Scotland Trip Itinerary, Reviews and Pictures

gaffs

> @gaffs said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @gaffs said:

> > > > @scott_Donald said:

> > > > if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

> > >

> > > I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

> >

> > Easily. At 8am you will whip around RA to the point you could be at Cruden Bay before noon. You could easily move Cruden to 1pm and be under no pressure to get there in time. Even at 2pm that gives you 4 and bit hours of light, take a look at this sight for a good idea of daylight availability: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/Golf/

> >

> > BTW I had an 8am time in May and got around in 2.5hrs and that was with pic taking and general gawking at how brilliant a course it is. Even d i c k ing about and say 3hrs, that's you in the car by 11:15 and without roadworks stepping into the CB proshop on the stroke of 12 noon :-)

>

> MIND BLOWN

> Im from England but have lived in NYC and now NJ for the past 6 years. We do very well to get a round under 4.30.

> What do ppl usually get round the Old Course in?

Ah OK gotcha. Ya here in the Bay Area - unless you start early - you don't see sub 4hr rounds either. Just as a single - driving the ball well - with holes laid out cheek by jowl, it's easy to scoot around as the first person out, which 8am will be unless some members went out earlier.

At TOC the caddies act as caddie/marshals and try and keep the pace up, but as you can imagine, if you are going to play a 4:30-5hr round in Scotland it will be midday at TOC. With so many tourist golfers playing and shared greens/fairways it can feel much more North American in pace.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > MIND BLOWN

> > Im from England but have lived in NYC and now NJ for the past 6 years. We do very well to get a round under 4.30.

> > What do ppl usually get round the Old Course in?

>

> Ah OK gotcha. Ya here in the Bay Area - unless you start early - you don't see sub 4hr rounds either. Just as a single - driving the ball well - with holes laid out cheek by jowl, it's easy to scoot around as the first person out, which 8am will be unless some members went out earlier.

>

> At TOC the caddies act as caddie/marshals and try and keep the pace up, but as you can imagine, if you are going to play a 4:30-5hr round in Scotland it will be midday at TOC. With so many tourist golfers playing and shared greens/fairways it can feel much more North American in pace.

As I remember, we played the Old Course in just about 4 hours, and that's the pace they insist on. You can see a copy of the scorecard here:

https://www.standrewsgolftravel.com/old-course-scorecard/4592945824

which lists the MAXIMUM time you should complete each hole. The caddies can actually become fairly insistent (pushy?) if a group begins to fall behind the group in front.

@gaffs asking this reminds me of my visit to Royal Dornoch a few years back. We had played at 10 AM, in well under 4 hours as a fourball. My group had been in the country for a week at this time, and had become happily accustomed to the normal pace of play, 3-1/2 hours being very common. We asked about playing again, and made a tee time for 4 PM that afternoon. Being absolutely certain that we'd be done in plenty of time, we made dinner reservations for 8 PM in the clubhouse restaurant. Imagine our chagrin when we actually took FOUR ENTIRE HOURS to play behind a group of tourists. You'll find that you'll quickly become accustomed to a pleasantly prompt pace of play.

> @gaffs said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @gaffs said:

> > > > @scott_Donald said:

> > > > if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

> > >

> > > I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

> >

> > Easily. At 8am you will whip around RA to the point you could be at Cruden Bay before noon. You could easily move Cruden to 1pm and be under no pressure to get there in time. Even at 2pm that gives you 4 and bit hours of light, take a look at this sight for a good idea of daylight availability: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/Golf/

> >

> > BTW I had an 8am time in May and got around in 2.5hrs and that was with pic taking and general gawking at how brilliant a course it is. Even d i c k ing about and say 3hrs, that's you in the car by 11:15 and without roadworks stepping into the CB proshop on the stroke of 12 noon :-)

>

> MIND BLOWN

> Im from England but have lived in NYC and now NJ for the past 6 years. We do very well to get a round under 4.30.

> What do ppl usually get round the Old Course in?

Last year I was first out at 6.30am and we went round in no time at all- we were done by 10am. I had the highest handicap of 8 at the time so we didn't take too many shots between us! I really enjoyed the swift pace of play it's about what I'm used to at home (north west England). In our Saturday competitions, it's unusual for us to go round in more than 3h45. We play in 3balls so gets us round quickly. Tee slots are every 7 1/2 minutes.

> @davep043 said:

>

>

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @gaffs said:

> > > MIND BLOWN

> > > Im from England but have lived in NYC and now NJ for the past 6 years. We do very well to get a round under 4.30.

> > > What do ppl usually get round the Old Course in?

> >

> > Ah OK gotcha. Ya here in the Bay Area - unless you start early - you don't see sub 4hr rounds either. Just as a single - driving the ball well - with holes laid out cheek by jowl, it's easy to scoot around as the first person out, which 8am will be unless some members went out earlier.

> >

> > At TOC the caddies act as caddie/marshals and try and keep the pace up, but as you can imagine, if you are going to play a 4:30-5hr round in Scotland it will be midday at TOC. With so many tourist golfers playing and shared greens/fairways it can feel much more North American in pace.

> As I remember, we played the Old Course in just about 4 hours, and that's the pace they insist on. You can see a copy of the scorecard here:

> https://www.standrewsgolftravel.com/old-course-scorecard/4592945824

> which lists the MAXIMUM time you should complete each hole. The caddies can actually become fairly insistent (pushy?) if a group begins to fall behind the group in front.

> @gaffs asking this reminds me of my visit to Royal Dornoch a few years back. We had played at 10 AM, in well under 4 hours as a fourball. My group had been in the country for a week at this time, and had become happily accustomed to the normal pace of play, 3-1/2 hours being very common. We asked about playing again, and made a tee time for 4 PM that afternoon. Being absolutely certain that we'd be done in plenty of time, we made dinner reservations for 8 PM in the clubhouse restaurant. Imagine our chagrin when we actually took FOUR ENTIRE HOURS to play behind a group of tourists. You'll find that you'll quickly become accustomed to a pleasantly prompt pace of play.

A pair of us and two singles were playing TOC one morning and one of the chaps - who wasn't a bad player - was a stereotypical North American paced guy and he simply doddled. To the point on the 11th tee, after we teed off and the caddies and marshal had a huddle, the marshal held him back as we started walking to the green and he was given a stern talking to about his pace.

And good point Dave about their stated pace - my 5 maybe a gross exageration :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What is it about American golf that makes for such so play? For me, most slow play is due to bad players hacking it around, but there are bad players on each side of the pond.

It does piss me off when players are not ready to hit when its their turn. They may be still picking a club, measuring the distance with their range finder, or taking more practice swings.

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

> @gaffs said:

> What is it about American golf that makes for such so play? For me, most slow play is due to bad players hacking it around, but there are bad players on each side of the pond.

There are lots and lots of slow play threads, we shouldn't get that same conversation started here. I did notice one thing last summer, when we played some of the lesser known courses in Scotland. Watching the local players, I was surprised at how seldom they marked and lifted their ball on the putting green, as compared to what I see from Americans. Its not like the ball ever had mud or schmutz on it, the turf was so firm and tight that was never an issue. Its a little thing, but a way to seem a bit less of a tourist.

> @davep043 said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > What is it about American golf that makes for such so play? For me, most slow play is due to bad players hacking it around, but there are bad players on each side of the pond.

> There are lots and lots of slow play threads, we shouldn't get that same conversation started here. I did notice one thing last summer, when we played some of the lesser known courses in Scotland. Watching the local players, I was surprised at how seldom they marked and lifted their ball on the putting green, as compared to what I see from Americans. Its not like the ball ever had mud or schmutz on it, the turf was so firm and tight that was never an issue. Its a little thing, but a way to seem a bit less of a tourist.

>

>

Agree, let’s not turn this into a slow play thread.

I best learn to put without a sharpie line then ! Lol

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @gaffs said:

I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

I teed off at Royal Aberdeen at 1430 on Wednesday and was let though 2 groups and played a round in 2 hours 45 minutes, 77 with one lost ball on the 16, should have done my usual 4 iron but was into a 20mph wind off the left and tried to punch a very low 2 iron into the gorse.

Cruden Bay is shorter, if you know where you are going and it is not busy you can easy get round in under 3 hours.

I played the Old course last Saturday teeing off at 1240 and was done at 1630, a drink in the New Club house than home. great day.

Shame I am not in Aberdeen as could have played with you and saved you a lot of money.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Played the Old last summer, brisk Friday morning 7:30, 4 caddies for our 4 ball, magnificent round. Patrick Rogers in the group ahead of us but pace was no issue. At one point our caddies barking at him for winding up in the bunker near 10th green, lots of laughs. As for OP, not sure if landing and driving north for an afternoon Jubliee or Kingsbarns is an option, but you can't go wrong there.

Before you try the New or Jubilee on your arrival day, you may want to take a few minutes to check at The Old Course. I have gone to the TOC "clubhouse" on several occasions and gotten out within an hour, even in June. If it doesn't pan out, it is only a 5 minute walk to the New and Jubilee (and less if the Old Course staff takes you over in a golf cart). Good luck!

> @doglegs said:

> Played the Old last summer, brisk Friday morning 7:30, 4 caddies for our 4 ball, magnificent round. Patrick Rogers in the group ahead of us but pace was no issue. At one point our caddies barking at him for winding up in the bunker near 10th green, lots of laughs. As for OP, not sure if landing and driving north for an afternoon Jubliee or Kingsbarns is an option, but you can't go wrong there.

Kingsbarns is very tempting, but its the £288 green fee that makes it hard to swallow. Looking at their website, it will be £312 next year - gulp!

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @gaffs said:

> I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

>

> I teed off at Royal Aberdeen at 1430 on Wednesday and was let though 2 groups and played a round in 2 hours 45 minutes, 77 with one lost ball on the 16, should have done my usual 4 iron but was into a 20mph wind off the left and tried to punch a very low 2 iron into the gorse.

>

> Cruden Bay is shorter, if you know where you are going and it is not busy you can easy get round in under 3 hours.

>

> I played the Old course last Saturday teeing off at 1240 and was done at 1630, a drink in the New Club house than home. great day.

>

> Shame I am not in Aberdeen as could have played with you and saved you a lot of money.

I'll take you up if there's offer next year when you're back in UK, and my golfing budget has been replenished!

> @jonnymc44 said:

> I'll take you up if there's offer next year when you're back in UK, and my golfing budget has been replenished!

If I am back. Still not figured out next year past heading home for Christmas. Normally do a round on December 26th so will get one more round this year at least.

I do need to beat my dad for rounds though - got 32(beat him) on the course this year and a fair bit of practice. He is injured and just looking to be fit for the R and A match in 2 weeks.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @jonnymc44 said:

> > I'll take you up if there's offer next year when you're back in UK, and my golfing budget has been replenished!

>

> If I am back. Still not figured out next year past heading home for Christmas. Normally do a round on December 26th so will get one more round this year at least.

> I do need to beat my dad for rounds though - got 32(beat him) on the course this year and a fair bit of practice. He is injured and just looking to be fit for the R and A match in 2 weeks.

>

I travel up and down to the Highlands quite a lot visiting in-laws, and potentially moving to Edinburgh in the next year or so, so there will be plenty of time to get a round in at RA! Once you know your schedule send me a DM. Hopefully your dad is fit in 2 week's time. 32 is pretty decent this year though! I'm only on 25. My golfing calendar is May - September with a bit of practice through winter. Can't beat the unpredictability of UK weather!

> @jonnymc44 said:

> I travel up and down to the Highlands quite a lot visiting in-laws, and potentially moving to Edinburgh in the next year or so, so there will be plenty of time to get a round in at RA! Once you know your schedule send me a DM. Hopefully your dad is fit in 2 week's time. 32 is pretty decent this year though! I'm only on 25. My golfing calendar is May - September with a bit of practice through winter. Can't beat the unpredictability of UK weather!

>

Will do. My flights are return from Uk so only one booked is home at Christmas.

I have played a fair amount here too, did take a month off playing and just practice but probably 20 rounds here too, playing 2 times this week.

Looking at the weather the courses in Scotland it could be good for a few more weeks now. RA main course is closed for the week for winter prep on October 21, so that would be the end for me if I was home properly.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

In Scottish roads parlance, today is the first day of 'winter' ;-)

So of course that means it's time again to follow the adventures of Grittie McVittie, Sir Salter Scott, and the rest of them.

Kidding aside, first 1/2 of Oct you should be grand still

t67tzg7vqlut.png

F.T.

Updated my itinerary. Playing.....

Carnoustie

Old Course (Singles Line)

Royal Aberdeen

Cruden Bay

Castle Stuart

Nairn

Royal Dornoch

Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @gaffs said:

>

> Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

I believe it was suggest earlier, but Crail would be a good start. The Balcomie Links, not the new course.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @jvincent said:

> > @gaffs said:

> >

> > Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

>

> I believe it was suggest earlier, but Crail would be a good start. The Balcomie Links, not the new course.

>

>

Crail Balcomie is indeed a lovely course, and not excessively challenging after an overnight flight. However, it appears that the tee times before 3 PM are reserved for members. You might be able to make a phone call and arrange something earlier, I just don't know. For me, I'd rather settle into my lodging as quickly as possible, and not get back into a car to get to Crail, which is why I suggested playing one of the courses right in town.

> @davep043 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > > @gaffs said:

> > >

> > > Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

> >

> > I believe it was suggest earlier, but Crail would be a good start. The Balcomie Links, not the new course.

> >

> >

>

> Crail Balcomie is indeed a lovely course, and not excessively challenging after an overnight flight. However, it appears that the tee times before 3 PM are reserved for members. You might be able to make a phone call and arrange something earlier, I just don't know. For me, I'd rather settle into my lodging as quickly as possible, and not get back into a car to get to Crail, which is why I suggested playing one of the courses right in town.

> @jvincent said:

> > @gaffs said:

> >

> > Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

>

> I believe it was suggest earlier, but Crail would be a good start. The Balcomie Links, not the new course.

>

>

> @HuskerFlyer said:

> North Berwick was my favorite course of our Scotland trip.

I called Crail earlier and they have a comp on.

Desperate to play North Berwick, but Saturday is members only.

Will probably go for Elie or Kingsbarns.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Whatever you end up playing you've already got a top notch lineup. Have fun and good weather wishes your way.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @gaffs said:

> Updated my itinerary. Playing.....

>

> Carnoustie

> Old Course (Singles Line)

> Royal Aberdeen

> Cruden Bay

> Castle Stuart

> Nairn

> Royal Dornoch

>

> Still looking for somewhere to play on the Saturday afternoon after landing at Edinburgh at 8am.

Combo of quality and practicality, it really has to be Elie.

They even have a 13:00-something opening on Saturday. Gives you time to stop by Tescos and load up on supplies, do a bit of touristing, and even catch a quick nap ;-)

F.T.

Completed my line up. Thanks for everyones help. In the end i went for Kingsbarns over Elie. I figure that next year i may go with friends who probably wont pay the green fee at Kingsbarns, so this may be my only chance to play there.

Thanks again for everyones tips. I will post daily pics on the thread for you to drool over! :-)

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

looking forward to see the pics and your thoughts.

have fun!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Fantastic first day in Scotland. Played Kingsbarns, teeing off 4 hours after landing in Edinburgh.The moment you take a peep at the 18th green, round the side of the club house, you know it’s going to be a fantastic day. Any thoughts of the steep green fee quickly evaporate. All the staff were so friendly and welcoming.

As for the course, it’s magnificent. I can’t remember playing a round where I smiled and giggled so much - it makes you thankful to be alive - maybe that’s the jet lag talking? The weather was perfect, blue skies for most of the round and when the sun shines on the fairways, Kingsbarns really comes alive. From every hole, you have a view of the dark, moody, North Sea. The fairways are pristine, firm and fast. I couldn’t believe how far my drives were running out. I started off on the white tees but moved back as I was getting almost too close the the green on 1 and 4.

The rolling fairways and tall dunes, I have never seen terrain like it. It felt other worldly. I loved the section of the back 9 where you play through a small forest.

So many highlight holes. 15 is the coastline par 3, it’s a fair whack at 195 yards. The third hole, a 500+ par 5 that hugs the coastline was breathtaking. As was number 12, as par 5 that loosely resembles 18 at Pebble.

Anyway, tapping away on my phone so will keep it brief. Enjoy the pics.qwzttg23sghe.jpeg

5zn74nda6tfw.jpeg

0azykz0i9gqf.jpeg

ufzv72nyrj6b.jpeg

u7qv8ssgp494.jpeg

j0k4pmb9biqa.jpeg

84edhy05aygx.jpeg

wdin51ndi3ij.jpeg

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

brilliant pics, seems a perfect day for golf!

Funny thing is everything is soft and green this year compared to a normal year and especially since last year where everything was burnt to a crisp. Lots of clubs had to invest money for extra sprinklers on their courses this year, from fairways to greens etc.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Day two at Carnoustie. For the past week, today has been forecast for rain and high winds, so I had not been especially looking forward to this round. But I lucked out, big time. The wind was still for the first 13 holes, not a drop of rain until I drove out of the car park and the sun even nearly peaked through.

Again, a fantastic course and I played great - shot a 75, one of my best three rounds of the season. Birdie on Hogans Alley was a highlight, but I didn’t know until I walked off the hole it was actually a par 5!

Obviously, it would have been a different story had it blown a gale.

This may be controversial, but I found the course pretty straight forward. No caddy or prior experience of Carnoustie in our group, so it was a case of studying the yardage book on each tee.

I didn’t feel there were many very memorable holes. 17 and 18 would be the exception with the Barry Burn coming into play. As was 16, the 250 yard par 3, but not for the right reasons!

It’s a fantastic course, no doubt, but maybe i have been a little spoiled by the Kingsbarns, which has the wow factor.

Give me a follow on Instagram @gaffs where I’m posting pics in my story.

i4ehewb9bwq8.jpeg

qb4b7171w5ul.jpeg

omys90h84x8c.jpeg

• Like 1

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.