2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stuart, FL

tmurphy686

On 1/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, golfortennis said:

So it's interesting at PGA Village.  I wonder if they still know what they want to do.  Before they sold what is now St Lucie Trail, that was the member's private course.  Then they had blocked tee times on a course at the 3.  Then they decided to push membership harder, make the three at PGAV the focus.  So now there is one course that is "resort" course for the day, and the other two are members only.  Except that they usually host a boat load of PGA sanctioned tournaments, which is fine since the resort course remains, oops, sorry.  No public play those days.  Add to that the fact they sold the learning center, which, if I had paid initiation prior to that I would have been royally peeved.  If you had never practiced there, you wouldn't know it, but as a benefit of your membership, it was an incredible facility. 

Now that the PGA oA is moving their stuff to Texas, you have to wonder what the future holds for that place.  Are they still going to keep it as part of their for-profit arm? 

What is really strange is they always hold tournaments on the Wanamaker, which I don't understand.  I'd play the Dye course, and use the various tees.  It can play very long, but there can be a lot of options.  Ryder course is the easiest one, and everyone I've ever been paired with, except for one guy, has said that one is their favorite.  The one guy was a multi-time US Amateur qualifier who had a very different perspective. 

I know a couple members used to be on here but not sure if they are still active who might be able to fill in on what the future may hold.

I was doing search and happened on this thread. We are members and have a place down there, although we haven't been since last February with the pandemic. We were offered and took a membership upgrade last spring. No increase in deposit for unlimited afternoon play vs a total of 25 rounds a year before. Plus other goodies.They are suppose to build a practice facility using part of hole 10 on Ryder, converting it to a par 3 to replace the amazing facility they used to train PGA pros. We've now both retired early and plan on spending a lot more time down there. Love the courses and all the people who work there. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. They have a fun 9 hole short game area that Pete Dye designed. We were told there would be more of an emphasis on membership and based on the comments I guess they are. Courses around here suck...except Pine Valley and Merion. God I miss St. Lucie.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, jmtbkr said:

Lost Lakes

Florida Club

Hammock Creek

Champions Club at Summerfield

Palm Cove golf and yacht club

All within 10-15 minutes of H.I.

Champions Club is awful.

Palm Cove is awful.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:30 AM, golfortennis said:

How so?  Not arguing, just curious why you say that.

Champions Club is not taken care of at all.  Much Better options in the area.  The course could be spectacular, but they have serious drainage issues that effect play during rainy season.  Greens are just ok.  Facility itself kind of dumpy.

Palm Cove just isn't a great course and the lay out isn't great.  Very tight course that anyone driving it over 250 are going to very seldom pull driver out of the bag.   The track itself just isn't very good.  Better options in the area.  Course is kind of Dumpy.

There are some great courses on the Treasure Coast and in the area.  Just not these two.  In the Stuart area Willoughby, Piper's Landing, Monarch, and several others are better options in that area if you can get on.

11 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Champions Club is not taken care of at all.  Much Better options in the area.  The course could be spectacular, but they have serious drainage issues that effect play during rainy season.  Greens are just ok.  Facility itself kind of dumpy.

Palm Cove just isn't a great course and the lay out isn't great.  Very tight course that anyone driving it over 250 are going to very seldom pull driver out of the bag.   The track itself just isn't very good.  Better options in the area.  Course is kind of Dumpy.

There are some great courses on the Treasure Coast and in the area.  Just not these two.  In the Stuart area Willoughby, Piper's Landing, Monarch, and several others are better options in that area if you can get on.

I agree re: Champions Club. It’s a fun layout and pace is usually decent, but I’ve gotten to the point that I won’t play it after it rains. The drainage is awful. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jpt1101 said:

I agree re: Champions Club. It’s a fun layout and pace is usually decent, but I’ve gotten to the point that I won’t play it after it rains. The drainage is awful. 

There is a SFPGA Junior tournament coming up there.  Asked my kid if he wanted to play and the answer was "No".  Asked why and he said "If it rains it will be awful and the course isn't kept well enough to want to play there."

• 1 month later...

The Florida Club is certainly worth playing, right off 95. It is in great shape now, believe they just closed for some summer work but think only for a week. A couple quirky holes but overall lots of character and surprisingly contoured greens. The only issue I have heard is it does not drain well.  

Trying Lost Lake sometime soon, nearby buddy plays out of there.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:57 PM, birdiebarrage said:

The Florida Club is certainly worth playing, right off 95. It is in great shape now, believe they just closed for some summer work but think only for a week. A couple quirky holes but overall lots of character and surprisingly contoured greens. The only issue I have heard is it does not drain well.  

Trying Lost Lake sometime soon, nearby buddy plays out of there.

Lost Lake is just ok.  People outside of membership refer to it as Lost Ball Golf Club because there is water in play EVERYWHERE.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 9:12 AM, FLGOLFJUNKIE said:

Go play Fox Club, I'm surprised no one mentions this one. It's one of the toughest golf courses I've played (ever) but it's definitely a beautiful track and has a lot of character. Between that one, Florida Club and Hammock Creek I'm a happy guy. 

18 is a bit quirky, but it is a decent course.  Not sure I'll go as far as you but that could be because it was foggy first thing in the morning when I played it. 

Fox Club is ok. Some amazing holes and some forgettable fit-in-the-land type holes. I took my buddy that was visiting from N.Carolina. I sell it as "experimental design" and he knew what he was getting into. Darren Clarke was there with his helicopter on the back of the driving range. I played behind Tim Heron the 1st time there.

There's a few holes I am not a fan of, the par 5 with the vine bridge (8). The narrow/short one near the toilets (6.)

I'd go to Florida Club for the consistent pristine conditions...but I appreciate the Fox Club for what it is. Fun, different, true test.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 10:12 AM, heavy_hitter said:

Is Piper's Landing that good?  Worth the effort to get on?  

15 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Is Piper's Landing that good?  Worth the effort to get on?  

Two Courses and they are both pretty good.

Club Med at Sandpiper Bay was just renovated and all 18 open this Friday.  Re-branded as the Trident.  The course is a really fun track.  It just has always been a dump with sand as greens.  I am excited to see what they have done to it because from a fun factor, it is a great track.

• 3 months later...

Drove up from Broward and played the Florida Club last month. Course was in great shape and the greens were perfect. I chase great greens down here and it was worth the drive. 

• Like 2

TM Qi10 LS 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/28/2022 at 1:01 PM, golfortennis said:

Instead of a new thread, any comments or updates on conditions of courses mentioned?  Improvements made to Champions?  How is Florida Club?

I played Champions Club at Summerfield a few weeks ago and the greens were superb. Course has a few spots nit-pickers will gripe over, but for my money, its a good value and an enjoyable round. I paid under $50 when Florida Club was like $80.

One big thing to note in this thread is The Fox Club has become private once again and now call themselves The Cape Club of Palm City and apparently got super uppety/douchey. Bought by some Massachusetts snow birds or something.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know the conditions at Legacy inside PGA?  

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Sitting in PBI waiting for our flight back to Boston after a nice 4 day golf break with my son.  We stayed up in Port St Lucie just off I95.

Day 1: Florida Club

Day 2: North Palm Beach and Palm Beach Par3

Day 3: Abacoa

Day 4: Hammock Creek

All of the 18 holes courses were in good to great shape. Although not immediately obvious,   NPB still had a lot of sand  on the greens and it tended to get accumulated on your putter even on practice strokes so you had to wipe it down a lot.  Those greens are tough enough to read and putt without that sand.

in terms of enjoyment, layout and golf experience for the 18 hole courses I'd order it

1 - Abacoa

2T -Florida Club and Hammock Creek

4 - North Palm Beach

NPB is OK but it's a little overrated IMHO.  enjoyable but not a must play IMO.

Hammock Creek was the one that surprised me.  They had the best and fastest greens out of the 4 and it's a lot better looking and interesting layout than the website photos and YouTube videos make it out to be.  Plus the wide fairways make it a nice relaxing round!  Pace of play was decent for a Saturday AM and the staff were good.  Nice range and chipping area right next to the clubhouse.  Staff were great and very friendly.  

Florida Club is IMO a slightly better layout than Hammock Creek but the greens while fine were not  quite as good and fast.  Always enjoyable and in good condition.  Nice grass range.  Great pace of play. 

Abacoa is always solid and probably the best combination. all round experience re layout, conditioning, pace of play and facilities.  It's relatively expensive but it's more of a "member for the day" experience.

Oh and the Palm Beach Par 3 is a blast and must play.  It's sandwiched between the Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway.   Not sure why people take carts as it's an easy walk and a nice break from Cart Golf on the other days.  Always windy which adds to the challenge of the holes.  Some of the holes were tough mid length Par 3s  and some were shorter 100-120  yard holes but all were a lot of fun!

• Thanks 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

@MyShortGameSucks glad you enjoyed your trip!! I'm a PSL local, live in Tradition area. I couldn't agree more with your ratings (I've heard Abacoa is good, but too much $ right now). Since St. lucie Trail and Fox Club have become private, Hammock Creek and FL Club have gotten a LOT of play, and they can easily get the $80+ rates. 

I play Hammock Creek every few weeks as well as FL club and they're both in great shape. 

Those two, combined with the PGA courses in the summer, make for a really good golf experience here in the Southern Treasure Coast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLGOLFJUNKIE said:

@MyShortGameSucks glad you enjoyed your trip!! I'm a PSL local, live in Tradition area. I couldn't agree more with your ratings (I've heard Abacoa is good, but too much $ right now). Since St. lucie Trail and Fox Club have become private, Hammock Creek and FL Club have gotten a LOT of play, and they can easily get the $80+ rates. 

I play Hammock Creek every few weeks as well as FL club and they're both in great shape. 

Those two, combined with the PGA courses in the summer, make for a really good golf experience here in the Southern Treasure Coast.

Hey @FLGOLFJUNKIEthanks for the comments!    I love coming down to the area to play and try and break up the long New England Winter weather.  Normally we also hit up some folks/friends at privates like Turtle Creek, Banyan Creek, Johnathon's Landing etc but it did not work out this time.  Despite that I thoroughly enjoyed these 4 public access courses and really they are in just as good shape as Turtle Creek was last year.  I am bummed Fox Club went private as I enjoyed that course.   Ditto St Lucie Trails as that would have been super convenient to the hotel we stayed at.  I really wanted to play Jensen Beach again but my son flat-out refused to play it again 🙂

Next time we come down I'll shoot you a message and see if we can hook up to play!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, pearls24 said:

Anyone know the conditions at Legacy inside PGA?  

I just played it and while its a little soft in a few places, its in great shape. The greens are tricky with plenty of false fronts, ledges, and slope. The day I played greens were lightly sanded a few days before, but putts rolled true. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, MyShortGameSucks said:

Hey @FLGOLFJUNKIEthanks for the comments!    I love coming down to the area to play and try and break up the long New England Winter weather.  Normally we also hit up some folks/friends at privates like Turtle Creek, Banyan Creek, Johnathon's Landing etc but it did not work out this time.  Despite that I thoroughly enjoyed these 4 public access courses and really they are in just as good shape as Turtle Creek was last year.  I am bummed Fox Club went private as I enjoyed that course.   Ditto St Lucie Trails as that would have been super convenient to the hotel we stayed at.  I really wanted to play Jensen Beach again but my son flat-out refused to play it again 🙂

Next time we come down I'll shoot you a message and see if we can hook up to play!

Jensen Beach is a dump with a terrible lay out.  Your son is smart.