Stuart, FL

tmurphy686

• 3 weeks later...

Champions Club in Stuart is about 30 minutes from there. Greens normally in good shape and a tough track from the tips. Reasonably priced and not hard to get a tee time.

I would add if it’s rainy prior to your visit don’t play there. Course does not drain well. Played there this weekend and it was great, very firm.

Martin Downs in Palm City is a nice track and very affordable. It has been years, but I was always enjoyed it.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Lost Lakes

Florida Club

Hammock Creek

Champions Club at Summerfield

Palm Cove golf and yacht club

All within 10-15 minutes of H.I.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

Just got back from Port St. Lucie and played all 3 of the PGA courses and St. Lucie Trails. The 3 PGA are amazing and in great shape. Greens were awesome and all 3 were very firm everywhere. SLT was in pretty good shape and greens were good too. Not as fast as PGA and layout is totally different- more of a shotmakers course where position is better than length. Def. worth a play though. Teetimesusa.com offers packages to PGA I believe. Might want to check them out.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 2 weeks later...

I've played Champions Club at Summerfield and Port St. Lucie Trail. I preferred Champions Club personally.

Have heard good things about Lost Lakes and have wanted to go but no tee times whenever I have an opportunity to go down there (1hr+ south of me.)

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 8 months later...

Restarting this thread. Lady and I got an AirBnb near Fort Pierce for 3 weeks in December. Started looking at courses in the area and the reviews seem to be pretty tough lately with how much rain the area has gotten. 

Apart from PGA Village, it looks like SLT, Florida Club, Champions Club at Summerfield, and Lost Lake. Any thoughts on Meadowood, Champion Turf Club at St. James, Indian Hills, The Fox Club, and Jensen Beach?

Also for longer drives which of these are worth it: PGA National, North Palm Beach CC? Is Southern Dunes worth the 2ish hour drive? And any chance Streamsong offers discounts on same day replays? Thanks

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

13 hours ago, RobYakes said:

Restarting this thread. Lady and I got an AirBnb near Fort Pierce for 3 weeks in December. Started looking at courses in the area and the reviews seem to be pretty tough lately with how much rain the area has gotten. 

Apart from PGA Village, it looks like SLT, Florida Club, Champions Club at Summerfield, and Lost Lake. Any thoughts on Meadowood, Champion Turf Club at St. James, Indian Hills, The Fox Club, and Jensen Beach?

Also for longer drives which of these are worth it: PGA National, North Palm Beach CC? Is Southern Dunes worth the 2ish hour drive? And any chance Streamsong offers discounts on same day replays? Thanks

Played the Fox Club.  Formerly a private club, pretty good option.  Just off I-95 so not too bad from FP.  St James...I have to give them props as my pro has some teaching privileges there despite not actually working there.  I think the conditions have been improved from 5 years ago, but not sure if I would rate it above some of the others.  Jensen Beach...are you talking about Eagle Marsh?  I have been told that it is extremely target golf. Most Florida courses are somewhat that due to water everywhere, but it takes things to a different level.  

I thought Meadowood was private but maybe that has changed.  I believe it is a pretty good.  Another place to consider, but bit of a drive is Hammock Creek.  If you are walkers I believe they have begun to allow walking, and it is actually walkable. 

AS for longer drives, I haven't played Southern Dunes, but I have a hard time believing it is worth a 2 hour drive over what is in the Treasure Coast area.  It's a good course, but a 2 hour drive and what green fee?  Not sure it's *that* good.  Streamsong is a different animal.  PGA National, if you can get on, the Champion Course is a good course.  Always good to play a course the pros play.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobYakes said:

I play the two courses at Sandridge GC up here in Vero Beach and they're really popular, well-run and inexpensive.

Otherwise, I love the PGA Village courses (Dye especially, but Ryder and Wanamaker are really good as well). St. Lucie Trail is a good value, and Florida Club is strong too. Champions Club is okay, Lost Lake less so, IMO. North Palm Beach CC is worth playing. I haven't played Jensen Beach GC since it came under new ownership. Meadowood is fairly standard and solid.

The rain this fall has been relentless, but hopefully we're past it now. The best-draining course of all the ones you listed, by a good margin, is Indian Hills.

I like Southern Dunes a lot, but is it worth the whole day it will take to drive there, play and drive back from Ft. P, especially when there are so many other courses you could check out that are closer? Borderline. Streamsong is a much easier "Yes" to that question, but this time of year I don't believe there's much way to avoid paying $$$ to play.

Make sure you have lunch or dinner at 12A Buoy while you're in Ft. Pierce, too. Enjoy your time in FL.

• Like 1

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Stuart, Fox Club is a good course, but it can get muddy when they get a lot of rain.  PGA Village is great, especially the Dye course.  Martin County golf course was just redone and I've heard good things.  Florida club is also a good option.  I'd avoid Martin Downs and Hammock Creek, played them in October and they were in really bad shape.  

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

2 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

I live in Stuart, Fox Club is a good course, but it can get muddy when they get a lot of rain.  PGA Village is great, especially the Dye course.  Martin County golf course was just redone and I've heard good things.  Florida club is also a good option.  I'd avoid Martin Downs and Hammock Creek, played them in October and they were in really bad shape.  

Any idea why those courses are in bad shape?  Isn't Martin Downs still private?  Or is that public and the revitalized course the private one?

Played Fox Club on Monday and it wasn’t in the greatest shape. Greens were solid but they had just sanded. Playing Ryder and Wanamaker over the next two days. Champions Club at Summerfield Friday and St Lucie Trail Sunday. 

Want to try to get on Dye Course at PGA next week, as well as Florida Club. Maybe make the drive up to Sandridge and down to North Palm Beach CC. Also heard Abaco is worth a round?

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

2 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

Any idea why those courses are in bad shape?  Isn't Martin Downs still private?  Or is that public and the revitalized course the private one?

Martin Downs has 2 courses, Osprey Creek is the private one. 

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

1 hour ago, RobYakes said:

Played Fox Club on Monday and it wasn’t in the greatest shape. Greens were solid but they had just sanded. Playing Ryder and Wanamaker over the next two days. Champions Club at Summerfield Friday and St Lucie Trail Sunday. 

Want to try to get on Dye Course at PGA next week, as well as Florida Club. Maybe make the drive up to Sandridge and down to North Palm Beach CC. Also heard Abaco is worth a round?

The area had a lot of rain in the late summer and fall.  Many courses were flooded for quite some time and they hadn't recovered.  I played Ryder and Wanamaker in late October, Wanamaker was in pretty rough shape, Dye was better.  I also played Fox club during that time and it was a mess.  My home course was being renovated and Fox club was a reciprocal, they charged us $60 to play in mud and swamp land.  The weather has been better so I expect all the PGA Village courses to be in good shape.  Never played Sandridge or Abaco.  

• Like 1

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

@new2g0lf or any other folks, I’m down in the area until Jan 1st if any WRXers want to hit the links. Florida Club only offers hot deals via TeeOff for 2 or more. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

too bad about martin downs.  last i played there roughly 4-5 years ago, it was in great shape and was holding a mini tour event...i'm assuming it was the public one(crane creek?) while the other course was closed while it was having work done.

22 minutes ago, th6252 said:

too bad about martin downs.  last i played there roughly 4-5 years ago, it was in great shape and was holding a mini tour event...i'm assuming it was the public one(crane creek?) while the other course was closed while it was having work done.

I think Crane Creek is now Osprey and that's the private course.  I'd be shocked if they held a mini tour event at the public course, it's not very good or challenging.  I'm sure once the courses dry out they will be fine, but flooding has been a real problem in the area.  

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

7 minutes ago, new2g0lf said:

I think Crane Creek is now Osprey and that's the private course.  I'd be shocked if they held a mini tour event at the public course, it's not very good or challenging.  I'm sure once the courses dry out they will be fine, but flooding has been a real problem in the area.  

Again I can't recall exactly which course I played, was just assuming it was the public course since I'm a nobody and booked a tee time online.  But there actually was a mini tour event there as I went to the range after my roundto try to clean up some swing issues and noticed a bunch of guys warming up who were way out of my league(huge understatement).  I asked the starter what was going on and he told me there was a mini tour event going on which was the reason my tee time was the last available round of the morning.

Edited by th6252

Florida Club has the best greens in the area right now, and overall course condition is awesome. Played Hammock Creek yesterday, love the course, however greens were a little slow for my liking. I usually bounce around between Florida Club, Hammock Creek, Fox Club, St. Lucie Trail and St. James (live 2 mins from there and they have great greens!). IF anyone wants to link up, hit me up via PM! 

On 12/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, new2g0lf said:

For the record, the private club you're referring to was previously the Crane Creek course at Martin Downs, and is now called Banyan Creek Golf Club. I played it a couple years ago; it's very low-key and the course is really solid. Well worth playing if you can get on: https://www.banyancreekgolfclub.com/.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

• Like 1

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

• 2 weeks later...

Played The Fox Club after Christmas. Tim Herron and his son were behind me. Course is interesting, formerly private, lots of work going on to clear brush around course. Could use some cartpath work. Bunkers were being filled in with soft fluffy DEEP sand.  Had some good holes, some tough holes, and a few that just felt lazy to fit in the land available.  Greens were slick. Local knowledge or a phone app with images of hole layout would be ideal for 1st time players.

It was a 70min drive for me from Melbourne, I think I enjoy Florida club more, but for a 36 hole day, those two courses would do.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

20 minutes ago, markheardjr said:

Played The Fox Club after Christmas. Tim Herron and his son were behind me. Course is interesting, formerly private, lots of work going on to clear brush around course. Could use some cartpath work. Bunkers were being filled in with soft fluffy DEEP sand.  Had some good holes, some tough holes, and a few that just felt lazy to fit in the land available.  Greens were slick. Local knowledge or a phone app with images of hole layout would be ideal for 1st time players.

It was a 70min drive for me from Melbourne, I think I enjoy Florida club more, but for a 36 hole day, those two courses would do.

What he said. Played both last week, fox club was really nice but the florida club was a little better. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

Got back to DC this past weekend after spending 3 weeks with the lady in an AirBnB in Fort Pierce. Played the following (order in terms of my ranking). Loved PGA Village practice and warmup facilities, but the green fees were a bit overpriced in my opinion. North Palm Beach CC also overpriced with warmup areas that rival your local muni. Of note" St. Lucie Trail and PGA Village were only courses that include range balls for free (PGA is unlimited, St. Lucie is small bucket)

• Dye Course @ PGA Village (completely different than other 2 PGA courses and really enjoyable. Some of the green complexes are stupid penal)
  • Ryder Course @ PGA Village (solid and enjoyable resort-style course and good conditions)
  • North Palm Beach CC (bit of a drive but really fun course. don't know how I feel about Nicklaus' redesign touches as greens were stupid)
  • Florida Club (solid classic FL course at a good price point)
  • St. Lucie Trail GC (decent track in decent shape)
  • Wanamaker Course @ PGA Village (least favorite of PGA Village. Water comes in tight around a lot of green areas and gets pretty penal)
  • Champions Club at Summerfield (another course with some stupid target-golf holes and not in good shape)
  • Fox Club (layout was weird, not in a good way. Conditions were very poor)

17 hours ago, RobYakes said:

Got back to DC this past weekend after spending 3 weeks with the lady in an AirBnB in Fort Pierce. Played the following (order in terms of my ranking). Loved PGA Village practice and warmup facilities, but the green fees were a bit overpriced in my opinion. North Palm Beach CC also overpriced with warmup areas that rival your local muni. Of note" St. Lucie Trail and PGA Village were only courses that include range balls for free (PGA is unlimited, St. Lucie is small bucket)

• Dye Course @ PGA Village (completely different than other 2 PGA courses and really enjoyable. Some of the green complexes are stupid penal)
  • Ryder Course @ PGA Village (solid and enjoyable resort-style course and good conditions)
  • North Palm Beach CC (bit of a drive but really fun course. don't know how I feel about Nicklaus' redesign touches as greens were stupid)
  • Florida Club (solid classic FL course at a good price point)
  • St. Lucie Trail GC (decent track in decent shape)
  • Wanamaker Course @ PGA Village (least favorite of PGA Village. Water comes in tight around a lot of green areas and gets pretty penal)
  • Champions Club at Summerfield (another course with some stupid target-golf holes and not in good shape)
  • Fox Club (layout was weird, not in a good way. Conditions were very poor)

So it's interesting at PGA Village.  I wonder if they still know what they want to do.  Before they sold what is now St Lucie Trail, that was the member's private course.  Then they had blocked tee times on a course at the 3.  Then they decided to push membership harder, make the three at PGAV the focus.  So now there is one course that is "resort" course for the day, and the other two are members only.  Except that they usually host a boat load of PGA sanctioned tournaments, which is fine since the resort course remains, oops, sorry.  No public play those days.  Add to that the fact they sold the learning center, which, if I had paid initiation prior to that I would have been royally peeved.  If you had never practiced there, you wouldn't know it, but as a benefit of your membership, it was an incredible facility. 

Now that the PGA oA is moving their stuff to Texas, you have to wonder what the future holds for that place.  Are they still going to keep it as part of their for-profit arm? 

What is really strange is they always hold tournaments on the Wanamaker, which I don't understand.  I'd play the Dye course, and use the various tees.  It can play very long, but there can be a lot of options.  Ryder course is the easiest one, and everyone I've ever been paired with, except for one guy, has said that one is their favorite.  The one guy was a multi-time US Amateur qualifier who had a very different perspective. 

I know a couple members used to be on here but not sure if they are still active who might be able to fill in on what the future may hold.

30 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

So it's interesting at PGA Village.  I wonder if they still know what they want to do.  Before they sold what is now St Lucie Trail, that was the member's private course.  Then they had blocked tee times on a course at the 3.  Then they decided to push membership harder, make the three at PGAV the focus.  So now there is one course that is "resort" course for the day, and the other two are members only.  Except that they usually host a boat load of PGA sanctioned tournaments, which is fine since the resort course remains, oops, sorry.  No public play those days.  Add to that the fact they sold the learning center, which, if I had paid initiation prior to that I would have been royally peeved.  If you had never practiced there, you wouldn't know it, but as a benefit of your membership, it was an incredible facility. 

Now that the PGA oA is moving their stuff to Texas, you have to wonder what the future holds for that place.  Are they still going to keep it as part of their for-profit arm? 

What is really strange is they always hold tournaments on the Wanamaker, which I don't understand.  I'd play the Dye course, and use the various tees.  It can play very long, but there can be a lot of options.  Ryder course is the easiest one, and everyone I've ever been paired with, except for one guy, has said that one is their favorite.  The one guy was a multi-time US Amateur qualifier who had a very different perspective. 

I know a couple members used to be on here but not sure if they are still active who might be able to fill in on what the future may hold.

It makes sense why PGA Village sold off St. Lucie Trail as it's not connected to the main clubhouse and IMO I don't think it offers much in the way of specialty versus the other 3. Thought the rotation of offering 1/3 for members only each day made sense, and I had no problem finding public times on the others each day with the 7-day window they give for advanced public times. There was at least one tourney going on (on Wanamaker) the morning I played it, but afternoon times were avail. Definitely interesting to see what PGA does with their move to Texas. Most of the members I played with over the couple rounds were either snowbirds or lived full-time in the surrounding Village communities but I didn't ask what the membership costs were and what kind of privileges it offered.