2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Sorry, I should have qualified my post. The reason I think the stock Aldila VS Proto stinks is because I do not think it is a "real" VS Proto. I've hit plenty of VS Protos with other heads and have been happy with the results. The VS Proto that comes stock feels very different, so different that I actually emailed Cobra and they replied back and said the VS Proto that they stock in the Pro D and that is a custom offering with a $0 upcharge is a "proprietary Cobra VS Proto". That indirectly tells me it's not the real deal and because of the poor performance of the shaft it makes a lot of sense.

... I did hit the Cobra Speed Pro D with a VS Proto VERY high, so I know what you mean. But, I just talked to the VP of Engineering at Aldila and the yellow VS Proto Cobra offers stock is a "real" VS Proto By You in every way but color. However, I have no idea what they do with it for their proprietary install. OEM's notoriously soften the flex of any given shaft because the average guy with an 83mph swingspeed comes into the store insisting he needs a stiff flex. Callaway ruined it for everyone by offering an R flex shaft with an S on it. All of a sudden guys were hittin their drives higher and farther... DUH!!! So many OEM's had no choice but to follow them. Now it is very difficult to know just what frequency a stock shaft is without measuring it. Given the 208gm head, the shaft will also flex more than a standard install of no compensation is made.

... Of course, none of this applies to the very elite players that can carry the ball 275+. You guys are in a different category, and I'd be surprised to find any stock shaft that would fit you. And nay-nay ne-nay-nay even though I have a meager 100mph swing and can only carry it 300 with a driver and lob wedge, I CAN PUTT BETTER THAN YOU!!! ; )

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Sorry, I should have qualified my post. The reason I think the stock Aldila VS Proto stinks is because I do not think it is a "real" VS Proto. I've hit plenty of VS Protos with other heads and have been happy with the results. The VS Proto that comes stock feels very different, so different that I actually emailed Cobra and they replied back and said the VS Proto that they stock in the Pro D and that is a custom offering with a $0 upcharge is a "proprietary Cobra VS Proto". That indirectly tells me it's not the real deal and because of the poor performance of the shaft it makes a lot of sense.

... I did hit the Cobra Speed Pro D with a VS Proto VERY high, so I know what you mean. But, I just talked to the VP of Engineering at Aldila and the yellow VS Proto Cobra offers stock is a "real" VS Proto By You in every way but color. However, I have no idea what they do with it for their proprietary install. OEM's notoriously soften the flex of any given shaft because the average guy with an 83mph swingspeed comes into the store insisting he needs a stiff flex. Callaway ruined it for everyone by offering an R flex shaft with an S on it. All of a sudden guys were hittin their drives higher and farther... DUH!!! So many OEM's had no choice but to follow them. Now it is very difficult to know just what frequency a stock shaft is without measuring it. Given the 208gm head, the shaft will also flex more than a standard install of no compensation is made.

... Of course, none of this applies to the very elite players that can carry the ball 275+. You guys are in a different category, and I'd be surprised to find any stock shaft that would fit you. And nay-nay ne-nay-nay even though I have a meager 100mph swing and can only carry it 300 with a driver and lob wedge, I CAN PUTT BETTER THAN YOU!!! ; )

I agree I just had my L4V F S freq tested and it came out to the low 240s. I am having it tipped to see if it changes much but we'll see. If not the whiteboard here I come.

whats a guy have to do to get some help around here, sike, I put the evo 70 gram shaft in this thing at 45" and it swingweights at D9, way to heavy, need to get it way down.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Would a XCon-5 work with the X or F ? Has anybody tried it ?

Thanks

I haven't tried an X-Con 5 in a L4V but I have tried an X-Con 5 and in my opinion it's not a high launch shaft............it's a VERY VERY high launch shaft. Unless you hit the ball extremely low I don't think I would try it in a L4V, but that's just my opinion.

Ai Smoke TD Max 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus TR Black 7

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

I am NOT posting this as a negative, so please don't take this the wrong way. Just a suggestion.

Would the people who HAVE hit the L4V PLEASE post something under the reviews section for the L4V. We have 12 pages of posts on this thing in US DOM IMP section, but ZERO posts under the REVIEWS section.

Just a thought.

Well, after about 3 weeks of actual play in the skins tourny, this one is a keeper. It's not going back to Roger Dunn.

It's a L4V F speed with a stiff shaft though but I decided to order a protopype 60 S this week to lower the flight a tad and cut the shaft down to 44 3/4 to see how it goes but will keep the diamana as a backup. I played with a sumo2 guy and his flight was way lower that gave him about a 60 yard advantage. Yes, it is possible to hook and slice the sh*t out of this head so that just proves a truly bad swing, there is NO CURE but thank goodness, it's on the 1 out of 10 side. Having the more open L4V X will not do anything for me and the F face angle looks pretty good with a slight draw flight.

Can't wait to try the protopype 60S with my SS eventhough I have played with heavier and stiffer shaft like the Graman 780 Cherry Bomb and that works really good with a lower ball flight and tons of roll and carry.

So the L4V cool aid is great, until the next gen of L4V comes out.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Well, after about 3 weeks of actual play in the skins tourny, this one is a keeper. It's not going back to Roger Dunn.

It's a L4V F speed with a stiff shaft though but I decided to order a protopype 60 S this week to lower the flight a tad and cut the shaft down to 44 3/4 to see how it goes but will keep the diamana as a backup. I played with a sumo2 guy and his flight was way lower that gave him about a 60 yard advantage.

The guy with the Sumo2 was outdriving you by 60 yards???

It's a L4V F speed with a stiff shaft though but I decided to order a protopype 60 S this week to lower the flight a tad and cut the shaft down to 44 3/4 to see how it goes but will keep the diamana as a backup. I played with a sumo2 guy and his flight was way lower that gave him about a 60 yard advantage.

yep, he did that on one of the holes. i don't have that fast a SS (around 98 to 102) and this guy can hit. he's got the old square sumo and this guy can hit it. We both had rock solid drives and the flight trajectory was obvious..mine went like a 10* and his went like a 8*. My l4v went high and got almost no roll on it from what i could see on the tee. that's OK. On the other holes he was cutting most of his drives over to the right and into the trees while mine was almost dead centre. That's why I am thinking the protopype is the trick to lower it a fraction...

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

yep, he did that on one of the holes. i don't have that fast a SS (around 98 to 102) and this guy can hit. he's got the old square sumo and this guy can hit it. We both had rock solid drives and the flight trajectory was obvious..mine went like a 10* and his went like a 8*. My l4v went high and got almost no roll on it from what i could see on the tee. that's OK. On the other holes he was cutting most of his drives over to the right and into the trees while mine was almost dead centre. That's why I am thinking the protopype is the trick to lower it a fraction...

It sounds to me like the height was coming from the spin not the launch (Which the Protopype will fix as well) I would get put on a monitor to see where your spin is at currently.

My SS is identical to yours, 98-102 looking forward to following your progress with the setup.

Good luck!

Will do - I order the protopype on wed but it won't get here until feb 17 so it will be a while. glad to find someone here that has the same swing speed as mine...all these 100+ SS crowd here...feels like I'm in the bush in a forest of Sequoias, lol.

Oh...i was playing with my pro on Monday and another buddy. My pro has an SQ, very, very smooth swing with a low draw flight. The other guy is like me about the same SS and plays a G10 in the stock shaft. My pro and I both killed the other guy's G10 off solid hits...infact, his "jnr" nickname got a more of a "junior". I really enjoyed the drives that day...

Just some info for ya....for any of you who do your own work. I just re-shafted my L4VX this morning. Super Easy. No word of a lie...I use a simple 2 setting heatgun...had the heat (on high) and hit the heel area of the face & back of the hosel only....15 SECONDS FLAT!!!! I couldn't believe it. The Pype looks KILLER in this head. Even found a grip in my buddy's shop, that matches the color of the shaft pretty good too. It's a Lamkin Crossline Classic Full Cord (Round)......Later....Phil.

Anyone try a Grafalloy Blue-x or ProLaunch red-x? How did it work out? I have both in J33 heads. Thanks.

I tried a PL red S tipped in the 10 degree F. It was a disaster. Moonball lob shots. Surprising as I have a G10 with that setup and kill it. I have tried several shafts in a 9 degree X , 9 degree F, 10 degree F. All shafts except the PL red have been consistant, but the best overall setup for me has been a pershing 55 X in the 9 degree F. I am finally getting the distance of some of my better distance drivers yet still have the point and shoot accuracy of the L4V. The pershing flattens out the ballflights angle of descent, but the hangtiime is still there. It took a dozen configurations but I think I finally nailed it. I didnt even have to counter weight it. At 45.5 inches it didnt feel like a warclub. I prefer heavier head on the 202 203 gram range anyway so this didnt feel bad at all.

It sounds like some of you have not only drank the Kool-Aid, but have taken a bath in it...

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried the "Big 3" shafts in this head. The Whiteboard, Protopype, and PM 702... Extra credit to those who've tried all three. ;)

And I double dog dare you to provide LM data for all 3 shafts...

Sincerely,

"Kool-Aid Obsessed" 307golf

Ok. Here's the deal. Tomorrow i'm going to be hitting my L4 with the protoPYPE in it.

This is after a failed attempt with the PM702. The first thing I notice with the PYPE(60x),

is that it feels MUCH lighter. To me, this a good thing. The pm702x was just spinning

to much for ME.

So, if the PYPE doesn't work(and I have a couple of them), I might have to open up the

moth ball filled wallet and try the Whiteboard. We'll see. Will report later.

BTW, sawmillphil, are you going to be in mourning tomorrow.(Burton's :) ) :D

Well...yesterday was the day! Got the Whiteboard 63X installed in my L4V X by Joe Kwok the day before, and was able to get out to give her a test run at the range. :)

Let me just say...the shaft change makes such a HUGE difference! I went from hitting the stock shaft super high...with a few left to right bananas...to knocking it dead straight. It just seems like all you have to do is put a decent swing on it and the ball goes right down the middle....and far! Of couse when you catch it right....good night! :D Ball flight is now much lower...although still higher than I am used to seeing out of my HiBore XL Tour. I will say that it's likely me....3 out of 5 would be on the high side, with 2 of them being right where I had hoped. I tweaked my tee height a bit (lowering it just a little)...and all was good after that.

The WB feels incredible...smooth, but nicely stiff. Joe set mine up at 44.75, a bit over D3, untipped. We also weighed the head...208 grams. And not that it matters....but IMHO, I have never seen a better looking driver. I am a huge carbon fiber fan and the use of it on the L4V makes it soooo sexy. The color scheme is also dead on....the head sets up perfectly...and the club inspires major confidence. And the sound? Heck...I like it personally. And for all I care.....the club could go "BOING!" and if it goes as straight and far as the Cobra....bring it on! ;)

I only had a somewhat short time with it at the range, so the virdict is still out for me as to how much, if at all, longer it is than my HiBore. I hit the two back to back a few times...and the biggest differences are the accuracy, and the feel. The ball just pops off of the face of the Cobra, and my HiBore feels harsh. Don't get me wrong...the HiBore is one heck of a driver...and makes me wonder how much better this year's version is than my '07. But given the confidence that the L4V inspires...I can see myself going after it more and more which will likely yield greater distance results.

Anyway...in the end, this driver is everything I hoped it would be and more. Once I get some more time with it, I am sure that it will be one long, fairway finding, machine! And if ever the saying 'Grip it and rip it' applied to a club...........this is it!

Thanks ROBO....this is some might fine Kool Aid! ;)

RIDE

Ride...Love the look of your signature...anything with skulls rock. 1022.gif

Well I brought junior home this morning, after installing the PYPE in it yesterday. I threw the grip on it this morning. Now I just have to wait about another month & a half to game it. Looks mean 676.gif now...if a Driver can...LOL. The grip matches pretty well, like I thought it would. Here are a few pic's......

It's 44.5" finished length, and just a smidge...over D4 SW...it feels fine though, not too heavy at all. That's about all for know...I'll most likely get on the LM again, for my own curiosity. Of course, some range sessions are on order also. Come on Spring!!!!

Later.....Phil.

Ride...Love the look of your signature...anything with skulls rock. 1022.gif

Well I brought junior home this morning, after installing the PYPE in it yesterday. I threw the grip on it this morning. Now I just have to wait about another month & a half to game it. Looks mean 676.gif now...if a Driver can...LOL. The grip matches pretty well, like I thought it would. Here are a few pic's......

It's 44.5" finished length, and just a smidge...over D4 SW...it feels fine though, not too heavy at all. That's about all for know...I'll most likely get on the LM again, for my own curiosity. Of course, some range sessions are on order also. Come on Spring!!!!

Later.....Phil.

Looks sweet Phil...keep us posted!!

Pat

One with a Whiteboard...one with a Pype..looking like some good reviews might be had for tomorrow! ( I am on my way out the door to possibly get a goodie thrown in to my spare after I post this..so I might have one too)

I got home late last night, and have the chance to hit my clubs for the first time in two weeks (Pav's 46" 1/2 Rebar stuff doesnt QUITE suit me). The irons took a couple of swings to break back in, but the L4V was incredible. I had about a 5 yard fade on the first couple of swings, and once I got settled back in, it was back to laser guided rockets that strayed very very little from the target line. Two week lay off, having to work my swing back, and my drives are missing the target line by just a couple of yards...I think that would work for just about anyone!

Kool Aid for all...this round is on me!

Brian

Well...yesterday was the day! Got the Whiteboard 63X installed in my L4V X by Joe Kwok the day before, and was able to get out to give her a test run at the range. :)

Let me just say...the shaft change makes such a HUGE difference! I went from hitting the stock shaft super high...with a few left to right bananas...to knocking it dead straight. It just seems like all you have to do is put a decent swing on it and the ball goes right down the middle....and far! Of couse when you catch it right....good night! :D Ball flight is now much lower...although still higher than I am used to seeing out of my HiBore XL Tour. I will say that it's likely me....3 out of 5 would be on the high side, with 2 of them being right where I had hoped. I tweaked my tee height a bit (lowering it just a little)...and all was good after that.

The WB feels incredible...smooth, but nicely stiff. Joe set mine up at 44.75, a bit over D3, untipped. We also weighed the head...208 grams. And not that it matters....but IMHO, I have never seen a better looking driver. I am a huge carbon fiber fan and the use of it on the L4V makes it soooo sexy. The color scheme is also dead on....the head sets up perfectly...and the club inspires major confidence. And the sound? Heck...I like it personally. And for all I care.....the club could go "BOING!" and if it goes as straight and far as the Cobra....bring it on! ;)

I only had a somewhat short time with it at the range, so the virdict is still out for me as to how much, if at all, longer it is than my HiBore. I hit the two back to back a few times...and the biggest differences are the accuracy, and the feel. The ball just pops off of the face of the Cobra, and my HiBore feels harsh. Don't get me wrong...the HiBore is one heck of a driver...and makes me wonder how much better this year's version is than my '07. But given the confidence that the L4V inspires...I can see myself going after it more and more which will likely yield greater distance results.

Anyway...in the end, this driver is everything I hoped it would be and more. Once I get some more time with it, I am sure that it will be one long, fairway finding, machine! And if ever the saying 'Grip it and rip it' applied to a club...........this is it!

Thanks ROBO....this is some might fine Kool Aid! ;)

RIDE

Could you give some swing info? Just curious because I am undecided between getting a stiff or x-stiff. Thanks!