2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I don't think he needed numbers to back anything up. He just stated he didn't like the driver, it shouldn't matter why. Those that have read this post since day 1 like me, know better to take advice from someone like this or someone who shows hard data, BUT it shouldn't prevent people from making general comments.

This is a forum, you don't need to justify every comment with hard data- although I agree that it is nice to have. He gave his comment, that should be good enough- no reason to make him feel bad. What's the difference between what he said and someone that just says "this club is a rocket launcher" or "I can't believe how far I smash this!" These people aren't smeared because they gave such a well thought out, data filled review. Right?

And actually, I do like the L4V and since you asked, I personally have had 2 L4V's... One with a Diamana BB shaft and the other with an EPIC. I live in NYC, so don't have a lot of opportunity to get out and play, but I do get to the driving range a lot, so I know from experience where a driver stands based on the range.

For example, at Chelsea Piers here in NYC, the driving range is only 200 yards long. At the end, there is a net about 50 yards tall. There use to be a sign 25 yards up that said "250". With my current driver I can consistently hit 10 yards above where the "250" sign once was (from the bottom ground level). When I get to the course, I typically drive 275- 285 total based on my rangefinder.

No driver, even with aftermarket shafts have been more consistent in dispersion and length than my current set up. The L4's where close, but for ME it didn't work. So there you go, no hard data, but just my personal experiences that work...

You're right, no one need leave hard data if they so choose, but when you drop it on a thread, any thread about a club that so many people have had such great success with a say it was nothing special, I for one want to know why. It doesn't matter where I agree with it, but I like to read both the bad and good. Data certainly helps seperate some of the crap that brand loyalist spread on here.

And no one was trying to make him or yourself feel bad. If that's what you read into my reply you need to grow some thicker skin, because it certainly wasn't.

And as far as his driver, the Orlimar HipTi's are some of the longest out there and the line doesn't often get the respect it deserves. I know a shop owner that won't consider hitting anything else because he thinks it fits him perfectly, so they are solid clubs.

Gonewild,

Don't get too ahead of/ full of yourself. I don't think you hurt any feelings, and this wasn't about you...

ROBOPTI, I dont want to read 70+ pages but I am considering drinking the Kool-Aid and have a quick question. Do I need to get the X head for it to work for me? I have a SS of 120 and balls speeds in the 180's. My current driver is a Rapture 7.5 w/ Bimatrix and I hit it 295+ all day long

Its between this driver and the 9015D....Can you give us some head to head comparisions

1 quick thing .... About the issue of negative reviews etc. kid - Bro - I am sorry - I honestly didnt mean to jump your case. Hey - I was having a lil case of the Mondays. Let me just say this - There have been guys who have posted ON THIS THREAD that "hey - I tried it - just not for me" - and in fairness to myself - If you actually want to read this entire topic - on several occassions - I HAVE posted basically "Hey sorry it didn't work and thanks for the feedback" - I have been posting since I 1st started this it's not and never will be for everyone - I 100000% get that - I absolutely know some will hate it. I will say say there are several OEMs I HATE !!! - will never say a good word about - but I NEVER post it - UNLESS asked. I never go on a thread and just unload - bcuz there will always be a group - no matter how obscure the brand - who will enjoy talking about it - and there is just no need to pee on their parade. I adopt the "If you dont have anything good to say - then say nothing" approach kind of. But I DO like reading the good & bad - we all get to see what didn't work and why - I have NEVER dismissed someone's opinion - and I will let my own posts which can read back that up. It was just the "sounded aweful .... GARBAGE" comment thing that got me. I mean - thats a tad swift - but hey

OLIVE BRANCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... We all know Cobras are loud usually ;)

NYGOLF was right to a degree - I could have worded my response better - LETS START OVER !!!!!!!!

kid ... Give it a chance ... It's pretty good ... Just hit it outside :lol: :lol:

Brando ... Hmmmmm ... well

Coming from a 7.5 Rapture (which is an AWESOME head) / BiMatrix combo - Knowing nothing about your swing - That's a pretty low launching / failrly low spin combo - prob not too low given your speed. But L4 is going to launch higher - so be prepared.

1 thing I have noticed - from MANY MANY people who use / tried the L4 is that the guys with BIG swingspeed - 120+ - they sometimes will notice that the X head will juuuuuussssttttttt slightly leak off to the right at the end of the flight - but I think that is more at longer length combos. That's not to say it won't draw - cuz it does - but I think the extra head weight causes it to just ever so slightly comes thru a tiny but open at impact. And we're talking about a tiny 2-3 yard fade - If ytou like hitting a MONSTER power cut - The 9* X is your head.

If you are OK with seeing a higher ball flight - DEF !!!!!!!!!!! go X ... also given your speed - and assuming your spin rates are damn good with that combo - PLEASE TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!!! - go the shorter / heavier combo route - the 44.50- 44.0 - with an 80-80+gram shaft. The L4 is IMMENSELY more forgiving - it will not be as "workable" as that Rapture - but you will notice it is DUMB easy to hit - and at your speed - It will BOMB !!!!!!!!! ... Just take a look at the BEATDOWN Holmes has been putting on courses lately - Jesus. You will lose NOTHING being a tad shorter - TRUST ME !!!!!!!

FYI - His combo (Holmes) - to the best of my knowledge - Is a plain jane 9* X head - 208 grams - just like all of us -Aldila VooDoo XVS8 (untipped I believe ) at 44.5 - poss 45 - length I am not sure on - but I believe 44.5.

The F would prob draw too much for you and hit a tad too high ... Also - You might like the new S9 coming out soon too ;) ... I could DEF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see you hitting 8.5 L5 with a similiar shaft to yours. That would be killer for a guy from 7.5 Rapture (assuming it is a true loft head).

But for L4 - THE KING of forgivness and firepower - again - just watch a vid of Holmes - or Camillo for that matter - DEF !!! go X

Yell if I can help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and again ... kid .... SORRY !!!!!!!!!! :friends:

Rob,

Nice post. You've done an excellent job, and have been commended for this thread- by GolfWRXers and Cobra. I've read this thing from day 1, and knowing that, assumed you were having an off day.

BUT, I still think its ok for people to say they like AND dislike something. I agree with you that if you're going to absolutely trash a product, without basis, you deserve what you've got coming. In this case I didn't think so. So if I came off harsh, I apologize, I just like hearing both sides of the story.

Happy holidays.

Hey gang,

I am sorry if my initial post caused any friction. I guess I should have realized that a thread of this magnitude is going to have it's devotee's. If I was going to give it a negative response, I probably should have given the L4v a few more swings and paid attention to the numbers on the launch monitor; or at least hit the L4v on at the range or course before leaving a negative comment. Sorry fellas for stirring up the pot. Cheers,

Kid

:drinks:

how does this thing stand in the MOI race, is it as straight as an ft-i or a sumo 5900?

It is a LEGIT 5900 MOI ...

IMO !!!!

STRAIGHTER than FT-I easily ...

5900 Sumo2 MIGHT !!!!!!!!!!! be a tad straighter - It is just crazy straight - My problem with the Sumo2 was that is was very very short for me - I couldnt get it to go anywhere.

The differences would be fractional. I do think the L4 is MUCH !!!!!!! more forgiving than either - whcih is what makes it so much more superior to the other 2. Again - Just my 2 cents

l4v is back in the running, the race was down to 2, now its back up to 3, i think im getting somewhere lol

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

I'm looking for a new driver and read alot about the L4V. Watched JB crack one 362 F****in yds at the shark tourn. (tv) this past weekend. Guy is an animal! I'm not a big hitter but any recommendations for a 90-93 mph ss. I'm a high ball hitter, using the hibore xl 8.5 now. Has anyone played this against an XL Hibore or G10.

Thought I'd try the G10 and L4v on Launch monitor at golfsmiths when I get some time...

Thanks

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

I've only gotten to hit mine twice - it's a Christmas gift, but I was allowed to hit it some to make sure I was pleased with it in case it needed to be exchanged. Hit it once, and it was so straight it looked like it was sliding on a cable. I grinned. Hit it again, and it followed that ball like an instant replay. I giggled. The wife said "that's enough, put it up before the fun wears off." In less than a week I get to see it again :clapping:

For anyone who wants to try the Accuflex Creation shaft in this head 2puttgolf.com has them on sale for $39. I just ordered one and figured Id pass it along. Great price on a former $399 shaft

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 16.5 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Ping G425 19* Hybrid Ventus HB 8

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* Hybrid Ventus HB

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM9 56* M Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5

Srixon ZStar Diamond

Got my X head with a Blueboard 83 stiff tipped 1/2"

I can not hit it left

I am in love.

Funny that you say that, and it means to me that this driver is MAGIC. Mine will not go right on me, just a nice subtle draw... Could this club be a universal fix for all? More Kool-Aid please.

Gotta love this thing.

I'm looking for a new driver and read alot about the L4V. Watched JB crack one 362 F****in yds at the shark tourn. (tv) this past weekend. Guy is an animal! I'm not a big hitter but any recommendations for a 90-93 mph ss. I'm a high ball hitter, using the hibore xl 8.5 now. Has anyone played this against an XL Hibore or G10.

Thought I'd try the G10 and L4v on Launch monitor at golfsmiths when I get some time...

Thanks

I LOVE the HiBore XL. It will hit longer than the L4VX, slightly longer (my opinion and swing of course), but as forgiving as it is, it is still not as guaranteed as the L4V. They're both at the top though, gotta try them out. I bought my Cobra used with an upgraded shaft though. The stock shaft is supposed to be spinny and high, so you may not like that.

Thanks

I LOVE the HiBore XL. It will hit longer than the L4VX, slightly longer (my opinion and swing of course), but as forgiving as it is, it is still not as guaranteed as the L4V. They're both at the top though, gotta try them out. I bought my Cobra used with an upgraded shaft though. The stock shaft is supposed to be spinny and high, so you may not like that.

Amazing thread ...still.

I am going to politely disagree about the Hibore XL. I came from a Hibore XL-Diamana blue combo to my currrent one. The slightly shorter, heavier shaft combo in the Cobra head vs the Hibore set up is no contest for me. I am significantly longer, and just as straight. Love the Cleveland, played it a long time but the Cobra is better (for my swing)

A little help would be appreciated here. I am a low ball (EXTREME) low ball hitter. Distances will rival anyones, I am sure. I have tried the L4V a couple of times and without a 11* or more offering, it's hard for me to get it up!(my wife will disagree!!) Any combo's out there that have helped the low ball guys that get the SS over 120? I want to put this in my bag but have struggled to find the right head with enough loft or the right shaft to KICK it that much more in the air. HELP!!!!!!! anyone????

The L4V is extremely high launching. If you swing 120mph and can't get the 10° in the air, then you have a swing flaw. I don't swing quite that hard, and I couldn't keep the 9° X in the atmosphere. You could always try the 12°, but it is closed.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Now you may call it a "flaw", but is it a "flaw", if I never get outdriven? :yahoo:

I know i have a steep angle of attack, puttting alot of spin on the ball and delofting the crap out of the club. I move it forward and the ball goes all over the place.

I can swing softer and get the desired flight,(and loss of distance) but WHO THE HELL WANTS TO SWING SOFTER!!!!! ;) Flaw or not, What's the highest measured loft you guys have seen on a 10* X? Anyone?

The X only comes in a 9° unfortunately. The F is pretty square, and if you got a 10° you shouldn't have any trouble finding one in a higher loft. NJgolfman.com (sponsor here) is selling them on the cheap right now too. It is fun to hit, and if you struggle with accuracy and consistency, this club might be great for you. One warning though, at that SS the driver will blow your ears out LOL.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

The X only comes in a 9° unfortunately. The F is pretty square, and if you got a 10° you shouldn't have any trouble finding one in a higher loft. NJgolfman.com (sponsor here) is selling them on the cheap right now too. It is fun to hit, and if you struggle with accuracy and consistency, this club might be great for you. One warning though, at that SS the driver will blow your ears out LOL.

I have earplugs as most of you do!!! I know the stamped lofts and the "actual lofts" vary. Has anyone had theirs measured? Hell, i had a 10.5* Burner measure 13* at the store. Or, is it possible to have these bent?

Robo might be able to chime in on customizing............

Now you may call it a "flaw", but is it a "flaw", if I never get outdriven? :yahoo:

I know i have a steep angle of attack, puttting alot of spin on the ball and delofting the crap out of the club. I move it forward and the ball goes all over the place.

I can swing softer and get the desired flight,(and loss of distance) but WHO THE HELL WANTS TO SWING SOFTER!!!!! ;) Flaw or not, What's the highest measured loft you guys have seen on a 10* X? Anyone?

seems to me if you are coming in steep and putting alot of spin on the ball, you should be ballooning, not outdriving.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

seems to me if you are coming in steep and putting alot of spin on the ball, you should be ballooning, not outdriving.

Maybe I used the wrong terminology there. My hands tend to stay way in front. I guess i just de-loft the club. I had some LM #'s taken and with my 10.5* TEE, I was averaging about 7*. Carry 270-280ish . I obviously get a tremendous amount of roll.

What is the difference between the X & F? I know the X is for the higher swing speed but beyond that, is the makeup of the club that different? Or is it just the degree of loft that puts you in the next category?

I think there are enough comments on this topic alone that say there are a ton of F's that are not closed but square. The only difference I have seen (hit and owned both. Is that the internal weighting helps the F draw a little easier where the x does not want to go left very much (This is testing both 9* heads with the same shaft) And the both looked square to my eye

Try the 9 or 10 out, L4V is extremely high launching

I hit my 44.5" BB 83 stiff tipped 1/2" L4V 9* higher than my 9.5 MP-600 (redboard) or my 10.5 FT-5 (Xcon-6)

Interesting comment. I've put away my L4v-F and replaced it with a Sumo5k. I had the 9* cobra and my Nike is 11.5*. The L4 launches a lot higher than the Nike or any other driver I have. Currently the Cobra has a 661tr but I think I'm going to have the protopype put back in this week. The Nike has a UST V2 and it shots darts. Think I've got something wrong with my hands at impact. The Cobra is MUCH longer than the Nike but I'm pulling the heck out of the Cobra. Not sure what has happened - I'm assuming it's mechanics - but I just can't hit the Cobra anymore. I really miss the distance the Cobra used to give me but that distance is a scorecard killer when the balls not in the fairway...

Hey guys, after reading some of the posts in this mile long topic I made the jump and purchased an L4V, I got an F in 10 degrees of loft. I got it off the Bay for $90 with a ProLaunch Blue in it, brand spanking new. I have played Grafalloy shafts in most of my drivers, especially the PL Blue, so I am excited about getting it.

Anybody have any experience with the L4V and the PL Blue?

I am jumping back on board...I have tried a bunch of drivers this year and the L4V was the most consistent for me, don't know that it was the longest...but I hit the most fairways with it. So I just purchased a 10*F head and will be putting a 63s Blueboard in it.

Will be trying a 909 DComp at some point but need the price to come down a bit...

So I am back in the Kool-Aid brigade.