2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

You're really cutting your distance SHORT. With your swing speed and a lower spin, you should be at a total distance closer to 300 yards on a well struck hit...

with 102 SS, 300 should almost NEVER happen. In fact, unless it's downhill or downwind, or the fairway is as hard as a runway, it's nearly impossible.

"closer" to 300... read the post and the original one. It's not that far off!!!

My swing speed is 95-98, I've been measured at 280 in several tournaments. 102ss should get "closer to 300" than my ss if he hits it well. Geez.

What really was the point of your post?

If you have additional information that will help him out, say it. Don't just slash someone else's post.

I could add to the 'holy crap this thing is long' portion of the thread... but it seems we're doing a good job proving that.

After golfing this weekend in Dallas, I have to say it's the misses that made the most difference. I had some pretty bad swings (in a 45 mph wind on Sunday) that with my old driver- a Superquad TP- would have poor to horrendous results. My surprise after trying to correct a sloppy swing and looking up to see the ball flying straight or close to my intended line.

The extra 10-20-30 yards on a well-struck shot are nice. The surprises I get after swashbuckling my way through a downswing are awesome!

Thanks Tee Time and NYGOLF. I thought the numbers were a little weak. Any suggestions? Anyone else that has a suggestion, please feel free to chime in!

By the way, can a shaft effect ball speed? I'm usually over 150 mph, and I never got there with the L4V...

How is this driver the bomb for you if the ball speed is slower than normal?

Ordered my L4V X about a month ago, it came UPS two weeks ago and the shaft was shattered and UPS blamed it on the cold weather (MN -10). My new one came today but I broke my rib last night in city league, locked myself out of the house this morning and a hurd of black cats crossed my path while I was carrying a broken mirror under a ladder. Can anything else go wrong today?

This club had better be sick!

Thanks Tee Time and NYGOLF. I thought the numbers were a little weak. Any suggestions? Anyone else that has a suggestion, please feel free to chime in!

By the way, can a shaft effect ball speed? I'm usually over 150 mph, and I never got there with the L4V...

How is this driver the bomb for you if the ball speed is slower than normal?

Hahaha! Well, I guess you caught me...I put that up after I played two rounds and had not been on a launch monitor! But I will say, regardless of the stats, I played very well with it over the course of 54 holes.....it is VERY forgiving and for me, does NOT go left at all.

WHAT IS UP KOOL-AIDE BRIGADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! star-wars-smiley-013.gifstar-wars-smiley-009.gifstar-wars-smiley-009.gif

Just an fyi .. I have been BEATING on the L4s for a while now ... and 2 are coming to the front - and very apparently at that ... I began to notice over the last few weeks that I was running into low spin conditions here & there - so I wanted to get a good blend of launch - spin - stability etc ...

Gents ... The Epic / L4 combo at 45 ..... and at 44 - IT SUCH A NO BRAINER !!!!!!!! ..... L4 / Fuji HK-110. Guys - for anyone looking for a "golf" weapon - TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - go 44 inches and go a tad heavy on the shaft ... It is just LETHAL !!!! ... You would have to pry the HK-110 out of my cold dead hands !!! ... STUPID !!! accurate / Long / STABLE STABLE STABLE .. and at 44 with that weight - you feel the ENTIRE swing and its so controlled !!!

I am thinking Diamana Blue 103 soon ... or anything in that weight range at 44

1102.jpg

EPC2.jpg

SOOO good !!!

Are the weight of the F and X heads the same? I don't want an open face driver so I'm leaning towards the F but not if the head is less weight.

Don't leave Camp Callaway!!!

:wub: I pretty much hit my Cleveland XL exclusively last year. I will never get rid of my FT-3 as that is my "old faithful". This year I'm looking to get back the mojo I had with my 690.cb's, so I'm looking at the 695's now that they've dropped in price.

Are the weight of the F and X heads the same? I don't want an open face driver so I'm leaning towards the F but not if the head is less weight.

I am 99.999999999999999999999999% sure they are the same !!!! - weight wise

Thank you!!!!!! L4V F with either the stock X RB in X-stiff or Pershing 65 in Stiff, oh the decisions. :wub:

The Protopype is stiffer than the VS Proto. The stiff VS Proto should play softer in the L4 than in the D2.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

it would be great, if the L4V experts could help me as to which L4V specs i should try?

my latest LM numbers (i actually managed to make ten reasonably representative swings while being on this thing) with my HS9 X, 9*, stock Graph Design YS 6.6+ shaft, S-Flex look like this:

average of the ten best swings (out of a total of 15):

clubhead speed 97,3 mph, avg ball speed 141,2 mph, avg launch angle 13.2, avg spin rate 2.700.

my misses with the HS 9 are slices (about 1 out of 12), the others are either straight or a slight fade.

so, for the L4V, i am leaning towards the F model with 10* loft.

is that a good idea?

but i am at a total loss, when it comes to shafts. all i can say is, that i liked the feel of the aldila nv shafts in the older cobra speed models and that i like the stock fuji red shaft i have in my hibore xl, and that i cannot come to grips with the V2 i have in another driver.

i would be grateful for your suggestions.

thank you.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

WHAT IS UP KOOL-AIDE BRIGADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! star-wars-smiley-013.gifstar-wars-smiley-009.gifstar-wars-smiley-009.gif

Just an fyi .. I have been BEATING on the L4s for a while now ... and 2 are coming to the front - and very apparently at that ... I began to notice over the last few weeks that I was running into low spin conditions here & there - so I wanted to get a good blend of launch - spin - stability etc ...

Gents ... The Epic / L4 combo at 45 ..... and at 44 - IT SUCH A NO BRAINER !!!!!!!! ..... L4 / Fuji HK-110. Guys - for anyone looking for a "golf" weapon - TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - go 44 inches and go a tad heavy on the shaft ... It is just LETHAL !!!! ... You would have to pry the HK-110 out of my cold dead hands !!! ... STUPID !!! accurate / Long / STABLE STABLE STABLE .. and at 44 with that weight - you feel the ENTIRE swing and its so controlled !!!

I am thinking Diamana Blue 103 soon ... or anything in that weight range at 44

1102.jpg

EPC2.jpg

SOOO good !!!

That's exactly what I'm NOT getting with the PM 702 X untipped at 45" (probably should have tipped it). I put it up against my Burner TP V2 8.5* in my sig and it (Burner) was longer (roll) and felt more stable. Wow, the first hit I put on L4v on the range echoed all over the range!! Anyway, I did a comparison (not side by side because I was playing in a foursome and didn't want to slow down play) so I played 9 with my Burner and 9 with the L4V. Unfortunately, I've never played the PM 702 so I can't tell whether it was the heavy head that made it play soft but I definitely got less roll with it than my Burner 8.5/Pershing. I actually think that the PM would be a good 3 wood shaft for me. The swing weight came out at D8 but I didn't feel that at all. Swinging it felt absolutely fantastic and I was flying it a good 270 to 290 (no wind or with wind) but I was losing 20 to 30 yards against the wind. I also noticed after that the hits were directly in the center of the face so maybe hitting the ball a little higher on the face would reduce the spin more.

I am now thinking that the VTLT that I have coming may be the ticket for me.

As for forgiveness, I didn't miss hit it at all so I'll leave that for later although I did miss hit my Burner once or twice. The better contact for me with the L4V could be because of the heavier swing weight. That's an enlightening fact for me. I can feel the heavier swing weight when I hold it in my hands out in front of me but I don't feel it at all heavier when I swing it.

Robo, I think you've moved on from that shaft (PM 702) also. Was that what your issue was with this shaft? I think this shaft would be good for someone with a swing speed of around 110 mph or so.

So the tweaks begin (the fun part for me) until I can get equal or more distance than my Tour Burners and keep the tighter dispersion I already got.

Here is a picture I took of the difference in face sizes of the L vs. Tour Burner V1 and where on the L that I was hitting yesterday's drives. I think it was a bit low now that I see it. On the Burner it would have been in the perfect spot.

Pretty happy with my current setup but I am seriously considering taking the plunge with you all. What I am considering is having it custom built by Cobra. I am liking the sound of Robo's 44" heavy shaft combo. The two shafts I just saw as options would be VS Proto 80x or s. Or an Accra SC 95 x or s. What are your thoughts on these Robo or anyone else who may have tried these shafts? Just thinking of having Cobra do it to avoid any possible warranty issues. I dont have the cash to buy multiple heads and just want to get it right. Thanks

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Pretty happy with my current setup but I am seriously considering taking the plunge with you all. What I am considering is having it custom built by Cobra. I am liking the sound of Robo's 44" heavy shaft combo. The two shafts I just saw as options would be VS Proto 80x or s. Or an Accra SC 95 x or s. What are your thoughts on these Robo or anyone else who may have tried these shafts? Just thinking of having Cobra do it to avoid any possible warranty issues. I dont have the cash to buy multiple heads and just want to get it right. Thanks

I like the SC 95. Have one in a 905R and although it spins too much (it's the head, not the shaft) it feels great. My 905R combo is at 44 inches too. It's also a beautiful shaft. Put a Golf pride DD MC blue and black on it and it's the super model of golf shafts. :wub:

Hit my L4VX with Rombax 5Z08 shaft at 45-1/2" tipped 1/2"for the first time on the course (The Crossings at Carlsbad) today. Let me first say that although it weighs out at D-9 it doesn't feel overly heavy at all to me and I'm really enjoying having a head with some weight to it for a change.

Somehow my swing, which is very smooth tempo 104-110 SS and heavy loading (I consistently score 1.5 smash factor or above on numerous launch monitors) seems to benefit from the extra weight. Also the combo of the L4VX head and Rombax Z shaft gives me great roll out and into the wind the weight seems to make the ball cut through the wind instead of rising up into it (it was very windy in Carlsbad today). I'm a very high spin player and tried several different balls today including the TM LDP Red, Callaway Tour IX and Titleist ProV1X and got great carry and roll with all of them.

Today I was in places I have never been off the tee before. #12 at The Crossings is a 447 yard par 4 from the black tees and I was 102 yds out after the tee shot. I've never hit wedge into this hole before. This hole not downwind, more of a crosswind.

#13 is 349 yds par 4 from the blacks and I'm 10 feet off the front edge of the green after my drive. Closest I've ever been with my TM Burner TP is about 60 yards. This hole was downwind, but still, I was amazed.

Time after time I was driving it longer and straighter than ever before, both into the wind and against it. My playing partners were equally amazed. All of them asked to hit the L4VX and of course I let them. They all could tell this driver is something special. It will be in my bag for quite awhile that's for sure.

How does the Protopype play like in the L4V I have a 98mph SS and I have hit the VS Proto ByYou 60-S in a D2 and it seems too stiff for me. Or should I just stick with my stock redboard?

hmmh...the pype is stiffer based on the specs i've seen. i had a choice of a pulled proto as well but i decided to still go with the pype.

i have my F speed at 44 1/2 with the pype 60 s and you're about the same SS as me, 98SS but I can crank to 102SS if I have to (rather not cause i get uncontrollable results). well, unless it's a totally open bombable fairway.

If i were you, just play with the stock redboard, i was pretty happy with that. Check out how you swing with it and what flight and roll you're getting with it. Then think lower and with more roll. As for feel, you're on your own as my feel is different to yours.

I had some spare cash so i decide to rehaft with the pype60s and no regrets. I love the look of the whole driver now with it's green/gold tinge and it hits solid.

I am amaze at how far this driver goes even if I put a off kilter high fade that clears the water hazard lake where i play...totally amazing.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

How does the Protopype play like in the L4V I have a 98mph SS and I have hit the VS Proto ByYou 60-S in a D2 and it seems too stiff for me. Or should I just stick with my stock redboard?

hmmh...the pype is stiffer based on the specs i've seen. i had a choice of a pulled proto as well but i decided to still go with the pype.

i have my F speed at 44 1/2 with the pype 60 s and you're about the same SS as me, 98SS but I can crank to 102SS if I have to (rather not cause i get uncontrollable results). well, unless it's a totally open bombable fairway.

If i were you, just play with the stock redboard, i was pretty happy with that. Check out how you swing with it and what flight and roll you're getting with it. Then think lower and with more roll. As for feel, you're on your own as my feel is different to yours.

I had some spare cash so i decide to rehaft with the pype60s and no regrets. I love the look of the whole driver now with it's green/gold tinge and it hits solid.

I am amaze at how far this driver goes even if I put a off kilter high fade that clears the water hazard lake where i play...totally amazing.

I have some extra money laying around and I wanted to play with different shafts but after reading your review I didn't like the feel of the stiffer shaft and I realized that I had an ideal combo right now. I just wanted to see if I could improve it some more.

Thanks for the info.

No probs, that's what forums are all about. I still have my redboard safely stashed away, just in case. Enjoy your L4V :wub:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Quick report from today's round.

FINALLY played my home course with this thing. Usually don't play the back tees as my playing partners generally didn't like to. Not to mention that there are a couple of holes where you really pay if you do! But today I was alone...and went to the tips, and busted out my L4V!

Started a bit slow...was hitting it ok, but a bit too high and it was not going as far as I was expecting. Then I played with the tee height a bit...and BAM! I found the sweet spot and oh boy...how sweet it was!

I began bombing away...going past points I used to drive to from the normal tees! I am still working my way back to a decent game...so my swing is far from being dialed in and today I was probably going after it at about 80-90 percent on most holes. I don't think I dug deep on any of my drives, yet I hit some of the biggest bombs I can remember at this course.

Anyway...I still may play with my shaft combo a bit. The Whiteboard 63X feels great...but I have to tee it lower than normal to get what I think is the ideal ball flight. I am playing it at 44.75" untipped...and want to keep that length i think. So I might give a Pype a run for giggles.

If these are the results I am seeing with my rusty swing...I can only imagine what I will be doing with this club by mid summer!

Fun, fun, FUN!!!!

RIDE

L4VX vs. XCG in REAL WORLD conditions .. 18 holes ... Ummmmm

NO BRAINER !!!!!!!!!!!!

2 fairways missed with L4V - BARELY 2 at that

Sprayed the XCG all over the place (for me - just my opinion) - TOO MUCH fade bias for me - and I like a cut shot

XCG has power BUT NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as L4V on the course

Juuuussstttt my opinion :wub:

Ad pending for an 9* XCG head on BST :yess:

L4VX RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!