New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

7 hours ago, ephmen said:

looking for outdoor on the range mostly.

@Dan13’s simplified answer and follow up should help you. The Mevo+ works well outdoors if you have the space. The ranges I frequent have plenty of room behind the mat for me to setup. But I have been to some ranges that don’t have much room and that can cause accuracy concerns.

This decision is more than likely going to come down to radar vs. camera monitors rather than specific brands and models. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, foreright0828 said:

If you use mevo+ on grass do you have to keep adjusting the depth as your ball placement moves due to divot? 

Sounds like "depth" here must refer to the 8 feet behind the ball that the Mevo is placed. I have no idea how much the accuracy is affected by having that 8 feet vary. I've never attempted to test it by varying it. I also don't know how far off the center line (laterally) the Mevo can pick up the ball, but that one is apparently relatively wide, as I think that's how it measures putts.  But, again, I haven't tested it and have seldom used if for putting, and don't use for simulation play.

The few times we've used it at grass driving ranges, we've always used tees. I set up several "reference" tees so that we can get consistent ball positioning when the tee is knocked out of the ground. We've learned that the hole for said tee becomes less "tight" as time goes by and that adding a bit of dirt and "stomping" it down can make for some new "tightness".  Oh, and if you get back a bit and compare the ball height relative to the top of the nearby grass, you find that you're likely lower after a while (and maybe significantly so) than when you started.  You can ended up with a *lot* of tee "stem" showing.  It's not an optimal situation in my eyes. For folks who can control which specific groove will strike the center of the ball, probably no big deal.  We've not reached that level. 🙂 

My opinion would be that using the Mevo for turf strikes is impractical. The Mevo seems highly dependent upon accurate setup, so if you were to move it and re-calibrate it after every few divots, you'd require far more patience than I'd ever be able to bring to bear.

The Mevo Plus has a hitting area of about a 8 inch circle (4inch radius). It’s on the setup verification screen. It will actually pick up the ball pretty far outside of this range but I suspect the further away from the middle of the circle you get the more some data will be affected (low point, path). 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dan13 said:

The Mevo Plus has a hitting area of about a 8 inch circle (4inch radius). It’s on the setup verification screen. It will actually pick up the ball pretty far outside of this range but I suspect the further away from the middle of the circle you get the more some data will be affected (low point, path). 

I'm pretty sure the hitting area is much bigger than an 8" circle. The setup verification screen shows the center as a black circle within a much larger circle. Using the carls 4x9 mat with the 12"x30" hitting strip, I can hit all over the hitting strip and it shows inside the big circle from front to back in relation the black circle, but it picks up the same with no drop in any of the data that I have found.

• Like 3

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

• 1 month later...

Have you tested new launch optimizer?

I tried it today and noticed that it is more a maximum distance optimizer. It won`t optimize ideal launch and spin for example 6 iron. It just optimize maximum carry or total distance at your club/ball speed which leads really low spin and high launch angle. So it is not optimal to stopping the ball to green or any other situation than max distance.

What are your experiences or can you somehow adjust needed parametres?

Only had one session so far, but it’s saying that some of my irons are spinning too high. I don’t really feel like it’s a problem on the course.

But I do know I’m playing game improvement Mizuno JPX921’s (non pro) with jacked lofts and low spin and have had problems before with holding greens if I’m not getting enough height. I can imagine less spin giving me more distance, but even more trouble holding greens. 

It’s pretty interesting, but haven’t played around too much with it. I’ll work on my longer clubs today and see what it looks like. 

Edited by absoludicrous
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DrShaftE said:

I tried it today and noticed that it is more a maximum distance optimizer. It won`t optimize ideal launch and spin for example 6 iron. It just optimize maximum carry or total distance at your club/ball speed which leads really low spin and high launch angle. So it is not optimal to stopping the ball to green or any other situation than max distance.

Agree that it is optimized for distance. You can toggle between carry and total to get an idea of the roll out based on the surface (soft, medium, hard) and trajectory (low, medium, high). 

If you know where you want your spin numbers then you can optimize realistic “green holding distance” and ignore their optimized number.  They really need to include descent angle and roll out. 

• Like 1

I played around with it today and like @Dan13 mentioned, those toggles can change some of the numbers around.

One thing I realized is that I use this both at home into a net and on the range. I don’t believe my range uses distance limiting balls, but they definitely are not the best quality balls and some are worn and old, while some are brand new. The quality of these balls were going to give me some weird spin numbers in addition to me hitting off mats since we don’t have grass as an option post COVID. The optimizer may not be very helpful with spin unless I’m using my gamer ball.

I tested out my Gap wedge, 7i, 9i, 3HL, and Driver. It was pretty consistent throughout all clubs in that my spin is too high with all clubs and my distance would be optimized if I could reduce it.

My 3HL and Driver was launching a little lower until I figured something in my swing that I corrected. It complained my average numbers with those clubs were too low, which I agree with. Once I figured out my issue, I was getting much higher ball flight and longer carry, so it makes perfect sense.  

I think this flight optimizer would be helpful for someone who doesn’t really know how to get more distance with their current setup and swing. But we are on GolfWRX and I don’t think there are many on here that don’t understand that. Especially in the Launch Monitor section lol. But if there are people out there looking for help, I would take a look at the numbers and use that as a starting point to see whether or not you could improve distance by following their recommendations.

I do like the range/window they give you and my numbers weren’t incredibly outside of optimized numbers, but I’ll try again later with my regular ball to see what it recommends.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:37 AM, absoludicrous said:

I played around with it today and like @Dan13 mentioned, those toggles can change some of the numbers around.

One thing I realized is that I use this both at home into a net and on the range. I don’t believe my range uses distance limiting balls, but they definitely are not the best quality balls and some are worn and old, while some are brand new. The quality of these balls were going to give me some weird spin numbers in addition to me hitting off mats since we don’t have grass as an option post COVID. The optimizer may not be very helpful with spin unless I’m using my gamer ball.

I tested out my Gap wedge, 7i, 9i, 3HL, and Driver. It was pretty consistent throughout all clubs in that my spin is too high with all clubs and my distance would be optimized if I could reduce it.

My 3HL and Driver was launching a little lower until I figured something in my swing that I corrected. It complained my average numbers with those clubs were too low, which I agree with. Once I figured out my issue, I was getting much higher ball flight and longer carry, so it makes perfect sense.  

I think this flight optimizer would be helpful for someone who doesn’t really know how to get more distance with their current setup and swing. But we are on GolfWRX and I don’t think there are many on here that don’t understand that. Especially in the Launch Monitor section lol. But if there are people out there looking for help, I would take a look at the numbers and use that as a starting point to see whether or not you could improve distance by following their recommendations.

I do like the range/window they give you and my numbers weren’t incredibly outside of optimized numbers, but I’ll try again later with my regular ball to see what it recommends.

I agree, but I can not see any situation where Driver launch should be optimized 18 degr. launch and 1300 rpm spin like optimizer suggest with mid trajectory and mid surface hardness (113 CS, 12,5 launch and 2350 spin). 🤔

I have used Trackman optimizer couple years back and I think it takes CS, launch, carry etc. in consideration and show if are all in correct window. If spin is too low for 7 iron it show that spin should be higher and in some window. It not suggest to make 7 iron a ultimate distance club. I believe that it rather compare values to PGA Tour average.

Edited by DrShaftE

On 4/10/2024 at 5:13 AM, DrShaftE said:

Is this a new update? 

Kirkland V2 Wedges

Just now, DrShaftE said:

Yes, new FS Golf update. Launch/enviromental optimizer included Pro package/existing pro package users. It is a new tile in mode selection. Not a active optimizer but compariring hit craps to ”ideal” carry/launch conditions.

Ok, good deal. I thought I had missed one. I have it but I have not used it yet. I'll give it a whirl Monday (working all weekend). Thanks for the info!

Kirkland V2 Wedges