY ... When Holmes was using the L4 (which he has NEVER been as long since ) ...

His combo ... I outta know - I have it

9* LVX - PLAIN JANE RETAIL - standard weight head / UST 9180X Axiv Green - 44.5 inches ... BOMBED THE BEJESUS OUT OF IT !!!!!!!!

[quote name='csheetzrun' timestamp='1306267246' post='3259113']
I just got back from the Launch Monitor to see if anything could kick the L4V X out of my bag and it seems that my set up is off. Below are the averages of 10 swings each.

L4V X Epic X @ 45.5
151.9, 2194, 11.3, 242, 279.3

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Ahina 72X 45" B3 setting
158.2, 2580, 11.9, 270.8, 303.2

Not only was the Titleist much father but it was much more accurate. I didn't want to believe it but they had two monitors hooked up that day and both were saying the same thing. I do not want to get a new driver because I love the Cobra. Can someone let me know what I am missing here? I have been a fan of this thing since it came out.
[/quote]

My opinion ... Length of the L4 driver ... That's a 208-209 gram head vs a (guessing) 201-201ish head - with a superior shaft at that.

Cut that Epic down to 44.5 - 44.0 ish ... That's a of headweight to get thru impact

D2 is one heck of a driver though ;)

Can someone recommend a cheap shaft/head/loft combo for me for an L4V? I currently swing a PING i15, 9.5, axivcore red 69 stiff, 45.75 length. I am carrying about 240 with a SS of around 100. Launch is 11 deg-ish, spin is 2800-2900. I was thinking the L4V X 9 degree with a Proforce V2. (Prefer UST shafts with the lower torque, but need a mid or mid/high launch)

Cheapest to highest ... Prob all good ;)

V2 Tour Flight

TOURFLIGHT.jpg

PYPE !!

PYPE.jpg

RIP Alpha

RIP-ALPHA.jpg

AHINA

AHINA.jpg

I recommend the Aldilas ... That V2 would be good though ;)

Holy schnikes, this thread is still here?

My L4V still in the bag, EPIC shaft. Every time I play with someone new, they always want to know what I am hitting because the sound is so "horrid". Usually by the end of the round they typically say they would get one because of the distance I get but the sound is a dealbreaker. I politely say I don't mind the sound and really like the distance and forgiveness. I am not a monster either, no where near Robo's class

I'm still thinking about getting a L4VF and sticking a 8aa4 in it, have it at just under 44.5"...

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

[quote name='heisagoalie' timestamp='1307376402' post='3287961']
[/quote]

I've got a 9* L4Vx on a WB 73s Tipped 2" @ about 44. 5" that's in beautiful shape that I'd be willing to part with... I've got 6 Cobra drivers and will likely make another L4 monster later. PM me if you're interested or have questions about it.

Edit: This is for the folks that PM'd me!
[size="3"]
The whole thing is in great shape. I got the WB new and the L4 used but the head is an easy 8.5-9 out of 10. No sky marks or scratches on the top. Very clean- especially for a used head. A very small nick above the "V" in L4V on the face- you can see it in the pic.[/size]

[size="3"]It looks like it sits open a bit, but the pic should show.[/size]

[size="3"]Being tipped 2", this WB 73s plays like a [i]very[/i] firm "S", but not an "X". I've got both an S and an X. This S is no X, but it's certainly a lot firmer than its stated "S". While feel is subjective, I think it's still got the WB feel and kick while being able to handle the extra weight of the L4.[/size]

[size="3"]White NDMC, spined to 9:00 (face). Label out of sight and you can only see the flower band.[/size]

[size="3"]D 6.5 swing weight. [i]Just[/i] over 44.5" [/size]

[size="3"]I'm happy to answer any other questions!

[/size]

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I am new to this board and this is my first post, but after reading all the rave reviews on here about the L4V I went in search of one to replace my TM R540. I hit it well but just wanted something new and to maybe be able to add a bit more distance. Well Golftown told me I would never find one around the London area (Ontario, Canada) so I called around and nothing, decided to drive to Bob Marten's in South London and sure enough they had one, RH Stock stiff shaft and it is the F model. Took it and a TM Burner Superfast, liked both drivers but really really like the Cobra and for $99.00 compared to the $129 they wanted for the TM Burner I went with the Cobra. So with trade of my 540 I got it for $84 after taxes. Think I got a pretty good deal but I may go to Golftown and get it reshafted as I think the stiff may be a bit to stiff for my swing. My 540 was R flex and I over the years learned to slow my swing down a bit to compensate for the regular flex so now I feel I may have to start swinging a little harder than I am used to.
Anyways just wanted to add my 2 cents and let everyone know that this club is still going strong!! And fantastic forum you have here I sure am glad I found it.

Jay

Actually took my L4VX with blueboard out yesterday and hit very well. My gamers were being shipped back to my house which includes a S9-1 Pro S which is very long. I am thinking about having the L4VX reshafted back with comp nt shaft. I had this combination a few years ago and actually hit the longest drives I have ever hit with it. I ended up changing it out after thinking the blueboard would be a better combination but have regretted it ever since. I also have a ZL looking for a new shaft so I may be getting two re-shafted very soon. I did pick up the F11 with whiteboard hoping it would be a good combination but I am going to get rid of that and stick with Cobra drivers. I really forgot how good this driver is.

[quote name='knightd_2001' timestamp='1308600428' post='3322042']
Actually took my L4VX with blueboard out yesterday and hit very well. My gamers were being shipped back to my house which includes a S9-1 Pro S which is very long. I am thinking about having the L4VX reshafted back with comp nt shaft. I had this combination a few years ago and actually hit the longest drives I have ever hit with it. I ended up changing it out after thinking the blueboard would be a better combination but have regretted it ever since. I also have a ZL looking for a new shaft so I may be getting two re-shafted very soon. I did pick up the F11 with whiteboard hoping it would be a good combination but I am going to get rid of that and stick with Cobra drivers. I really forgot how good this driver is.
[/quote]

Took the L4VX out today testing it against other drivers with SK fiber shafts. I am looking to put another shaft in my ZL. The L4VX is still very very good. Today I was consistently hitting it straighter and longer than anything else I swung at the driving range. I am taking it out tomorrow to try it again but I guess newer is not always better.

[quote name='markjinc' timestamp='1309277326' post='3342196']
Anyone have any experience with a Harrison Saga shaft in this head? Going to experiment around as this is STILL the best driver ever made IMO.
[/quote]

If you go back just a few pages on this thread you will find several members who used and recommend the shaft in this head. Along with probably a thousand other shafts, but yes, this one has been used and reviewed on here.

I like this head, but am going to experiment with the Hibore XL heads, both were great heads around 2007.

Struggling with the driver again, and as a result i'll be grabbing my L4V from my cottage set this weekend. :partytime2: