2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Alright ROBO and others. What would be your choice if you were to only pick one shaft over 75 grams and also very accuarate? I play alot of desert golf, Target golf where if you miss the fairway a bogey is almost a given.

I was thinking Whiteboard 83, Protopype 80, VS Proto 80 or Speeder 757.

Also I have fast tempo and SS 115 and like my drivers at 44.5". My thought was ordering a VS Proto 80 since Cobra offers it as an upgrade for 60 bucks. Also would they tip it if I asked?

I would think that they would tip it if you asked, but you could always just order it longer and then tip accordingly. The VS Proto launches nicely in that head. I think the VS proto or Whiteboard would be good. If it helps, I had a nearly identical spin rate in the L4V with a Diamana that I did with a FT-3 Tour with a Diamana. The FT-3 did spin slightly lower, but it was only 100 RPM's or so.

Side note: 20 pages!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Alright ROBO and others. What would be your choice if you were to only pick one shaft over 75 grams and also very accuarate? I play alot of desert golf, Target golf where if you miss the fairway a bogey is almost a given.

Also I have fast tempo and SS 115 and like my drivers at 44.5". My thought was ordering a VS Proto 80 since Cobra offers it as an upgrade for 60 bucks. Also would they tip it if I asked?

I would think that they would tip it if you asked, but you could always just order it longer and then tip accordingly. The VS Proto launches nicely in that head. I think the VS proto or Whiteboard would be good. If it helps, I had a nearly identical spin rate in the L4V with a Diamana that I did with a FT-3 Tour with a Diamana. The FT-3 did spin slightly lower, but it was only 100 RPM's or so.

Side note: 20 pages!

Thats good to hear that it spins that low.

Also which shaft is the most stable between the WB 83, Pype 80 and VS proto 80? I game the VS Proto 80 currently but never have hit a Pype 80 or WB 83. Basically I want a shaft that doesn't go left on me in which my VS Proto 80 works well.

WB 83 has the highest torque # of the 4 shafts you mentioned @ 2.8. Never ponied up the $$$ to game a WB, but with it's previous stated smoothness...could be a winner with some tipping.

ProtoPYPE 80 has a torque of 2.2

VS Proto 80 has the same as PYPE at 2.2

Speeder 757 has a torque of 2.5

The VS, like you already stated...may be the way to go. It's going to be pretty heavy, as I'm sure you're aware of. If you like 'em like that though...then what the heck! I know for a fact that COBRA will NOT tip trim!! I tried...believe me I tried. Hope this helps.

LaTeR...pHiL.

Also which shaft is the most stable between the WB 83, Pype 80 and VS proto 80? I game the VS Proto 80 currently but never have hit a Pype 80 or WB 83. Basically I want a shaft that doesn't go left on me in which my VS Proto 80 works well.

I CANNOT go left with the PYPE. It's either straight, or a fade if I want it.

PYPE...the anti-left shaft. :D

Damn it! Really? I really just want to buy one on ebay instead of ordering one and having to wait for it.

Big Jess, my 02...get it off the bay and put the right shaft into it...

Top three:

WB, PM702 or the ProtoPype

Good luck- and keep us posted.

Kindest regards, Shawnee

ps If you go WB, what I found out that it needs to be tipped 1/2 inch to play to flex

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

WB 83 has the highest torque # of the 4 shafts you mentioned @ 2.8. Never ponied up the $$$ to game a WB, but with it's previous stated smoothness...could be a winner with some tipping.

ProtoPYPE 80 has a torque of 2.2

VS Proto 80 has the same as PYPE at 2.2

Speeder 757 has a torque of 2.5

The VS, like you already stated...may be the way to go. It's going to be pretty heavy, as I'm sure you're aware of. If you like 'em like that though...then what the heck! I know for a fact that COBRA will NOT tip trim!! I tried...believe me I tried. Hope this helps.

LaTeR...pHiL.

Yeah I like heavier driver shafts. Helps me control my tempo plus they tend to be more stable in the higher weights. I also play my drivers at 44.5".

I think I will go with the VS Proto 80. Leave it a inch longer so I can pull it and tip it. I'm surprised they won't tip the shafts at all? I mean it take 5 seconds to lop it off. WTF???

I think 1 inch tip is the way to go for this head. How does your Pype feel with the 1 inch tip?

Yeah I like heavier driver shafts. Helps me control my tempo plus they tend to be more stable in the higher weights. I also play my drivers at 44.5".

I think I will go with the VS Proto 80. Leave it a inch longer so I can pull it and tip it. I'm surprised they won't tip the shafts at all? I mean it take 5 seconds to lop it off. WTF???

I think 1 inch tip is the way to go for this head. How does your Pype feel with the 1 inch tip?

FWIW...I game mine at 44.5" also, SW = D4, my last (LM) SS avg. was 113.2 mph. It feels really good tipped 1". Super stable through impact. Not boardy feeling at all. I don't know why Cobra won't tip trim. Probably so they don't have customers coming back saying "this isn't right...you messed it up...I want another shaft", or something along those lines. I'd say order it as long as possible...pull it, and tip it yourself. Let us know how things work out.

LaTeR...pHiL.

I CANNOT go left with the PYPE. It's either straight, or a fade if I want it.

PYPE...the anti-left shaft. :D

Fo' sho', I have a .5" tipped 80x in my tour BUL and it used to go left on me way too much with an Accuflex Evolution but NO MO'! Whiteboard is the same way and Matrix F7M2 (LTD) also.

Damn it! Really? I really just want to buy one on ebay instead of ordering one and having to wait for it.

Big Jess, my 02...get it off the bay and put the right shaft into it...

Top three:

WB, PM702 or the ProtoPype

Good luck- and keep us posted.

Kindest regards, Shawnee

ps If you go WB, what I found out that it needs to be tipped 1/2 inch to play to flex

Thanks, it will most likely be the bay. And I'm also likely to have more than one as always. One with a higher trajectory and a worm burner for windy days. Maybe a 46" with a back weighted 55 gram shaft...

Thanks, it will most likely be the bay. And I'm also likely to have more than one as always. One with a higher trajectory and a worm burner for windy days. Maybe a 46" with a back weighted 55 gram shaft...

Big Jess- Diggin' your sig Bro, looks like multiple "environment" set ups, from the top of the bag to the ammo...LOL

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

Just got my F Speed L4V shafted with the protopype 60 S in 44 1/2. It feels just a tad heavier and not as whippy, just doing air swings. Gonna take it out and play a practice round with it which is what's needed. I know exactly where I use to hit the pre-pype so it will be interesting to see the ball fly today and land today.

However, I still kept my stock redboard, just in case.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Yeah Jess, I'm amazed myself. I hit the PM702 just fine but there's a balance to the stock X setup that I can actually feel which is lacking with the GD. I don't know if it has anything to do with the so called "balance point" in the Cobra description or what, but it is noticeable to me in hitting the two side by side. I know that stock setups get a bad rap, from me included, but I'm starting to think that this one may not be so bad. I may use the GD setup for windy days, soggy fairways, etc. and use the stock X for those clear, somewhat humid days, where the ball just carries. Either that or I'll sell it or trade it for some CB2 fairways :D

I fianlly received my L4V , F, 10 degress today with the standard ® Redboard shaft. ( I am really a low ball hitter) I want to test this shaft first but after that I might have another shaft to try. Although I know some people here disagree with my choice I have an Ozik Xcon-5 (F) that I want to experiment with but my local clubbuilder won't replace the shaft because of the aluminum hosel in L4V and Cobra won't install an Ozik at all. Plus when they do put one of their approved shafts in this club they destroy the Redboard. Is there anyone on the board that does this type work? I would be glad to pay any reasonable fees.

Can't wait to swallow the Kool-Aid! :D

I fianlly received my L4V , F, 10 degress today with the standard ® Redboard shaft. ( I am really a low ball hitter) I want to test this shaft first but after that I might have another shaft to try. Although I know some people here disagree with my choice I have an Ozik Xcon-5 (F) that I want to experiment with but my local clubbuilder won't replace the shaft because of the aluminum hosel in L4V and Cobra won't install an Ozik at all. Plus when they do put one of their approved shafts in this club they destroy the Redboard. Is there anyone on the board that does this type work? I would be glad to pay any reasonable fees.

If you decide to put it in send me a PM and I can do it for you. Either that or send Joe Kwok a message and get that bad boy Kwok'ed!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

but my local clubbuilder won't replace the shaft because of the aluminum hosel in L4V and Cobra won't install an Ozik at all. Plus when they do put one of their approved shafts in this club they destroy the Redboard. Is there anyone on the board that does this type work? I would be glad to pay any reasonable fees.

After talking to LORD ROBO...he put my mind at ease...in regards to pulling the factory shaft. 1st composite I've owned. Just wasn't sure of how much heat it could stand. No word of a lie...I had that sucker pulled in 15 seconds flat. I don't know what all these "club builders" are afraid of. I've been doing my own reshafts for about 8 years...not an expert, but no novice either. I agree with TMGG182, you could always contact joey3108. ;)

I figured I'd post my question about my l4v here since most the users are still reading the thread. Once i get it (this weekend) should i take it and hit at the heated stalls they have at an outdoor range in MN? Or is that a risk to the composite? Don't need this thing being deformed before the season starts. VS PROTO 60x here we COME!!! let the KOOL-AID drinking begin!

Where can you get an L4V with stock X flex shaft? I have seen posts saying people have this option but I can't find it as an option on any of the major retailer websites.

go to TGW and they have a tab on the front page, "Custom Clubs"

then select Cobra from the list, then select the model and then scroll down

when you have the right club and there is a fifth tab "Customize" that

starts the interactive build process...

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Finally got to hit it today...hit about 40 balls. It's nice & sunny but damn cold. 26 degrees...wind chill = a balmy 16 degrees. Perfect for hitting balls. NOT! This is the only part that SUCKS for us guys up north...very bad time of the year to be trying to set up a Driver for the upcoming season.

Sorry for quoting myself...I had to go back to see what day I did hit balls with it outside. It was really cold. Covered hitting area...no heat!!!

I figured I'd post my question about my l4v here since most the users are still reading the thread. Once i get it (this weekend) should i take it and hit at the heated stalls they have at an outdoor range in MN? Or is that a risk to the composite? Don't need this thing being deformed before the season starts. VS PROTO 60x here we COME!!! let the KOOL-AID drinking begin!

You'll be fine...swing away bud!!

Where can you get an L4V with stock X flex shaft? I have seen posts saying people have this option but I can't find it as an option on any of the major retailer websites.

I managed to find mine on eBay.

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

Finally got to hit it today...hit about 40 balls. It's nice & sunny but damn cold. 26 degrees...wind chill = a balmy 16 degrees. Perfect for hitting balls. NOT! This is the only part that SUCKS for us guys up north...very bad time of the year to be trying to set up a Driver for the upcoming season.

Sorry for quoting myself...I had to go back to see what day I did hit balls with it outside. It was really cold. Covered hitting area...no heat!!!

You'll be fine...swing away bud!!

I WAS HOPING YOU'D SAY THAT! ;) ;) :clapping: :D